I just bought a second hand priv and have been noticing that the camera has been absolutely awful.

When I'm looking at the viewfinder/camera before taking a shot, the view looks very sharp, but once I take the shot, the picture is always a little fuzzy.

Sometimes when I take q picture with the flash it will actually just come out super white, as if the camera could not time itself with the flash

Anyone else experienced this? I'm at the latest software update and camera update as well. The phone is not under any load when I'm taking these pictures.

Attached Thumbnails fuzzy pictures with priv-13195.jpg  
    Last edited by mad_mdx; 02-20-17 at 01:13 AM.
    02-20-17 12:51 AM
    I can't use flash most of the time because of the whiteout..otherwise, decent pic quality.
    02-20-17 12:59 AM
    Has it always been like this? Is this expected behaviour?
    02-20-17 01:13 AM
    The pictues are taken in low light condition. Try to take some picture with outdoor lightning
    02-20-17 04:27 AM
    The pictues are taken in low light condition. Try to take some picture with outdoor lightning
    Do you have a case on it that doesn't fit perfectly? I experienced this on a phone once where the case around the flash covered part of it that caused a glare reflecting every time it came on.
    02-20-17 08:06 AM
    As suggested, first test outside on a day with good lighting. Its low-light pictures can be hit and miss. Flash can overwhelm a tight image.

And while I'm sure that you checked, make sure that the lens is clean. A hazy lens can lead to awful images as the following Z30 comparison shows.

fuzzy pictures with priv-dirty-lens-compare.jpg
    gizmo21 likes this.
    02-20-17 08:43 AM
    Do you have a case on it that doesn't fit perfectly? I experienced this on a phone once where the case around the flash covered part of it that caused a glare reflecting every time it came on.
    Unfortunately no, there's no case. It just seems to happen randomly.
    02-20-17 08:44 AM
    Is the phone hot?
    02-20-17 09:56 AM
    As suggested, first test outside on a day with good lighting. Its low-light pictures can be hit and miss. Flash can overwhelm a tight image.

And while I'm sure that you checked, make sure that the lens is clean. A hazy lens can lead to awful images as the following Z30 comparison shows.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dirty Lens Compare.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	457.4 KB 
ID:	417784
    The issue I'm having is a bit different. When I'm looking through the camera, before taking the picture, it looks clean and crisp like in the second picture. Once I take the picture, it comes out with an unusual fuzziness, similar to the top picture.

At this point I'm guessing it's the camera itself...
    02-20-17 10:11 AM
    Is the phone hot?
    Nope, battery level is good, not on battery saver, no other apps running
    02-20-17 10:13 AM
    The issue I'm having is a bit different. When I'm looking through the camera, before taking the picture, it looks clean and crisp like in the second picture. Once I take the picture, it comes out with an unusual fuzziness, similar to the top picture.

At this point I'm guessing it's the camera itself...
    No, it isn't the camera. I would go on a long dissertation on how people should learn about photography so they would be able to better understand what is going on, and the limitations of photography in general, but I won't. What I will recommend, it to go into settings in the camera app, hit the overflow, the three dots in the upper right hand corner in the camera app, choose Settings, then turn on, Focus before capture. See if that fixes your problem. Also, keep the phone still after you click the shutter, since the camera will have to focus, then actually snap the picture. If you move during that time, it will be blurry.

And your top photo isn't really blurry, it was shot on high sensitivity due to poor lighting, and has image noise which causes it too look fuzzy to you.
    FF22 likes this.
    02-20-17 11:55 AM
    No, it isn't the camera. I would go on a long dissertation on how people should learn about photography so they would be able to better understand what is going on, and the limitations of photography in general, but I won't. What I will recommend, it to go into settings in the camera app, hit the overflow, the three dots in the upper right hand corner in the camera app, choose Settings, then turn on, Focus before capture. See if that fixes your problem. Also, keep the phone still after you click the shutter, since the camera will have to focus, then actually snap the picture. If you move during that time, it will be blurry.

And your top photo isn't really blurry, it was shot on high sensitivity due to poor lighting, and has image noise which causes it too look fuzzy to you.
    That's what I mean. There's a ton of noise even with perfect focus and if I lay it down and use a timer. I may try to find someone with a priv around me to compare.
    Furthermore, that doesn't explain the randomly occuring whiteout flash photos.
    Isn't that why there's a flash? To use the camera in low light and still get a picture lol.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-17 02:39 PM
    That's what I mean. There's a ton of noise even with perfect focus and if I lay it down and use a timer. I may try to find someone with a priv around me to compare.
    Isn't that why there's a flash? To use the camera in low light and still get a picture lol.

Posted via CB10
    I THINK the flash is mainly for lighting up a nearby scene or portrait and NOT close in objects. The flash will just burn out the image but this is also the case with a camera and its flash. It is kind of the opposite effect of someone trying to use the flash to light up the Acropolis - the flash disappears in the distance. The Priv now has "flashlight" mode which just turns on the led which is much less bright than the flash. Give that a try.
    02-20-17 03:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    It doesn't matter if you use the time or not in this instance, the sensitivity is still high in order to capture the image. You cannot adjust the sensitivity manually on this. If you could, you could set a long exposure and set the phone in a support and use a timer. It is not a limitation of only this camera. Take a picture in good lighting, outside, touch the screen on the part you want in focus and exposed properly, then look at the results.

