The reaction to the potential name for the new BlackBerry slider reminds me of 2006 when Nintendo at E3 revealed the name of their new console was the Wii.

For those that don't want to read this lengthy post, the point I will be trying to make is that if the product ends up being decent and people like it, in the end the name really doesn't matter that much.

Here's why I think this:
    - I loved videogames growing up and especially loved Nintendo.
    - They were on a roll when I was a kid and the NES and Super NES were the most popular consoles of their respective generations.
    - However, the sales of their next two consoles (i.e N64 and Gamecube) did relatively poor sales wise when you compare it to their competition at the time, PS1 and PS2. Both Playstations sold over 100 millions units while N64 sold around 30 million and the Gamecube did even worse at around 20 million. Most people figured Nintendo's next console would do even worse and get beat by Sony and Microsoft again.
    - In 2006, new consoles were set to be launched by the Big 3: Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony.
    - Nintendo's console was codenamed Revolution during development and it wasn't until E3 2006 that Nintendo announced the final name was going to be Wii.
    - The reaction back then to the name reveal was similar to the reaction now for the slider. The majority of people hated the new name of Nintendo's next console. Most figured that sales would be poor just from the name alone and that Nintendo was finished as a hardware company and that they would go the way of Sega and forced to become a software only company.
    - However, the exact opposite happened. Because of the console's uniqueness and broad appeal, it actually beat both the Xbox360 and PS3 in total units sold for that generation.

Even though there are some eerie similarities between Nintendo and Sony in consoles at the time to BlackBerry and Apple now in phones, I mention the above story only to prove that if people end up liking a product, the name and initial reaction to it is irrelevant. People will get used to a product's name as long as they enjoy the product.

So for those who are despairing about the name ruining BlackBerry's chances of selling the device, don't. If the product is good people will still buy it.

(Side note: I'm not defending the new name. I just think that the seemingly overwhelming negative reaction is much ado about nothing, but everyone is entitled to their opinions. Also, I think it's hard to fully judge the name until we know why BlackBerry chose it.)
    mago72 and rally5464 like this.
    09-24-15 07:24 AM
    I guess the counter argument is that it's easy to say "Wii", but I have no idea how to say "Priv"...

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 07:48 AM
    Your point is moot imo. Nintendo can/could afford to get away with something like that. BlackBerry not so much.

Posted via CB10
    00stryder likes this.
    09-24-15 08:08 AM
    And... will the priv, eewww, be as differentiated from other androids as the wii was from its rivals?

The wii had an entirely new controller concept. The priv, gag, has a touch sensitive keyboard.

Maybe.

But I'll just call it the BlackBerry slider.

In the end, if the name doesn't matter, they could just as easily choose a name that doesn't suck. Right?

Posted via CB10
    AcADIeN and 00stryder like this.
    09-24-15 08:47 AM
    Wii is easy to pronounce. Priv is a head scratcher. Is it short for Privacy? Or Privvy? How do we pronounce it? I'll just call it the Venice.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 08:51 AM
    Your point is moot imo. Nintendo can/could afford to get away with something like that. BlackBerry not so much.

Posted via CB10
    Nintendo only needed people to try their device and they had a healthy group of gamers new and old. They didn't need to develop a culture around their new,system. To gain mass appeal BlackBerry needs to build culture around its devices. Device names help build that culture. Apple and Samsung have numeric conventions because they have already built that culture surrounding their devices. And the name indicates the next and improved iteration of the same.

As much as BlackBerry lovers want BlackBerry to develop and put out a mother of all phones device and take the market by storm, it's not going to happen. But to attack the consumer market BlackBerry needs to carefully pick the devices it markets to build a solid and growing culture of users. It also needs to leverage it's software business as a plus to non enterprise users; a point of differentiation between other devices.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 10:06 AM
    now they added U in wii.. where are they now? xD

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-24-15 10:09 AM
    I guess the counter argument is that it's easy to say "Wii", but I have no idea how to say "Priv"...
    I suppose that, while Wii is pronounced as [wi:], Priv is pronounced as [praiv].

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 10:28 AM
    now they added U in wii.. where are they now? xD
    Wii implied ours whereas Wii U implies yours according to various reports in magazines and elsewhere.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 10:33 AM