First I want to say that the salesman at the AT&T store was visually excited about the phone. He really was enthusiastic about it. This was a total 180 from my last visit to an AT&T store at the Z10 launch in 2013.

He got me to a place where I could type on the phone.

I couldn't use the physical keyboard for crap. Now the problem is that I have memories of touch typing on my 8530 and 9810. Not worrying about error correction because my typing accuracy was fantastic. This keyboard, maybe because it's not curved like the BlackBerry keyboards used to be, but more likely it's the small and cramped keys, is just not anything that would bring me back to the old days of blind typing.

The thing is that with the error correction even though my thumbs were pressing multiple keys at once the phone pretty much knew what I was trying to type anyway.

But if I'm going to use auto correct and not be able to type accurately then what is the difference between that and a virtual keyboard?

Here's the thing: I don't know a thing about Android so that has nothing to do with how I feel. The phone was connected to anti theft devices so I couldn't really test the creaking noise. But I didn't feel any heat from it. The screen looked beautiful to me and it was only a couple phones down from a Samsung S6 Edge.

Now. 20 minutes in a store isn't enough to know for sure if I could ever get used to that small of a keyboard. But for 699 dollars I'm not going to get a slider that I can't use. I may as well get a Galaxy Note or some other Android with no keyboard.

OR. I just wait for 6 months and see if the price falls to the point where even if I can never use the keyboard it would still be a good value.

I'm in no real hurry to replace my Z30 but I'm just really bummed out that I couldn't use the keyboard on the Priv. My wife was able to use it and type pretty accurately but she has much smaller hands and fingers. But she doesn't want a physical keyboard and would be just as happy with an LG, Motorola, Samsung etc.

I'm just really disappointed because I wanted to love that keyboard so much that I couldn't stand waiting to order one. To me honestly if I'm going to use Android the keyboard is the only thing that would make me stay with BlackBerry.

So I'm looking at different phones now and comparing cameras and other features. I just can't justify the cost of the phone with a keyboard I'm not sure I'll ever get used to. And believe me I tried so hard to type on that keyboard.

I tried the S6 Edge and the Note and to me the virtual keyboard was just as easy to type on as the BlackBerry. The whole security thing isn't something that will affect my decision.

I still want that phone. But not at that price. And handling some of the other phones built with metal made me realize that there are so many options out there. My wife fell in love with the Note. I liked the customization of the Moto-X. Loved the steel feel of the V10. I guess at this point I just need to become active on Android central and start researching because since the only smart phones in ever used is BlackBerry. Now suddenly there are overwhelming choices.

What I wanted it happen: have the Priv keyboard be so big that I could turn off all auto correction and type with two thumbs like it was 2009.

About the only reason I want a new phone right now is I hate the camera on my Z30. But not enough to hurry into a change right now. I'm going to see if the Priv falls in price to something where I can try the keyboard for a long time and even if I can't ever use it still feel like I have a good phone for the price.

I feel like it's a phone that really could be used without ever opening the keyboard but just not at that price. For that price I may as well get the best specs and camera and speakers they money can buy.

I'm disappointed that BlackBerry didn't put everything into this keyboard. By everything I mean the best keyboard that ever existed. The shape and size of the Bold 9900. Or something very close. any Android user looking to come back to BlackBerry will be doing so for the keyboard. And I'm afraid they'll be as disappointed in it as I am.

This review is by someone who really wants to have a slider. The rest of the phone was fine (didn't get to test the speakers). But I'm just wondering if anyone understands where I'm coming from? For those people who think the keyboard is easy to type on I really envy you!

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2789 / T-Mobile USA
    11-11-15 10:57 PM
    your thread says switching to android? So have you actually switched? I am rocking a note 5 on one business line and an iPhone 6s+ on the primary. I held back on the Priv due to various specs that I find ... rather ... low. I am saving up for a passport SE for my return to BlackBerry soon...
    11-11-15 11:01 PM
    Also, you are missing the fact you get to keep the BlackBerry Experience Suite a Hub etc and the best VKB! . You won't get that in any other Android or iPhone.
    I don't really use the slider except o rare occasions. I love I have the at option though.
    Why get another Android when can get all that plus features of Priv. That is worth the extra 100-200 dollars

Posted from my Priv!
    11-11-15 11:10 PM
    On day one I couldn't type on the keyboard either and was wondering how I ever did. By day 3, the muscle memory is really coming back. And I'm loving the swipe to complete. Still faster on the onscreen keyboard but it's really nice to have the option. Just my two cents. It takes time after being away for a while.
    kertong and omi10468 like this.
    11-11-15 11:13 PM
    your thread says switching to android? So have you actually switched? I am rocking a note 5 on one business line and an iPhone 6s+ on the primary. I held back on the Priv due to various specs that I find ... rather ... low. I am saving up for a passport SE for my return to BlackBerry soon...
    Well, I'm switching at some point to Android. I'm probably going to stay with this Z30 for another 6 months even though I'm itching to get a phone with a great camera.

