As a keen supporter of the BB10 operating system, and the security it brings to my phone, I am wary of the new Priv. I see that Chen needs a phone that appeals & hopefully sells, if he is to fulfil the role he signed up for - to turn Blackberry around again. What concerns me is how far he is prepared to go to do it. A phone that runs android has only one primary function, scavenging data, at every chance it gets. Like a vampire draining blood, android sucks data back to Google. We know that's how they make their money, data mining provides their source of income. Built in validation of boot-up ensures no tampering with the OS, is it ensuring the hidden back doors stay open? Dtek reports to the user on what it sees - or what it's allowed to see. If the Priv ran BB10, I, along with many other security-conscious people, would buy one tomorrow. So, for the moment, I'm sitting on the fence. Waiting to see where this goes. If you can view this report shown recently on the BBC website it may give you an insight into what I'm saying: Report finds apps regularly 'spy on users' - BBC News
    Mansoor2 and lift like this.
    11-07-15 05:17 PM
    This is nothing new and not limited to Android and ios. Blackberry is not immune to this type of thing either. They just gave you the ability to see and choose what permissions you want to allow. Even in bbos7 apps required you to allow this to function fully. Most web page you visit now plants a cookie on your system and sends info back to another domain. They are more open about it now, but they have done this prior to phones having apps. Quite a few of these now are to target ads. You can limit what is collected, but not really end it. YouTube is paid through ads, and they are now offering a subscription if you don't want to be bothered with ads. You may notice that the ads can be for items you are searching like cars or electronic items. I am getting ads for the Priv quite a lot now, since it has been a search item.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    lifesupport likes this.
    11-07-15 05:48 PM
    We must all accept change.
    11-07-15 05:50 PM
    The cost of working with Google and its free apps is information. Any other app will give away info as well- Bla1ze said FB send his location info like 400+ times without even opening the app that many times.

Do you think that the same apps on BB10 don't report info to their respective developers? FB will collect usage info, Twitter too, etc.

Your carrier does the same thing with calls/texts. I would say use a rotary phone and landline only but your provider will still collect and log your data... it's how this stuff works. It's up to you to decide what level of data collection you're ok with and go with that option.
    11-07-15 05:53 PM
    I will buy a premium version of favourite apps to remove ads. The rest of the mining was accepted when I decided to get online, if I was worried about it I would not have a phone and certainly no Internet.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    DarkJoker33 likes this.
    11-07-15 06:00 PM
    If you are on the fence you'll be there for eternity. This is what Android is. Is Blackberry completely full of it with the "Privacy" lingo, yes I think so. Out of the box this phone is mining your data and there isn't anything you can do about it. People amazed in here with Google Now and how it works so well, how do you think that is? Its because it is gathering all of your information and learning about you. Learn to live with it, if you want to live in the modern world because Google/Android was built off of gathering data about its users.
    lift and nokia4life like this.
    11-07-15 06:03 PM
    The cost of working with Google and its free apps is information. Any other app will give away info as well- Bla1ze said FB send his location info like 400+ times without even opening the app that many times.

Do you think that the same apps on BB10 don't report info to their respective developers? FB will collect usage info, Twitter too, etc.

Your carrier does the same thing with calls/texts. I would say use a rotary phone and landline only but your provider will still collect and log your data... it's how this stuff works. It's up to you to decide what level of data collection you're ok with and go with that option.
    Well said. Today's world information is money for a lot of these companies.

Passport/CB10 on Bell
    SteelGreek likes this.
    11-07-15 06:05 PM
    As a keen supporter of the BB10 operating system, and the security it brings to my phone, I am wary of the new Priv. I see that Chen needs a phone that appeals & hopefully sells, if he is to fulfil the role he signed up for - to turn Blackberry around again. What concerns me is how far he is prepared to go to do it. A phone that runs android has only one primary function, scavenging data, at every chance it gets. Like a vampire draining blood, android sucks data back to Google. We know that's how they make their money, data mining provides their source of income. Built in validation of boot-up ensures no tampering with the OS, is it ensuring the hidden back doors stay open? Dtek reports to the user on what it sees - or what it's allowed to see. If the Priv ran BB10, I, along with many other security-conscious people, would buy one tomorrow. So, for the moment, I'm sitting on the fence. Waiting to see where this goes. If you can view this report shown recently on the BBC website it may give you an insight into what I'm saying: Report finds apps regularly 'spy on users' - BBC News

0.3% market share it's time to move on BlackBerry has.

Posted via CB10
    nokia4life likes this.
    11-07-15 06:05 PM
    This place is hilarious.

Some of you really think your phone choice determines whether or not one is data mined.

Some of you think your BlackBerry was shielding you from tracking on the internet. BB10 did not protect you it still doesn't and it never will. Neither will the priv.

!
    11-07-15 06:13 PM
    @ghost194: You Tube is an extension of Google - so what do you expect?

@miketko: What, just roll over and wait to get shafted?

@SteelGreek: It's a given that BB apps send data back, but not like the third party ones you mention - FB, Twitter etc. Social media was invented by these companies for the specific purpose of getting to their cash-cows in a much more convenient & easy method.

@donnation: No argument from me. 'Out of the box this phone is mining your data'.

@Jaalouro: No argument from me.

@HabsSuck: That's what is driving Chen in the direction he's been going from the start.

@Kurdis Blough: There are people in positions of importance that choose to use Blackberry phones, that must be for a reason. I am under no illusion that I warrant the same attention or service as these illustrious pillars of society, but if my data is shielded just a little from parasitic data-miners, I personally will opt for the best I can afford.

