Except they gave us no information we didn't already have.

This wasn't a review, I do not believe they have the device for a second.

Posted via CB10
    This review gave us pictures from the actual phone. The EXIF info could be faked, but it seems to check out.
    10-11-15 09:18 AM
    Uh, only 22 out of the 32 gigs are available to the user!?!?! I don't remember the Android OS being that bloated. Is the rest of the restricted space dedicated to security software?

It is good to know that the vkb sounds as if it will be the BB10 keyboard we now already use.

Yeah looks like they didn't allow to talk about hub
    Why not? It is one of the features that separates the Priv from the rest of the flock.

The review has been made by a "regular" newspaper so not a tech portal, I don't know what you're expecting at this point.
    For someone to actually go "hands on"? The article opens with "Canadian pioneer opens up for Google's OS but stays true to its core customers", yet mentions nothing the core audience is wanting to hear. Camera quality is not tops on the list of most important features for most of us and a pkb does not appeal to all faithful.

This review concludes with the fact once again that this phone is meant for a specific audience (business) and not a broad audience (general public, typical); which has been mentioned time and time again yet the majority on here still seem to treat this phone as if it were a true consumer's device. Yet those aspects that would appeal to the business world are also typical of what attracts BB10 to the diehards in general.

Maybe he's a disgruntled BB10 fanboy. Quite a number of them out there trying in vain to discredit the Priv.

*C5303
    Not trying to discredit, just wanting more info that would appeal to BB10 diehards; the Hub is the obvious one. How well it "flows" through productivity is another.

The very few preliminary "reviews" we have had so far are typical for the Android crowd--spending lots of space talking about the specs, bundled Google apps, and the camera.

I am really surprised that none of the reviews mentions hub, shows how it works, or describes in depth other BlackBerry specific functions, except for Protect.
    Are those not planned or still in development and therefore not installed?
    On the other side, first photos which caused me to say, wow this is good looking phone. The weave back looks great!
    If BlackBerry makes change of OS to BB10 possible (highly unlikely in my opinion) I would buy one.

Posted via CB10
    A typical Android user would not think to check this stuff out considering there is very little fragmentation across the major brands.
    10-11-15 09:18 AM
    I hope this doesn't make it to production:

http://i.imgur.com/Qrqbyr1.jpg
    Why not? It's nice to have shift and sym keys...

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    10-11-15 09:19 AM

What's that? :can't watch:
    10-11-15 09:20 AM
    Why not? It's nice to have shift and sym keys...

The keys are crooked, looking like they will fall out.
    10-11-15 09:24 AM

The shift is shifted, and the alt seems to be altered. That's by design.
    10-11-15 09:24 AM
    I think he's talking about the keys looking to be tilted compared to the other ones.
    10-11-15 09:25 AM
    And guys, STOP ASKING ABOUT THE DAMN HUB IN LEAKS!

Nobody is going to show it to you. The hub is likely set up with the field engineer's own accounts, showing it either you would have to black out the whole thing to the point where you can't see s**t, or someone is losing their job for leaking.
    Because it would take more than 10 minutes to create and add new Gmail, twitter, etc accounts while deleting the user's own accounts?

It deosnt make sense that it isn't shown. Either it's not ready or the leaks have been controlled by BlackBerry and BlackBerry is saving it.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-15 09:25 AM
    Because it would take more than 10 minutes to create and add new Gmail, twitter, etc accounts while deleting the user's own accounts?

It deosnt make sense that it isn't shown. Either it's not ready or the leaks have been controlled by BlackBerry and BlackBerry is saving it.

Posted via CB10
    Gee, I don't know, I just met you on the street and I'll let you configure my phone?
    00stryder and Xaiux like this.
    10-11-15 09:27 AM
    1. Thanks for sharing!
    2. Great battery life!
    3. BlackBerry virtual keyboard is going to be there!
    4. Camera low light function still needs optimization
    5. Light skin on pure Android! Great.
    6. Lags... needs optimization
    7. Tough for one hand use... I guess this is a phablet.
    8. No word on HUB? Probably because the reviewer has never used HUB before and didn't look into it
    9. Notification on the curve not working yet
    10. Audio/volume is decent.
    11. BlackBerry contact app is there!

