I guess I'm one of the last individuals to still hold on to my trusty Motorola Droid 4, solely due to it's fantastic PKB Android experience not limited to just typing. You know, it includes assignable shortcuts to any key to launch apps, slide open the phone, start typing, press enter and boom you have your google search results available without having to ever touch the screen, use Enter as your camera shutter button and even some games support keyboard input!

I have been an Android user since October 2012 and Droid 4 is my first and so far the only Android phone that I've used as my daily driver (almost 3 years together...). Droid 4 has been pretty much hardware-obsolete since it's release day so you can imagine that it's a struggle to keep it usable nowadays. It may sound awful but this nearly 4 year old Verizon-exclusive device is in fact the best specced PKB Android phone that us PKB lovers have currently available! At least you can import an unlocked one and use it outside of the US. I've just replaced the battery for the 2nd time, just to keep it alive. All that hassle for the QWERTY Android experience.

So I'm almost sure Blackberry 'Venice' is going to be the next phone of mine. It's what I've been waiting for and hoping to see reach the market since the brief prototype images of the never-released Motorola Droid 5 surfaced online over 2 years ago...

All the leaks and unofficial info available now on the Venice clearly show that it is going to finally bring something different to the current Android device market. Something that at least us, Android PKB enthusiasts have been waiting for for so long. A new flagship PKB Android, woohoo! Surprisingly it's Blackberry that's making it a reality.

Venice is unlike all the current android devices. It's a Blackberry, to start with! Maybe it's just my taste but it's the different that excites me. Mind you, the Maemo-powered Nokia N900 was my previous device. And it was the best 'phone' I've ever had. Best in class for multitasking.
    QWERTY PKB, 32GB build-in memory + microSD up to 32GB in 2009? Yup. And Infrared, FM transmitter, cool kickstand, fully customizable, great open-source OS, 800x480 screen res? Oh yes, all of that 6 years ago...

And now here we are. It's almost 2016 and over the last couple of years I feel that we had little to no innovation in the smartphone market.
    Ever since the rumours on Blackberry Passport started, it brought a feeling of hope that PKB smartphones are not dead just yet. I was on the verge of switching over to BB10 for the sake of Passport even solely because of how great it felt to hold and use. It was finally something different. But it was the app-gap and the absence of the native Google services integration that held me back. Exactly the same thing that I was missing on the Nokia N900.

And I had huge hopes for Jolla's first phone. But it sadly ended up not having a native PKB and design-wise turned out to be just another bar form factor smartphone. Sailfish OS as great as it is, has similar limitations app-wise etc.

So bring it on Blackberry, stir things up with the Venice! You have me on board right from the start! And thank you for keeping the physical keyboard alive.

Am I in a total minority on this? I'm believe there is much more of us PKB people out there!
    09-18-15 07:21 AM
    Welcome back! I've never left pkb devices except for a very short stint with the iphone 5.

I think the Venice is at least be kindly successful

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 07:23 AM
    I live in Germany and the Droid 3 was US Verizon only. I imported about 5 of them. I am as happy as you are that we'll finally after so many years get a great slider with great hardware specs and unreached BlackBerry productivity software

Posted via CB10
    sully_p, nonamenomore and ayngling like this.
    09-18-15 10:59 AM
    I had a DROID 4 for two years until the charging port broke and it didn't seem worth fixing because it had become so unbearably slow. So I switched to a Galaxy S5 and waited for a physical keyboard device to come out. The Venice will be my next phone.

OP, how is your Droid 4 running? Is it super laggy like mine was?
    guygardner73 likes this.
    09-19-15 01:49 AM
    I had a DROID 4 for two years until the charging port broke and it didn't seem worth fixing because it had become so unbearably slow. So I switched to a Galaxy S5 and waited for a physical keyboard device to come out. The Venice will be my next phone.

OP, how is your Droid 4 running? Is it super laggy like mine was?
    Unfortunately yes, Droid 4 is super laggy for me but oddly enough I got used to it throughout the 3 years with it!
    I'm running Cyanogenmod 11 (Android 4.4.4) so at least I'm able to customize the background apps number etc. to make it 'usable'.
    The Blackberry Venice can't come out any sooner!
    09-19-15 05:25 AM
    You would have been happy with a passport lol.
    nonamenomore and guygardner73 like this.
    09-19-15 10:20 AM
    I still have my droid 4. It is super laggy but it should be given the age and how much I have on it. But I will hold onto it until another good QWERTY keyboard comes out, unfortunately I need the slide action to be the other way. There are a lot of people that tell me they wish they had a keyboard on their phone, but from a cost standpoint and trade-off for many I get it. Keyboards add significant cost and limit the size of the battery. The problem was Apple continued to dominate. Just like Steve Jobs said no one wants a stylus, Apple is now eating his words. He also said no one wants a keyboard. Hopefully other companies wake up to find out there are actually a sizeable portion of people that would if it was actually a decent phone. Hopefully the Venice is.
    guygardner73 likes this.
    10-14-15 05:57 PM
    Welcome back everyone! I hope we all enjoy Priv by BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 05:58 PM
    Still not landscape, which is what is needed by the vast majority of people who are not PKB fans.
    10-14-15 06:06 PM
    Still not landscape, which is what is needed by the vast majority of people who are not PKB fans.
    I tried the Galaxy Relay as an alternative plan to my Pre. It was meh.
    10-14-15 06:16 PM
    I was so desperate for an android phone with physical keys that I bought the NEC terrain.. And that phone was horrible. It was running ICS and only 700mb of available space.

Go priv!

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
    10-14-15 09:28 PM
    I refuse to get a phone without a keyboard. Briefly tried an early all-touch BB (Torch 9850), and didn't like it. Later was issued an iPhone, and disliked it.

QWERTY keyboard FTW!
    DolemiteDONS and nonamenomore like this.
    10-14-15 09:30 PM
    I'm just so glad to return to the slider, really miss that form factor from my Pre 3. Classic's good too but the slider is really best of both worlds. I don't give a crap about phone thickness.

I will support the Priv because I don't want keyboard phones to die, especially good ones.
    tp2386, nonamenomore and MO3iusONE like this.
    10-14-15 09:36 PM
    I'm just so glad to return to the slider, really miss that form factor from my Pre 3. Classic's good too but the slider is really best of both worlds. I don't give a crap about phone thickness.

I will support the Priv because I don't want keyboard phones to die, especially good ones.
    Thickness is a non-issue for me as well. I have a hard shell inside the flip case, and I hold the phone while it's folded over... it's probably 1.7 or 1.8cm thick, no drama here...

Passport naked feels nice, but vulnerable... :-)

  Ahoy, Privateers...! :-)  
    10-14-15 11:04 PM
    Flagship QWERTY Android? Finally!-img_20150509_150358340.jpg

Flagship QWERTY Android? Finally!-img_20150509_150410594.jpg
    :-D

MO3iusONE likes this.
    10-14-15 11:05 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150509_150358340.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	375853

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150509_150410594.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	375854
    :-D

Dat passport sure is one sexy phone.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
    10-14-15 11:46 PM
    As much as I love the landscape pkb of my Droid 4, I realized that typing on a portrait pkb is actually much faster than on the landscape one.

Basically the thumb 'travel' time between the keys is much smaller in portrait, so in that regard I believe PRIV is going to perform great! Can't wait to lay my thumbs on it!
    10-15-15 04:06 AM