I was a Blackberry loyalist until the iPhone 4s, which went about 10 months before everything started crashing and the battery life was unusuably bad. I dropped Apple after that and went to Samsung for the Note 3, which I loved for two years, but without heavily using the S Pen the Note series is just huge phones with a ton of Samsung bloatware. In the interest of a smaller phone and upgraded hardware and software, I switched to the S6. Sweet tiny baby Jesus do I hate this phone. I have no idea how other carriers get so heavily scrutinized for every little hiccup and Samsung can release this bugfest to universal acclaim. They have lost me, likely for life.

In any case, I ordered a used Classic to tide me over while I decide on the Priv. Got a great price, why not? I can just resell when I decide on the Priv.

So, the Priv. I'm sure you're all well aware of the reviews and hiccups. Pocketnow, my favorite phone reviewers, said "The Priv needs the Marshmallow update more than any Android phone in existence". They were mostly positive in their review, but I thought that was a little damning. I've also read about the plethora of other issues, from heat (maybe exaggerated by people not used to Snapdragon processors) to battery life (maybe exaggerated by people unaccustomed to non-BB7/10 phones) and most worrisome, crashing and lag issues. I already have a phone with constant crashing and lag, it's called the S6.

Soooo... have they fixed the Priv to the point where I should sell this classic immediately and upgrade, or should I wait for Marshmallow? Maybe I should wait for the Vienna, along with those flying pigs and hell freezing over? Kidding, kidding.. I think. Thanks for any advice you guys can give!
    02-29-16 05:04 PM
    I don't have any problems with my Priv and I'm not in denial, but I go thru all the settings and disable a lot of things that might cause lag or kill the battery, like and advanced interactions, or any thing that wakes the device besides the power button
    02-29-16 05:09 PM
    Well, personally for me lag is very rare. Although I did disable 3 quarters of the google crap.

Also, very little crashing. I can't remember the last time that anything crashed.

I'm sure some people are having issues, it is android after all, but it's been pretty smooth sailing for me.

Heat is still there. It's an android, they run hot. The plastic back doesn't help much.

And of course, still no clue when MM will be on there. I do believe it would make things better.

For a first outing, I think it's solid. It's no Huawei, but very few companies can compete with our Chinese android overlords.

Posted via -sigh- Priv. Guess we have to get used to Android guys....
    02-29-16 05:10 PM
    Thanks guys.. Have they been overly critical of the keyboard, or is it not great? I've heard "creaky" and "cramped" used several times.
    02-29-16 05:13 PM
    I mean coming from the passport it is cramped, but I'd say it's like the size of the classic, which I was in a dilemma because I kinda wanted to trade my passport for a classic so I can text one handed sometimes, but didn't want to have a phone much smaller with smaller specs than the passport, making me switching to the priv an easier decision
    02-29-16 05:18 PM
    I don't think the Priv needs fixing. Tech writers these days have a hard on for Apple also. I take it all with a grain of salt.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    paulbbp likes this.
    02-29-16 05:28 PM
    No lag for me either. But I use almost none of the Google Apps other than maps. Use the hub, BlackBerry calendar, and BlackBerry contacts. No lag. No crashes.

I do get heat during OS updates and a lesser amount during wireless charging. That's it. Having said that, I am not a gamer so probably don't really push my Priv. I do have three activesync accounts and 3 imap accounts syncing to this phone....

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Priv
    02-29-16 06:42 PM
    The Priv was never broken...

BBM Channel: C0001F285
    paulbbp likes this.
    02-29-16 07:09 PM
    One glance through these forums creates a strong counter-point to your assertion
    03-01-16 08:40 AM
    That's true about any phone.

03-01-16 08:55 AM
    Thanks guys.. Have they been overly critical of the keyboard, or is it not great? I've heard "creaky" and "cramped" used several times.
    It's much like the old Torch. This phone reminds me of a modernization of the Torch. If you liked it, you'll be happy.

