What I think google and BlackBerry are upto is that google will ship normal android phones with linux kernels and BlackBerry will make android devices with qnx kernel to tighten the security. The fact the Google wants to increase the presence of android in enterprise world it may have a strategic tie up with BlackBerry allowing them to operate android on qnx kernel.The only thing is that by calling the security aspect of this device Google can bag up a great bang per device of which few percent will go to BlackBerry as qnx is not free for use.Hence it serves both Google's and BlackBerry and looks like they teamed upto take the giant down(apple)

Posted via CB10
    09-16-15 03:58 PM
    Google does not want a bi-furcated Android development platform so no, never ever will happen.
    09-16-15 04:01 PM
    I wish your thoughts to be true OP but many smartasses will say nay. Look out below!

Let the "HUH why in the world would google need blackberry? Google's toilet cleaning budget is higher than BlackBerry entirely!" begin!

Posted via CB10
    will308 likes this.
    09-16-15 04:02 PM
    What I think google and BlackBerry are upto is that google will ship normal android phones with linux kernels and BlackBerry will make android devices with qnx kernel to tighten the security. The fact the Google wants to increase the presence of android in enterprise world it may have a strategic tie up with BlackBerry allowing them to operate android on qnx kernel.The only thing is that by calling the security aspect of this device Google can bag up a great bang per device of which few percent will go to BlackBerry as qnx is not free for use.Hence it serves both Google's and BlackBerry and looks like they teamed upto take the giant down(apple)

Posted via CB10
    This would be the best setup I can imagine. But, I fear Google has too much bargaining power to allow it.

I agree fully that is partnership exists for Android for Work to be "BlackBerry certified" (i.e. what BlackBerry brings to the table is their reputation for security) and what Google wants is to compete with iOS in the enterprise, but it is more likely that any security improvements (possibly except ones backed by hardware) will have to go into mainstream android somehow. Google probably wants all android devices to be fit for the enterprise world, not just ones built by BlackBerry.

Unless Google becomes a part owner of BlackBerry (or a least has the option), I guess that could impact negotiations.
    dusanvn likes this.
    09-16-15 04:11 PM
    I wish your thoughts to be true OP but many smartasses will say nay. Look out below!

Let the "HUH why in the world would google need blackberry? Google's toilet cleaning budget is higher than BlackBerry entirely!" begin!

Posted via CB10
    Haha, I guess I am guilty of that

I wish it wasn't so, really. I hope the OP is spot on.
    09-16-15 04:13 PM
    Well it's just a thought which came to my mind and thought of sharing it.

Posted via CB10
    ayngling and Plazmic Flame like this.
    09-16-15 04:14 PM
    This would be the best setup I can imagine. But, I fear Google has too much bargaining power to allow it.

I agree fully that is partnership exists for Android for Work to be "BlackBerry certified" (i.e. what BlackBerry brings to the table is their reputation for security) and what Google wants is to compete with iOS in the enterprise, but it is more likely that any security improvements (possibly except ones backed by hardware) will have to go into mainstream android somehow. Google probably wants all android devices to be fit for the enterprise world, not just ones built by BlackBerry.

Unless Google becomes a part owner of BlackBerry (or a least has the option), I guess that could impact negotiations.
    If a workable QNX kernel to Android existed, BB would have to open-source it to Google so they could replace Linux kernel for everyone and for all products: mobile, IoT. One development platform, one source for bug and fixes. QNX is BB's Precious so it will never happen.
    09-16-15 04:18 PM
    And Android's security problem isn't in Linux kernel but in the layer above...

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer likes this.
    09-16-15 05:10 PM
    The whole kernel business might still happen - Google wants secure android, Google, although they do have the resources to do it themselves, no one will trust Google so it is in their interest to have a 3rd party like BlackBerry to secure android.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-15 09:57 PM
    So, we're to believe that BlackBerry has Android security magic that Google doesn't have and can't muster with their own ridiculously vast internal resources. It's very important but Google won't buy BlackBerry at pretty much book value even though it could probably use every asset in the BlackBerry portfolio, even QNX for their self-driving cars not to mention the mobile patents and BES business.
    ayngling likes this.
    09-16-15 10:19 PM
    I just want to say that just because a company is bigger and richer than another doesn't mean they can't be at a competitive disadvantage to the other. Google could afford to build a microkernel as secure as QnX, sure, but a) they're not in the microkernel business and b) they have 30 years to catch up to QnX!

