Ok so let's be "REAL" honest about blackberry and BB10. Blackberry 10 should have been made and hit the market YEARS before it did. The leadership before Chen didn't take apple seriously enough and didn't move fast enough. We live in a technological industry that has no trouble leaving you behind if you don't adapt fast enough and that's what happened to blackberry. Chen is doing his best to save and try to restore the blackberry name. BB10 is the best OS on the market IMO. The majority of us know and feel that way. The issue is it came too late. Developers have moved on and don't see the worth of supporting BB10. That's just reality! We all have to face that. You can't love to survive and live inside a box. Chen is trying and taking a different approach. The app situation on BB10 is horrid. Instead of complaining the complainers can just decide not to purchase the Priv but yet still hope it does well because and win is good for BlackBerry right now. Keep your Q10, Classic, Passport, Z10, or Z30 and be happy with it. See what happens and root blackberry own and hope they can change the perception and overall outlook on them as a brand in the phone industry. As far as this guy it's BB4L.

Posted via CB10
    I'd go further, like I said in another thread Blackberry should have joined the OHA back when Google started it and continued to use BBOS for enterprise/government instead they released the "Apple killer" Storm lol. And to top off this monumental mistake they released a new OS with no app ecosystem 4 years too late and expected the devs to all fall in line and write apps for them, unfortunately by this time Apple had become the new eight hundred pound gorilla in the mobile arena. By releasing a Android phone Blackberry is doing what it should have done years ago. BB10 for enterprise/government Android for the regular consumer.
    light_barer and astrodan13 like this.
    09-26-15 10:34 AM
    I argued years ago that BB10 could have and should have been built on Linux. They would have been able to release it earlier, which would have really helped give BB10 a better chance back then. And even today they could very easily have given users a choice between Android or BB10 on the same hardware with a kernel supported by Qualcomm. It's unfortunate BB ended up falling in love with a fellow Canadian company instead.

Anyway, as others have said, if the Android phone sells then Chen will have no rational reason to keep BB10 going. Intelligent allocation of capital is a CEO's first and most important job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    southlander likes this.
    09-26-15 10:39 AM
    Anyway, as others have said, if the Android phone sells then Chen will have no rational reason to keep BB10 going. Intelligent allocation of capital is a CEO's first and most important job.

Sure there is all their contracts with the military and world governments and enterprise are based on security certifications granted to BB10 OS not Android OS so if Blackberry decided to completely drop BB10, it would lose all those contracts. Chen knows this and that is why he has stated BB10 is still being developed and here to stay.
    09-26-15 10:49 AM
    Sure there is all their contracts with the military and world governments and enterprise are based on security certifications granted to BB10 OS not Android OS so if Blackberry decided to completely drop BB10, it would lose all those contracts. Chen knows this and that is why he has stated BB10 is still being developed and here to stay.
    Their business with our regulated enterprise (if they win it) will be based on BES, not BB10. We have no BB10 devices. The BES business is certainly very important, and BES should work better with Android going forward.

If the Priv is a success, I'll bet even BB's own apps will work better on Android than on BB10 over time. That's where BB's best developers and money will go. They always go to the successful product.

The BB10 business will be so tiny that I can't see it being worth the money invested.

09-26-15 11:00 AM
    BTW Mr. John Chen reveals at CNBC the fact, that the priv will appear with Android-OS only! It is a kick in the arse to all loyal BBOS10 users. Obviously we "real" BB-users didn�t deserve a High-End device- its reserved for the Google-Suckers only... We have to face the low tec Leap, the mid-class Classic and a rehashed Passport in different shells...

Go to hell for this betrayal, BlackBerry

For sh+tstorm:
    https://twitter.com/JohnChen?lang=de

https://www.facebook.com/BlackBerry
    BB10 devices did not sell in higher enough numbers to turn a profit for the hardware division, what is Chen suppose to do: keep using limited funds and resources on developing/releasing BB10 to work with the Priv hardware or give the Android Priv a try first to see if it sales improve over current BB10 devices.
    09-26-15 11:01 AM
    I never heard it read the word developed. Maybe I missed it.
    09-26-15 12:28 PM
    I just want that sweet physical keyboard again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    Since you just want to feel the physical keyboard again, what's wrong with purchasing the classic or the passport?