As a general note to all responders, I respect your decision to choose whatever floats your boat. It is your data after all.
    lift and anon(9186565) like this.
    11-09-15 02:47 PM
    Stop using phones, don't use apps, stop using computers, never go on the internet. Move to the back woods and stay off the grid. Then, you will be harder to track.
    SteelGreek and nokia4life like this.
    11-09-15 02:52 PM
    11-09-15 03:03 PM
    Stop using phones, don't use apps, stop using computers, never go on the internet. Move to the back woods and stay off the grid. Then, you will be harder to track.
    That kind of blanket reply is getting old. Got anything else?
    11-09-15 03:06 PM
    That kind of blanket reply is getting old. Got anything else?
    Old, but true. Or would lies make you happy?
    nokia4life likes this.
    11-09-15 03:34 PM
    Stop using phones, don't use apps, stop using computers, never go on the internet.
    All these things are pretty much a necessity in a modern society. Does that automatically mean that the NSA or any other Govt. entity (or any corporation for that matter) has a right to spy and track everything we do? Just because they have the technology to do it does not mean it is their right. We have a right to at least some privacy. People like you that seem to think that when ever we use modern day electronics we should just assume we are being spied on and tracked and accept it are the reason "they" get away with it!
    11-09-15 10:45 PM
    All these things are pretty much a necessity in a modern society. Does that automatically mean that the NSA or any other Govt. entity (or any corporation for that matter) has a right to spy and track everything we do? Just because they have the technology to do it does not mean it is their right. We have a right to at least some privacy. People like you that seem to think that when ever we use modern day electronics we should just assume we are being spied on and tracked and accept it are the reason "they" get away with it!
    I don't see that she said it's okay. I don't even see where she implied it should be accepted. She simply stated a fact that most folks probably agree with.

"People like her" simply understand that if one really wants to be free, one has to be a hermit.
    11-09-15 10:54 PM
    "People like her" simply understand that if one really wants to be free, one has to be a hermit.
    And my point is that it should have never gotten to that point. It used to be that if any govt. or law enforcement agency suspected illegal activity, they got a COURT ORDER to spy and track you.
    Now just because technology has allowed them to just track and spy at will, they go ahead and do it. Every US resident has a right to privacy unless there is A REASON to spy on them. This BLANKET spying and tracking by all involved is just wrong and people need to wake up.
    11-09-15 11:03 PM
    And my point is that it should have never gotten to that point. It used to be that if any govt. or law enforcement agency suspected illegal activity, they got a COURT ORDER to spy and track you.
    Now just because technology has allowed them to just track and spy at will, they go ahead and do it. Every US resident has a right to privacy unless there is A REASON to spy on them. This BLANKET spying and tracking by all involved is just wrong and people need to wake up.
    And nothing she said really contradicts any of this. I suspect your views are mostly held by most folks on CB.

Tracking exists. It sucks. Regardless of what I think, as it stands, the best way to prevent this is to stay off the grid.
    11-09-15 11:07 PM
    Why is BlackBerry os more secure than ios or Android. Hasn't the FBI been complaining the new encryption on iphone and Androids prevents them from snooping on us?

I'm not BlackBerry os expert. How exactly is it so secure.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 11:08 PM
    My point is that everyone who is using modern technology is tracked. We give away our privacy when we log in, use our passwords, or PIN numbers. We can be traced. Cell phones monitor our physical location, unless we leave them at home.

This is the Big Brother world that we live in. Are we being harmed? Not sure. Any way back? Probably not.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-10-15 11:17 AM
    Why is BlackBerry os more secure than ios or Android. Hasn't the FBI been complaining the new encryption on iphone and Androids prevents them from snooping on us?

I'm not BlackBerry os expert. How exactly is it so secure.
    I have heard the case of an iphone user who would not reveal his password, but not with android. Nowhere in my original posting have I mentioned ios. There is a questionable attitude to the security of android apps, and it is my contention that it not only encourages but condones the unscrupulous data-mining we see today.

This is the Big Brother world that we live in. Are we being harmed? Not sure. Any way back? Probably not.
    And where did Big Brother finally end. You happy with that?
    lift likes this.
    11-10-15 03:00 PM
    I have heard the case of an iphone user who would not reveal his password, but not with android. Nowhere in my original posting have I mentioned ios. There is a questionable attitude to the security of android apps, and it is my contention that it not only encourages but condones the unscrupulous data-mining we see today.

And where did Big Brother finally end. You happy with that?
    Taking the ending to that book is extreme. Hope that we don't live to see that day.
    11-10-15 03:54 PM
    You are right and that means stop using internet and phones data is mined at all levels and BB protects enterprise. If i do not have enterprise and just use it as a cell and smartphone with apps regardless of platform data is being distributed. the only true way is to get off the grid and most are not because we have become dependent on these devices. also don't buy that car with gps you know you can be tracked with that Onstar, what do you think that is your vehicles is constantly sending pings to satellites of your location if needed the govt can pull it its technology and unless you own it you are compromised.
    11-10-15 04:11 PM
    Taking the ending to that book is extreme. Hope that we don't live to see that day
    My point is - if left to continue, unchallenged, not questioned, these companies will continue to expand their influence. Is it therefore too far-fetched to say this is a possibility?

As I said at the outset, these are my views, everyone judges how important their data is to them. I only suggest they consciously make that decision, and not be seduced by something akin to shiny, glass beads.
    lift likes this.
    11-10-15 04:13 PM
    My point is - if left to continue, unchallenged, not questioned, these companies will continue to expand their influence. Is it therefore too far-fetched to say this is a possibility?

As I said at the outset, these are my views, everyone judges how important their data is to them. I only suggest they consciously make that decision, and not be seduced by something akin to shiny, glass beads.
    Well, we are already on the internet, with cell phones, etc. being tracked in many ways. Companies know who we are and where we are.

The evil spam that they send is the worst they are currently doing to me.
    11-10-15 04:49 PM
27 12