Hi guys,
    I had been paranoid after watching one of the clips on YouTube regarding how easily the lens can be scratched, thanks to the plastic nature it has.

I still haven't removed the OEM protector it has. I was wondering if anyone who has been using the camera, ended up scratching it. If not, do they have a case of any sort? How bad the quality of the plastic is despite of what the YouTube claims?

BTW, I've got the official PRIV leather Pouch. So it ain't naked in my pocked 😉

Posted via BlackBerry Priv
    03-26-16 09:40 PM
    Mine seems okay so far. And I only have the back case on and the lens is exposed. As long as you don't put ur phone with keys or coins I think you should be fine.
    ridmaur likes this.
    03-26-16 10:14 PM
    I am using the flip case . The lens is protected . Now three months with the device. No issues at all.

Blackberry Priv on Etisalat 4G Network
    03-26-16 10:17 PM
    Hi guys,
    I had been paranoid after watching one of the clips on YouTube regarding how easily the lens can be scratched, thanks to the plastic nature it has.

I still haven't removed the OEM protector it has. I was wondering if anyone who has been using the camera, ended up scratching it. If not, do they have a case of any sort? How bad the quality of the plastic is despite of what the YouTube claims?

BTW, I've got the official PRIV leather Pouch. So it ain't naked in my pocked ��

The main issue would be keeping the lens clean using a microfiber cloth but accidentally wiping with a small piece of grit that you don't notice. Most camera lens' are protected by a shutter of some kind or lens cap. The phone gets dropped into pockets on tables and desks, slowly picking up lint or finger prints. Those need to be wiped off CAREFULLY.

Martin Fields sells a screen protector and included is a small circular lens protector. Not sure if it is more durable than the actual lens. The Priv's lens should have been GLASS.
    03-26-16 10:17 PM
    Anything is better than nothing. Just checked his website.
    Has anyone bought from Martin Fields before?

03-26-16 10:39 PM
    I have purchased from them before and I actually did purchase the combo although I no longer needed a screen protector for the Priv.

I can't recall which phone, the Z10 or earlier where I had a Martin Fields screen protector. What I liked was it did not need liquid.

I purchased it through Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Martin-Fields-...UvbUpU12342019
    03-26-16 10:58 PM
    I purchased the Martin Fields screen protector (junk) solely for the lens protector that accompanied the set-up... (It actually comes with 2 lens protectors, so I have an extra to boot...) Fits PERFECTLY, doesn't affect the quality of the picture and so far NO scratches. I carry my Priv pseudo-nakie, wearing only a transparent full body skin, screen protector and lens protector... I do have a BlackBerry drawstring pouch that came with the sunglasses I won from an @BlackBerry twitter swag contest several years ago... Sunglasses are toast, but the pouch seems as though it was made to tout the Priv so when not in use, this is where I park it.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-16 08:59 AM
    I have had my Priv since Canadian release day...the camera lens is now well scratched. I have had in the BlackBerry side flip case since day 1. It is scratched enough to have lens flare whenever there is a pinpoint light source visible to lens. I will have to send off for repair/replace soon. I work in a sometimes dusty environment, Phone always in front shirt pocket.
    03-27-16 05:45 PM
    I took an old universal screen protector and crudely cut up a small circle and used that as a protector.
    03-27-16 06:30 PM
    Haven't really been focusing on the different opportunities for scratches on the Priv, instead, I've been enjoying everything about the device and focusing more on how much it gives to my life.

However, if a person is thinking about the different ways the device can be damaged, I suggest using one of those apple iphone home button protectors. It seems like that would likely fit perfectly over the Priv lens.

Best of luck!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-27-16 07:42 PM
    Have had mine since November, no case or screen protector, carry it around in my pocket. No scratches anywhere yet.

03-27-16 08:31 PM
    i do not fear scratches on my priv camera, and i use it pretty much all the time, when fishing, hiking or running. in case minor scratches do manage to scribble themselves on the lens glass, i wouldn't think it would noticably effect the pictures, as the focus is always way beyond the glass itself. and by the way, this smartphone camera is the best i have ever had the pleasure of using
    03-28-16 09:06 AM
    i do not fear scratches on my priv camera, and i use it pretty much all the time, when fishing, hiking or running. in case minor scratches do manage to scribble themselves on the lens glass, i wouldn't think it would noticably effect the pictures, as the focus is always way beyond the glass itself. and by the way, this smartphone camera is the best i have ever had the pleasure of using
    Correct, minor scratches would or should not show up in pictures as focus is way beyond glass/plastic.

