Today, I filed a formal complaint to the US Federal Trade Commission (FTC.gov) against AT&T Wireless about their failure to update the Priv in a timely manner and for the rash of misinformation that flows from their support personnel.

I suggest that others who have similar concerns and who are US residents, do the same. The more complaints they get the more likely they are to do something about it. As a minimum, it makes one feel better about the situation.

In my case, I bought the discounted AT&T carrier unlocked phone based on a chat message from support that said MM updates were forthcoming. That was false and so now I am stuck with the think. Had I been told the truth, I would have paid the $50 more for a factory unlocked unit.
    06-12-16 02:52 PM
    I also filed a complaint against verizon so now we need to get the other two filed against. It's ridiculous what we have to go through to make a difference.
    Sigewif, anon(9878325) and tigrute like this.
    06-12-16 03:10 PM
    Why bother to even going through this useless process? It would be simpler, time effective and cost effective to stop wasting money on a product your carrier refuses to support, or - which is the option I would certainly exercise - stop spending money with your carrier. Why should they continue to get your money, time, attention and anxiety, for a result that will never happen?
    06-12-16 04:43 PM
    Today, I filed a formal complaint to the US Federal Trade Commission (FTC.gov) against AT&T Wireless about their failure to update the Priv in a timely manner and for the rash of misinformation that flows from their support personnel.

I suggest that others who have similar concerns and who are US residents, do the same. The more complaints they get the more likely they are to do something about it. As a minimum, it makes one feel better about the situation.

In my case, I bought the discounted AT&T carrier unlocked phone based on a chat message from support that said MM updates were forthcoming. That was false and so now I am stuck with the think. Had I been told the truth, I would have paid the $50 more for a factory unlocked unit.
    Good luck with that.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-16 04:52 PM
    I feel as though you'd stand a better chance of rationally discussing the Priv's AT&T updates with Randall Stephenson, Verizon's updates with Lowell McAdam and/or T-Mobile's updates with John Legere in person and over a candle-lit dinner than you do getting any type of reaction/reply from the FTC, but ok... If it makes you feel better inside...

Posted via CB10
    06-12-16 05:03 PM
    I feel as though you'd stand a better chance of rationally discussing the Priv's AT&T updates with Randall Stephenson, Verizon's updates with Lowell McAdam and/or T-Mobile's updates with John Legere in person and over a candle-lit dinner than you do getting any type of reaction/reply from the FTC, but ok... If it makes you feel better inside...

Posted via CB10
    There's not much to do about American carriers without lighting people on fire.
    NightFire, Mecca EL, Norg and 1 others like this.
    06-12-16 05:04 PM
    Why bother to even going through this useless process? It would be simpler, time effective and cost effective to stop wasting money on a product your carrier refuses to support, or - which is the option I would certainly exercise - stop spending money with your carrier. Why should they continue to get your money, time, attention and anxiety, for a result that will never happen?
    Unfortunately seems like in the US a lot are being restricted by reception, especially those still relying on Verizon.

AT&T is only a tip of the iceberg when it comes to updates, EVERY carrier down there is guilty.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-12-16 05:12 PM
    They are under no obligation to release the MM update at all. FTC isnt going to do squat.
    06-12-16 07:11 PM
    The only thing that's helping us is blackberry is talking to the carriers to help get it pushed through. I talked to a BlackBerry rep and they put it out on thier news thing so maybe. I dunno
    06-12-16 07:22 PM
    When AT&T delayed updates for the Z10 I filed a complaint with the FCC. I got a letter from AT&T saying they had to respond to complaints . Their response was they were working on it and it still took months for the updates
    06-12-16 09:54 PM
    The only thing that's helping us is blackberry is talking to the carriers to help get it pushed through. I talked to a BlackBerry rep and they put it out on thier news thing so maybe. I dunno
    Yeah, Check is in the mail.
    andy957 likes this.
    06-12-16 11:23 PM
    As much as I am disappointed with the fact that at&t is dragging its heels on any updates (perhaps forgoing them altogether) I cannot deny the fact that my phone bill dropped. It's like they were paying me to take the phone on launch day. So, in that regard, I cannot complain too much. I have my ear enough to the ground to understand what was coming, to know I might have to wait. Just didn't realize it might happen so soon. Wish it was like the days when I could download something and install it. Such is life, I suppose.

