Hey Everyone! I finally did it and upgraded from my Z30 to the priv. I was wondering what are some of the first things I should do. Updates, downloads, apps, etc. I am completely new to Android as I have been on BlackBerry for 10+ years. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Posted via CB10
    05-18-16 12:53 PM
    Visiting the verizon user room thread!

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1047821
    05-18-16 12:59 PM
    Definitely check for system updates through the settings menu, and then update all the apps in Google Play - do a search for "BlackBerry Limited" to ensure that the Hub and all other BB apps are fully up to date. Some new adopters of the Priv had problems with the initial release apps. Give yourself some time, and be prepared that it might heat up dramatically while it is finalizing setup and updating. This is normal (or at least happens on mine) and will improve.

Secondly, have fun! I also came from a long loyalty to BB10 and BB7, BB6, etc. before that, and once you get a handle for how Android does things, you'll learn new habits. Most of the things that BB10 did right may be mimicked by Android.
    misterabrasive likes this.
    05-18-16 01:01 PM
    Thanks Usman. I have looked at that but with all those comments it's tough to try and find where the best points and advice are. Thanks though.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-16 01:01 PM
    Thanks Sarek!

Posted via CB10
    05-18-16 01:03 PM
    And be patients coming from BlackBerry 10 there is learning curve, don't get easy frustrated
    tdyhedge likes this.
    05-18-16 01:06 PM
    And be patients coming from BlackBerry 10 there is learning curve, don't get easy frustrated
    The OP's name is trueberrian, not moody.
    Lol

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-18-16 01:16 PM
    Question about Gmail account. When I go to open one of emails I just get a loading message notification. It's been loading for a while. Problem? Other accounts not Gmail are fine. Is this an issue that has come up alot.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-16 01:21 PM
    I haven't seen that, but on a related topic, I would recommend using the Hub to sync your Gmail and deactivate the Gmail app. That way you'll reduce the amount of syncing, and I believe it will mean that you won't get duplicate notifications (if I remember correctly. I removed the Gmail app right away.)

As for the loading message, was it something with a large attachment? I wonder if your account is still syncing...
    05-18-16 01:28 PM
    Yeh, I recommend the same. I've got my Gmail account disabled and just receive all my messages through the hub, thereby eliminating duplicate notifications. Oh and get ready for the loss of visual voice-mail as well. You'll need to check for voicemails the old fashioned way.

05-18-16 01:34 PM
    I think it's still syncing. How do I disable the Gmail app and just have the hub handle it.

This is all just so new.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-16 01:37 PM
    Also, I can see the attachments that are listed in the email it just doesn't load the actual email. Says "loading your message " with the green loading bar

Posted via CB10
    05-18-16 01:42 PM
    I think it's still syncing. How do I disable the Gmail app and just have the hub handle it.

This is all just so new.

Posted via CB10
    Go to Settings>Apps>Gmail> Force Stop, then Disable.
    05-18-16 01:43 PM
    Go to Settings>Apps>Gmail> Force Stop, then Disable.
    Thanks! Any other unnecessary apps I should disable as well? There are tons of apps and I just don't want to start disabling and mess up the phone in any way.

And thank you all for taking the time to help someone out. This really is a great community.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-16 01:50 PM
    Tap and hold the icon and drag it to the top where it says remove or disable.

05-18-16 01:58 PM
    Thanks! Any other unnecessary apps I should disable as well? There are tons of apps and I just don't want to start disabling and mess up the phone in any way.

And thank you all for taking the time to help someone out. This really is a great community.

Posted via CB10
    I've disabled a few just as I've played around with it. What comes to mind immediately is the various keyboard supports like Pinyin and Zhuyin Input, Content Transfer, WatchDox, Finance, etc. I also use Textra instead of Google Messenger because Messenger kept having issues sending and receiving pictures. I use ES File Explorer to mimic the vastly superior BB10 File Explorer - ES allows me to use USB OTG. Others prefer other file explorers. There are plenty of threads devoted to getting as close to the BB10 experience as possible, including Bedside Mode.

For me, half the fun is messing around to make Android work the way I like it. The nice thing is that there are tons of apps for everything, and a large portion of them are free, so I can try them out and find ones I like.
    05-18-16 02:26 PM
    Don't forget to download a file manager. There's none out of the box. Some like ES File Explorer, some like Asus, some like Solid Explorer. I use Solid and it works alright for me. But there's nothing really anything like that stock BB10 file manager.
    05-18-16 02:32 PM
    Your use may vary, but for me I disabled the following:
    -Blackberry help
    -Blackberry preview
    -Calculator (I use RealCalc, pretty much the gold standard for scientific calculators)
    -Content transfer (my contacts are with my google account anyways)
    -Device search
    -Docs (I use MS Word)
    -Finance
    -Gmail
    -Google Japanese
    -Google pinyin
    -Google Play Music
    -Google Play Movies
    -Google Zhuyin input
    -Hangouts
    -Messenger
    -Photos
    -Sheets (I use Excel)
    -Slides
    -Watchdox.
    05-18-16 02:38 PM
    You will also find that there is no native File Manager. Folks recommend Solid file explorer and I also use one by Asus.

Similarly, music players, photo and video viewers. There are some anemic Google apps but I don't want them nosing in my file all that much!
    05-18-16 03:06 PM
    Thanks everyone!

05-18-16 04:53 PM