Don't like the lag and don't like the low light camera performance... but both can be fixed by software... just don't know how good Android talents in BlackBerry are.

I hope BlackBerry Remember app is there too.

Superb review of the review ! I thought the optics were superb, incl the depth of field in his selfie. His summary was a bit incongruous though, as though written by a third party. The fact that pre-production models are being evaluated as the release models (and I assume this is the first of many) makes it even more imperative for BB to announce and advertise soonest.
    10-11-15 09:31 AM
    Gee, I don't know, I just met you on the street and I'll let you configure my phone?
    Which of these hands on leaks was done in an "I just met you on the street" fashion?

None.

Posted via CB10
    howarmat likes this.
    10-11-15 09:34 AM
    Which of these hands on leaks was done in an "I just met you on the street" fashion?

None.

Posted via CB10
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/com...h_the_priv_my/

And I am not surprised if these phones are hooked up to BlackBerry's own BES servers. They would probably see someone configuring the device.
    10-11-15 09:35 AM
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/com...h_the_priv_my/

And I am not surprised if these phones are hooked up to BlackBerry's own BES servers. They would probably see someone configuring the device.
    I'll give you that one but your just speculating about the rest. Gmail twitter and others wouldn't run through BES.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-15 09:38 AM
    I'll give you that one but your just speculating about the rest. Gmail twitter and others wouldn't run through BES.

Posted via CB10
    I'm sure if it can be done it's already done. There has to be some sort of tracking on these prototype devices. If the anti-theft features cannot track abnormal usage like this, it's useless.
    10-11-15 09:43 AM
    Superb review of the review ! I thought the optics were superb, incl the depth of field in his selfie. His summary was a bit incongruous though, as though written by a third party. The fact that pre-production models are being evaluated as the release models (and I assume this is the first of many) makes it even more imperative for BB to announce and advertise soonest.
    The depth of field (lots of it) in the selfie camera is a indication of a crap camera+lens combo, not a good one. The rear camera is A LOT better, as you can see by a thinner depth of field... If you go to a professional cameras like a full frame or a medium format DSLR, you see incredible shallow depth of field.

Good lenses have big aperture, wich decreases depth of field, and the bigger the sensor, better the camera is, and even shallower depth of field. Slefie cameras have almost infinite depth of field because it's a tiny sensor... wich is crap.

Look at this article, look how the DSLR has a much thiner depth of field. They have the same lens aperture, but the bigger sensor makes to that "effect"
    How does the iPhone hold up against a serious camera? | The Verge
    JGoodard and anon4226395 like this.
    10-11-15 09:43 AM
    "...expected to launch early 2016."

Awww...

*C5303
    I hope he's super wrong with this!

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
    10-11-15 09:46 AM
    I'm sure if it can be done it's already done. There has to be some sort of tracking on these prototype devices. If the anti-theft features cannot track abnormal usage like this, it's useless.
    Or, the leaks have been controlled leaks.

Or, the hub isn't working properly yet.

Or, the hub isn't installed on these devices yet.

Or ______________.

There are many possibilities, which is why it was wrong for you to say that people should stop asking about it.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-15 09:46 AM
    Why are people so negative? Someone posts a hands on/review on this phone and people get mad because the Hub isn't mentioned or the guy didn't record a video of it? It sounds like English isn't his first language so no big deal on how he wrote this.

It's like that one video that was posted on YouTube about the Priv and someone had commented "you didn't show the hub, what a complete waste of time!"

I'm just looking forward to this phone. Can't wait.

10-11-15 09:56 AM
    System notifications in hub, possibly:

Though I'm not sure why 3DMark would fire a notification.
    10-11-15 09:57 AM
    The depth of field (lots of it) in the selfie camera is a indication of a crap camera+lens combo, not a good one. The rear camera is A LOT better, as you can see by a thinner depth of field... If you go to a professional cameras like a full frame or a medium format DSLR, you see incredible shallow depth of field.

Good lenses have big aperture, wich decreases depth of field, and the bigger the sensor, better the camera is, and even shallower depth of field. Slefie cameras have almost infinite depth of field because it's a tiny sensor... wich is crap.

