Why is Android security so bad: Google-funded research explains | BGR

http://www.zdnet.com/article/android...cent-insecure/

Good News #1: BlackBerry is here to save the day for Google with their "expertise".
    Good News #2: the study found that Nexus devices are the most secure Android devices around because they run stock Android and don’t have to rely on manufacturers or wireless carriers to issue patches in a timely fashion. (Heh heh)

[BB10 diehards will have a field day with this one]
    10-13-15 04:36 PM
    10-13-15 04:40 PM
    Good News #2: the study found that Nexus devices are the most secure Android devices around because they run stock Android and don’t have to rely on manufacturers or wireless carriers to issue patches in a timely fashion. (Heh heh)
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man was the king.

Until he got Stagefright. Twice.
    10-13-15 04:40 PM
    Sure there may be vulnerabilities but what has ever happened because of them? Not much.

Most people sometimes sleep with their windows open even though it makes their home less secure.

What is the realistic risk that Android poses? I still have not heard a good answer to that question.

Posted via CB10
    Smply_Rckless and JeepBB like this.
    10-13-15 05:14 PM
    Sure there may be vulnerabilities but what has ever happened because of them? Not much.

Most people sometimes sleep with their windows open even though it makes their home less secure.

What is the realistic risk that Android poses? I still have not heard a good answer to that question.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. Agreed. Agreed.
    Therein lies the answer as to why people ignore BB's and keep buying Androids & IPhones.
    10-13-15 05:16 PM
    http://m.androidcentral.com/stagefright

For all the publicity about Stagefright, no one was ever harmed by it. This is because there is no actual exploit to tale advantage of it and because other security features of Android would prevent it.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 05:57 PM
    A very interesting piece of paper . . .

http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=28...reflayout=flat

Posted via CB10
    raino likes this.
    10-13-15 06:18 PM
    All this concern over Android security can only be good for BlackBerry as the Priv will be one of the most secure devices available.
    10-13-15 11:51 PM
    If the world was concerned about android security the device manufacturers would be licensing QNX Android. They not.
    10-14-15 01:43 AM
    You always need to strike a balance between security and convenience. Furthermore there is always a large variety of attack vectors which could get exploited.

Therein lies the issue of complex systems, as you need to prioritise the fixes as well as justify the cost/benefit of leaving a potential vulnerability or not.

It would not make real sense for a developer so fix an issue that only occurs when you have a specific set of apps open and are using several of them in a specific manner to allow a potential attacker to install malicious code within a limited time frame......

Most attacks and threats only cause harm when the biggest security risk - the user- has allowed it to happen.

There are always 0 day attacks and other possibilities to run exploits on systems without the OS knowing.... when I have time, I will post the link....

We should be worried about what we do NOT hear than about the stuff we hear....

Links:
    Hiding within NAND storage

SIM card vulnerabilities

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 02:12 AM
    I'm not going down that android road not even for BlackBerry's sake why should I get burn trying to saved the burning bush?

''Splendiferousness'' is not even a word that I use to describe my passport
    10-14-15 06:43 AM
    Security is for suckas.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 08:26 AM
    All this concern over Android security can only be good for BlackBerry as the Priv will be one of the most secure devices available.
    This will only be true if the Priv lives up to Blackberry's reputation. If it fails with security, even a little, it can sink Blackberry. It is a double edge sword.
    ssbtech likes this.
    10-14-15 03:56 PM
    This is androids fatal flaw and there is no easy way to fix it. If you want to stay up to date with security patches on android a unlocked Nexus is the ONLY choice.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 04:41 PM
    This is androids fatal flaw and there is no easy way to fix it. If you want to stay up to date with security patches on android a unlocked Nexus is the ONLY choice.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly! That's why I might get that Nexus & just purchase the BB Suite.
    10-14-15 05:52 PM
    Seems like the article has been removed

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2789
    10-14-15 06:30 PM

Posted via CB10
    Dude, did you just make a slandering reference to Windows in a non related thread? Lol. I see what you did there

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 07:08 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes, what is the realistic threat? Where is the pandemic identity theft? What is everyone really worried about?

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 07:41 PM
    Yes, what is the realistic threat? Where is the pandemic identity theft? What is everyone really worried about?
    If you don't know the answer to that question then there is no hope for you.
    10-14-15 07:53 PM
    If you don't know the answer to that question then there is no hope for you.
    Well what's your answer then? And I mean fact based answer? Where are the stories?

OTH, I have stories of waiters taking the numbers from customer's credit cards when they pay for meals.
    10-14-15 08:00 PM
    Lock yourself in a box and you are safe. Use a device that is connected to the Internet, there are risks. Drive a car there are risks. We manage risk everyday. I still don't know what the realistic risk is of using Android and no one has pointed to a real world example.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 08:36 PM
    Lock yourself in a box and you are safe. Use a device that is connected to the Internet, there are risks. Drive a car there are risks. We manage risk everyday. I still don't know what the realistic risk is of using Android and no one has pointed to a real world example.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. Your car. Your health insurance. Your job. All being used for analytics in some capacity. I would like to know how people have been so negatively effected by simply using Android.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 08:42 PM
    Malware Abuses Android Accessibility Feature to Steal Data | SecurityWeek.Com

There is none so blind as those will not see (pun not intended)
    10-14-15 08:48 PM
    Malware Abuses Android Accessibility Feature to Steal Data | SecurityWeek.Com

There is none so blind as those will not see (pun not intended)
    I do hear you about the malware issue. There have been some monumental breaches at credit card companies and banks too. I understand there is a risk. But where is the pandemic results of all this? There are so many Android users. If people were having massive identity theft issues, money issues, false identities, etc. there would be warnings all over the news. Yes, there is always a risk. Not having deadbolts or crowbar proof doors is a risk to your home. Using Windows is a risk. But there is no evidence of mass scale casualties to these actions.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 08:57 PM
    I do hear you about the malware issue. There have been some monumental breaches at credit card companies and banks too. I understand there is a risk. But where is the pandemic results of all this? There are so many Android users. If people were having massive identity theft issues, money issues, false identities, etc. there would be warnings all over the news. Yes, there is always a risk. Not having deadbolts or crowbar proof doors is a risk to your home. Using Windows is a risk. But there is no evidence of mass scale casualties to these actions.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. People love to post links to vulnerabilities. But the articles NEVER report any real individual victimized by the vulnerability. Seriously. If I read about wildfires in California (or just out west), I always read about individual persons or families featured and victimized by the tragedy. That is just one example. If I read an article about identity theft, it will always feature a face and a name. A real person. But I have yet to read that the identity theft was due to an Android (or iOS) vulnerability.

The more I read about phone vulnerability articles on the web (or even mainstream media), I've yet to see a face of a victim. Somebody prove me wrong.
    10-14-15 09:26 PM
27 12