Recently, when typing on the keyboard, I have found that it has started switching from letters to numbers and characters. This is becoming a frequent occurrence in the middle of my typing. I have to back space and then hit the up arrow, which then givens me the wrong character, but then when I backspace over that, I get back to letters. Any ideas?
    12-15-16 11:00 AM
    It's happens a few times to me my suggestion is try to leave it and maybe restart your device might fix it or are you accidently hitting the sym key or alt key
    12-15-16 12:50 PM
    I have had this happen to me as well, occasionally. I have had the Priv for over a year and it didn't do this before.
    12-15-16 04:10 PM
    Recently, when typing on the keyboard, I have found that it has started switching from letters to numbers and characters. This is becoming a frequent occurrence in the middle of my typing. I have to back space and then hit the up arrow, which then givens me the wrong character, but then when I backspace over that, I get back to letters. Any ideas?
    If you swipe down on the pkb, the virtual alt key and sym key keyboards come up on the screen, for one character only, and then disappear. The one character is mapped to the pkb as if you pressed the alt or sym key. The inadvertent character insertion happens to me as well if I don't lift my thumbs off the keyboard.
    12-15-16 07:21 PM
    It's happens a few times to me my suggestion is try to leave it and maybe restart your device might fix it or are you accidently hitting the sym key or alt key
    That's what I thought, but I don't think that's what I am doing...especially because this seems like a new problem...wasn't occurring previously...seems like something random is triggering this, although pushing the alt or up arrow key gives me one more character, and then the next one is back to letters, by that time I am usually a half dozen characters in and have to backspace...becoming pretty frustrating.
    12-20-16 11:53 AM
    If you swipe down on the pkb, the virtual alt key and sym key keyboards come up on the screen, for one character only, and then disappear. The one character is mapped to the pkb as if you pressed the alt or sym key. The inadvertent character insertion happens to me as well if I don't lift my thumbs off the keyboard.
    I don't understand this...can you be more specific as to what is occurring and how to fix it? Why would this only recently start to occur?
    12-20-16 11:54 AM
    I don't understand this...can you be more specific as to what is occurring and how to fix it? Why would this only recently start to occur?
    This is intentional, but you can turn it off:
    Settings > Language and Input > Physical keyboard (bottom of list) > turn off physical keyboard gestures.

Personally, I prefer swipe-down gestures to pressing the Alt and Sym keys, but then I got used to them during the 2 years I spent using the Passport.

Edit: turning off pkb gestures will also disable the "swipe left to delete the last word" gesture. The gestures are what differentiates the Priv pkb from those of the Classic and the BBOS devices.
    Last edited by ALToronto; 12-21-16 at 12:49 AM.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-21-16 12:35 AM
    This is intentional, but you can turn it off:
    Settings > Language and Input > Physical keyboard (bottom of list) > turn off physical keyboard gestures.

Personally, I prefer swipe-down gestures to pressing the Alt and Sym keys, but then I got used to them during the 2 years I spent using the Passport.

Edit: turning off pkb gestures will also disable the "swipe left to delete the last word" gesture. The gestures are what differentiates the Priv pkb from those of the Classic and the BBOS devices.
    I will try this as my Priv continues to decide to insert random characters while I am typing and it's very frustrating. Hope this helps.
    01-03-17 12:53 PM
    Turning it off, prevents you from using the keyboard as a trackpad to scroll up and down, which I do regularly. This is happening very regularly, reboots do nothing. I can't believe more people aren't having this problem???
    01-09-17 12:27 PM
    Turning it off, prevents you from using the keyboard as a trackpad to scroll up and down, which I do regularly. This is happening very regularly, reboots do nothing. I can't believe more people aren't having this problem???
    I sometimes unintentionally swipe down on the kb and then have to correct the resulting character, but it happens rarely enough that I would never disable the feature. Maybe I lift my thumbs farther than you do? I also grip the phone with the inside edges of my pinkie fingers so that the bottom doesn't tip forward.

I think the key is figuring out how to hold the phone so that it's stable while you type.
    01-11-17 08:52 PM
    It's usually when I inadvertenly press the alt key twice (mistakenly). The phone is made that way to call for making the next keys the alternative characters,symbols,and numbers. It's a gift. Just tap the alt key once and it will stop. The same goes for the arrow, tapped twice , it creates a string of CAPITAL letters. Tap once afterward and it cancels out your "order" you gave it. Wonderful tools.
    FF22 and anon(3641385) like this.
    01-12-17 09:54 AM
    It's happening to me too. I might have screwed things up using an Aukey 3.0 charger since the phone occasionally does weird things when on charger that it doesn't do otherwise.

Do any of you that are experiencing the random key insertions and random deletes use a rapid charger 2.0 or higher?
    01-12-17 08:05 PM
    I have a huge issue with my phone not recognizing my finger is no longer touching the key. As in, I push a button, and the phone notices I am pressing down, but doesn't notice I stopped pressing it until many seconds later. This means that it thinks I am holding down each letter enough to capitalize it, or for some letters that have accents, the long press is to insert the accented character. Same with space bar, pressing space once can lead to the space button being registered 20 to 40 times. Same with backspace, pressing backspace once will lead to it registering as being pressed many many times. This gets super frustrating when I am trying to delete extra spaces, only to have the backspace wipe out my entire text to the beginning.

This seems to happen when the phone is busy doing things in the background, but can happen anytime and in any app. This never happens with the virtual keyboard. It also never happens if I wait a full 2 seconds between each letter when typing. It gets worse the faster I type.

This has been happening since the phone was new a year ago, and no updates have fixed it.

Does anyone else experience this? Any fixes?
    01-19-17 11:30 AM
    @ajoh99, I've had it happen to me and my guess is that it's an electro static thing ..... I know that i can give and receive static depending on the wind and other circumstances, and I think that my finger/hand hovers too close to the keyboard and an electro static event occurs ....

Make sense?
    01-19-17 04:36 PM
    It's happening to me also and it is new. It's actually difficult to understand exactly what's happening. Basically, while using the physical keyboard, the on screen symbols pad seems to pop up unasked and then I get symbol inserted that I haven't asked for. Also, I occasionally seem to get entire words erased as if I had used the swipe left gesture when I have not. The two seem to happen together - the erasure happen when the symbols keypad is active. Very frustrating - really slows me down and makes me not want to use the physical keyboard. Only started in the last two months.
    01-19-17 06:40 PM
    If it's static related, maybe it's a winter/low humidity thing? I get the occasional swipe gesture registering when I haven't actually swiped. But this never happened with the Passport.
    01-20-17 08:17 AM
    Yeah. I have wondered about static related as well. But I never have it happen on passport and I was just in Florida for 2 weeks and it was happening there. Definitely not wintery - we had temps in the 80's most days.
    01-20-17 08:20 AM