Can someone enlighten me please???

Apparently getting Google Play Services is a big deal on BB10. Google just won't allow it....

But... how does iOS manage to run Google-developed apps just fine? Does iOS not have access to Google Play Services? How do they get around it?
    11-14-15 05:32 PM
    They pay.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-14-15 05:40 PM
    ios doesnt have google play services but the apps are made to work without them for iOS. The same could be done with bb10 if google wanted to make them for BB. It would take the money and some sweet talking though
    11-14-15 05:40 PM
    Google writes those apps for ios just like any other ios developer.
    Google play services is only on Android devices.

11-14-15 05:41 PM
    ios doesnt have google play services but the apps are made to work without them for iOS. The same could be done with bb10 if google wanted to make them for BB. It would take the money and some sweet talking though
    Yeah...if Blackberry had only managed to find a way (cut of revenues, etc.) to get Google Play on BB10 devices, it would have been the perfect path.
    Matt J likes this.
    11-14-15 05:42 PM
    Yeah...if Blackberry had only managed to find a way (cut of revenues, etc.) to get Google Play on BB10 devices, it would have been the perfect path.
    This seems like such a better solution than going Android for their OS.
    11-14-15 05:44 PM
    Because those Google apps are made to run under Apple's IOS. Apps downloaded from the Google Play Store only run under the Android OS. BlackBerry 10 devices can run many GPS apps because they contain an Android Runtime.
    11-14-15 05:45 PM
    Apps downloaded from the Google Play Store only run under the Android OS.
    Ummmm... no. I run lots of Google Play Store apps on my Passport. Netflix, IMDB, Skype, etc... I just can't run the ones that require Google Play Services.

It's not an Android app problem, it's a Google Play Services problem.
    11-14-15 05:47 PM
    This seems like such a better solution than going Android for their OS.
    The issue for BlackBerry was that their BB10 app eco system is too small. Switching their OS to Apple's IOS was not an option, so they went with Google's Android.
    11-14-15 05:54 PM
    The issue for BlackBerry was that their BB10 app eco system is too small. Switching their OS to Apple's IOS was not an option, so they went with Google's Android.
    I get that. But what I don't understand is why Google won't allow Google Play Services to work on BB10's Android runtime? Isn't Android a "free" OS? How would Google lose money by allowing BB10 devices to access Google Play Services? I don't see the downside for Google.

Certainly BlackBerry and Google could have come to some kind of gentleman's agreement in this regard?
    11-14-15 05:57 PM
    I get that. But what I don't understand is why Google won't allow Google Play Services to work on BB10's Android runtime? Isn't Android a "free" OS? How would Google lose money by allowing BB10 devices to access Google Play Services? I don't see the downside for Google.

Certainly BlackBerry and Google could have come to some kind of gentleman's agreement in this regard?
    Easy, certification of compatibility. And to get that cert, it has to be only android. (also why you see "powered by Android")

kbz1960 and LazyEvul like this.
    11-14-15 06:04 PM
    Ummmm... no. I run lots of Google Play Store apps on my Passport. Netflix, IMDB, Skype, etc... I just can't run the ones that require Google Play Services.

It's not an Android app problem, it's a Google Play Services problem.
    Yes you run them on your pp, but not in bb10, you run them in a runtime version of Android, hence it is an Android app & problem

Posted via CB10
    11-14-15 06:12 PM

Google only has apps for iOS because they have a huge user base and Google needs to keep those users using Google apps for their ad-based revenue model. Google, strategically, doesn't want there to be a third OS taking users away from Android so they won't make apps for BB10, Windows Phone, etc.

It's not like Blackberry could just pay them, even if BB had the money to do it Google wouldn't be game. If it was just a money issue you would see Google apps on Windows Phone, because you know Microsoft could swing it.
    11-14-15 06:20 PM

You might also want to consider why the BB10 Android Runtime is stuck at Android version 4.2 (Ice Cream Sandwhich, 2011) when the newest Andoid devices are running Android version 6.0 (Marsmallow).
    Last edited by BB-JAM215; 11-14-15 at 07:32 PM.
    11-14-15 06:34 PM
    It's not clear that BlackBerry ever tried to go down that route. Chen hired an Android phone guy from HTC and then abandoned or neglected BB10. But, you are correct, Google has opened up some of its Play services to iOS.

Also, Google develops apps specifically for iOS. They are not Android 'ports' in the sense of running on a VM or runtime.

I would have been happy if Chen said we have the following goals for ecosystem on BB10:

1. We want support from the top 10 big guys. Google, Amazon, Microsoft, etc. We will develop with our own internal teams, so all we're looking for is access to closed APIs and other business type agreements with them. In that scenario, we get native apps for things like Hangouts and play services support for the emulator, if we want to keep it.