Enjoying the Priv
    tonycara57 likes this.
    03-01-16 09:03 AM
    I love the phone. I hate android, but it is what it is. No lag, no crashes, same as the others I optimized it for battery life. Overall a very solid phone. The heat is no big deal. My passport heated up just as much when running android apps.

A great attention grabbing phone. With android, the negativity about blackberry is not there. Everyone I have shown the phone to gets excited.

mania626 and so crow like this.
    03-01-16 09:10 AM
    I've had my priv for almost two months now.
    I had heat,battery issues at first but after a while these issues went away. I also noticed better battery life since I switched to Nova pro launcher which looks gorgeous on my phone.

Blackberry keeps upgrading the phone software all the time. In fact several updates came out today so I am confident 6.0 will come to priv soon.

I am very happy with the phone. This is first time when I have no complaints. I had complaints with z10 or z30 but here not so much. With my previous phones I would feel like I would get one feature as a trade off for another. Not with priv.

I would recommend this phone without hesitation. It is really good, we'll designed and productive tool.

Did I mention physical keyboard. It is awesome. It took me a while to adjust from virtual keyboard but now I keep using all the time. This is crazy because I do not need to look at keyboard to type.

03-01-16 09:14 AM
    I don't have issues with my Priv. It's cool now, but heats up yes when working on it for long periods. I hardly use the physical keyboard as I got used to touchscreen over the years. The slide out keyboard comes in handy when reading long emails, documents, web pages etc.
    03-01-16 09:16 AM
    it is not broken, I use it daily for business
    updates to apps and new features or bring some features from BB10 is another matter...
    paulbbp likes this.
    03-01-16 09:16 AM
    I think there is slight lag with the hub.

My benchmark devices before this were the PP and iPhone 6s+ and I'd say that the priv does feel generally more sluggish than both of them. Just IMO.
    03-01-16 11:22 AM
    I've had my priv for almost two months now.
    I had heat,battery issues at first but after a while these issues went away. I also noticed better battery life since I switched to Nova pro launcher which looks gorgeous on my phone.

Blackberry keeps upgrading the phone software all the time. In fact several updates came out today so I am confident 6.0 will come to priv soon.

I am very happy with the phone. This is first time when I have no complaints. I had complaints with z10 or z30 but here not so much. With my previous phones I would feel like I would get one feature as a trade off for another. Not with priv.

I would recommend this phone without hesitation. It is really good, we'll designed and productive tool.

Did I mention physical keyboard. It is awesome. It took me a while to adjust from virtual keyboard but now I keep using all the time. This is crazy because I do not need to look at keyboard to type.

I use Nova on my Samsung. Does using it on the Priv mess with the Hub? Thanks.
    03-01-16 12:33 PM
    I have been using a Priv since the device was launched here in the USA and I have had none of the heating, clicking screen or lag issues.

I have a AT&T version unlocked and using it on T Mobile USA. So far the device has been solid and reliable and only gets better with each update.
    DJBS4LIFE and paulbbp like this.
    03-01-16 12:44 PM
    I am using the Priv since mid of December , no lag, no battery problems , excellent building quality. Coming from the passport I was a little skeptical about the physical keyboard particularly when read in the forums that is cramped, useless etc but this is absolutely no true ! It took me just a couple of days to get used with it and write as fast and comfortable as with my passport. Being also a user of the torch at the time I assure you that the Priv keyboard is way.....better !
    DJBS4LIFE likes this.
    03-01-16 01:22 PM
    I use Nova on my Samsung. Does using it on the Priv mess with the Hub? Thanks.
    Hub works fine. In fact it works better because teslaunread supports hub now and it shows unread messages from hub
    03-01-16 09:10 PM
    I got the Priv and am very happy. It seems Blackberry fixed the widely reported issues with their most recent updates. Very happy.
    03-15-16 03:41 PM