Posted from my Priv
    03-28-16 09:13 AM
    See Reply 8 above. While the focus would generally "see through" a scratch or scuff, they can cause light flares. I have that on a Canon camera. Most shots were fine but if the sun or light hit it at the wrong (right) angle, I'd get this little purple comet in my pictures. So, avoiding any damage to the lens should be a primary objective.

Has anyone scratched the camera lens yet?-img_6709.jpgHas anyone scratched the camera lens yet?-img_6116.jpgHas anyone scratched the camera lens yet?-img_6113.jpg
    03-28-16 10:25 AM
    Like I mentioned in another thread, consider using a piece of black electrical tape cut to size. You'd cover your expensive SLR lenses. In the same way, with phone camera image quality continually improving, I don't see a reason why one wouldn't want to do the same.

I believe the back cover us merely plain transparent glass. The actual lens elements are within the camera module itself.

03-28-16 02:00 PM
    Like I mentioned in another thread, consider using a piece of black electrical tape cut to size. You'd cover your expensive SLR lenses. In the same way, with phone camera image quality continually improving, I don't see a reason why one wouldn't want to do the same.

I believe the back cover us merely plain transparent glass. The actual lens elements are within the camera module itself.

I have been considering creating some kind of "shutter" to slide between the camera and my case. The issue is keeping it somewhat convenient to use and not lose.

In that take-apart video it cut so easy that I think it is some type of plastic. A blade generally does not mar glass.
    03-28-16 04:26 PM
    See Reply 8 above. While the focus would generally "see through" a scratch or scuff, they can cause light flares. I have that on a Canon camera. Most shots were fine but if the sun or light hit it at the wrong (right) angle, I'd get this little purple comet in my pictures. So, avoiding any damage to the lens should be a primary objective.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6709.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	303.0 KB 
ID:	395481Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6116.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	395482Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6113.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	304.1 KB 
ID:	395483
    Ya right scratches and light flares, we all know those pictures actually contain UFOs
    FF22 likes this.
    03-28-16 05:13 PM
    Ya right scratches and light flares, we all know those pictures actually contain UFOs
    I was just thinking the same thing actually...

Posted via CB10
    03-28-16 05:19 PM
    Oh, that's me when I trip and become an unknown flying object.

I had a number of blemished pictures until I replaced that camera.
    03-28-16 06:04 PM
    I've just scratched my Priv camera lens... when cleaning the device :-)
    The back is sooo grippy, my microfibre cloth "stuck" to it and took my Priv with :-)

The device landed on the floor on the screen, then bounced off to the back side and slid for about 5 meters.

Surprisingly, nothing else has been scratched. The screen condition is perfect, no scratches at all. The frame and back cover are perfect as well (I guess the camera height helped here).

However the lens caught some dust/sand particles and scratched.

It isn't even visible in normal light, but the scratches are actually "dots" looking like dust inside the camera.

The funniest thing is I never use any covers/cases or screen protectors, because I don't need them in everyday use - the camera in my pocket was always fine :-D

I asked BlackBerry for repair, but it looks like the repair is pretty simple:

All I need is a new back cover ($30) or just a new lens (but you can't buy it separately). It's really easy to remove the back cover - there are no screws or adhesives.
    I can take the lens from the new cover or replace the whole back cover and voilla ;-)

And it's got me thinking... I can order a glass lens with exact dimensions and simply replace the plastic one to the glass one if possible. I think I'll try it later.

The best thing is the camera is all fine, the only thing that scratches is the plastic lens that can be replaced easily. So no worries, people, Priv is still the best phone on the market ;-)
    FF22 likes this.
    02-17-17 11:02 AM
    As someone else recommended, I use the BlackBerry flip case with a small piece of electrical tape over the camera lens. It's cheap and works well - no scratches.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-17 02:01 PM
    As someone else recommended, I use the BlackBerry flip case with a small piece of electrical tape over the camera lens. It's cheap and works well - no scratches.

Posted via CB10
    You cover the camera lense?
    02-17-17 06:25 PM
    You cover the camera lense?
    Yes, I take it off and on as needed.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-17 07:50 AM
    Yes, I take it off and on as needed.

Posted via CB10
    No sticky residue?
    02-18-17 09:53 AM
    No sticky residue?