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 12:41 PM
    The public didn't embrace BB10 no matter how much we BlackBerry loyalists love it. You can't expect BlackBerry to keep making something if no one is buying it! This is the only move left to try to revive the handset business...and it could work!

I'm still on a Z10 and still love it. But I will buy the priv (I too am not fond of that name)... if they've done a good job of integrating some of the classic BlackBerry functionality, then it may be a great phone, albeit Android based.

Here's the experiment... they know that they could make a great android phone. They need to see if they can add enough security layers to satisfy the government, military, and service sectors. If they can, then bb10 will likely, sadly fade.. if they cannot, then they will have to produce another bb10/bb11 device to keep that sector's business.

I will buy the priv. I'll miss the gestures, etc but I'll get used to it same as I went from bbos to bb10. Remember all the crying about that move?
    If BlackBerry releases a future bb10 flagship device, then I'll be right back, and there will be a ready market for my android-based quality slider phone.

I don't care for Android, but that doesn't matter, cause the world likes it. Having the few apps I was missing back will be nice. Having the android apps run smoothly will be nice. Having a cutting edge phone with a slide out BlackBerry keyboard, capacitive yet, will be nice. It will be much easier to steer people to BlackBerry with the priv. Maybe after they gain a foothold of the android market and give people a taste of real BlackBerry functionality there might be a chance to revive the BlackBerry 10 platform.

Don't blame BlackBerry. Blame the consumers.

Posted via CB10
    Very well said!

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    09-26-15 12:42 PM
    Since you just want to feel the physical keyboard again, what's wrong with purchasing the classic or the passport?

Posted via CB10
    I had purchased a NEC terrain some time ago since I wanted android with a physical keyboard but it was super low end. So I returned it and bought the passport which I liked. But I'm really reliant on Google services. My phone number is tied to my Google account and I use Google hangouts.

I had the passport for about a month and found myself downloading so many android apps that it just made for sense to pick up a note 4. Also, Android apps don't always play well with bb10.

As faulty as android may be, I guess I'm just set in their ways, I'm buying the PRIV day one and a passport running Android if it's ever released.

09-26-15 12:46 PM
    Loll I'm just thinking about all the legacy hold-outs that kept complaining about bb10 and how it lacked this and that and how inefficient it was.

Posted via CB10
    djmach_7HN likes this.
    09-26-15 01:30 PM
    Oh man. I just rewatched the video at BlackBerry Jam Americas 2012 where Don Lindsay talks about why they designed BB10 peak & flow as they did. Now I am even more disappointed about this Android news. Here's the video.

Posted via CB10
    djmach_7HN likes this.
    09-26-15 01:35 PM
    I had purchased a NEC terrain some time ago since I wanted android with a physical keyboard but it was super low end. So I returned it and bought the passport which I liked. But I'm really reliant on Google services. My phone number is tied to my Google account and I use Google hangouts.

I had the passport for about a month and found myself downloading so many android apps that it just made for sense to pick up a note 4. Also, Android apps don't always play well with bb10.

As faulty as android may be, I guess I'm just set in their ways, I'm buying the PRIV day one and a passport running Android if it's ever released.

You can obtain the Google Play Services on your Passport. It is a 'faux' version. See other forums in Crackberry: the BB10 Apps forum. Guy by the name of Cobalt built it.
    09-26-15 01:42 PM
    Oh man. I just rewatched the video at BlackBerry Jam Americas 2012 where Don Lindsay talks about why they designed BB10 peak & flow as they did. Now I am even more disappointed about this Android news. Here's the video.

Posted via CB10
    They had so much potential but timing really doomed them from the start.

Had this been ready for market in 2011 instead of the 9900 BlackBerry would still be in a dominant position.

Posted via CB10
    Jake2826 likes this.
    09-26-15 02:23 PM
    The public didn't embrace BB10 no matter how much we BlackBerry loyalists love it. You can't expect BlackBerry to keep making something if no one is buying it! This is the only move left to try to revive the handset business...and it could work!

