Okay, so I did not buy a Priv. I did however swing by the local AT&T store to check one out. Before you discount this OP, keep one thing in mind; regarding Android enthusiasm, on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the most excited about it, I fall in around a 3. I actually like the concept of Android and dig the AOSP, so my main gripes are with Google and what they have done with it. With that in mind...

...my initial impression is that the phone is smaller than I had imagined it would be. It is smaller than the iPhone 6S+, which I knew, but somehow seeing it in person I was relieved. The screen looks nice but a little off. Hard to describe but the edges seem like a kind of no-mans land in terms of real estate. I mean, the edges don't seem to look like they have any real functionality other than just being there. The Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge screen looks more polished by comparison. I know I will get flamed for that comment, but it is true.

The productivity "edge" looks cool but there was no info to display. The way I thought about it was that it was akin to Peak, but on the right-hand side. It looks like a quick-glance notification center, but for all of your "important" stuff only.

The speaker grill looks cheap. No other way to describe it; it looks like plastic. It just does not look like a $700 USD phone. I am sure the materials are durable, but to some aesthetics matter. Comparing it against the S6 Edge, the Priv does not look like a $700 flagship device. Even on its own it does not. It just lacks that sophistication and sleekness of high-end devices.

Another surprise is that the Priv is light. It is way lighter than the Z30 and way lighter than you would think it would be based on its size. Call me crazy but I think it might even be lighter than my Z10. It does feel good in hand, though. However I should mention that I am a tall dude with big 'ol man hands. It did not feel top heavy at all; the weight distribution is perfect in my opinion.

The slider mechanism felt good and solid: not too stiff but not to loose. The "thumb ridge" didn't feel annoying at all. The pkb reminds me a lot of the Classic. I didn't take any pictures.

The OS felt good and responsive. Not at all buggy like some are saying. The Hub is actually pretty cool, even from the hobbled experience I was able to have with it. I can definitely see the potential of it besting the Hub on BB10. The swipe-up-to-right takes you right to it but I did catch myself swiping left many times. No dice.

The back-button triangle works well. I can definitely see how some Android fanatics swear by it as much as we swear by Flow. I still found myself trying to swipe this way and that but I can see getting to used to the back button rather quickly.

I could not get any of the "3D" pop up/peek widgets to work.

Played around with settings a little; you get a heckofalot more control over the phone than on BB10 any day of the week and even more so than on previous builds of Android. I'm not just talking about themes, or whatever, but with things like disabling an app's ability to target you with ads. Funny coming from a "Google" Android, but it was there. No bedside mode but there is a clock that when activated works just like the clock on BB10. Not the same, I know, but I wouldn't be surprised if a bedside mode magically appeared here one day.

I have to say that "vanilla" Android is way better without TouchWiz, LGs UI, Moto's UI, and so on. BlackBerry's touches are at a minimal with this build and that's not bad. I think they did the right thing by going vanilla but I do hope to see a more stylistic approach in the future.

Ultimately, the phone does not look like a $700 USD handset. It just doesn't. Flame me all you want but wait until you see one in person, too, then you will understand what I am talking about even if you don't agree. The OS and overall experience seem solid, though, and I have to say that I am impressed here. Never thought I would say that about a "Google" Android phone. Seriously, check out my posting history: I was one of the BB10 diehards who swore up and down to leave BB without question if they went Android (back when all of this was still a rumor, mind you). And now here I am.

Of course I would still block and disable all of the Google stuff as much as possible if I did get the phone, and yet with that, I am sold. After hogging the Priv in store for a solid 1/2 hour, I can say that I definitely want one. Despite being vanilla Android the Priv definitely feels like a BlackBerry handset. Oddly, it is almost the BB10 we've all wanted all along I feel, but of course, with all the Google stuff tossed in. I say that because BBs influences on the phone/OS are apparent and familiar--you will feel at home, and that for who can recall back when Android launched that it looked like an exact combination of BBOS and iPhone OS (before it was called iOS. Trivia: Google's Eric Schmitt was an Apple Board member during the time Apple was developing the iPhone...Google had already acquired Android by then).

Anyways, I am now at about 90% certainty that I am going to get the Priv when it comes to Verizon (this is up from about a 20% certainty as of yesterday).

