This is the only way I can really explain it. The view in the camera App is sharper than the photo taken by the camera (regardless of App used).

Am I crazy? In fact, what's bothering me is just how GOOD it looks in the app, and then the actually photo comes out fuzzy and almost like theres a filter on it.

Could the OIS be acting up? all sensors are working fine is BBVE so other than the camera software or hardware being faulty I just dont get it
    02-22-17 02:48 PM
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...003087e48c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...74f43c7787.jpg

This is the only way I can really explain it. The view in the camera App is sharper than the photo taken by the camera (regardless of App used).

Am I crazy? In fact, what's bothering me is just how GOOD it looks in the app, and then the actually photo comes out fuzzy and almost like theres a filter on it.

Could the OIS be acting up? all sensors are working fine is BBVE so other than the camera software or hardware being faulty I just dont get it
    Seriously learn about photography. What is most likely happening with this image, and it doesn't actually look that bad, is a number of things. When you look at the display, it is giving you a live image, basically a video, not one spot on the screen is staying in the same place, your eye compensates for this, and it all looks sharp. When you take the image, the shutter has to stay open long enough to expose the image properly, in this case, as in your other examples, the lighting is not that bright, the image requires a relatively long shutter speed, this means the image will experience some blur due to movement of the camera/phone. The camera app also chooses a higher ISO sensitivity causing some image noise, making it look a bit softer.

Go outside, and take an image in good lighting. Most likely, it will be a good image.
    02-22-17 09:53 PM
    The Priv had issues when it first came out with taking photos of whites. They did a few updates but they may have not fully fixed it.
    Try going to Google play and see, just maybe there's an update waiting for you. You may have to search for the app just to make sure. Just a thought.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-17 10:33 PM
    Seriously learn about photography. What is most likely happening with this image, and it doesn't actually look that bad, is a number of things. When you look at the display, it is giving you a live image, basically a video, not one spot on the screen is staying in the same place, your eye compensates for this, and it all looks sharp. When you take the image, the shutter has to stay open long enough to expose the image properly, in this case, as in your other examples, the lighting is not that bright, the image requires a relatively long shutter speed, this means the image will experience some blur due to movement of the camera/phone. The camera app also chooses a higher ISO sensitivity causing some image noise, making it look a bit softer.

Go outside, and take an image in good lighting. Most likely, it will be a good image.
    Both of these pictures are seriously compressed before updating unfortunately, the difference is very noticeable in person.

The issue is that this is the only device I've used which does this. IPhone 6, passport and z30 have never given me this kind of difference between what I see and what gets captured.
    If I take the same photo on my passport it is crystal clear.

So if anything, this isn't behaviour anyone would want
    02-22-17 10:36 PM
    Both of these pictures are seriously compressed before updating unfortunately, the difference is very noticeable in person.

The issue is that this is the only device I've used which does this. IPhone 6, passport and z30 have never given me this kind of difference between what I see and what gets captured.

Well, now that you are comparing to other specific phones, I will say that Priv does not seem to do much processing to the image, which for many is a good thing. The iPhone does. It creates a very beautiful image without user manipulation. I shoot RAW with my real cameras so I don't notice what you do, nor do I want the camera to over saturate or oversharpen the image. If you use a basic image editor and apply a small amount of contract and sharpen the image, it will give you what you are looking for. The only real way to compare is to take the same exact photo with the iPhone, and with the Priv and compare. The iPhone has a great camera and camera app. Then again, the Priv has a very nice lens. Overall, it does a great job, then again, I do photography and understand what is going on, and how to work with it and get what I want. Not everything in an image is going to be in focus, only what is withing the plane of focus. If you are shooting close up, this will be more apparent.
    chuckiev79 likes this.
    02-22-17 11:59 PM

Forgot to mention....second thing and most importantly. You bought a second hand device. You have no clue what the previous owner has done to the phone.
    02-23-17 05:24 AM
    Forgot to mention....second thing and most importantly. You bought a second hand device. You have no clue what the previous owner has done to the phone.
    And I guess we can admit, even without those potential hidden issues, there might just be hardware focusing issues. Although, the fuzzy knitted scarf is a hard subject to capture. I mean, maybe the phone focused on one or two thread or pieces of fuzz which are sharp.

But a friend wanted some shots of a lap robe she made me so she could possibly duplicate it. So I took a quick series of shots. But they are consolidated into a collage. In the one separate image, the blue seems sharper than the white knit.

fuzzy pictures with priv-lap2.jpg
    fuzzy pictures with priv-lap.jpg
    fuzzy pictures with priv-img_20170209_1958204.jpg
    02-23-17 08:42 AM
    Its a software issue if anything. It use to be worse than you show. The camera software had problems with light colors, but no issues with dark. They rolled out updates in the past when the phone was first released. It fixwd some of the issue, but I'm guessing not all.
    FF22 likes this.
    02-23-17 09:10 AM
    And I guess we can admit, even without those potential hidden issues, there might just be hardware focusing issues. Although, the fuzzy knitted scarf is a hard subject to capture. I mean, maybe the phone focused on one or two thread or pieces of fuzz which are sharp.

