My big question is this: will the bb10 os side of the slider have google play svcs? Im afraid if this thing is dual boot and the bb10 os side doesnt have play svcs everyone will eventually use the phone as an android device for the apps and bb10 will end up fading away.
    09-20-15 10:38 AM
    There is no BB10 side of this phone. It is an Android phone.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 10:40 AM
    There is no BB10 side of this phone. It is an Android phone.

Posted via CB10
    Yep. Google going to be all there.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    09-20-15 11:14 AM
    My big question is this: will the bb10 os side of the slider have google play svcs? Im afraid if this thing is dual boot and the bb10 os side doesnt have play svcs everyone will eventually use the phone as an android device for the apps and bb10 will end up fading away.
    1. There is no dual boot. This is prohibited by OHA guidelines.
    2. There is probably not BB10 variant to the Slider. As has been pointed out by numerous people, there's no information at all to support such a device existing as a production unit.
    3. If a dual boot device existed, it would not have GPS access. EOD.
    09-20-15 11:23 AM
    1. There is no dual boot. This is prohibited by OHA guidelines.
    2. There is probably not BB10 variant to the Slider. As has been pointed out by numerous people, there's no information at all to support such a device existing as a production unit.
    3. If a dual boot device existed, it would not have GPS access. EOD.
    What the reason for the GPS issue?

 Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.2639 CB10 
    09-20-15 11:26 AM
    The only BB10 GPS issue in the near future will be that 10.3.2 will probably be the last version of BB10 to include the BlackBerry Android Runtime.

Any new BB10 phones produced after the Slider is released will be very unlikely to contain the Android Runtime due to OHA rules. This may be what 10.3.3 is for.
    09-20-15 11:37 AM

 Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.2639 CB10 
    Why would Google permit a non-Android OS to access GPS when, in that scenario, the phone would already have an Android OS on it?
    09-20-15 11:47 AM
    Android is open source and can be used by anyone, but Google Play store is not. In order to get Play you need to sign a contract that will not allow the phone to be dual boot (other large companies have tried and Google threatened to kick them out of the Google Play club, the device was never released).

The contract will also disallow companies to sell phones with alternative versions of Android (other than Google's), and most people here, including me, are convinced that Google will interpret the android runtime on BB10 to be such a version, so it will have to be removed.
    09-20-15 11:55 AM
    This phone really needs to be released so this non stop dual OS ridiculousness can stop.
    utsav01, PygmySurfer and jmr1015 like this.
    09-20-15 01:39 PM
    This phone really needs to be released so this non stop dual OS ridiculousness can stop.
    It's coming this month, and there is no dual boot option, and if there is a BB10 option, carriers aren't signing up for it... so let that talk volume.
    09-20-15 04:54 PM
    If some update to my passport attempts to remove the android runtime, I will auger for a class action lawsuit over that as consumer fraud & theft by deception... I like the passport I have, but it would become nearly useless to me if the runtime were removed...

Bumpkin
    09-20-15 05:45 PM
    If some update to my passport attempts to remove the android runtime, I will auger for a class action lawsuit over that as consumer fraud & theft by deception... I like the passport I have, but it would become nearly useless to me if the runtime were removed...

Bumpkin
    Was there a lawsuit when Flash was removed on an update? I'm sure when and if an update comes that removes the runtime it will notify the user so its up to you if you want 10.3.3 w/o runtime or stay with 10.3.2
    ayngling likes this.
    09-20-15 06:01 PM
    Was there a lawsuit when Flash was removed on an update? I'm sure when and if an update comes that removes the runtime it will notify the user so its up to you if you want 10.3.3 w/o runtime or stay with 10.3.2
    The flash issue was quickly addressed by flashbrowser now zeus... the android lack will not be similarly resolved leaving passport owners with no secure updates & choice of that or loss of android... that will not fly
    Prem WatsApp and macwild like this.
    09-20-15 06:38 PM
    The flash issue was quickly addressed by flashbrowser now zeus... the android lack will not be similarly resolved leaving passport owners with no secure updates & choice of that or loss of android... that will not fly
    Don't update. Thanks!

