Planning to buy a PRIV especially now with the low price.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-27-16 07:42 AM
    unless you must have a keyboard i would recommend a DTEK 60 over a priv anyday
    RobertP1 likes this.
    10-27-16 07:45 AM
    unless you must have a keyboard i would recommend a DTEK 60 over a priv anyday
    +1. Much stronger spec and feels more premium due to the sturdiness and glass back. As much as I like my Priv, DTEK60 is a bargain in comparison. To me, fingerprint scanner, S820, and usable front camera easily justify the price difference.
    10-27-16 08:03 AM
    Are you using a PRIV now? Want tobget some feedback.

10-27-16 08:22 AM
    I have a Priv and it's a great phone. Love the camera. The form factor. Screen and all that.

Although a year since its launch, the DTEK60 has launched. With a processor that's more than twice as fast. There are times where the 808 processor in the Priv starts to lack the necessary power.

That alone and the front cam would make me choose the D60. The physical keyboard is why I'm staying with Priv.
    10-27-16 08:25 AM
    Im really a big fan of the physical keyboard but got a little bit sceptic because of all the bad reviews I hear from youtube. Heating problem draining etc

Last edited by ThePassporter93; 10-27-16 at 08:47 AM.
    ChrisLeNeve likes this.
    10-27-16 08:35 AM
    Im really a big fan of the physical keyboard but got a little bit sceptic because of all the bad reviews I hear from youtube. Heating problem draining etc

Most of the reviews are from Priv's early days and therefore based on how it performed with Android 5. Since the update to Android 6 (Marshmallow) many things have improved, including performance, heating problems etc.

I've purchased it two months ago so I've only seen how it performs on MM. It's a great phone. I don't use the front cam so I don't care that it's somewhat subpar and everything else about it is more than fine. Love the physical keyboard. Unless you're into gaming, I don't believe you'd notice any performance improvements with DTEK60. From what I've seen on DTEK60 YouTube videos, and also with other phones with faster and those with slower, last or this year's mid-range, chipsets, in regular use the performance benefits from a faster CPU are pretty much unnoticable.
    mithrazor, so crow, BBMQ10 and 1 others like this.
    10-27-16 09:22 AM
    Most of the reviews are from Priv's early days and therefore based on how it performed with Android 5. Since the update to Android 6 (Marshmallow) many things have improved, including performance, heating problems etc.

I've purchased it two months ago so I've only seen how it performs on MM. It's a great phone. I don't use the front cam so I don't care that it's somewhat subpar and everything else about it is more than fine. Love the physical keyboard. Unless you're into gaming, I don't believe you'd notice any performance improvements with DTEK60. From what I've seen on DTEK60 YouTube videos, and also with other phones with faster and those with slower, last or this year's mid-range, chipsets, in regular use the performance benefits from a faster CPU are pretty much unnoticable.
    This.

Unless you are a 1% PowerUser/Gamer, if the physical keyboard is something you think you are interested in, I definitely think the Priv is the way to go. Like he said, all of those reviews are old. Go look up OnePlus One reviews, that phone had some issues in the first 4 months that left that phone's touchscreen unusable. Now, after updates, it is as fast as any mid-range phone this year, and that phone is over 2 years old.

In today's technology, I wouldn't worry about specs that are a year old. Within 6 months, there will be another slew of phones that come out that are better than the 60. These phones are so good now-a-days, that under normal usage they should work until we physically break the phone, which in my wife's case, is approximately 10 months of usage....
    BBMQ10 likes this.
    10-27-16 09:33 AM

This pretty much is spot on with my own experience since I got my new Priv last month.

I've had none of the issues like overheating, short battery life, clicky screens, etc. I consider it the best smartphone (and the cheapest I've ever bought in years at the price I got it for) I've ever used in years.

Sure, it's almost a year old, but for what it's worth, it holds up well with most 2016 phones unless you're into processor hungry gaming.

The physical keyboard is just top notch. It's not as tactile as my Q10, but I easily acclimated to it within an hour of usage. I say go for it while you still can buy one brand new. There may never be again anything like it in its form factor.

Its vkb is very accurate that's why for speed, I use it most of the time. But for those times when I feel nostalgic, nothing beats the pkb. Sure, it's slower to use, but the accuracy in using a tactile pkb is unbeatable when typing long messages or email.

BBMQ10 likes this.
    10-27-16 09:51 AM
    If you've waited this long, wait a few more months.
    if the PKB is a must, wait for an update for the Mercury. If you want a BB w/ Android, hop onto the DT50 or 60 instead.

One major downfall with the Priv (IMO) is the build quality - utter rubbish compared to any of the past BBs. I'd take one of the old curves my sister had, it was much stronger. I've had mine for about 10months, and a lot f ware and tear - not what i expected as my previous BBs took a lot more of a beating.
    10-27-16 10:07 AM
    I can always tell when I get an email or text from somebody using a iPhone or Android - there are spelling mistakes (too much trouble to type words in full or correct with the vkb), abbreviations, sloppy capitalizations.......... When they're sent from a BlackBerry with the pkb they look professional.
    So I guess it all depends on whether a person wants to be thought of as a professional or a gamer/teenage girl.
    bigedschukar, BBMQ10 and Mirko935 like this.
    10-27-16 10:24 AM
    I can always tell when I get an email or text from somebody using a iPhone or Android - there are spelling mistakes (too much trouble to type words in full or correct with the vkb), abbreviations, sloppy capitalizations.......... When they're sent from a BlackBerry with the pkb they look professional.
    So I guess it all depends on whether a person wants to be thought of as a professional or a gamer/teenage girl.
    I send professional emails from my iPhone all the time. I own & operate a booking agency and I rarely if ever send an email that contains spelling or punctuation errors.
    00stryder likes this.
    10-27-16 11:36 AM
    I purchased my Priv in March 2016 and unfortunately have had all of the usual issues (overheating, short battery life, clicky screens, etc... unlocked and running the latest updates). At the beginning of the month I was having an issue with the device locking up; it would literally just be sitting on my desk, I'd go to use it and it would be locked up. Then when it would restart it would have the original/standard Priv wallpaper on the home screen. Weird, but it seems to have gone away after a week of frustration.