So, bottom line, some won't buy the Priv simply because of Android. I used to be one of them. If that is you, too, give one a hands-on. I'm still a 3 in regards to Google Android, but with BB on it, you might be surprised
    Last edited by crucial bbq; 11-06-15 at 10:53 PM.
    Lacuna_a_x and kirpriv like this.
    11-06-15 10:42 PM
    Positive notes there. After reading the returns... You still at 90?
    11-06-15 10:45 PM
    Okay, so I did not buy a Priv. I did however swing by the local AT&T store to check one out. Before you discount this OP, keep one thing in mind; regarding Android enthusiasm, on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the most excited about it, I fall in around a 3. I actually like the concept of Android and dig the AOSP, so my main gripes are with Google and what they have done with it. With that in mind...

...my initial impression is that the phone is smaller than I had imagined it would be. It is smaller than the iPhone 6S+, which I knew, but somehow seeing it in person I was relieved. The screen looks nice but a little off. Hard to describe but the edges seem like a kind of no-mans land in terms of real estate. I mean, the edges don't seem to look like they have any real functionality other than just being there. The Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge screen looks more polished by comparison. I know I will get flamed for that comment, but it is true.

The productivity "edge" looks cool but there was no info to display. The way I thought about it was that it was akin to Peak, but on the right-hand side. It looks like a quick-glance notification center, but for all of your "important" stuff only.

The speaker grill looks cheap. No other way to describe it; it looks like plastic. It just does not look like a $700 phone. I am sure the materials are durable, but to some aesthetics matter. Comparing it against the S6 Edge, the Priv does not look like a $700 flagship device. Even on its own it does not. It just lacks that sophistication and sleekness of high-end devices.

Another surprise is that the Priv is light. It is way lighter than the Z30 and way lighter than you would think it would be based on its size. Call me crazy but I think it might even be lighter than my Z10. It does feel good in hand, though. However I should mention that I am a tall dude with big 'ol man hands. It did not feel top heavy at all; the weight distribution is perfect in my opinion.

The slider mechanism felt good and solid: not too stiff but not to loose. The "thumb ridge" didn't feel annoying at all. The pkb reminds me a lot of the Classic. I didn't take any pictures.

The OS felt good and responsive. Not at all buggy like some are saying. The Hub is actually pretty cool, even from the hobbled experience I was able to have with it. I can definitely see the potential of it besting the Hub on BB10. The swipe-up-to-right takes you right to it but I did catch myself swiping left many times. No dice.

The back-button triangle works well. I can definitely see how some Android fanatics swear by it as much as we swear by Flow. I still found myself trying to swipe this way and that but I can see getting to used to the back button rather quickly.

I could not get any of the "3D" pop up/peek widgets to work.

Played around with settings a little; you get a heckofalot more control over the phone than on BB10 any day of the week and even more so than on previous builds of Android. I'm not just talking about themes, or whatever, but with things like disabling an app's ability to target you with ads. Funny coming from a "Google" Android, but it was there. No bedside mode but there is a clock that when activated works just like the clock on BB10. Not the same, I know, but I wouldn't be surprised if a bedside mode magically appeared here one day.

I have to say that "vanilla" Android is way better without TouchWiz, LGs UI, Moto's UI, and so on. BlackBerry's touches are at a minimal with this build and that's not bad. I think they did the right thing by going vanilla but I do hope to see a more stylistic approach in the future.

Ultimately, the phone does not look like a $700 USD handset. It just doesn't. Flame me all you want but wait until you see one in person, too, then you will understand what I am talking about even if you don't agree. The OS and overall experience seems solid, though, and I have to say that I am impressed here. Never thought I would say that about a "Google" Android phone. Seriously, check out my posting history: I was one of the BB10 diehards who swore up and down that I would leave BB without question if they went Android (back when all of this was still a rumor, mind you). And now here I am.

Of course I would still block and disable all of the Google stuff as much as possible if I did get the phone, and yet with that, I am sold. After hogging the Priv in store for a solid 1/2 hour, I can say that I definitely want one. Despite being vanilla Android the Priv definitely feels like a BlackBerry handset. Oddly, it is almost the BB10 we've all wanted all along I feel, but of course, with all the Google stuff tossed in. I say that because BBs influences on the phone/OS are apparent and familiar, and that for who can recall back when Android launched that it looked like an exact combination of BBOS and iPhone OS (before it was called iOS. Trivia: Google's Eric Schmitt was an Apple Board member during the time Apple was developing the iPhone...Google had already acquired Android by then).