:-)

  Leakers' gonna leak... :-)  
    09-20-15 07:01 PM
    Zeus isn't really known outside of CB, do you see it anywhere in BBWorld in any popular app list? Consumers are not the focus of BB and enterprise doesn't care about BB10 and Android apps. Again you WILL have two options. Upgrade and lose it or stay and keep it.
    09-20-15 08:35 PM
    I don't know where this rumor that the next BB10 update will remove the Andy runtime.

But what I have read from the CB employees here is that the runtime is based on the Jellybean ver. Of Android. And the runtime OS not being updated.

So what will slowly happen is... as apps receive updates, they will be updates based on the latest Andy OS ver. Soon an app's API will no longer be compatible with the Jellybean version of Android., & will stop working. Kinda like Windows apps today would never work on Windows 95.
    09-20-15 08:51 PM
    Can people stop saying that 10.3.3 will remove the runtime from bb10. The runtime is not an alternate version. It's modified just like other companies do and without gps. An alternate version would be Amazon's android which was forked.

There are pages promoting bb10 devices being able to run android apps. No way it could be removed. The only way it would be possible is if every bb10 device were given the option to switch to android which isn't happening.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by matt4pack; 09-20-15 at 09:17 PM.
    09-20-15 09:03 PM
    Can people stop saying that 10.3.3 will remove the runtime from bb10. The runtime is not an alternate version. It's modified just like other companies do and without gps. An alternate version would be Amazon's android which was forked.

There are pages promoting bb10 devices being able to run android apps. No way it could be removed. The only way it would be possible is if every bb10 device were given the option to switch to android which isn't happening.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Is Amazon trying to get Google apps? No so there is reason to bring them up here. Google had no leverage against the runtime because Android code is open source. Now that Venice will be approved to have Google apps, Google will use its leverage, the same leverage it used with its partners in OHA with Aliyun OS/Acer and Skyhook/Moto/Samsung and HTC/Microsoft.

Some good reading here about how far Google has and will go to keeping Android partners in line. How Google controls Android: digging deep into the Skyhook filings
    Google's attitude towards Android fragmentation is also fascinating: not only does the company tell partners that it has to control fragmentation in order to ensure Android's success, it's gone so far as to forbidding Samsung from producing or even contributing software to unapproved devices. We've been hearing that Google's taking a harder line towards fragmentation, and that clearly seems to the case.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    09-20-15 10:15 PM
    Once again there is no way the runtime is being removed from bb10. The passport is marketed as coming with the amazon store and being able to run android apps with a new version released like a month ago.

Do you realize how many lawsuits that would create and no it's absolutely nothing like removing flash. Just use a little common sense here folks. Obviously Google doesn't care or they worked it out.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 11:57 PM
    Once again there is no way the runtime is being removed from bb10. The passport is marketed as coming with the amazon store and being able to run android apps with a new version released like a month ago.

Do you realize how many lawsuits that would create and no it's absolutely nothing like removing flash. Just use a little common sense here folks. Obviously Google doesn't care or they worked it out.
    There's no reason to think that anyone with a current device can't continue to use the runtime. What we can expect is that new BB10 devices will not contain the runtime.
    09-21-15 01:50 AM
    Is Amazon trying to get Google apps? No so there is reason to bring them up here. Google had no leverage against the runtime because Android code is open source. Now that Venice will be approved to have Google apps, Google will use its leverage, the same leverage it used with its partners in OHA with Aliyun OS/Acer and Skyhook/Moto/Samsung and HTC/Microsoft.

Some good reading here about how far Google has and will go to keeping Android partners in line. How Google controls Android: digging deep into the Skyhook filings
    Google doesn't need to bother with the runtime and Amazon's fork because it has been proven time and time again that Android phones don't succeed in the western world without Google Play services. Amzon tried it, BB tried it with the runtime and Nokia tried it and all failed.

The lack of success of Android forks is also the reason the main OS is still open-source. Had 1 or 2 OEMs succeeded with a fork, Android wouldn't have been open-source today.
    09-21-15 06:30 AM