All of the issues aside, I still like the Priv and plan on keeping it... at least until the DTEK60 goes down in price or Mercury comes out. I LOVED my Passport SE, but I was tired of the app-gap and lack of BB support, so that is why I made the switch to Android. I don't use the physical keyboard all day/every day, but when I use it I find it to be very good. Of course it's not as good as a nice Bold or Q10 or Passport keyboard, but it's not as terrible as some would have you believe. Also, I love using it as a trackpad when I'm scrolling through a document or website.

So, I would say give the Priv a try! You can't beat the price (unless you go for something gently used).
    Good Luck!
    dgsPRIV likes this.
    10-27-16 11:37 AM
    I like the look of the DTEK60, but like the others here, the keypad is such a huge form factor for me. Not willing to side with my Priv until there's another premium qwerty on offer.
    10-27-16 12:35 PM
    Just as an aside, I have been thinking about the priv and find the dtek60 so attractive, yet i need to be on Verizon where I live, and I doubt there will be any chance of a cdma dtek60, so I'm still interested in reading about the responses to the op other than "get a dtek60 its better" . . .
    10-27-16 01:12 PM
    I bought my first priv right after release and also had a lot of the mentioned problems like creaky back, overheating, battery drain, etc. This summer all of a sudden the proximity sensor stopped working, so I had it replaced. This time the device is perfect. None of the issues I had with the previous one. It really is a gorgeous device.
    10-27-16 02:28 PM
    Go for Priv if you're into PKB. But I think DTEK60 would be a nicer option.
    10-27-16 02:54 PM
    I have been on the fence for the new DTEK60 or a nice used unlocked Priv w/hard case for 230.00 dollars here from a focal dealer who took it on trade, I will probably go with the Priv for the price and my nephew whom I gave my original Priv to has had the device for almost a year and still loves it and says it's gets better with each update.

Being I am not a gamer, but a business person who mainly uses my device for email, text and social media, it's about the best value for the money and with used Priv's going for 250-300 here in my area, it's still a great device for the money. Just my two cents.
    FF22 and jakie55 like this.
    10-28-16 06:46 AM
    [QUOTE=gqmovement;12642374

One major downfall with the Priv (IMO) is the build quality - utter rubbish compared to any of the past BBs. I'd take one of the old curves my sister had, it was much stronger. I've had mine for about 10months, and a lot f ware and tear - not what i expected as my previous BBs took a lot more of a beating.[/QUOTE]

Totally disagree with this assessment. I had both Torch sliders and this one. The Build quality is excellent on the Priv. Very well made. An engineering wonder. The pkb is unique, but it is easy to get used to. I came from a Passport and it didnt take me long to get up to speed with the Priv.

The slider mechanism is nice and firm. there is no wobble. All in all the Priv is very well made.
    Mirko935, FF22 and jakie55 like this.
    10-28-16 07:09 AM

You probably only saw the reviews of the early days,

The device is complete now, software updates are brilliant,

Look the other guys have a point about the pkb, if you not going to use the pkb rather get the dtek60 as it's by far a superior phone in terms of specs,

But if you a pkb guy I can't honestly see why you wouldn't move from your passport to this, I did and I don't regret it one bit.
    bakron1 and FF22 like this.
    10-28-16 07:44 AM

AGREE 100%
    10-28-16 08:49 AM
    Totally disagree with this assessment. I had both Torch sliders and this one. The Build quality is excellent on the Priv. Very well made. An engineering wonder. The pkb is unique, but it is easy to get used to. I came from a Passport and it didnt take me long to get up to speed with the Priv.

The slider mechanism is nice and firm. there is no wobble. All in all the Priv is very well made.
    Again 100% agree
    newcollector and BBMQ10 like this.
    10-28-16 08:51 AM
    Just as an aside, I have been thinking about the priv and find the dtek60 so attractive, yet i need to be on Verizon where I live, and I doubt there will be any chance of a cdma dtek60, so I'm still interested in reading about the responses to the op other than "get a dtek60 its better" . . .
    If you are okay without physical keyboard go for DTEK60. I like my Priv and it's excellent till today. The only overlook is that it turned out I rarely use the physical keyboard. But other than that I have no complain
    Last edited by oleleho; 10-28-16 at 09:06 AM.
    10-28-16 08:56 AM

I was going to write a review, but this is pretty much what I would say.

Coming from Bold-Classic, I pretty much only use the PKB. Plus, it still puts a smile on my face when I slide it open and see jaws drop. It may not be newly released, but everyone that sees it thinks its the latest tech yet.
    Mirko935, Jrox74 and so crow like this.
    10-28-16 10:18 AM
    I was going to write a review, but this is pretty much what I would say.

Coming from Bold-Classic, I pretty much only use the PKB. Plus, it still puts a smile on my face when I slide it open and see jaws drop. It may not be newly released, but everyone that sees it thinks its the latest tech yet.
    It's true some people I know get blown away when they see the screen slide and there a PKB that also doubles as a trackpad
    Jrox74 likes this.
    10-28-16 10:24 AM
53 123