How do you like your Note 5? That's one that my wife really enjoyed, she loved the stylus. For her, she likes the apps, is disappointed BlackBerry never updates her Facebook app and so she uses the browser. But she sees her coworkers with various androids and I think she is really ready to switch.

I kept trying to swipe up just like Chen did on the video. Getting used to a home button is going to take some time I think.

Since I don't know anything about Android I just need to really do research and figure out what to do. I'm more apt to go ahead with the Priv. My heart still wants a BlackBerry even though my brain says if you're going to spend that much on an android be sure it's one you'll be happy with. I want to see how people are liking the camera on the Priv. I guess my trip to the store impressed me with how nice it looks. But the keyboard is what is holding me back on that one.

If I take the keyboard out of the equation is it really a better phone than some of the others?

Really if BlackBerry introduced an updated Z30 with a great camera and more internal memory and better screen and kept updating the android runtime I'd stay with bb10 for years. Just so used to the OS. But realistically I think sooner or later in going to have to switch to Android to get the camera I want.

11-12-15 12:59 AM
    Also, you are missing the fact you get to keep the BlackBerry Experience Suite a Hub etc and the best VKB! . You won't get that in any other Android or iPhone.
    I don't really use the slider except o rare occasions. I love I have the at option though.
    Why get another Android when can get all that plus features of Priv. That is worth the extra 100-200 dollars

Posted from my Priv!
    I get what you're saying. I can see using the Priv without ever sliding open the keyboard. And if the keyboard didn't matter to me I'd be all for it. But I really am nostalgic for that nice keyboard that was so easy to type on with no mistakes and no auto correct needed.

You know I may end up getting the Priv and not using the keyboard. Because I think with software updates it could be more and more like BB10. Right now the disappointment in the keyboard has knocked the wind out of my sails.

The guy at the AT&T store sure loved it though. His enthusiasm was infectious.

11-12-15 01:06 AM
    On day one I couldn't type on the keyboard either and was wondering how I ever did. By day 3, the muscle memory is really coming back. And I'm loving the swipe to complete. Still faster on the onscreen keyboard but it's really nice to have the option. Just my two cents. It takes time after being away for a while.
    See thats what I was wondering is if I'd get more accurate with it if I had it for a few days. Or weeks. What I'd like to know is if it's possible to turn off the auto correct... to basically make the physical keyboard totally manual and still keep all the bells and whistles on the virtual keyboard? They might help type better if I didn't know the thing would correct my sloppy typing.

But I got home and fired up my 9810 and was typing really great, kind of like riding a bicycle. So I'm not sure that for me the keyboard will ever feel big enough to type like I can on the Torch. And the Torch was not the best keyboard in the world compared to the 9900.

What I wanted was to slide that thing open and type like a madman and be able to say it was nice having the option of the virtual keyboard.

I guess right now at this price point I'm not willing to buy right this second until I'm pretty satisfied I'd be happy with the phone without ever using the physical keyboard. I thought it was a beautiful phone though. One of the nicest looking phones BlackBerry has made I think. If that keyboard was easier for me to type on then the price wouldn't be an issue at all. That's how bad I've wanted to have a slider.

I'm just going to maybe make a few more visits to the store and do some reading and research, and slow it down a bit and make sure I'm thinking straight before I get any phone right now. Haha. I sound pretty insane actually. It's just a phone. But for some reason it's this huge deal.

11-12-15 01:20 AM
    Well, I'm switching at some point to Android. I'm probably going to stay with this Z30 for another 6 months even though I'm itching to get a phone with a great camera.

How do you like your Note 5? That's one that my wife really enjoyed, she loved the stylus. For her, she likes the apps, is disappointed BlackBerry never updates her Facebook app and so she uses the browser. But she sees her coworkers with various androids and I think she is really ready to switch.

I kept trying to swipe up just like Chen did on the video. Getting used to a home button is going to take some time I think.

Since I don't know anything about Android I just need to really do research and figure out what to do. I'm more apt to go ahead with the Priv. My heart still wants a BlackBerry even though my brain says if you're going to spend that much on an android be sure it's one you'll be happy with. I want to see how people are liking the camera on the Priv. I guess my trip to the store impressed me with how nice it looks. But the keyboard is what is holding me back on that one.

If I take the keyboard out of the equation is it really a better phone than some of the others?

Really if BlackBerry introduced an updated Z30 with a great camera and more internal memory and better screen and kept updating the android runtime I'd stay with bb10 for years. Just so used to the OS. But realistically I think sooner or later in going to have to switch to Android to get the camera I want.

Hey I love the note. I am missing BB 10 though. Can't wait for SE! Let's see if andro Berry can supplement development of BB 10
    11-12-15 02:17 AM
    I tell you what OP, I was also disappointed in the Priv's keyboard...BUT if you are already using the Z30, and you're considering switching to an Android device, you may as well get the Priv - it's a normal phone with a great virtual keyboard - it just so happens to have a slide-out "trackpad" for scrolling through docs or websites. Which is exactly what it can be used for. The device otherwise seemed great to me.

BB does seem to have another keyboard Android on the way next year....I might hold out for that one...

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 01:30 PM