I'm on the fence right this nano-second ref the Priv. I have had a Z10 since launch, and lived thru the random re-boots, and all of the other OS10 growing pains associated with being an early Z10 user. My Z is still truckin', but it would certainly appear that it is nearing the end of its days. Feels like the sun is setting on it. I very much like(d) OS10.

My question:

SO... what EXACTLY makes the Priv on android so "priv", or secure? I guess I am still not clear on that. What is it that makes the priv running android so much more secure than, say, a Samsung galaxy running android?

I know this is a basic question, but still elusive to me. Isn't google still mining what it would normally mine from an android device. Why would a rogue app DLd to a galaxy be any less danger than one DLd to a priv?

I would appreciate a primer on this. Appreciate the responses in advance.
    11-11-15 12:40 PM
    BlackBerry used some hardened kernel on the Priv and that makes it more secure and less hack prone. You can read about it here:

How PRIV Sets the Bar for Android Privacy | Inside BlackBerry

And here:

PRIV is for Private: How BlackBerry Secures the Android Platform | Inside BlackBerry

On rogue apps, the Priv comes with DTEK and that actually tells you exactly what your apps are doing with what.

As for data mining, I don't know. If you don't use any Google Services, Microsoft Services and Apple Services at all, I suppose you'd be less prone to it. But something tells me you do and not just on your phone...
    11-11-15 01:04 PM
    thank you for these references, much appreciated.
    11-11-15 01:12 PM
    What is really going to put the priv onto the Priv are Good's own productivity and enterprise apps which are akin to what is available through Silent Circle and the BlackPhone 2.

And the of course, BES12.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-15 01:13 PM