If you are very close up on an object, using the flash, a whiteout is very possibly since the flash most likely is too powerful to be used close up. EDIT: I have just done some testing and have been able to use the flash effectively close up. I will say again though, it really helps if you know the fundamentals of photography.
    02-20-17 03:02 PM
    I'm not sure you're understanding this. The picture always comes out fuzzy EVEN though in the viewfinder it is clear. Only once recorded it is noisy.
    When I take a video in the same condition it doesn't have that noise.

I can take the same picture with my passport and it will look clear, and I can use the flash 100 times over and never get the white out issue.

Unless you're all getting this issue, Looks to me like it's a defective camera module.

Ironically, since snapchat takes a Screenshot instead of an actual picture, photos are coming out better using that.. (kidding it's still garbage)

Posted via CB10
    02-20-17 03:11 PM
    There is also a limit as to how close the camera will focus. You may be trying to get too close. The part you want in focus may not be, but something in the image may be far enough away from the lens to achieve focus.
    02-20-17 03:25 PM
    I'm not sure you're understanding this. The picture always comes out fuzzy EVEN though in the viewfinder it is clear. Only once recorded it is noisy.
    When I take a video in the same condition it doesn't have that noise.

I can take the same picture with my passport and it will look clear, and I can use the flash 100 times over and never get the white out issue.

Unless you're all getting this issue, Looks to me like it's a defective camera module.

Ironically, since snapchat takes a Screenshot instead of an actual picture, photos are coming out better using that.. (kidding it's still garbage)

Posted via CB10
    Are you choosing the area you want in focus by touching the screen? Honestly, the image you posted doesn't look bad considering how close you are, the color, mainly white, which changes the exposure, underexposing it a bit, and the lighting.
    02-20-17 03:26 PM
    Here is an image of a white cord used to replicate yours. Now, I did choose the focus point, but it is rather dim and noisy. Because it is all white, the exposure is about 1 stop low, causing it to be underexposed, it is too dark. It is decently in focus though since I chose the area I wanted to be in focus.

fuzzy pictures with priv-img_20170220_1607523_copy-copy.jpg

Here is the same cable in better light, and I added +1 stop of exposure, an option you have at the bottom of the screen in the camera app.

fuzzy pictures with priv-img_20170220_1608505_copy.jpg
    FF22 likes this.
    02-20-17 03:49 PM
    Here is an image of a white cord used to replicate yours. Now, I did choose the focus point, but it is rather dim and noisy. Because it is all white, the exposure is about 1 stop low, causing it to be underexposed, it is too dark. It is decently in focus though since I chose the area I wanted to be in focus.

Name:	IMG_20170220_1607523_copy copy.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	171.2 KB 
ID:	417805

Here is the same cable in better light, and I added +1 stop of exposure, an option you have at the bottom of the screen in the camera app.

Name:	IMG_20170220_1608505_copy.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	227.2 KB 
ID:	417806
    I'll have to try again for the low light shots, but could you take the same cable in low light without the flash?

Also, none of this really does anything to resolve my whiteout issue. The picture with the flash is supposed to be the top of a coffee table, it's not as close as the earphone picture either, and it happens randomly and intermittently.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-17 04:21 PM
    I'll have to try again for the low light shots, but could you take the same cable in low light without the flash?

Also, none of this really does anything to resolve my whiteout issue. The picture with the flash is supposed to be the top of a coffee table, it's not as close as the earphone picture either, and it happens randomly and intermittently.

Posted via CB10
    That is no flash. Also, as I said, the camera is not able to focus much closer than that. There is a limitation, and you may have reached it. I will take some later as the light gets worse and post them.
    02-20-17 04:24 PM

Posted via CB10
    For the whiteout, are you sure you are not accidentally adding exposure by hitting the compensation dial? I am having trouble duplicating the whiteout. Something may be interfering with the sensor. Is it completely uncovered? Is there anything that might be interfering with it?
    02-20-17 04:29 PM
    I've been trying to get it to reproduce the issues today but so far so good.

I hadn't changed the settings either, but I'm good with it for now. Though someone else posted here that they have the whiteout issue as well.

Thanks for the input guys
    PHughes likes this.
    02-21-17 01:17 AM
    Chiming in here: have you experimented with the Auto mode vs the Manual mode settings? It is worth trying them out and practicing with the manual mode because the manual settings can be a little finicky, but you can get better shots with them. I also find that in outdoor shots especially if I am trying to capture a sunset, for example, the amount of light that floods the picture changes based on how I hold the divice. As for the flash, I do not use it much for what I do but for some cool shots in the low light I often use the flashlight mode. Lighting from a low light photo can be brightened with the tools after the picture is taken.
    02-21-17 02:55 AM
    My pictures are blurry with the latest camera software think it's dated October 2016. When I downgrade to the lower versions it's fine.

Try using a third party camera app like CameraMX. See if your pictures are clear with that app.
    02-21-17 06:25 AM
    So ive been trying it a little more, and its been coming out better. I did remove the rear cover and clean the lens and cover with some rubbing alcohol (hopefully I didn't destroy anything).
    Havent had to use the flash since then, so time will tell with respect to that.

I tried a different app, seems to be identical enough for me.
    Thanks for the input everyone
    02-22-17 02:20 PM
45 12