Anyways, I am now at about 90% certainty that I am going to get the Priv when it comes to Verizon (this is up from about a 20% certainty as of yesterday).

So, bottom line, some won't buy the Priv simply because of Android. I used to be one of them. If that is you, too, give one a hands-on. I'm still a 3 in regards to Google Android, but with BB on it, you might be surprised
    Would you still pay $700.00 dollars after it comes to Verizon? Or wait for a price drop? By the time the price drop there will be a ton of other options that will blow the Priv out the water in all areas. (Samsung S7, Iphone 7, Rumored Surface Phone by Microsoft with an intel chip.) You stated that it does not feel or look like a $700.00 phone. I agree with you...I saw it at ATT also. I wanted one but can not justify spending that amount. Also, I experienced it was pretty warm in store and battery drained 3% in less than 5 minutes when I was playing around on the interface. BB10 support will be around 1-2 years if you believe what Chen said on the Code Mobile interview...I will hold on to the Z30 until then.
    11-06-15 10:57 PM

Another surprise is that the Priv is light.
    That, indeed, is a surprise - because the Priv is anything but light. As a matter of fact, it's one of the heaviest phones you can buy. It's heavier than the iPhone 6S Plus for example, and that one feels like a brick. I know - I have one.
    11-06-15 11:06 PM
    Yeah I have no doubt that I want it and Verizon is my main carrier. But the 700.00 price point is the toughest thing to get passed. Though I understand why they priced it at a premium to start.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    baspeed likes this.
    11-06-15 11:22 PM
    I too played with it at my local AT&T store. It was all setup for demo when I got there 30 minutes before closing. The sales chick pointed me to it but said she knew nothing about it! But she said she sold one today. (Just one). And if you want to buy w/out contract, it was priced at $740.00!!! USD. And it had half a dozen AT&T bloatwares. (WTF)

The phone is lighter than my Z30. The screen is way nicer than the Z30! Way nicer. Android stuff is plain almost like a Nexus if it didn't have the BB apps.

I played with the keyboard for a long time. I've always played with the Classic whenever I'm at a Verizon store (they always have them). The keys on the Priv are a lot smaller. It didn't feel as comfortable as typing on a Classic, but I felt I could get use to it. But the Classic (and I'm sure the Passport) is way better keys because it has a bit bigger keyboard area. The VKB, since it was on a larger screen than my Z30 had much larger sized virtual keys. Therefore I was shocked at how easy it was to type in these phablet sized VKBs. Which made me realize.... with big screens and the larger VKBs, the hard keyboard may not be necessary. I mean... I just got the Nexus 6P. The larger virtual keys make it easier to type. The hard keys may not be needed..... that's my feeling right now.

I played with the DTEK. On the demo unit it indicated that the phone's location had been accessed about 50,000 times! I kid you not! And that was the only data it indicated as being detected. And this was a demo unit. I also experienced it crashing on me while playing with it. I'm coming to the conclusion that it is of very limited use right now. It detects accessing of data... but what can you do about it? As Bla1ze indicated on his review, DTEK won't really get its full use until the Priv is updated to Marshmallow and you have granular permissions. Then you can use DTEK to see which apps (and their developers) are honest and don't try to get around permissions you have denied on an app.
    11-06-15 11:31 PM
    Yeah I have no doubt that I want it and Verizon is my main carrier. But the 700.00 price point is the toughest thing to get passed. Though I understand why they priced it at a premium to start.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Yea, I always buy unlocked from BB and I can only use ATT or T-Mobile. I went to look at it at ATT but was gonna order from Blackberry. Att wants $740.00 before taxes. BB charge $699.00 before tax. After I saw and touched it...I could not do it. I do not care for apps and it was not enough about the other features to pull me away from Z30. If BB10 support died today then I would have gotten it because of no other BB handset available. I will hold on and see what Chen does in Q1 and Q2. He is coy and he may spring an all touch device with powefull specs and he will no doubt fix the problems that we are seeing with the Priv launch. (Heat and battery issues.)
    southlander likes this.
    11-06-15 11:36 PM
    Had a similar experience today. The phone feels lighter than it's actual weight, since it's heavier than a Z30 - must be the surface area and the way you are inclined to hold it. Might also have to do with the anti-theft thingy - just makes you grip the phone tighter. I will be interested to see how it feels in a one handed real world scenario. Hub could actually make android usable, i tried the 6p for a week hated it and it sucks with exchange - decided to send it back and stick with my Classic and the older Nexus5 for a while. I will try Priv when and if it get vzw'd.
    11-07-15 12:00 AM
    Thanks OP.

