I have bought and moved Back and forth between Priv and Passport. In the last two years.
    They have both been brilliant. With no serious issues. There are no others of the same age out there ,that stand out like these two.
    So why is one bombarded with lack of support notices so soon in their lives. 5 years would more the time.
    I know TCL wants to sell update units but will they go so soon also?
    I find a mix of these two exclent. It cannot be good marketing to push EOL.

Posted via CB10
    anon(10218918) and Qorax like this.
    01-20-18 02:12 AM
    Two years of software support, matching up with the usual two year contract in North America, is the average for non-Apple/Google OEMs; you're lucky they kept going past the whole washing their hands of devices announcement in 2016. The Passport is going on three and a half years now, although the lack of a pulse in the OS for the past couple years begs the question of whether it's still "supported". Moreover, OEMs do have to dump old devices and move their customer base onto new ones at some point, since there's no money to be made supporting old hardware in perpetuity.
    Laura Knotek, pdr733 and Avenzuno like this.
    01-20-18 02:29 AM
    I understand that and take the point. However if short levity is the norm
    Should it be? Would allowing for the fact that BlackBerry brand is no longer top dog to change this policy could improve loyalty and actually improve sales of new BlackBerry branded units.The thought that ones phone was supported Beyond two years should be a +.

Posted via CB10
    Qorax likes this.
    01-20-18 02:49 AM
    I get it too, but the security updates for Priv should keep coming. of course now that all the phones are on Nougat, I guess it is less and less possible to do so. What would it take to put Nougat on the Priv? does the hardware not allow it?
    01-20-18 07:28 AM
    I understand that and take the point. However if short levity is the norm
    Should it be? Would allowing for the fact that BlackBerry brand is no longer top dog to change this policy could improve loyalty and actually improve sales of new BlackBerry branded units.The thought that ones phone was supported Beyond two years should be a +.

Posted via CB10
    I doubt longer support would increase sales. Nobody wants these phones. It is well documented why they failed. You could support it for 10 years, but without apps, they will not sell.
    01-20-18 07:42 AM
    I get it too, but the security updates for Priv should keep coming. of course now that all the phones are on Nougat, I guess it is less and less possible to do so. What would it take to put Nougat on the Priv? does the hardware not allow it?
    It's quite simple. Free updates is a disincentive for buying a new phone. The more a phone costs, the more updates it should get. Each OEM wants to get so much revenue per year from you the consumer. If you don't pay what they want, you don't get the latest OS, update.

It's like the push to midtier priced devices. Maybe you get OS update, maybe you don't.
    gebco and Mecca EL like this.
    01-20-18 08:05 AM
    I doubt longer support would increase sales. Nobody wants these phones. It is well documented why they failed. You could support it for 10 years, but without apps, they will not sell.
    I think we are talking about Android devices here. They do have apps.
    Sure, without a major Android update, apps will gradually be updated and become incompatible, but that should take many years.
    01-20-18 08:25 AM
    I think we are talking about Android devices here. They do have apps.
    Sure, without a major Android update, apps will gradually be updated and become incompatible, but that should take many years.
    Sorry. You had mentioned Passport so I wasn't sure.
    01-20-18 08:38 AM
    Sorry. You had mentioned Passport so I wasn't sure.
    Actually you might be right. I didn't read the OP as carefully as I should have.
    01-20-18 08:59 AM
    ...The more a phone costs, the more updates it should get.
    Priv owners should have received updates for another year or so then...
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    01-20-18 09:13 AM
    Bottom line is if updates and support is your absolute top priority then get an iPhone.

The only Android that comes close is a Google device (Nexus, Pixel) and even then, its a distant second.

Having said that I do feel bad for PRIV owners. BlackBerry really ought to have supported it right to the end of Marshmallow security updates. Of course they probably never anticipated (nor calculated into their business case) that at the start of 2018 Marshmallow would still be the most popular version of Android...and Oreo, the most current, at a meagre <1% uptake.
    01-20-18 09:35 AM
    On Android there are certain hurdles that prevent longterm support but recent changes like Project Treble and longer kernel support could help change that. It'll probably take a few years before we see the benefits though.
    01-20-18 10:24 AM
    Priv owners should have received updates for another year or so then...
    LOL - I think more AT&T models sold on Amazon or Ebay than with AT&T.
    newcollector likes this.
    01-20-18 10:27 AM
    It's quite simple. Free updates is a disincentive for buying a new phone. The more a phone costs, the more updates it should get. Each OEM wants to get so much revenue per year from you the consumer. If you don't pay what they want, you don't get the latest OS, update.
    Lack of updates, security updates to be precise, after a mere 2 years by a company that touts security has me looking elsewhere. If BB, or BBMobile or whoever decided to keep security updates going then for sure a BlackBerry would be my next phone. Now? Not so sure. For the first time since using BBOS5 I am looking outside the world of BlackBerry. Probably a Pixel.
    Avenzuno and HughJarsse like this.
    01-21-18 08:35 PM
    Lack of updates, security updates to be precise, after a mere 2 years by a company that touts security has me looking elsewhere. If BB, or BBMobile or whoever decided to keep security updates going then for sure a BlackBerry would be my next phone. Now? Not so sure. For the first time since using BBOS5 I am looking outside the world of BlackBerry. Probably a Pixel.
    That's great. My point wasn't just BB. It's now a dilemma for all OEM and you're going to pay one way or another.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-21-18 08:49 PM
    I agree too.
    Where is the home of the 7 year Warranty.
    If the fearsome world of motor vehicles Thinks it is good policy so should that of phones.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-18 01:35 AM
    As a further observation throughout a number of CB posts there appears to be a desire for continuity .
    BlackBerry was aimed at the top end of business and others who may be do not have time or want to learn a new devise every 18 months.
    BlackBerry came up with two fist class basic designs ,Priv and Passport.
    Should they not build on these two. An Android version of passport (maybe expanded K1) and a Priv 2 more or less the same with improvements. In addition to best economic support for BlackBerry 10 and priv 1 for at least five years?

