With very slim screen as sliding.. my friends r calling it very sensitive and easily breakable phone..
    So my question is is it gorilla glass there?
    What do u think about its strength?

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 06:33 PM
    I am guessing it will be quite durable. The Z30 and Passport are solid phones. The Torch also had good build quality. I will be checking out the entire phone when it gets released.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 06:46 PM
    BlackBerry has been known for good quality hardware. I had the torch and that thing was bulletproof, hope the slider will be as durable
    ayngling and z3user like this.
    09-24-15 07:01 PM
    Most probably be gorilla glass 3 but hopefully be 4 but doubt it

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-24-15 07:05 PM
    I dunno -- my first interaction with someone who had the Samsung Galaxy Edge was a CEO who after I said "Oh, is that the Edge?" held it up and said "This is a piece of garbage, that's what it is."

Apparently that was a replacement unit. He had dropped his first unit on the carpet during the first week owning it and it cracked edge-to-edge!

I think curved screens might be less durable -- regardless of what ape the glass is named after.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 07:25 PM
    As strong as Passport? I hope not. The last thing the Priv needs is a screen lifting issue.

Posted via C5303
    Taigatrommel and MO3iusONE like this.
    09-24-15 07:32 PM
    BlackBerry has been known for good quality hardware. I had the torch and that thing was bulletproof, hope the slider will be as durable
    Wow u had torch.. yup it's bulletproof..
    I feel like when you have slider..
    You will be like.. taking baby in your hands.. don't let it drop.. feed him.. keep him happy..

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 07:46 PM
    Most probably be gorilla glass 3 but hopefully be 4 but doubt it

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Let's pray for this.. it will be gr8 to get Glass 4 there..

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 07:47 PM
    I dunno -- my first interaction with someone who had the Samsung Galaxy Edge was a CEO who after I said "Oh, is that the Edge?" held it up and said "This is a piece of garbage, that's what it is."

Apparently that was a replacement unit. He had dropped his first unit on the carpet during the first week owning it and it cracked edge-to-edge!

I think curved screens might be less durable -- regardless of what ape the glass is named after.

Posted via CB10
    That's why I think next phone should be like bbz3.. and with Android..

When this phone comes.. just show your ceo the features integrated in this phone.. bbhub is there in that android phone.. it's going to awesome..

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 07:50 PM
    As strong as Passport? I hope not. The last thing the Priv needs is a screen lifting issue.

Posted via C5303
    It's been so many years I have not watched Johnny bravo cartoon.. let me go to YouTube first.. ..

U think priv is cool name?

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 07:52 PM
    You can't really compare modern phones to ancient designs like the Torch. The Torch had a tiny screen and huge bezels around it, so of course it was more durable. The larger you make the screen, the more screen area there is (and thus more vulnerability), and also the more leverage you have to break it, whether from a drop, a bend or what have you. And the smaller you make the bezels, the more likely something will hit the edge, where the screen is most vulnerable, and break it.

High-tech glass does help, yes, but there's no way that a curved-glass screen (like the Edge or the Venice) is going to be as "rugged" as a flat piece of glass, and there's no way a phone with a 5" screen and small bezels is going to be as strong as a 3.5" (or whatever) screen with huge bezels.

You either live with the risk, or you put your phone in a case to minimize your exposure. It's that simple.
    09-24-15 09:02 PM
    Its said Gorilla Glass 3 here : RIM BlackBerry Priv STV100-1 (RIM Venice) Detailed Specs | Technical Datasheet | PDAdb.net

But there is lots of info i have not seen anywhere else, so i am assuming it's speculation or a modified copy paste from an other phone
    09-25-15 02:44 AM
    You can't really compare modern phones to ancient designs like the Torch. The Torch had a tiny screen and huge bezels around it, so of course it was more durable. The larger you make the screen, the more screen area there is (and thus more vulnerability), and also the more leverage you have to break it, whether from a drop, a bend or what have you. And the smaller you make the bezels, the more likely something will hit the edge, where the screen is most vulnerable, and break it.