I visited my local mall in Oshawa Ontario yesterday. I went to Telus first. They had the keyboard locked. I asked if I could try out the keyboard and was told NO! I left. Rogers didn't have one. Bell didn't either and was nasty about it. Went to koodo and was told that they don't carry anything blackberry and was rude as well. Went to the phone booth or some wireless wave or something similar and was given a dummy phone. I didn't touch it. But was offered a real nexus but I declined and left. Oh well, maybe next week...
    Bbnivende likes this.
    11-07-15 01:05 AM

The phone is lighter than my Z30.
    No, it isn't - it's way heavier. The Z30 is 170g, the Priv is 192g.

That's one of the many reasons why I probably won't buy one. My iPhone 6S Plus already feels like a brick and the Priv weighs even more.
    11-07-15 01:52 AM
    tried the 6p for a week hated it and it sucks with exchange
    That's interesting as the 6P has only just started shipping - and was halted again almost immediately by Google. how were you able to own one for a week? Also: what's not good with exchange? It's built in natively into stock android and works like a charm. If you don't like the look and feel of it, theres Microsoft's Outlook app, Nine etc. I call BS.
    11-07-15 01:56 AM
    Thanks OP.

I visited my local mall in Oshawa Ontario yesterday. I went to Telus first. They had the keyboard locked. I asked if I could try out the keyboard and was told NO! I left. Rogers didn't have one. Bell didn't either and was nasty about it. Went to koodo and was told that they don't carry anything blackberry and was rude as well. Went to the phone booth or some wireless wave or something similar and was given a dummy phone. I didn't touch it. But was offered a real nexus but I declined and left. Oh well, maybe next week...
    I want to Rogers store and they had Priv on display. This is a nice looking phone. Screen is beautiful. Edge to eye screen is awesome. The phone feels good in hand. It is not heavy at all. Keyboard is good. It is bigger than keyboard on my old torch 9810 which was perfectly fine to type on. Overall nice device. It would be great to see the phone in...red or priv steel

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 02:06 AM
    Positive notes there. After reading the returns... You still at 90?
    I have not read all of them, but yeah, I am. Granted I may change my tune after owning the phone for a week or two, however, we are all different. For example, I read a post from one guy who cited not being able to find 'BlackBerry' anywhere on the phone as reason to return the device yet I spotted many of BlackBerry's nuances.

Some of the issues with the Hub do have me concerned; I will save judgement and usability until I get one myself.

Would you still pay $700.00 dollars after it comes to Verizon? Or wait for a price drop? By the time the price drop there will be a ton of other options that will blow the Priv out the water in all areas. (Samsung S7, Iphone 7, Rumored Surface Phone by Microsoft with an intel chip.) You stated that it does not feel or look like a $700.00 phone. I agree with you...I saw it at ATT also. I wanted one but can not justify spending that amount. Also, I experienced it was pretty warm in store and battery drained 3% in less than 5 minutes when I was playing around on the interface. BB10 support will be around 1-2 years if you believe what Chen said on the Code Mobile interview...I will hold on to the Z30 until then.
    I would not drop $700 USD up front on any smartphone unless it came with free beer. There is a JetPack attached to a line on my family plan that no one uses. I could drop data down, put the Priv on the EDGE plan, and with the price difference it would even out.

I will likely never own a Samsung just because; iOS sucks for productivity as far as I am concerned; and the Surface Phone will not be able to replace my desktop. Despite being a Mac addict for nearly two decades, ironically perhaps, if I were to leave BB I would most likely go for a W10 phone.

The phone didn't seem warm to me. Perhaps that was due to my excitement over finally seeing one in person after 8 months of rumors and speculations.

BB10 support will definitely be around for 1 - 2 years after they clear out stock. Considering they are still selling BB10 handsets through their own store, and with current contractual obligations, I would feel confident that a BB10 handset will be supported until 2017 in the least. And to be clear: by support I mean minor updates here and there.

