I am just wondering what are the advantages or disadvantages of using Gmail vs the BlackBerry Hub for email? I just got a PRIV (running marshmallow), from a Passport, so I am not familiar with the android versions.

Thanks

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-16-16 05:33 PM
    In the HUB you have swipe functions that you can select. Also in the HUB I just enjoy having ALL in one place. Not as integrated as in my Passport SE but getting better. Now as with updates!

Posted via Passport SE Maximus Productivity
    07-16-16 05:40 PM
    The Gmail app has spellcheck. The hub does not.

Though I love having everything aggregated in one spot.
    07-16-16 05:45 PM
    Thanks for your replies. I'm thinking I might give the hub a go. Do I need to disable gmail or turn it off somehow so I don't get would notifications?

07-16-16 08:30 PM
    Thanks for your replies. I'm thinking I might give the hub a go. Do I need to disable gmail or turn it off somehow so I don't get would notifications?

I'd say a good number of people have turned off or even disabled the solo Gmail app, if for no other reason then to avoid duplicates. I get my gmail (two accounts actually) using only the Hub.
    07-16-16 10:15 PM
    I use a Priv and a Note 4 and I use the Hub on the Priv. I'm pretty steeped in paid Google services but I also use a Passport so the Priv hub seems like a nice enhancement to Android.

On the Priv I just never set up Gmail separately. But you should be able to just set the app to not sync if you want to avoid it.

I use Gmail on my computer and on the Note 4. And using the BlackBerry version of Hub on the phone for a few days, I hate the Android Gmail app.

I miss the pinch for unread from bb10 but that's about it. Finding unread mail in Gmail is a joke ("Is:unread and in:updates". Absurd).

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android (Priv)
    07-16-16 10:38 PM
    I just migrated from a BlackBerry 10 phone to a Samsung a month plus ago. Still trying to understand and get used to having to use many apps to do things. Didn't need so many apps to do things on my BlackBerry 10.

Why do Android OS split up all the apps?

07-16-16 10:51 PM
    I just migrated from a BlackBerry 10 phone to a Samsung a month plus ago. Still trying to understand and get used to having to use many apps to do things. Didn't need so many apps to do things on my BlackBerry 10.

The real question is why you went Samsung a d not BlackBerry?

Posted via CrackBerry App for Android on America's 🌎 largest network.
    07-17-16 08:43 AM
    The real question is why you went Samsung and not BlackBerry?

Bfalcon1 and skinnymike1 like this.
    07-17-16 08:44 AM
    I use the hub for my gmail and turn off the synch which seems to save the battery. I use the Gmail itself for serious stuff with proper access to the folders etc.

Good luck down the 'Shirley' next year, which none of these Americans will understand!

07-17-16 10:13 AM
    The real question is why you went Samsung and not BlackBerry?

My Z10 was dying, I was having difficulty in charging my phone & it was getting too full even after deleting all data I have on the phone.

There are no BlackBerry 10 phones for sale in my market and the Priv is way more expensive than the Samsung S7 Edge.

07-17-16 11:07 AM
    That makes sense.

I got a new priv for 299 and it was updated to MM a few days later. This may be the only instance in the history of cell phones that US buyers got any sort of fair shake.

Samsung is reportedly coming out with a hub like setup. As noted above I use a Samsung, too and switching between apps is such a chore.

07-17-16 11:12 AM
    That makes sense.

I got a new priv for 299 and it was updated to MM a few days later. This may be the only instance in the history of cell phones that US buyers got any sort of fair shake.

Samsung is reportedly coming out with a hub like setup. As noted above I use a Samsung, too and switching between apps is such a chore.

Yes, I agree. Switching between apps is so clumsy. BlackBerry 10 is so much easier to switch between apps.

Nick Spagnolo likes this.
    07-17-16 12:30 PM
    The Gmail app has spellcheck. The hub does not.

Though I love having everything aggregated in one spot.
    No spell check, I have it in OS 10.?..................sure not turned off?
    07-18-16 07:23 AM
    Bug or weakness. BB is aware and hopefully, they will fix it.
    07-18-16 08:37 AM
    Hub is not an email box. It's an all in one communication tool. With out it my day would not be the same. Texts, bbms, calls, in email, out email, etc. What ever you want. One place to check. I would not move to a phone unless it had this 'hub' feature. If microsoft or someone else wants to come up with something similar than I might consider using their phones.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    07-18-16 08:54 AM
    For what it is worth, Cobalt has an amazing app that puts the BlackBerry Android suite on any Marshmallow phone. It is somewhere here in the forums. I don't know if it works as good as the apps on the Priv. Obviously you don't get the secure kernel with that setup, but while that is important to me I don't know if the rest of the world cares, given BlackBerry's state of affairs.

FF22 likes this.
    07-18-16 12:09 PM
    I was coming also from the passport and I use exclusively the hub for my 3 Gmail accounts.
    Have used for sometime Samsung tablet and a note and frankly I never liked the native Gmail app.

I have disable synch on the native Gmail app to avoid double notifications and battery consumption.

Posted via my BlackBerry Priv
    FF22 likes this.
    07-18-16 03:43 PM
    Bug or weakness. BB is aware and hopefully, they will fix it.
    It's an Android bug. This thread has all of the info on it.
    https://forums.crackberry.com//black...emails-1060335

I wish Blackberry would instead re-invent the wheel with their own HTML editor. The fix is in Android's changelog but hasn't made it out yet. We'll probably see it in a year for general release ha!
    anon(9742832) likes this.
    07-27-16 10:57 AM
    Can you let us know the things to do to achieve this.
    12-14-16 10:06 AM
    One feature I like about the Gmail app is that it has undo send. It gives you the ability to undo send for 20 seconds. I use that feature all the time.
    12-14-16 10:13 AM
    When I wrote a lengthy mail the hub crashed and even though I could recover parts of the mail from the Google mail app in the draft folder quite a bit was lost. For long mails I've decided to use the Gmail app.
    This was on the first couple of days after got the Priv so perhaps the current version of the Hub is more stable.
    Otherwise the hub is a good idea. But it probably needs updates whenever an app like whatsapp has a major change. So one has to hope that BlackBerry keeps supporting it in the future.
    bluesqueen23 likes this.
    12-15-16 05:15 PM
    I disabled the hub when I first got the Priv in March because the phone was overheating with it on. Have updates improved that?
    12-16-16 02:44 AM