Google considers Hub an "unsecure app" which "doesn't uses modern security standards" + Some bugs.

I'm using the latest Hub version (1.3.1.11551).

I got this message in my inbox.
    In order to get the E-mails unblocked (messages couldn't be send not received; I noticed this clock icon on the left of the messages within the Hub where you would normally see the send waves and the subsequent confirmation checkmark). I had to explicitly grant access to this "less secure app" (Hub) that according to Google doesn't use modern/secure sign-in technology. According to them, Im "at risk" now since the Gmail accounts that I added to the Hub) are "vulnerable" now.
    They consider the Hub on the same level of security as the obsolete iOS 6 and below?! Somehow DTEK didn't alert me. Anyways, I wonder what this is all about....

Google considers Hub an "unsecure app" which "doesn't uses modern security standards" + Some bugs.-1.jpgAttachment 410290Google considers Hub an "unsecure app" which "doesn't uses modern security standards" + Some bugs.-2.jpgGoogle considers Hub an "unsecure app" which "doesn't uses modern security standards" + Some bugs.-3.jpgGoogle considers Hub an "unsecure app" which "doesn't uses modern security standards" + Some bugs.-4.jpg

Some other thing I noticed lately (and yes F2, I already tried resetting, so no need to list the instructions on how to do the various (hard) resets):
    Hub is acting kinda "funny" lately as it is. I often do tests to make sure the Hub is still totally in shape. (Yes, sometimes I have too much time on my hands.).

I have the send box of my inboxes also synced, and as of lately:
    1) After sending a message to myself and seeing the send message wave and confirmation checkmark "V", then after 4/5 seconds that send message refreshes/reloads for fraction of a second???
    2)When I'm sending an E-mail to myself and delete the incoming message from my hub/server without opening that message, then the send message also disappears automatically but only when I added a subject + text. Doesn't happen when you delete a message that has no subject. Then the send message stays in the Hub and doesn't automatically and magically disappear. Anyway, ultimately the message seem to get transported to the trash can but the send message is magically totally gone. Not in the trash can. Not in the send box. I didn't even approve this deletion of the send message from hub+server?! I only deleted the regular message: so only that one should be deleted from Hub (+server). Obviously the magically disappeared send message is also not in the send box when accessing my send box via my computer.
    All of this only seem to happen with Gmail accounts.
    Last edited by WT44; 10-20-16 at 01:12 PM.
    10-19-16 06:00 PM
    Not sure if it's something specific to how your Hub is configured, but I've never seen that alert before, on my own device or posted by other users here.

If it's simply Google now turning on BlackBerry's apps, I find that funny since they brought BlackBerry in to help secure the OS.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android from my Verizon BlackBerry Priv
    10-19-16 06:03 PM
    Anyone have details on what protocol Google is expecting to see here?
    10-19-16 07:29 PM
    Yahoo gives the same warning. Life is becoming too complicated !
    10-19-16 07:38 PM
    OK, I asked a friend and he said that "less secure app" basically means an app that doesn't authenticate you via OAuth2. All other auth mechanisms have been deprecated by Google's account auth team.

Does the Hub not support OAuth2?

The reason it is considered less secure is because you are providing your Google password to a 3rd party. That 3rd party is then potentially storing that password to make subsequent calls to Gmail on your behalf. In this case, the 3rd party is BlackBerry, so maybe you don't care.
    10-19-16 07:59 PM
    Mayhaps our friendly neighborhood resident BlackBerry Hub representative (c_bryant34) may wish to chime in?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android from my Verizon BlackBerry Priv
    FF22 likes this.
    10-19-16 10:50 PM
    I have had the same issue with Yahoo mail. I have 2 yahoo email addresses I access via the hub and had to set them to the so-called less secure setting. This all started after Yahoo had its security breech. I changed my passwords and then couldn't get email in the hub until I changed settings using my PC. I had to click on a tab that said I understood the vulnerabilities. I really wonder if it has something to do with yahoo tightening up things after the security breech and having unintended consequences. I have had my Priv almost since launch and had no trouble at all with the yahoo email accounts till the incident described. It seems that yahoo wants me to use the yahoo app for mail instead. I have not had the same issue with my Gmail account so far.

Posted with my PRIV via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-20-16 12:38 AM
    Ironic, I consider Google an "unsecure app"

"If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong"
    FF22 and Wezard like this.
    10-20-16 12:51 AM
    OK, I asked a friend and he said that "less secure app" basically means an app that doesn't authenticate you via OAuth2. All other auth mechanisms have been deprecated by Google's account auth team.

Does the Hub not support OAuth2?

