I've got the Google docs sheets and PowerPoint loaded on my Priv by default. Just wondering if there's a need, or any benefit to download the Microsoft office items?

Thanks!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-08-16 12:12 AM
    I disabled sheets / docs etc and downloaded Microsoft Word / Excel / PP - simply because Google Sheets did not support password protected excel.
    Screenshot:
    Google docs/sheets/slides vs Microsoft Word/Excel/Powerpoint-screenshot_2015-12-22-18-31-562.png
    03-08-16 12:15 AM
    Thanks for your reply!
    Other than password though? Any functionality that Google docs lack compared to Microsoft?

Cos I'm thinking of just going with Google docs

03-08-16 12:17 AM
    Thanks for your reply!
    Other than password though? Any functionality that Google docs lack compared to Microsoft?

Cos I'm thinking of just going with Google docs

You could go with Google Docs and IF you feel (at a later time) that something IS lacking, then simply download the Microsoft stuff (or any other app) when required.

I am not a fan of downloading apps, and try my best to keep it to a minimum.
    03-08-16 12:36 AM
    I believe the MS Office apps only support the latest file formats. I sync many (older) spreadsheets, docs and PPs to my SD card. I can either not open them with the MS apps at all or I can open them but need to save them as a copy in the latest format. VERY annoying!

Posted via BlackBerry Priv
    03-08-16 12:45 AM
    Google's product is light years behind the actual MS apps, but the MS apps require an MS account to save the files. Up to you.

03-08-16 04:39 AM
    Hmm, cos the Google apps allow me to access Google docs, which I use sometimes to work on things with some work mates.

Does Microsoft allow me to access docs online and make changes?

03-08-16 05:54 AM
    Hmm, cos the Google apps allow me to access Google docs, which I use sometimes to work on things with some work mates.

Yes but it's Microsoft docs online which no one uses.

03-08-16 06:15 AM

You can access Google Drive (which is tied into Google Docs) from the Microsoft apps. At this time Google Docs does allow for editing of Microsoft's documents, but Microsoft's apps don't allow for editing Google Docs documents. So while you can access Google Docs from Microsoft apps, Docs files will be greyed out so you can't open/edit them.

So you'll have to make it a point to save your documents as Office/Docx files so both options can open/edit them. But this exposes another headache... the Google Docs mobile apps have the ability to save as Office/Docx, but creating Google Docs from a desktop web browser only saves as a Google Docs document. There's a clunky way around that though. If you're creating a document via Google Docs from the web/desktop, you can export it to Microsoft's format by selecting "Download as..." from the File menu. Then save that document in Google Drive. That solution though is only adequate if you are working alone and don't need the correspondence/corroboration features of Google Docs.

Myself personally, I simply have both Google Docs and Microsoft's apps installed on my mobile devices. It removes the headaches, as well allows me the flexibility to correspond with both options. Some of my clients use Google Docs, and some use Microsoft's solution. So I'm good to go either way.
    03-08-16 09:12 AM

You can access your files that are stored in OneDrive, which is in fact gaining significant market share.

Yes, they just announced storage limits recently, which pissed off a number of people, but the functionality is quite good - arguably superior to Google Drive.
    03-08-16 02:36 PM
    I haven't done a side by side on google vs office, but having been a Google for Business admin for several companies, the biggest complaint I got over the years on the desktop versions is that Google Sheets didn't some of the advanced formulas that Excel can handle. I use both office and google docs. I mainly use the docs if its something I need to share with family/friends and keep updated.
    03-08-16 02:45 PM
    Personally, I prefer the Microsoft apps for stuff created using ms office.

PRIVateering since 2015.
    03-08-16 04:49 PM
    Personally, I prefer the Microsoft apps for stuff created using ms office.

PRIVateering since 2015.
    Same here. We have exchange online and the standard for business is ms docs. If you have an exchange account or use it for work, it much easier to use ms docs. You just have to sign into your account to save to Google Drive.

Enjoying the Priv
    03-08-16 05:51 PM
    I prefer MS Word and PowerPoint. Disabled the Google versions. The Microsoft apps are cleaner, look nicer, have more features and less laggy when working with big documents.

03-09-16 03:42 AM
    I use both Google Docs and Microsoft Office. Office is ahead in functionality, but the additional functionality is generally used by very few people, meaning that Docs will cover the needs of almost everybody. If Docs will do what you need, it would probably be simpler to go with that. You would need to do research on your requirement, and their capabilities.
    03-09-16 08:26 AM
    Nobody mentioned privacy and security concerns. My impression was, Google maintains the right to look into your documents and use the information in there if they need to... not sure this is changed or not but this is basically the reason I never used Google docs, or notes. Microsoft doesnt seem to have that problem.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    FF22 likes this.
    03-09-16 09:02 AM

I use it quite often. In fact I'm finishing up a book, 90% of which was written with Word online.
    03-09-16 09:15 AM
    Prefer Microsoft, since I use OneDrive on my desktops and tablets so that ecosystem works for me.
    03-09-16 09:42 AM
    Nobody mentioned privacy and security concerns. My impression was, Google maintains the right to look into your documents and use the information in there if they need to... not sure this is changed or not but this is basically the reason I never used Google docs, or notes. Microsoft doesnt seem to have that problem.
    Google only looks into documents that you have shared. Private documents stay private and aren't scanned. And in both cases the ToS specifically states that all of your documents remain your own intellectual property. Shared documents are scanned for security/privacy reasons (ie.. Phishing attempts), or for needed modifications (ie.. when the document is shared to someone who's native language is different from the document owner, the Translate function needs to be able to scan and modify the document).
    03-09-16 11:00 AM
    Google only looks into documents that you have shared. Private documents stay private and aren't scanned. And in both cases the ToS specifically states that all of your documents remain your own intellectual property. Shared documents are scanned for security/privacy reasons (ie.. Phishing attempts), or for needed modifications (ie.. when the document is shared to someone who's native language is different from the document owner, the Translate function needs to be able to scan and modify the document).
    09-06-16 06:25 AM
    I have accidentally press use Google doc to open my email attachment. I find it is not nice to used, how can I reset to the default?
    09-06-16 06:27 AM
    I have accidentally press use Google doc to open my email attachment. I find it is not nice to used, how can I reset to the default?
    Go to settings, then apps. The list of of all your apps will show up. Click the gear icon in the top right corner and then go to "default apps" . There you should be able to change it.

FF22 likes this.
    09-06-16 07:56 AM
    Start by going into your Settings -> Apps. From there it may be a bit different depending on which version of Android you're running.

In Marshmallow you're looking for the Default Apps option (from the Apps screen, it's usually located by tapping the gear/cog icon at the top right corner). From there you can see all the apps that are set as default (look for the Google Docs default), and can clear the default.

If you're on any version other than Marshmallow, from the Apps screen, locate the app in question (in this case Google Docs), then locate and tap the Clear Defaults button.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-06-16 08:08 AM
    Google's product is light years behind the actual MS apps, but the MS apps require an MS account to save the files. Up to you.

This.
    09-06-16 11:12 PM
    Microsoft, if you using Google docs it's because you lazy to download the free Microsoft suite . It's honestly a no brainer. Light years ahead of Google docs

Posted from my BlackBerry Priv powered by Blackdroid
    09-09-16 03:10 AM