Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    I do not plan to buy a case or holster for my new PRIV.
    Since I always forget to lock the screen before putting to to my pocket, many times I see the icons on my home screen were moved or even missing.

What can I do? Maybe I really have to buy a case for it.
    08-21-16 09:30 AM
    Since I always forget to lock the screen before putting to to my pocket, many times I see the icons on my home screen were moved or even missing.

Would recommend buying a case. I've got a holster (like the BlackBerrys of old), and it works nicely, turning off the screen when I slip in the phone.
    08-21-16 09:32 AM

I had this experience yesterday and its not how it should be.

Here is my scenario, I press power button, black screen, into pocket. Walk around, check phone to take picture and all of my apps and settings disappeared and it was into the BlackBerry help app showing the tour! I freaked out until I realized it was a guest account.

Anyway my moto g4 never has shown the behavior. Maybe the double tap to wake is the issue?
    08-21-16 09:34 AM
    It requires a little change in behavior but on your home screen, just add a shortcut to "Lock Screen".

You can do that by:

- clicking the app tray button (just above the round home button at the bottom on the home screen)

- swiping left twice (past Widgets to Shortcuts)

- pressing and holding the "Lock Screen" shortcut to be able to drag and place it anywhere on the screen

The change in habit from there is that whenever you're done using your phone for a bit, just tap that shortcut instead of the power button and rest easy knowing that the screen isn't lit up causing havoc. This, however, is an effective solution assuming you've got a password set.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-21-16 12:06 PM
    It requires a little change in behavior but on your home screen, just add a shortcut to "Lock Screen".

You can do that by:

- clicking the app tray button (just above the round home button at the bottom on the home screen)

- pressing and holding the "Lock Screen" shortcut to be able to drag and place it anywhere on the screen

The change in habit from there is that whenever you're done using your phone for a bit, just tap that shortcut instead of the power button and rest easy knowing that the screen isn't lit up causing havoc. This, however, is an effective solution assuming you've got a password set.

Thank you, great idea and will definitely put the shortcut on my screen.

if I do this it will require the password even though I'm in a location that is setup as a smart lock location, I wonder what the difference is between this and the moto g4 which when I press the power button it blacks the screen but has never woke up when in the pocket.
    08-21-16 12:22 PM

You can do that by:

Question: If it awakens in the pocket with a password required, would its moving around the pocket potentially enter the wrong password X number of times leading the Priv to want to wipe it? Yes, You should have to enter BLACKBERRY but....
    08-21-16 01:16 PM
    Thank you, great idea and will definitely put the shortcut on my screen.

if I do this it will require the password even though I'm in a location that is setup as a smart lock location, I wonder what the difference is between this and the moto g4 which when I press the power button it blacks the screen but has never woke up when in the pocket.
    Pressing the power button on the PRIV and the G4 should have the same behavior: screen shuts off without actually locking the device, unless you specifically tell it to do that in the Security settings.

I suggested what I did above only because your device seems to be extra vulnerable to touches and wakes up. Normally the power button press should be enough to prevent unintended activity. That used to happen to me with the Z10 and the Passport and now rarely with the PRIV, so I'm just assuming it's something with my thighs. :P I figure it's better to password lock than end up texting everyone and their mother.

jfalkingham likes this.
    08-21-16 01:38 PM
    Question: If it awakens in the pocket with a password required, would its moving around the pocket potentially enter the wrong password X number of times leading the Priv to want to wipe it? Yes, You should have to enter BLACKBERRY but....
    If you lock it, then a double tap / power button press will first get you to the lock screen (time, notifications, etc). If then there's a double tap on a particular notification or a swipe up, both of which aren't that likely I think, then you'd get the PIN / password unlock screen. You could go accidently till 5 tries and then like you correctly said, you'd have to type "blackberry" before proceeding. The likelihood of wiping the phone is near impossible. It would take a lot to even get to the 5 tries and at worst, you'll get a moment of panic before realizing nothing happened. Heh

08-21-16 01:44 PM
    Pressing the power button on the PRIV and the G4 should have the same behavior: screen shuts off without actually locking the device, unless you specifically tell it to do that in the Security settings.

I suggested what I did above only because your device seems to be extra vulnerable to touches and wakes up. Normally the power button press should be enough to prevent unintended activity. That used to happen to me with the Z10 and the Passport and now rarely with the PRIV, so I'm just assuming it's something with my thighs. I figure it's better to password lock than end up texting everyone and their mother.

It was by itself in a side pocket of cargo shorts, so nuttin' but my leg touching it. Come to think of it they are swimshorts, with the web liner. Maybe my skin did double tap it to wake or something like that. More testing to be done!
    tvst28 likes this.
    08-21-16 03:21 PM
    I never used it so I can't say if it works, but how about pocket lock I found on the play store? There may be others.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...cketLock&hl=en
    08-21-16 05:41 PM
    I never used it so I can't say if it works, but how about pocket lock I found on the play store?
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...cketLock&hl=en
    I just installed this app and it seems to work. The screen locks automatically when I put the phone in my pocket.
    As discussed earlier in this post, the problem is every time I take out the phone (or flip the phone face up), I have to enter the unlock pin.
    Last edited by mis3; 08-21-16 at 06:35 PM.
    08-21-16 06:13 PM
    I just installed this app and it seems to work. The screen locks automatically when I put the phone in my pocket.
    As discussed earlier in this post, the problem is every time I take out the phone (or flip the phone face up), I have to enter the unlock pin.
    How about using something from this thread? Use proximity sensor to disable screen while in pocket | Android Forums

Or this one... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1507131
    08-22-16 08:42 AM