I'm still on a Z10 and still love it. But I will buy the priv (I too am not fond of that name)... if they've done a good job of integrating some of the classic BlackBerry functionality, then it may be a great phone, albeit Android based.

Here's the experiment... they know that they could make a great android phone. They need to see if they can add enough security layers to satisfy the government, military, and service sectors. If they can, then bb10 will likely, sadly fade.. if they cannot, then they will have to produce another bb10/bb11 device to keep that sector's business.

I will buy the priv. I'll miss the gestures, etc but I'll get used to it same as I went from bbos to bb10. Remember all the crying about that move?
    If BlackBerry releases a future bb10 flagship device, then I'll be right back, and there will be a ready market for my android-based quality slider phone.

I don't care for Android, but that doesn't matter, cause the world likes it. Having the few apps I was missing back will be nice. Having the android apps run smoothly will be nice. Having a cutting edge phone with a slide out BlackBerry keyboard, capacitive yet, will be nice. It will be much easier to steer people to BlackBerry with the priv. Maybe after they gain a foothold of the android market and give people a taste of real BlackBerry functionality there might be a chance to revive the BlackBerry 10 platform.

Don't blame BlackBerry. Blame the consumers.

Posted via CB10

True. On top of that. This is where we are if we still want any resemblance of a Blackberry. Ranting 4 years later(prior to the Late BB10 launch)....is too late. Because of sales numbers expect more of this.....prior to the Q2 results:
    BlackBerry should ditch operating system

Nothing personal, OP, but, blowing up Chens' twitter will probably roll over to his assistant if not already. Yeah, I plan on getting a couple of the Sliders, eventually. Not holding off because of Android. Historically, BlackBerry has always overpriced the smartphones......which doesn't help sales- now. It's not so much the price as it is the "indifference" as to where they are in the market. Keep the price relevant- especially for those still saying...why purchase a BlackBerry? While it maybe a kick in the ***, it was bound to happen. So, those of you with Android/google issues.......need to get over it or enjoy what you are currently using - now. Another 100 threads started asking similar questions leading to discussions and in some instances- flame bait, won't change what is going to happen. Those of us that have supported RIM/BlackBerry for a long time, should be over it......doesn't mean we have to like it. At the end of the day, it's all business with Chen and those he has to answer to keep his job a little longer. My.02
    Uzi and kbz1960 like this.
    09-27-15 12:11 PM
    You can obtain the Google Play Services on your Passport. It is a 'faux' version. See other forums in Crackberry: the BB10 Apps forum. Guy by the name of Cobalt built it.
    Incorrect, you can download a "faux" version of the Google Play store on any BB10 device however it does not contain GPS this hack just lets you make in app purchases and a lot of the apps downloaded from it still don't run properly or not at all.
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    09-27-15 02:25 PM
    Incorrect, you can download a "faux" version of the Google Play store on any BB10 device however it does not contain GPS this hack just lets you make in app purchases and a lot of the apps downloaded from it still don't run properly or not at all.
    Actually Cobalt eventually figured it out, and Google Play Services is fully supported including Google+ login. I've had plenty of discussions with him on this, and there is no doubt.

But some apps bury its authentication pretty deep, and the patching apps can't remove it. That's the problem.

Of course we still have general compatibility issues that have nothing to do with Google Play Services - like a Runtime based on jellybean, and other incompatible eccentricities.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    Last edited by conite; 09-28-15 at 03:53 AM.
    09-27-15 03:33 PM
    But isn't it interesting, if you see the new iphone 6s Commercial, they have integrated BB10os features...so was BB10 really too late? Or was BlackBerry just too outdated by the time they released the OS that was way ahead of the curve? Chicken before the egg conundrum

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 05:42 PM
    The whole Android switch sounds great until the Android updates get stalled for BlackBerry because it needs BlackBerry to update it with its security features. People who buy Android have already made a statement the the manufacturers that they will not tolerate delayed OS updates any longer.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 06:22 PM
    The whole Android switch sounds great until the Android updates get stalled for BlackBerry because it needs BlackBerry to update it with its security features. People who buy Android have already made a statement the the manufacturers that they will not tolerate delayed OS updates any longer.

Posted via CB10
    It's a bit early to speculate on this bit I think.