Hoping they won't abandon users so soon, or if so, BlackBerry comes up with a solution. As a loyal customer, I hope for that...but will not hold my breath.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-12-16 11:56 PM
    South African carriers vodacom and cellc released mm in line with unlocked versions, I didnt realise the US has it so bad,
    06-13-16 12:52 AM
    No one should be surprised by this. People that use devices from OEM's that actually have some pull with carriers can't even get updates to happen in any reasonable amount of time. It took a year for Marshmallow to be released for the Galaxy S6, and I can tell you that Samsung has much more pull than Blackberry has with the Carriers. Blackberry is at the bottom of the rung as far as the carriers are concerned, and with AT&T barely selling this device I wouldn't be surprised if they ever release it.
    techvisor and Mecca EL like this.
    06-13-16 05:24 AM
    Point being carriers shouldn't even be a factor in the release process, for any manufacturer.
    Mecca EL and deadcowboy like this.
    06-13-16 05:44 AM
    Correct me if i am wrong, but once blackberry releases MM to AT&T branded Unlocked phones shouldn't any at&t phone be able to use the same OS locked or unlocked? its the same hardware. will we be able to use an autoloader like we did in the past with OS10

Could this be a way blackberry will get around having to go through the carriers.
    06-13-16 08:07 AM
    this is what i never understand, now it just doesn't make sense to get phones from carriers we all know the silly game they play get the phone for $50 pay a monthly fee and it never gets updated. I cant even remember the last time i got a carrier phone because its just not worth it in anyway heck ive been on prepaid for years now only to move along if im not happy with a service.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-13-16 08:20 AM
    Point being carriers shouldn't even be a factor in the release process, for any manufacturer.
    Excellent point. Shouldn't, but they are and there's nothing we can do about that. You can go around and around and around with this and it won't change a thing.
    JeepBB and Mecca EL like this.
    06-13-16 08:24 AM
    Unfortunately seems like in the US a lot are being restricted by reception, especially those still relying on Verizon.

AT&T is only a tip of the iceberg when it comes to updates, EVERY carrier down there is guilty.
    heck yes their main priority i selling phones "dont like your phone running lollipop update now to the new flagship phone running mm" thats all they are about my advise to people is dont get phones from your carrier they dont care about updates or what you think about them running their business.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-13-16 08:25 AM
    Excellent point. Shouldn't, but they are and there's nothing we can do about that. You can go around and around and around with this and it won't change a thing.
    why is this ? how is apple able to update all their phones at the same time no matter the carrier as others its an impossibility
    06-13-16 08:27 AM
    why is this ? how is apple able to update all their phones at the same time no matter the carrier as others its an impossibility
    Apple made a sweet deal eons ago because the carriers were desperate to get the iPhone, and were willing to do anything to get it.

No manufacture has done it since. Unless you buy from the factory, like ShopBlackberry or Google Nexus, you are a slave to the carrier update cycle.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-13-16 08:31 AM
    iOS still goes thru certification process on carriers but its probably much quicker and more behind the scenes
    06-13-16 08:43 AM
    Can I ask AT&T folk here whether a June 2016 security patch has been issued?

Because mine says May, and I'm not sure if there's just something wrong with OTA from my device's end, or if AT&T is now withholding security patch updates, the latter of which might be a better case to present to the FTC and the FTC.

It is a security concern after all.

Formal complaint to US Federal Trade Commission about AT&T failure to update Privs-53639.jpg

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-13-16 08:48 AM
    I've seen no June patch available to my AT&T Priv.
    06-13-16 09:07 AM
    heck yes their main priority i selling phones "dont like your phone running lollipop update now to the new flagship phone running mm" thats all they are about my advise to people is dont get phones from your carrier they dont care about updates or what you think about them running their business.
    That's all well and good for those on GSM devices. For those who have carriers that use CDMA, it's not an option, and the carrier in the US with the best coverage is Verizon. A CDMA carrier.
    dan99x99 likes this.
    06-13-16 10:25 AM
51 123