2. We need to attract, nurture, and develop about 25 to 30 independent app shops who are competing to make something distinctive that our users love -- killer apps for our platform. If we incentivize them it should be for new apps each quarter or biannually. Basically, we're talking about apps like BlackBerry Express from developers like Nemory or Jerome Carty or Sven Ziegler, but help these guys build a business out of their development efforts with division of labor and employees and such. The BB10 ecosystem effort was pretty strong, but all the focus was on quantity goals and that helped make it hard to find and support the quality. But, we didn't get all the way there -- just not enough time before Chen came and destroyed everything. We didn't reach critical mass, but you can do that with a lot fewer developers than people think.

Notice there are *no* quantity goals. I want BB10 to have unique, awesome productivity and other apps, but I don't want Android ports or lots of crapware.

The problem, I think, with my goals is getting the little apps that are created by institutions uninterested in monetizing through app creation. They simply look at users or marketshare. I'm thinking of local bank apps and local newspaper apps and such. They don't see enough users on BB10 to make it worth it even if developers who charge do nicely in BlackBerry World. I'm guessing an emulator like the Android Runtime and a team of negotiators for BlackBerry -- real people making phone calls offering to port for free and handle everything -- is pretty much the only solution.

In around five years or so, you'd have the number of users up to a point where wearable manufacturers and such would be stupid not to support BlackBerry 10.

But, doing the things Chen did, you simply won't build a platform ecosystem. Never. He seems to have intentionally sabotaged BB10 to prepare the way for selling devices on someone else's platform. Easier to sell the device division that way? Certainly less expensive.

It could have been done, but Chen and/or the Board decided not to try.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 01:20 AM
    It's not clear that BlackBerry ever tried to go down that route. Chen hired an Android phone guy from HTC and then abandoned or neglected BB10. But, you are correct, Google has opened up some of its Play services to iOS.

Also, Google develops apps specifically for iOS. They are not Android 'ports' in the sense of running on a VM or runtime.

I would have been happy if Chen said we have the following goals for ecosystem on BB10:

1. We want support from the top 10 big guys. Google, Amazon, Microsoft, etc. We will develop with our own internal teams, so all we're looking for is access to closed APIs and other business type agreements with them. In that scenario, we get native apps for things like Hangouts and play services support for the emulator, if we want to keep it.

2. We need to attract, nurture, and develop about 25 to 30 independent app shops who are competing to make something distinctive that our users love -- killer apps for our platform. If we incentivize them it should be for new apps each quarter or biannually. Basically, we're talking about apps like BlackBerry Express from developers like Nemory or Jerome Carty or Sven Ziegler, but help these guys build a business out of their development efforts with division of labor and employees and such. The BB10 ecosystem effort was pretty strong, but all the focus was on quantity goals and that helped make it hard to find and support the quality. But, we didn't get all the way there -- just not enough time before Chen came and destroyed everything. We didn't reach critical mass, but you can do that with a lot fewer developers than people think.

Notice there are *no* quantity goals. I want BB10 to have unique, awesome productivity and other apps, but I don't want Android ports or lots of crapware.

The problem, I think, with my goals is getting the little apps that are created by institutions uninterested in monetizing through app creation. They simply look at users or marketshare. I'm thinking of local bank apps and local newspaper apps and such. They don't see enough users on BB10 to make it worth it even if developers who charge do nicely in BlackBerry World. I'm guessing an emulator like the Android Runtime and a team of negotiators for BlackBerry -- real people making phone calls offering to port for free and handle everything -- is pretty much the only solution.

In around five years or so, you'd have the number of users up to a point where wearable manufacturers and such would be stupid not to support BlackBerry 10.

But, doing the things Chen did, you simply won't build a platform ecosystem. Never. He seems to have intentionally sabotaged BB10 to prepare the way for selling devices on someone else's platform. Easier to sell the device division that way? Certainly less expensive.

It could have been done, but Chen and/or the Board decided not to try.

Posted via CB10
    Personally i don't think that it could have been done. They had been trying for long enough and people lost jobs over it. The trouble is that BlackBerry have to make money, they can't just keep doing things because a few people like things how it is.

I moved over to the priv because i was excited for the new device and so far i am liking my new phone. Sure android is different to BlackBerry 10 and it will take some getting used to. I have to admit that i currently think BlackBerry 10 is better but once used to android it will be fine and hopefully in a few months time blackberry will have fine tuned things.

The move over isn't some thing that has been taken lightly by BlackBerry I'm sure but most people want apps from the get go in an easy to buy fashion, people don't want to pay for apps they can get for free on other platforms.

11-15-15 02:34 PM
    Google Play Services was designed as a honey pot to hook and keep developers on the "official Google sanctioned version of Android" it handles things like push notifications and gives you app access to Google Maps should you need mapping data.

anyone who forks Android like Amazon would have to provide all the infrastructure and data services to developers in order to make their platform attractive enough to develop for.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 02:43 PM
    11-15-15 02:48 PM