High-tech glass does help, yes, but there's no way that a curved-glass screen (like the Edge or the Venice) is going to be as "rugged" as a flat piece of glass, and there's no way a phone with a 5" screen and small bezels is going to be as strong as a 3.5" (or whatever) screen with huge bezels.

You either live with the risk, or you put your phone in a case to minimize your exposure. It's that simple.
    Curved glass is technically less prone to shatter though in this case it would probably make no difference whatsoever. The bezel size makes no difference, the only way these screens crack is if something like a rock hits it on a side. You can bang it on the middle all you want, nothing will happen beyond scratches.

There's really no reason for this phone to be 'fragile'. Not more than anything else anyway
    09-25-15 08:08 AM
    With the new video of John chen of showing priv..
    It looks strong..

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 11:10 AM

You just said people should get cases and covers if they have priv..
    I think.. I will not be needing any case or cover if it is gorilla glass..
    In case it is not not then it will be a rush to buy case after purchasing the phone..

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 05:54 AM
    I think.. I will not be needing any case or cover if it is gorilla glass..
    Lots of phones use Gorilla Glass and their screens break all the time. I know, because I have a side job repairing them. But it's your phone so do whatever you are comfortable with.
    09-27-15 11:37 AM
    I think Samsung's Edge phones show that those curved screens aren't that weak.

Posted via CB10
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    09-27-15 12:05 PM
    With very slim screen as sliding.. my friends r calling it very sensitive and easily breakable phone..
    So my question is is it gorilla glass there?
    What do u think about its strength?

Posted via CB10
    The issue will be the slider mechanism. I'm hoping that BlackBerry will do better in making handsets more life resistant. The passport is reasonably sturdy, yet it can easily be undone by getting dropped in a puddle or with a spill on the keyboard. A phone for the workaday world should take more abuse without failing. Both the Priv and the passport could be a great devices for field techs with the overall capabilities, but the relative fragility makes that a dicey choice. If BlackBerry is getting into professional vertical space, taking more abuse will be the price of admission.

Posted on my Passport to the future
    09-27-15 02:08 PM
    4 ft to concrete. Landed face down. I've had my a BlackBerry take a tumble over the years. Luck just ran out

Is it gorilla glass?  Do you think this phone will be as strong as passport?-img_20150927_111339.jpg

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 02:16 PM
    Gorilla Glass is strong, but it's still glass, so treat it like that.
    GreenCopperz likes this.
    09-27-15 02:58 PM
    Gorilla Glass is strong, but it's still glass, so treat it like that.
    I want to be less precocious about this one ..
    And if it is gorilla it atracts more attention ..

Its like it should be slim and strong .. like a knife ..
    09-27-15 09:34 PM
    With the new video of John chen of showing priv..
    It looks strong..

Posted via CB10
    Did it look STRONG to you compared with JC who looked so WEAK?
    10-04-15 03:39 PM
    My sole slider experience was the HP Pre3 & Veer both of which slid with aplomb & outlasted the OS. One can hope the Priv is made in the same maquiladora as we're those gorgeous HP gems.

The issue will be the slider mechanism. I'm hoping that BlackBerry will do better in making handsets more life resistant. The passport is reasonably sturdy, yet it can easily be undone by getting dropped in a puddle or with a spill on the keyboard. A phone for the workaday world should take more abuse without failing. Both the Priv and the passport could be a great devices for field techs with the overall capabilities, but the relative fragility makes that a dicey choice. If BlackBerry is getting into professional vertical space, taking more abuse will be the price of admission.

Posted on my Passport to the future
    10-04-15 03:43 PM
    I'm hoping that there will be tempered glass screen protectors available like the ones for the SGS6 edge.

Posted by twiddling my thumbs on the mighty Qued! - Channel C003DAB77
    10-04-15 04:10 PM
    Glass breaks. I had an Amzur case before my Passport arrived so as to avoid the inevitable. Shortly after came my StilGut in which it has enjoyed a blemish free year of life.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-15 04:27 PM
54 123