The reason it is considered less secure is because you are providing your Google password to a 3rd party. That 3rd party is then potentially storing that password to make subsequent calls to Gmail on your behalf. In this case, the 3rd party is BlackBerry, so maybe you don't care.
    Makes sense. Not good if Hub doesn't sort OAuth2.
    10-20-16 12:55 AM
    No need to enable less secure option. You can create a special password that is for use in hubm
    That what I did. Also for outlook.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    10-20-16 02:22 AM
    No need to enable less secure option. You can create a special password that is for use in hubm
    That what I did. Also for outlook.
    How is this done? I haven't seen where this option is available.
    10-20-16 09:45 AM
    Yahoo gives the same warning. Life is becoming too complicated !
    +1
    10-20-16 04:28 PM
    Yahoo is a different situation, which I won't get into for now. Suffice to say they want to push people to their app.

I've never seen that before, and Hub does support OAuth for Gmail. Is this a free Gmail account or paid G-Suite account?
    zephyr613 likes this.
    10-20-16 06:45 PM
    If Hub is actually providing my credentials to a third party, instead of directly calling Google (or any other mail service), that's pretty terrible.
    10-20-16 06:59 PM
    If Hub is actually providing my credentials to a third party, instead of directly calling Google (or any other mail service), that's pretty terrible.
    I am only speculating that the HUB IS THE THIRD party. That is the Hub is a "foreign" app which has your credentials and uses them to get/send email. But there may be some magic in the middle. I don't know what this OAuth is!
    bluesqueen23 likes this.
    10-20-16 07:40 PM
    No, the Hub is the 3rd party app. Google doesn't want you giving your password to the Hub. With OAuth, you don't have to.

But it sounds like the Hub does support OAuth. So I wonder if the OP and others are just configuring their gmail account in the Hub incorrectly.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 10-20-16 at 08:24 PM.
    10-20-16 07:44 PM
    Probably.

I have two Gmail accounts on my Priv, and I do not get that warning.
    10-20-16 08:42 PM
    I just deleted the hub before i even saw this post. Too buggy and delayed email were driving me crazy plus not being able to sync contacts. If anyone is looking for a good email app try the Asus Email app. You may have to get the apk from apkmirror but it works and you can put the widget on a blank page and have scrolling access to all your email.
    10-21-16 07:08 AM
    I just deleted the hub before i even saw this post. Too buggy and delayed email were driving me crazy plus not being able to sync contacts. If anyone is looking for a good email app try the Asus Email app. You may have to get the apk from apkmirror but it works and you can put the widget on a blank page and have scrolling access to all your email.
    I doubt anyone worried about security.... is downloading apps from apkmirror.

You might not want to use the app due to the subscription cost. But I've seen no signs of being buggy, delaying emails or issues with syncing of contacts. BlackBerry does have a pretty good product with HUB+, but yes there are several other options out there.... use what works best for you.
    10-21-16 07:19 AM
    I have no issues with contacts, calendars or email sync -- all three are flawless on my Priv.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-21-16 07:33 AM
    Both Gmail and Yahoo! is like browsing with IE 6.0 Things they do under the hood just doesn't make any sense.
    10-21-16 08:56 AM
    Haha great. Thanks chen for the google.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-16 09:05 AM
    Both Gmail and Yahoo! is like browsing with IE 6.0 Things they do under the hood just doesn't make any sense.
    Well, OAuth makes a lot of sense. Would you agree?
    10-21-16 09:27 AM
    I have no issues with contacts, calendars or email sync -- all three are flawless on my Priv.
    ^ This. No problems at all and I have had my device for quite a while, and the HUB just keeps getting better and better. I am always hoping (wishing, praying) that every time we see a major dump of Blackberry updates in the Play store, that something is coming for us lowly VZW users, but alas, not yet.

Either way, keep up the Excellent work Cody!!!
    10-21-16 09:31 AM
    Yahoo is a different situation, which I won't get into for now. Suffice to say they want to push people to their app.

I've never seen that before, and Hub does support OAuth for Gmail. Is this a free Gmail account or paid G-Suite account?
    Yahoo is what has given me the issues because I have two Yahoo addresses on the hub that are important to me. It seems they changed some settings after the security breach was announced by them. Now that you mention it, it does seem they want to push their mail App on me. I use their app for a not so important address but don't want to use it for the two that I use on the hub. My email has been functioning OK lately on the Hub. But when I changed the setting in the Yahoo mail account to allow access, I got a message that I was using a less secure access and had to agree that I understood that. I did the changes on my PC.
    FF22 and TBonius Rex like this.
    10-21-16 10:55 AM
37 12