But a friend wanted some shots of a lap robe she made me so she could possibly duplicate it. So I took a quick series of shots. But they are consolidated into a collage. In the one separate image, the blue seems sharper than the white knit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170209_1958204.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	248.4 KB 
ID:	417914
    Okay, once again, you need to take the image in good light. That will help immensely. If the yarn is truly white, then this image is underexposed, there is a dial on the screen to compensate for that. The white looks fuzzy to you compared to the darker areas, because it is, well, white. If you take out some of the highlights, or even simply add contrast, you would show more detail. Once again, it isn't the camera, it is the processing. The white balance may also be off, most likely because of the light source. Here is the same image, with nothing changed but the highlights. Also remember, if these have been altered for upload, and compressed, the white area will lose more detail than a multi-colored area.

fuzzy pictures with priv-highlightadjust.jpg
    02-23-17 12:45 PM
    Also remember, in bad light, the shutter speed is slower, slower means the shutter will be open longer, which means any movement of the camera/phone, will result in a fuzzy picture. You may think you are being steady, but the camera is moving, and it takes very little movement to blur an image, very little. Just think how small a pixel is in an image like this, and then think of how small a movement is when hold a camera, if the lens is open for 1/30 of a second, you will blur the image across multiple pixels, 1/15 of a second is even worse, ad so on. You lose detail this way.

Here is an image taken in poor light, with the camera braced against my side to minimize movement. The resulting shutter speed was 1/15 of a second.

fuzzy pictures with priv-1-15_second_1024.jpg

Here is the same piece shot at 1/30 second, in marginally better light. It is dark and cloudy out and this is in the window.

fuzzy pictures with priv-1-30_second_1024.jpg

Here is a shot, also in bad light, shot at 1/17 of a second, to show depth of field. The Priv has an aperture of 2.2. That is is decent for lower light because it lets more light in, allowing the camera to use a higher shutter speed than if the aperture were smaller, like maybe 3.5. With a bigger aperture, comes less depth of field, or apparent focus, meaning, things out of the plane of true focus won't look as sharp. This is true with all lenses on all cameras. Smaller sensors will show more depth of field at a given aperture than on a larger sensor, so the Priv will have greater depth of field at 2.2 than a DSLR, but the depth of field still matters and is still shallow. If you shoot something at an angle, more areas of the image will be out of the plane of focus.

fuzzy pictures with priv-depth_of_field_1-17_1024.jpg

There is nothing wrong with your camera.
    02-23-17 01:15 PM
    fuzzy pictures with priv-img_20170223_1410061.jpgfuzzy pictures with priv-img_20170223_1410079.jpgfuzzy pictures with priv-img_20170223_1410117.jpgfuzzy pictures with priv-img_20170223_140302.jpg

One of these is from my passport, the other 3 are attempts with the priv. No matter how hard I try to get a steady shot, it just doesn't get as sharp as on the passport. I took a single photo with the passport, and I tried about 10 different times with the priv before I got those "top 3"

I understand what youre saying with respect to the shutter speed and the different camera aperture. Could this mean that since the passport has a 2.0 aperture it has a quicker shutter in low light, therefore any hand shaking would be less noticeable?
    Both have OIS which I was under the impression should increase stability quite a bit, which does seem to work on the passport but much less on the priv? I can hear the OIS "click" when I turn on the camera on the priv too, its surprisingly loud.

Is it the nature of the priv camera to have poor stabilization in low light? Could the passport actually have the better camera and the reason I'm not impressed is because ive downgraded camera-wise?

Keep in mind when youre looking at those pics, like I said, I had to take about 10 shots with the priv before I got those 3 decent ones, whereas 1 shot with the passport came out crystal clear
    02-23-17 01:38 PM

One of these is from my passport, the other 3 are attempts with the priv. No matter how hard I try to get a steady shot, it just doesn't get as sharp as on the passport. I took a single photo with the passport, and I tried about 10 different times with the priv before I got those "top 3"

I understand what youre saying with respect to the shutter speed and the different camera aperture. Could this mean that since the passport has a 2.0 aperture it has a quicker shutter in low light, therefore any hand shaking would be less noticeable?
    Both have OIS which I was under the impression should increase stability quite a bit, which does seem to work on the passport but much less on the priv? I can hear the OIS "click" when I turn on the camera on the priv too, its surprisingly loud.

Is it the nature of the priv camera to have poor stabilization in low light? Could the passport actually have the better camera and the reason I'm not impressed is because ive downgraded camera-wise?

Keep in mind when youre looking at those pics, like I said, I had to take about 10 shots with the priv before I got those 3 decent ones, whereas 1 shot with the passport came out crystal clear
    I took your third image from the top, and changed the color balance, and applied a little sharpening. The detail in the white area of the tag is clipped, there is no detail to recover there, that part is overexposed. It seems the Passport kept the exposure under control better, or simply has more dynamic range. You can use the exposure compensation dial to underexpose maybe a third to a half a stop if you want to experiment.

