When does Google do the once in every 24 hours back up? And are there settings for the timing ..... and whether it's on wifi or mobile data ....

(I can't find this stuff, but maybe I'm still overwhelmed ...)
    Google back up schedule-bb-priv-back-up.jpg
    01-19-17 05:56 PM
    This is what's supposed to be being backed up:
    Google back up schedule-bb-priv-backup-2.jpg

and this is what it shows as:
    Google back up schedule-bb-prive-backup-3.jpg

But, I can't identify what has been backed up, and it seems there's no capability to selectively restore, should I ever have the need ...
    01-19-17 06:17 PM
    And very importantly .... how do i know the size of the backup?
    01-19-17 06:19 PM
    Oh my!! After checking my telco account data usage, I'm not sure if the back up was around the 200mb range ..... ouch .... so I decided to stop the auto backup feature in settings, and it deleted the already backed up data in Drive!!! That's not how it should darn well work!

I should be able to backup when I want, that is turn it on/off when I want, without the extant backup being auto deleted by drive!!

Google back up schedule-bb-priv-backup-4.jpg
    01-19-17 06:36 PM
    It should be overnight when you're on WiFi, plus it'll do incremental if it needs to. Not sure why your backup was deleted by switching it on; I have multiple backup files on Drive. But I also don't mess with it, I turned it on and let it work its magic.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    01-19-17 07:11 PM
    I don't connect to wifi, and i turn my phone off overnight ....

I can't believe that there are no user settings for this quite important feature.

My first android experience, and can't believe that basic stuff like this is deemed to be somehow 'acceptable practice'.

I'd like to be able to manually transfer the appropriate files, like call log, sms, etc by file transfer when i plug the device in. But, I'm not sure call logs are readily identifiable on the device are they?
    01-19-17 08:43 PM
    In google drive you can go into settings and only allow backups on wifi if you are concerned about data usage.
    01-19-17 09:19 PM
    Thanks, but i don't want my backups on wifi. I've got 10gb per month phone data, so i use that.

I couldn't find a schedule, could you?
    01-19-17 09:26 PM
    And very importantly .... how do i know the size of the backup?
    The backup size should be very small.
    Open the Google Drive App on your Priv.
    Swipe in from the left.
    Tap backups. Look for the correct backup. If you're new to Android you should only have one. Note that it tells you the last time the backup was completed. Open the backup.
    There will then be two folders. Apps, and Device Settings. Device settings shows a filesize (on my device it's 2.1 MB).
    Apps doesn't show a size, but opening the folder will show a list of apps which have been backed up, along with the date and size.
    The largest app on mine is BlackBerry launcher at 1.7 MB, but most are much smaller such as Google Calendar at 3.9 KB.

I should also point out that most apps simply do not backup at all. In fact, excluding pre-installed Apps and Apps developed by Google, I only have one app which supports it.
    FF22 and anon(3641385) like this.
    01-19-17 10:10 PM
    Oh my!! After checking my telco account data usage, I'm not sure if the back up was around the 200mb range ..... ouch .... so I decided to stop the auto backup feature in settings, and it deleted the already backed up data in Drive!!! That's not how it should darn well work!

I should be able to backup when I want, that is turn it on/off when I want, without the extant backup being auto deleted by drive!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bb priv backup 4.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	416110
    I guarantee you the backup is not even close to 200MB.
    01-19-17 10:11 PM
    @1122334455667788;12735862, thanks

My only backup got deleted when i discontinued the back up in settings. When i went to turn off backups i got the choice of backups on, or backups off and deletion of all backup data.

Google has blundered by not allowing the user to turn off the back up, and keep the extant backups.

I don't need to back up every day, which is the only 'choice' cos there isn't a scheduler that i've found.

So, i can't now check the data/app info. However, i thought i had and they did not open up to reveal, but maybe i only tried the drive file (and it defo didn't give file info).
    01-19-17 10:40 PM
    @1122334455667788;12735862, thanks

My only backup got deleted when i discontinued the back up in settings. When i went to turn off backups i got the choice of backups on, or backups off and deletion of all backup data.

Google has blundered by not allowing the user to turn off the back up, and keep the extant backups.

I don't need to back up every day, which is the only 'choice' cos there isn't a scheduler that i've found.

So, i can't now check the data/app info. However, i thought i had and they did not open up to reveal, but maybe i only tried the drive file (and it defo didn't give file info).
    While I can sort of understand why you you'd think that, I think I understand why Google didn't bother. The amount of data needed for each backup is so small that there really isn't much point in not backing up everyday (actually I'd argue that so little is backed up that there is hardly any point in backing up at all) if using Wi-Fi. Google also warns you that the backed up data will be deleted in the confirmation dialogue when turning it off.

Here are the conditions that must be met to complete a backup: Backups occur automatically when all of the following conditions are met:

The user has enabled backup on the device in Settings > Backup & Reset.
    At least 24 hours have elapsed since the last backup.
    The device is idle and charging.
    The device is connected to a Wi-Fi network. If the device is never connected to a wifi network, then Auto Backup never occurs.
    https://developer.android.com/guide/...BackupSchedule

Unfortunately it appears that a backup will NEVER occur if you don't use Wi-Fi.
    I don't understand why they didn't add an option to override that limitation.
    01-19-17 11:01 PM
    Thanks, but i don't want my backups on wifi. I've got 10gb per month phone data, so i use that.

I couldn't find a schedule, could you?
    No. I had a backup from this morning that showed up on drive, but that's the first time I've ever checked so I don't know when the previous backups have taken place.

I believe I was at my office, on wifi, and plugged in at the time it showed
    01-20-17 12:00 AM
    In google drive you can go into settings and only allow backups on wifi if you are concerned about data usage.
    I believe I misspoke here. The toggle for only over wifi relates to transferring and uploading of files to google drive (nothing to do with backup). So, yah, I don't think there is an option for backup outside of wifi, per above reply that outlines conditions for backup
    01-20-17 12:06 AM