That, indeed, is a surprise - because the Priv is anything but light. As a matter of fact, it's one of the heaviest phones you can buy. It's heavier than the iPhone 6S Plus for example, and that one feels like a brick. I know - I have one.
    It could be an ergonomic illusion, but it does feel lighter.
    11-07-15 10:25 AM
    That's interesting as the 6P has only just started shipping - and was halted again almost immediately by Google. how were you able to own one for a week? Also: what's not good with exchange? It's built in natively into stock android and works like a charm. If you don't like the look and feel of it, theres Microsoft's Outlook app, Nine etc. I call BS.
    Multiple mail clients were choking - with Gmail and Outlook as clients the inbox would flake out and try to re-build itself for no obvious reason on the 6p. It was not happening on the Nexus5...so not really sure what happened, both on M. Since i could finally run an android as my daily driver on Verizon i was unable to count on the 6p. Not sure if its my Exchange or what but there is no way i can run without stable mail. BB10 workflow is so much easier and elegant to use, so i am anxious to see how hub really works on Android, maybe it will solve some of the disjointed continuity issues of switching to android...Priv looks promising but if M has stability issues with Exchange it'll be a no-go for me for now.
    11-07-15 10:32 AM
    Just left an AT&T store and was very impressed with the Priv. Will pick one up once it arrives on TMO...or Amazon.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 10:47 AM
    Hit the local Rogers store this morning. Completely sold out and no idea when it would be back in stock. A good sign but disappointed I could not play on a real demo. All they had was a dummy model which I guess gave me a bit of a feel. Definitely not as big as I thought it would be which is good.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    11-07-15 10:51 AM
    Going to the mall later today with hopes of finding a demo unit. Especially considering it's the mall closest to BB headquarters, lol.
    11-07-15 11:03 AM
    I have not read all of them, but yeah, I am. Granted I may change my tune after owning the phone for a week or two, however, we are all different. For example, I read a post from one guy who cited not being able to find 'BlackBerry' anywhere on the phone as reason to return the device yet I spotted many of BlackBerry's nuances.

Some of the issues with the Hub do have me concerned; I will save judgement and usability until I get one myself.

I would not drop $700 USD up front on any smartphone unless it came with free beer. There is a JetPack attached to a line on my family plan that no one uses. I could drop data down, put the Priv on the EDGE plan, and with the price difference it would even out.

I will likely never own a Samsung just because; iOS sucks for productivity as far as I am concerned; and the Surface Phone will not be able to replace my desktop. Despite being a Mac addict for nearly two decades, ironically perhaps, if I were to leave BB I would most likely go for a W10 phone.

The phone didn't seem warm to me. Perhaps that was due to my excitement over finally seeing one in person after 8 months of rumors and speculations.

BB10 support will definitely be around for 1 - 2 years after they clear out stock. Considering they are still selling BB10 handsets through their own store, and with current contractual obligations, I would feel confident that a BB10 handset will be supported until 2017 in the least. And to be clear: by support I mean minor updates here and there.

It could be an ergonomic illusion, but it does feel lighter.
    Hey, The Current Window Phones will become the new Microsoft Surface Flagship Phone. Microsoft Surface Tablets and Laptops are selling like hotcakes and they want a Surface Phone to be added to that ecosystem. The Lumia 950 XL and 950 have some pretty powerful specs. (Liquid cooling, Windows Hello to unlock phone by looking at you. Carl Zeiss 20 Mega Pixel Pure view camera with Triple Flash. The ability to use your phone as a full computer if you connect it to a monitor. The phones are a bore aesthetically...but they pack a punch. New Surface phone is rumored to be Metal with a intel chip inside. Also you will be able to download all Window 10 apps to the phone. Windows 10 is on over 190 million computers worldwide and growing so developers will start developing for it. That is why Microsoft is giving away free Window 10 upgrades on Windows 7 and 8 computers. They have a plan.
    11-07-15 05:03 PM
    Just left an AT&T store and was very impressed with the Priv. Will pick one up once it arrives on TMO...or Amazon.

Posted via CB10
    How did you like the Physical Keyboard?
    11-07-15 05:10 PM
    The keyboard was great! I think it will be very easy to use like the Classic.
    11-08-15 08:27 AM