You image from the Priv is sharp, that is not a problem, it is the way the image is being processed that is different. That os no big deal and can be easily corrected to your tastes in an editor. Between the two, from a sharpness standpoint, I really think it is a tossup. You generally do not view an image at 100 percent anyway, and both, if processed right, look good. I get better images, consistently with the Priv, than I ever did with the Passport.

fuzzy pictures with priv-test1.jpg

Actually, when I look at your Passport image, and the one I edited, the one I edited looks sharper at 100 %.

Here is your original Passport shot.

fuzzy pictures with priv-img_20170223_140302.jpg

You have to understand how a camera figures out the exposure. The camera is calibrated to expose a scene as 18% grey, that means, if you have a completely white scene, and you take a picture of it relying on automatic exposure, as you are, the resulting picture will look 18% grey, not actually white. To get it to look white, you would have to compensate, and add more exposure, a longer shutter speed or wider aperture. With the Priv, you would use the exposure compensation dial to add between +1 and +2 in order for it to look white. In these images, you have a relatively dark grey scarf, it is darker than 18 \% grey, the Priv and the Passport is showing a different exposure for the scene, as many different cameras may do, for various reasons, the Priv looks like it did in fact expose "correctly," maneing for 18% grey, that washed out the image a bit, overexposing the white area causing you to lose detail there. If you underexpose it a bit to compensate, it will look like the Passport image. In this case I would underexpose -.5 and see how that looked, then try -.1 if it wasn't enough.

None of this is a real issue, in fact, in practice, the Priv is giving me better results than my Passport did. I think that is because it works much quicker than my Passport's camera did. I also relied on a third party camera app for the Passport so I could set everything manually since I wasn't happy with it overall. For me, the Priv seems to focus quicker and is nicer to use. It is closer to my real cameras in the way it exposes a scene, so I know what I will get.
    Last edited by PHughes; 02-23-17 at 04:21 PM.
    mad_mdx and FF22 like this.
    02-23-17 04:04 PM
    Thanks I see what you mean, but why is it so much harder for me to get this sharp picture? That's my concern right now, as that seems to be the factor at play between the clear and fuzzy pictures.

It took 10 times as much effort to get a steady shot. Is this the nature of the priv or do others not have this much trouble with their privs?
    Also, does everyone else camera click loudly when turning it on?
    02-23-17 04:12 PM
    at OP,

i've been having this problem and it has ONLY progressed the longer i've had the phone.

at first pictures came out pretty smooth and quick, and recently have been worse and worse. whether im taking a regular picture, sending one through bbm or whatsapp starts off blurry and have to wait for moments for it clear or i have to hold the screen to make it focus.

samething happens with snapchat as well.

not sure if anyone has found any work around
    mad_mdx likes this.
    02-23-17 04:16 PM
    Thanks I see what you mean, but why is it so much harder for me to get this sharp picture? That's my concern right now, as that seems to be the factor at play between the clear and fuzzy pictures.

It took 10 times as much effort to get a steady shot. Is this the nature of the priv or do others not have this much trouble with their privs?
    Also, does everyone else camera click loudly when turning it on?

no camera sound. maybe because i leave the phone on vibrate
    02-23-17 04:17 PM
    On silent or not, I get a loud click (which is supposed to be the ois activating). I was just wondering if I was the only one with it loud enough to hear. It sounds like if you were tapping the back of the phone.

My only other device with ois is the passport and it makes no audible sound unless you really put your ear to it.

The priv does have super fast focus, it's impressive really, and looks great until I click on the camera button lol.
    02-23-17 04:19 PM
    Is your Priv still under warranty?
    02-23-17 04:22 PM
    Is your Priv still under warranty?
    Nope it's a second hand device. My debate is whether to buy a new camera and swap it out. Doesn't seem hard to change, but they are a bit expensive, around $80, and I'm not even sure they would be oem.

Hence why I'm really trying to find out the source of the problem before doing that.

Thanks for the good advice, I'll try to work on my picture taking skills and see if I can improve that before taking this apart
    02-23-17 04:27 PM
    Also remember, when looking at the two images side by side, the Priv creates a larger, higher resolution image than the Passport, so at pixel level it may look "fuzzier" to you since you will be looking at a more magnified image than on the Passport image. I went through the same thing years ago when I moved from an 8MP DSLR to a 15MP DSLR, at pixel level, the 8MP seemed better, but the 15MP image actually had better detail and looked better when printed large.

I just took two images, on with the Passport, and one with the Priv, both were in bad light, but I preferred the one from the Priv. I also do not believe either camera uses OIS for the camera, only when shooting video. If you haven't tried what I suggested earlier, set the camera to "Focus Before Capture," that is in the settings.
    02-23-17 04:38 PM
    Good luck, I hope you figure it out.
    02-23-17 04:38 PM
45 12