Will we be activating it with a google account or will our BBID still be what we use? Hope that's not a dumb question? I hope we still have our BBID.
    11-02-15 03:47 PM
    You will most likely need both.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 03:50 PM
    Well won't that be swell, hopefully no conflict and issues. Thanks
    11-02-15 03:52 PM
    Will we be activating it with a google account or will our BBID still be what we use? Hope that's not a dumb question? I hope we still have our BBID.
    Is a "google account" just your gmail plus PW ?
    11-02-15 04:54 PM
    Is a "google account" just your gmail plus PW ?
    Yes

BlackBerry Priv!!
    anon4226395 likes this.
    11-02-15 04:59 PM
    And what if your Google account is NOT tied to a Gmail address, but a regular ISP (*.net) based email address?

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 05:42 PM
    It's still your Google account.
    11-02-15 05:55 PM
    It's still your Google account.
    So we would have to use a gmail email account? I have a google account but not gmail and was hoping I would be able to avoid using a gmail email address with this phone
    11-02-15 06:12 PM
    So we would have to use a gmail email account? I have a google account but not gmail and was hoping I would be able to avoid using a gmail email address with this phone
    I took that he meant it didn't matter if it was Gmail or not, it is still your google account
    11-02-15 06:23 PM
    I figured that a Google account is a Google account regardless of whether or not specifically a Gmail address was attached.

But I only ask because way back when setting up my son's Galaxy S2 (so, this was a few years back), we tried to use an existing Google account that was not attached to a Gmail address. It flat out wouldn't take it. We ended up making another account with a Gmail address to finish the setup.

I'm just hoping that a Gmail address is no longer a requirement to finish an android phone setup, much less the Priv's setup.

Posted via CB10
    DJM626 likes this.
    11-02-15 06:42 PM
    Definitely not a dumb question OP.
    11-02-15 06:46 PM
    Well if the Priv is an Android phone, then chances are our BBID won't be useful anymore as the BBID is really needed for Bberry world and Bberry protect, which I assume won't be available any longer on the PRIV. The only thing I could see it used for would be to maybe activate bbm and retrieve old contacts.
    11-02-15 06:55 PM
    Definitely not a dumb question OP.
    Definitely not a dumb question but best for all people getting Priv to create new Gmail email. If you don't already have one. The easiest way.

BlackBerry Priv!!
    11-02-15 06:56 PM
    Well if the Priv is an Android phone, then chances are our BBID won't be useful anymore as the BBID is really needed for Bberry world and Bberry protect, which I assume won't be available any longer on the PRIV. The only thing I could see it used for would be to maybe activate bbm and retrieve old contacts.
    It will be needed for Password Keeper and BBM.

BlackBerry Priv!!
    11-02-15 06:57 PM
    I hadn't thought about this. Currently I forward my Gmail to my office 365 account because Gmail doesn't do exchange.

But if I use my Gmail account to sign into phone it will insist on having it as a mail account, so I might as well stop forwarding it... probably safe to assume android phone will handle Gmail as well as BB10 handles Exchange.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 08:17 PM
    You can have an unlimited number of gmail addresses
    11-02-15 09:23 PM
    I hadn't thought about this. Currently I forward my Gmail to my office 365 account because Gmail doesn't do exchange.

But if I use my Gmail account to sign into phone it will insist on having it as a mail account, so I might as well stop forwarding it... probably safe to assume android phone will handle Gmail as well as BB10 handles Exchange.

Posted via CB10
    You don't have to sync the gmail
    11-02-15 09:30 PM
    Cool, good to know.

However now that I think about it, the reason I forwarded it in the first place (rather than just have it as another account) was because BB didn't play nice with gmail, and gmail quit offering exchange. But with a google phone, my gmail should work fine, and I can just have it as a separate account again.

Actually works well.
    11-02-15 10:44 PM
    I figured that a Google account is a Google account regardless of whether or not specifically a Gmail address was attached.

But I only ask because way back when setting up my son's Galaxy S2 (so, this was a few years back), we tried to use an existing Google account that was not attached to a Gmail address. It flat out wouldn't take it. We ended up making another account with a Gmail address to finish the setup.

I'm just hoping that a Gmail address is no longer a requirement to finish an android phone setup, much less the Priv's setup.

Posted via CB10
    You would need a Google account that looks like van email address, but there is no need to use it for mail. You can use any address. I use it also for syncing in order not to loose any contact etc. When I on Friday will set up my Priv it will take me 1 min to get in all contacts and meetings because of that v Google account i or in my case, my gmsiaddress.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 10:59 PM
    Cool, good to know.

However now that I think about it, the reason I forwarded it in the first place (rather than just have it as another account) was because BB didn't play nice with gmail, and gmail quit offering exchange. But with a google phone, my gmail should work fine, and I can just have it as a separate account again.

Actually works well.
    Exactly!

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 11:03 PM
    Thanks for all the input, this helps me understand what will be needed, If Verizon gets the device. Thanks everyone.
    11-03-15 02:56 PM
    BBID will be limited to BBM and maybe some BlackBerry services. But you'll need a Google account if you want to access Google play.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-15 03:27 PM
    You don't need gmail, only a google account. I have an Android tablet, and have used it for years with only a google account, and have never set up a gmail account.
    11-03-15 04:58 PM
    Just to echo some of the replies. We need BlackBerry ID for BBM and any other BlackBerry Services used in the device, like: BlackBerry Meetings, BlackBerry Protect and anything else.... and of course, now that this is an Android device, a Google ID.... Oh life..... :-)

Posted via CB10
    11-03-15 06:22 PM
    What is the difference between a google account and none Gmail? I thought it was "[email protected]"
    11-03-15 06:36 PM
27 12