Bet McDonald's has enough money to study, engineer, and market the world's best espresso, but McCaf isn't putting Starbucks out of business any time soon.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-15 11:25 PM
    N.B. I'm definitely not saying that the overroasters at Starsucks are espresso gurus. Just sayin' they've got years of experience and an "ecosystem" that works and sells.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-15 11:27 PM
    Also, there's the issue of Intellectual Property. Blackberry has a very robust patent portfolio, which might make it very difficult to replicate their security model.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-15 11:30 PM
    I just want to say that just because a company is bigger and richer than another doesn't mean they can't be at a competitive disadvantage to the other. Google could afford to build a microkernel as secure as QnX, sure, but a) they're not in the microkernel business and b) they have 30 years to catch up to QnX!

Bet McDonald's has enough money to study, engineer, and market the world's best espresso, but McCaf isn't putting Starbucks out of business any time soon.

Posted via CB10
    I believe the relative size difference between McDonald's and Starbucks is smaller than between Google and BlackBerry (I might be wrong), but absolutely, Google does not have BlackBerry's security DNA and experience.

I think why some people, myself included, feel Google would have more bargaining power is that if BlackBerry had something they wanted that bad, they could just buy the company and release the improved kernel to all android makers. That would be more effective for them if they want to beat iOS in the enterprise.

I do hope I am wrong, though.
    09-16-15 11:34 PM
    If a workable QNX kernel to Android existed, BB would have to open-source it to Google so they could replace Linux kernel for everyone and for all products: mobile, IoT. One development platform, one source for bug and fixes. QNX is BB's Precious so it will never happen.
    There's no need to open source QNX. Whoever wants "Android security" could license it for a small fee from BlackBerry, kinda like FRAND patents.
    09-16-15 11:52 PM
    You guys give BlackBerry too much credit. BlackBerry doesn't have the software expertise or capability to replace the linux kernel with QNX. Before you get started, note that this isn't the same as having partially working android runtime on QNX - we're talking fully supported and tested Android.

Now, if google was to do it? Maybe. But I don't see why Google would.

Posted via CB10
    dusanvn likes this.
    09-16-15 11:56 PM
    You guys give BlackBerry too much credit. BlackBerry doesn't have the software expertise or capability to replace the linux kernel with QNX. Before you get started, note that this isn't the same as having partially working android runtime on QNX - we're talking fully supported and tested Android.

Now, if google was to do it? Maybe. But I don't see why Google would.
    How exactly are you qualified to come to this conclusion?
    09-17-15 01:28 AM
    There's no need to open source QNX. Whoever wants "Android security" could license it for a small fee from BlackBerry, kinda like FRAND patents.
    yeah I'd like to see you pitch that to Google. 'You know how your OEMs are paying left and right to Microsoft and others for a loads of patents well here another one to add to the bill.'
    ayngling likes this.
    09-17-15 01:50 AM
    After all this speculation, it probably just a simple android with a suite of BlackBerry apps - which you can buy for other android phones ...

Posted via CB10
    09-17-15 02:42 AM
    Google does not want a bi-furcated Android development platform so no, never ever will happen.
    Google development platform is Android and the Android API. It's not Linux. If you got an Android app with Linux-specific features that are outside the Android API, in most cases it would be an app requesting root access, and for Google that is a no no. So, as long as it passes Android Compatibility Tests, BlackBerry can switch the kernel and even the userland.

Wide vision, from Chile.
    09-17-15 09:06 AM
    Google development platform is Android and the Android API. It's not Linux. If you got an Android app with Linux-specific features that are outside the Android API, in most cases it would be an app requesting root access, and for Google that is a no no. So, as long as it passes Android Compatibility Tests, BlackBerry can switch the kernel and even the userland.

Wide vision, from Chile.
    But thats the rub, Google will never change its business practices for BB its the other way around as we see with Venice. LOL at changing CTS for BB.
    09-17-15 10:01 AM
    yeah I'd like to see you pitch that to Google. 'You know how your OEMs are paying left and right to Microsoft and others for a loads of patents well here another one to add to the bill.'
    Running with the QNX kernel wouldn't have to be required. If you think your device will benefit with more sales if you included QNX, then you can pay the fee; otherwise, proceed as before with the Linux kernel.
    09-17-15 12:46 PM