Posted via CB10
    01-22-18 02:38 AM
    I agree too.
    If the fearsome world of motor vehicles Thinks it is good policy so should that of phones.

Posted via CB10
    If you think you want longer support, buy another brand and pay a higher price for that support and give up other features. I want a device, PKB or VKB, that comes with BBAndroid plus I only want to pay mid-tier price and have carrier purchase options.
    01-22-18 03:28 AM
    As a further observation throughout a number of CB posts there appears to be a desire for continuity .
    BlackBerry was aimed at the top end of business and others who may be do not have time or want to learn a new devise every 18 months.
    BlackBerry came up with two fist class basic designs ,Priv and Passport.
    Should they not build on these two. An Android version of passport (maybe expanded K1) and a Priv 2 more or less the same with improvements. In addition to best economic support for BlackBerry 10 and priv 1 for at least five years?

Posted via CB10
    Passport as Android will not happen due to the 1:1 screen ratio. The Play Store apps don't work properly with that ratio and Google deemed it too expensive to make it a reality. So a Passport Android sadly will not occur.

Your wishes about updated specs for a KEYtwo and a Priv 2 are all in TCL hands. It may be a while before a Flagship style phone comes from TCL. They have clearly said they are not going to build one until they can make sure the BlackBerry branded devices would be profitable at the higher spec and price point.

As for continued long term support: two years is the norm. Three for Pixel I believe, and more for iPhone (but you may have to put up with restrictions to save battery). Or you can do like my on a Non-secured BlackBerry - root the device and run one of the many solid custom OS's that are available. A friend had a OnePlus 1 and it was smoothly running Oreo thanks to a custom OS.
    01-22-18 06:52 AM
    On Android there are certain hurdles that prevent longterm support but recent changes like Project Treble and longer kernel support could help change that. It'll probably take a few years before we see the benefits though.
    Project treble will still not remove the carriers form the equation. They are the single biggest hurdle to timely updates.
    01-22-18 07:43 AM
    I agree too.

Posted via CB10
    Warranties do not guarantee software updates. You could buy a brand new Priv today and it will be covered under warranty for a year. But it won't get a newer Os than Marshmallow or a security update past November 2017.
    01-22-18 07:46 AM
    I agree too.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, but compare the price of a car vs the price of a phone.

If you wanted a 7 year (software) warranty on a phone you would certainly be screaming about the price of the phone. Remember, this software support COSTS THE COMPANY MONEY. SOMEBODY is going to wind up paying that cost!!!

That would be you and I, the customers!
    01-22-18 08:45 AM
    Yes, but compare the price of a car vs the price of a phone.

If you wanted a 7 year (software) warranty on a phone you would certainly be screaming about the price of the phone. Remember, this software support COSTS THE COMPANY MONEY. SOMEBODY is going to wind up paying that cost!!!

That would be you and I, the customers!
    Seven years ago was BBOS running Bold 9700
    01-22-18 09:05 AM
    Project treble will still not remove the carriers form the equation. They are the single biggest hurdle to timely updates.
    Carriers are just one of the many reasons for Android's update problems. Kernel's are a big problem as well, before the change Android devices were shipping with nearly EOL Linux kernels which made continued support a problem.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017...d-for-6-years/
    01-22-18 10:31 AM
    Carriers are just one of the many reasons for Android's update problems. Kernel's are a big problem as well, before the change Android devices were shipping with nearly EOL Linux kernels which made continued support a problem.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017...d-for-6-years/
    I get that, but if you read the full details of treble, the patches still have to ultimately come from the carriers on branded phones. In theory though, unlocked phones should get updates a lot faster. I'll take any improvement at this point though.
    01-22-18 11:20 AM
27 12