Look at this article, look how the DSLR has a much thiner depth of field. They have the same lens aperture, but the bigger sensor makes to that "effect"
    How does the iPhone hold up against a serious camera? | The Verge
    Thanks for the explanation (and the illuminating reference). I guess for me, I'm very interested in the optics not least as a sales pitch. For a lot of people, myself included, the image quality, in this era of instagram, snapchat etc etc., good otics will help drive sales towards the average user rather than the prosumers. I don't think the average user is overly concerned about security; they do want their cell phone to be their "point and shoot" but I actually believe the keyboard will be the thing that will bring a lot of people back.
    10-11-15 10:00 AM
    Thanks for the explanation (and the illuminating reference). I guess for me, I'm very interested in the optics not least as a sales pitch. For a lot of people, myself included, the image quality, in this era of instagram, snapchat etc etc., good otics will help drive sales towards the average user rather than the prosumers. I don't think the average user is overly concerned about security; they do want their cell phone to be their "point and shoot" but I actually believe the keyboard will be the thing that will bring a lot of people back.
    Camera indeed is very important do doubt, but you still can't buy the consumer with a camera. The Lumia 1020 (2,5 year old phone) still has the best camera of any smartphone today, but they didn't sell that much.
    10-11-15 10:05 AM
    Why are people so negative? Someone posts a hands on/review on this phone and people get mad because the Hub isn't mentioned or the guy didn't record a video of it? It sounds like English isn't his first language so no big deal on how he wrote this.

It's like that one video that was posted on YouTube about the Priv and someone had commented "you didn't show the hub, what a complete waste of time!"

Some people are just plain dumb... They just think that everybody in the world knows what the hell the "hub" is. The guy that did the review probabiliy never touched a Blackberry phone before.
    10-11-15 10:10 AM

Because from a BlackBerry/BB10 perspective these "hands-on" write ups have yet to mention anything that any of us want to know yet spend time talking about the stuff we don't want to hear (it's "pure" Android). Why that is difficult for some of you to understand boggles my mind. Then again, aren't you an Android fan to begin with? These sorts of "reviews" to you must be normal.

Yeah, yeah, this is in the Android forum on CrackBerry, I know. Still doesn't change the fact that the Hub is a very big deal to everyone on here. Well, not if you are one of those Android bozos to begin with, then you probably don't care as much about it because it is not "Google".
    10-11-15 10:15 AM
    Because from a BlackBerry/BB10 perspective these "hands-on" write ups have yet to mention anything that any of us want to know yet spend time talking about the stuff we don't want to hear (it's "pure" Android). Why that is difficult for some of you to understand boggles my mind. Then again, aren't you an Android fan to begin with? These sorts of "reviews" to you must be normal.

Yeah, yeah, this is in the Android forum on CrackBerry, I know. Still doesn't change the fact that the Hub is a very big deal to everyone on here. Well, not if you are one of those Android bozos to begin with, then you probably don't care as much about it because it is not "Google".
    Cool... but the review wasn't made by anyone from crackberry, it was made by a ramdom guy that probabily never touched a Blackberry device, and has no idea what the hub is or that it even exists. He didn't show pretty much anything software side, it's not like he did a deep insight reveiw of everything but didn't show the hub...

You guys should calm down, because the hub is just the hub, it agregates messages and notifications from other apps, so how different you expect android hub to be? do you expect it to print beer? I'm expecting Android Hub to just do what it does, gather notifications and messages in 1 place, it's the same Blackberry that did BB10 hub developing it, not other company.

So it should be as good, if not better.
    DolemiteDONS and 00stryder like this.
    10-11-15 10:22 AM
    Cool... but the review wasn't made by anyone from crackberry, it was made by a ramdom guy that probabily never touched a Blackberry device, and has no idea what the hub is or that it even exists. He didn't show pretty much anything software side, it's not like he did a deep insight reveiw of everything but didn't show the hub...

You guys should calm down, because the hub is just the hub, it agregates messages and notifications from other apps, so how different you expect android hub to be? do you expect it to print beer? I'm expecting Android Hub to just do what it does, gather notifications and messages in 1 place, it's the same Blackberry that did BB10 hub developing it, not other company.

So it should be as good, if not better.
    Some are more concerned about the gesture access, i.e. swipe from bottom and Peek. I'm almost certain that's gone if they are integrating that into the home button.
    10-11-15 10:25 AM
284 12345 ...