Does Google Assistant support Canadian English? Does anyone on a priv that has Canadian English as a setting ever get Google Assistant?
    03-19-17 07:25 AM
    It (will) support it, just hasn't officially been released in Canada.
    03-19-17 09:33 AM
    Yeah. I wish it was possible to customize the wake up phrase.
    I second that! I wish I could say something other than "ok Google"
    03-19-17 11:18 AM
    I have it but don't use it. Many things I have turned off and don't allow Google access to are required to use it. Don't need it that bad
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    03-19-17 12:16 PM
    Just did this: asked "When did Chuck Berry die?" Got a spoken response. Closed the app, then a few seconds later opened GA again and asked "What did he die of?" Got the appropriate response again. I wonder how long it remembers your last query. Will have to try a few experiments.
    00stryder likes this.
    03-19-17 03:26 PM
    Just did this: asked "When did Chuck Berry die?" Got a spoken response. Closed the app, then a few seconds later opened GA again and asked "What did he die of?" Got the appropriate response again. I wonder how long it remembers your last query. Will have to try a few experiments.
    CORRECTION: turns out I hadn't actually closed down the GA app, only put it in background. Interesting behavior, though, if you open GA and ask something like "Who were his parents?" Without specifying who. You get relevant facts about some arbitrary guy.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-19-17 03:38 PM
    That's cool to know, and kinda creepy...
    03-19-17 10:01 PM
    That's cool to know, and kinda creepy...
    Which is part of why I won't turn it on lol
    03-19-17 10:43 PM
    I have it but don't use it. Many things I have turned off and don't allow Google access to are required to use it. Don't need it that bad
    Months ago I decided to enable everything with Google Now except allowing "OK Google" to unlock my phone and see it would have a positive impact. I have to say so far it has. I use the reminder a lot for instance. For the short period I had Google Assistant (it switched back to Now after a day) I didn't see much difference between the two, but if it's better I'll welcome it.
    One of the things I like with Now is that it will answer some questions without the device being unlocked. For instance if I wake up in the middle of the night and its on the wireless charger, I ask it what time it is and it would answer though locked (but awake due to the charging). I don't think the Assistant does that which would be a bit of a bummer.
    03-21-17 12:02 PM
    I received the assistant update after I changed language to US English. Accidently switched it to Canada English and lost assistant, switched language back, and a couple hours assistant came back, however I had to redo all of the setting.
    03-21-17 01:16 PM
    One big thing I've noticed with the Google Assistant over Google Now is that the voice recognition seems to be more accurate. I'm a Brit living in the US and often have trouble with recognition of spoken word, even with UK and US enabled as dual languages and favoring UK for voice input. For some reason, GA seems to do a better job of recognizing "remind me to wake up when I get to work" instead of "spot my sandwich at going to get wake" .
    FF22 likes this.
    03-22-17 05:25 AM
    I have it and noticed that Google has my Gmail account linked to it and there's no way to sign out; anyone else notice this?
    03-22-17 11:49 AM
    Pretty sure it's necessary to be logged into your Google account to use it. It can pull from your calendar, contacts, maybe even email inbox (not sure about the last one). But anything Google typically requires you to be logged in.
    03-22-17 11:59 AM
    I'm back to using Now, but interestingly as of yesterday I noticed that the voice and accent has changed. Not sure what's up with that.
    03-23-17 10:33 AM
    I'm back to using Now, but interestingly as of yesterday I noticed that the voice and accent has changed. Not sure what's up with that.
    Why did you go back to Now? Just curious.
    03-23-17 11:04 AM
    Google Assistant doesn't seem to work with BBM. If I say "send Bob a BBM" it can't find any BBM contacts. Before it was "Assistant" the Google Now functionality worked well with BBM and I was able to send bbms without any problems. Anyone get it to work with BBM contacts yet? If so, how?! Thanks
    03-23-17 06:52 PM
    Just tested it with BBM, identified my contact and set up a message appropriately. Have you adjusted the Nickname in BBM perhaps?
    03-23-17 07:54 PM
    Just tested it with BBM, identified my contact and set up a message appropriately. Have you adjusted the Nickname in BBM perhaps?
    Nope, haven't changed anything. I did reset my Android watch though for another reason, which may have caused some sort of problem. My Android Wear watch shows no contacts too and doesn't execute BBM voice commands. Hmmm
    03-23-17 09:12 PM
    May need to force close the app and restart BBM, or restart your phone to see if that helps.
    kyleheney likes this.
    03-24-17 06:44 AM
    Why did you go back to Now? Just curious.
    It wasn't really by choice. I had forced the switch to Assistant by changing the language to US, but really preferred having it in UK, so I switched back the language. Assistant stayed for a while, but eventually went back to Now.
    During the time I used Assistant I didn't see any difference between it and Now, so not stressing over it. I guess I'll get it if they release for the UK language. Maybe this change with the voice is a prelude to that?
    03-24-17 09:29 AM
    May need to force close the app and restart BBM, or restart your phone to see if that helps.
    Thanks, I did that and seems to have worked. Appreciate it
    00stryder likes this.
    03-25-17 03:55 PM
    Reports are its a pretty massive battery, data and resource hog. Which is understandable since most if not all queries go back to Google severs where they are analyzed and stored. "to help improve the service, no personally identifiable blah, blah, blah"
    And it has to constantly monitor the microphones, listening for that 'magic phrase'.

I'm not going to go all tin foil hat about data collection, (Google prob knows everything about me already). But I am concerned about resource usage.

So you guys using it, please let us know about 'side effects'.
    03-26-17 08:37 AM
    Haven't noticed a terrible difference in battery life since the switch, but I don't use it daily so I'm not sure if that plays a part.

Not sure if other resources like RAM have taken a hit either, my phone gets sluggish weekly but I'm sure it's from one of the many other things I do like play Pokémon GO.
    03-26-17 09:16 AM
    I haven't noticed any hit in battery life. Seems about the same.
    03-26-17 10:02 AM
    It's mostly server based like Google Now, so I doubt you would see any difference to Google Now. With Now I saw no difference with resources when I started using it and I had everything activated except to unlock the phone.
    03-27-17 09:41 AM
122 ... 2345