there is one option in developer options as stop overlays....
    06-18-17 11:36 AM
    If you have clean sweep or an app like it, remove it. I tried all the other solutions but continued to have the same result. Those apps like cleansweep try to dominate your system and bump everything else.

I uninstalled it and went right back to the button that caused so much frustration......and it worked immediately.

30 second fix. Cheers!

Thanks so much
    It was driving me crazy all day try the other solutions offered none worked until I saw yours then I realised that my ES file explorer was almost managing my entire phone
    I had to delete my es file explorer and it stopped immediately
    Kinda miss my file manager now tho
    FF22 likes this.
    06-25-17 10:52 AM
    Thanks so much
    It was driving me crazy all day try the other solutions offered none worked until I saw yours then I realised that my ES file explorer was almost managing my entire phone
    Try File Manager by ASUS. Works fantastic on my PRIV. Good luck

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    06-25-17 11:17 AM
    all these while screen overlay troubled me and made me reboot my phone in safe mode to give permissions and then restart the phone again to be out of safe mode. its so super annoying!! I just noticed that this screen overlay problem no more exists in my phone and I am able to set permissions without having to go to safe mode. guess BlackBerry has attended to this in their last software update. better late than never!!
    07-12-17 03:52 AM
    Not a single information in this thread helped me until I found this YouTube video:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...ppahj82dwNq03w
    07-15-17 07:09 PM
    File explorer was the culprit on mine. Thanks for the thread.
    07-16-17 06:52 PM
    Thanks so much
    That's odd, I use ES File Explorer, and have no issues with the screen overlay function. I can disable it temporarily easily when necessary.
    07-16-17 10:07 PM
    * Got the solution *

Delete all the 3rd party explorer frm ur blackberry mobile.

I tried all stuff bt at last this was d successfully process.

So enjoy using the app.
    08-07-17 03:48 AM
    turn off productivity tab.
    08-07-17 09:14 AM
    I have several apps (Blackberry Messenger, Visual Voicemail and many others) that i can't turn permissions on because i keep getting a prompt saying "Screen Overlay Detected" When i go to the settings its not clear on whats going on. Any advice on a easy fix for this? thanks in advance.
    I think there is a problem with one of your app...
    I removed my "ES file explorer" app and the problem solved
    OriginalLucy likes this.
    09-02-17 12:57 AM
    Thanks to the person who suggested using "safe mode"

That is what I had to do, and it finally worked

Deeply frustrating problem. I've got the most recent Priv OS Android 6 something, it takes you right to the feature to temporarily turn off overlay for 2 minutes. But it didn't work. Would keep preventing me from modifying permissions, even after I went through one by one and made sure all my apps had overlay set to off!

In my case I was trying to upgrade the Productivity Tab permissions - that is ironic as it's an "overlay" feature. When I would turn off the overlay permission for 2 minutes then I couldn't get back to the productivity tab as it had disappeared due to no longer being able to overlay. Had to manually find the setting of permissions for it and even then it kept preventing me.

FYI if you've never tried "safe mode" remember to do it this way:

1. Hold power button -until poweroff/reset menu comes up
    2.HOLD the poweroff option until the SAFEMODE dialogue comes up

step 2 is important if you tap too fast it will just turn off regular mode and you'll have to wait through a whole reboot sequence before being able to try it again.

AFAIK to get out of safemode you must reboot once more.

-----
    This security feature (overlay detected) is a hacky workaround in the OS security.
    The disable overlay for 2 minutes button is a hacky workaround in the GUI.
    The safe mode option is a timewasting frustrated user workaround.

This should be fixed at the OS level cleanly and that means Android should be Opened up more to more simple Linux style open source fixes... This should not be such a difficult issue. If we had apps doing "one thing only, well" and more clean separation of the code at the lower levels this security could me managed a lot more rationally. Google, you can afford to fix this much better!

-----

PS upon further investigation when I uninstalled ES filemanager the problem went away.... hmm... that has some great features (sftp!) but sure is a lot more bloated and spammy app than it use to be.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 10-23-17 at 08:05 PM. Reason: update on the cause
    10-23-17 06:12 PM
    I am on Bell and I am having the same problem.
    12-26-17 03:53 PM
    I was having trouble following the video because BlackBerry looks a little different than Galaxy. I did down load the app Unlock Buttons and played with the Apps for awhile and all of a sudden it was fixed and allowed me to give permissions required. Very, very frustrating. I have been trying to fix it for 3 days. I also before this removed Blackberry Hub and reinstalled it. Don't know what worked, but it is fixed.
    12-26-17 04:16 PM
38 12