I have a question.

I don't have a Priv yet, but I am thinking of getting one within the next couple of months. But, one thing may be a sticking point for me.

I do have a Google Account, but it was set up way back in the day before Gmail had gone public, so my account address is my home ISP email account (as in "username@cox.net"). I've used this account for Google Play on my Z10 - the Cobalt patched version - without any problems. All account info goes to my regular email as it should.

The background on where I'm headed with this question is based on past experience with a Galaxy S2 for my son several years ago. When we set it up, and reached the Google Account part, we tried using my wife's account - which, like my Google Account, also uses her ISP email address. The phone would not accept it. It flat refused it saying that the account must have a Gmail address. This forced her to set up another Google Account that used specifically a Gmail address.

Is this still a requirement when setting up Android phones? Will the Priv force me to make a Gmail address too?

I do not want one. Even if it's just for the account, and never use for anything else, I just don't want to add to Google's Gmail numbers (which is the only reason they ever required this in the first place - there is no other valid reason for the requirement as they can send all the same Account information to any other email address just as easily).

Or, has anyone here set up a Priv successfully using Google Account with a non-Gmail email address?

11-15-15 10:57 AM
    Yes I'm using a Gmail email, I'm using a Google account under colourmail.net

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-15-15 11:04 AM
    yes its a requirement unless you have a really old account before it became gmail only
    11-15-15 11:07 AM
    Be mindful you can create an Account with Google and use ANY domain email address. Example, I use an @outlook.com email address
    jope28 likes this.
    11-15-15 11:13 AM
    Be mindful you can create an Account with Google and use ANY domain email address. Example, I use an @outlook.com email address
    Correct! No need to have a @Gmail.com account. My wife uses Hotmail for the Google account.
    11-15-15 11:27 AM
    Correct! No need to have a @Gmail.com account. My wife uses Hotmail for the Google account.
    Thanks,

I do know that even today, you can still create a Google Account without a Gmail address attached - they don't make it easy, but it can be done.

I just wanted to be sure that it still didn't "force" you to have a Gmail address tied to the account to set the phone itself up. That's all I'm concerned about.
    11-15-15 11:33 AM
    You don't 'need' a Google email with Android devices, but some functionality such as native backup, require a Google account, not email.
    11-15-15 07:11 PM
    Thanks,

I do know that even today, you can still create a Google Account without a Gmail address attached - they don't make it easy, but it can be done.

I just wanted to be sure that it still didn't "force" you to have a Gmail address tied to the account to set the phone itself up. That's all I'm concerned about.
    With creating the account, the Gmail portion ISN'T compulsory.
    11-15-15 09:16 PM