BlackBerry made it clear that some kind of partnership with Google is in play. I don't know what that means.

Grsecurity is handling the kernel hardening. I don't know what that entails from a OS update point of view either.

The BlackBerry Safeguard component of the BlackBerry Experience Suite is, I assume, a collection of apps (or maybe not). This part should be done before the OS update even becomes publicly available like most other app development.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    09-27-15 06:27 PM
    But isn't it interesting, if you see the new iphone 6s Commercial, they have integrated BB10os features...so was BB10 really too late? Or was BlackBerry just too outdated by the time they released the OS that was way ahead of the curve? Chicken before the egg conundrum

Posted via CB10
    BB10 was too late in the sense that it had no first tier apps available at launch due to the fact that Apple and Google had already cornered the mobile software market. BB10 is a fantastic OS with an advance UI but is crippled by its app gap unfortunately
    kbz1960 and Blacklatino like this.
    09-27-15 06:36 PM
    Actually Cobalt eventually figured it out, and Google Play Services is fully supported included Google+ login. I've had plenty of discussions with him on this, and there is no doubt.

But some apps bury its authentication pretty deep, and the patching apps can't remove it. That's the problem.

Of course we still have general compatibility issues that have nothing to do with Google Play Services - like a Runtime based on jellybean, and other incompatible eccentricities.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    So why are people hacking around with self made software (which is absolutely secure of course!!) to bring a litte Android to BB10 instead of getting the real thing? Don't get it. There's no reason not to get the Priv. It's got everything we wanted from BB10: the Hub and the other PIM apps plus finally access to the Play Store!

Posted via CB10
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    09-28-15 03:18 AM
    Actually Cobalt eventually figured it out, and Google Play Services is fully supported included Google+ login. I've had plenty of discussions with him on this, and there is no doubt.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    Too much workarounds. That's why I sold my passport early while it still has some value and am waiting for Priv.

Can't recommend cobalt's workaround to enterprise/governments either...
    09-28-15 03:41 AM
    So why are people hacking around with self made software (which is absolutely secure of course!!) to bring a litte Android to BB10 instead of getting the real thing? Don't get it. There's no reason not to get the Priv. It's got everything we wanted from BB10: the Hub and the other PIM apps plus finally access to the Play Store!

Posted via CB10
    Of course it's not a mainstream solution, but it is good enough for some.

I "get" very much why some people are content with workarounds in order to stay with BB10.

Eventually, as the Runtime ages, Google Play Services becomes more entrenched, and native app development slows to a crawl, everyone reaches a tipping point.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    09-28-15 04:03 AM
    Of course it's not a mainstream solution, but it is good enough for some.

I "get" very much why some people are content with workarounds in order to stay with BB10.

Eventually, as the Runtime ages, Google Play Services becomes more entrenched, and native app development slows to a crawl, everyone reaches a tipping point.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    Not everyone.

I don't mean to sound like a pessimist here but part of what has hindered BB10 from being a runaway success was the legacy holdouts. There are STILL many who use their legacy devices as their daily drivers. The same will happen with BB10. I know that I, and many others, are approaching the Slider with a 'wait-and-see' approach and I know that this is going to affect the sales of the Slider. Do I really need apps? Well, I get by pretty fine right now... If I really felt like I was missing them that much then I wouldn't still be on BB10. So, Priv, how much BB10 are you going to preserve and how much do I have to sacrifice just so that I can get full access to Google Services?
    That's going to be a big hurdle for BlackBerry. Frankly, I think this device is really aiming for the people who jumped ship long ago. And that's not a small problem. Here are some made up facts that I feel are pretty fair to guess at: 99 percent of Apple customers who line up for the latest iPhone are already existing iPhone customers. This will not be the case with the Priv. They need to not only woe new customers from other platforms but they also need to woe their own loyal customers. As it is, probably 5 to 1 people who are interested in the Priv are on other platforms vs existing BlackBerry customers. I think that's actually a conservative number. And, it's not necessarily because there are so many people on other platforms looking to switch back to BlackBerry, it's because there are so few BB10 users who are eagerly anticipating the jump to Android.
    I really hope that it's a success for BlackBerry. I REALLY do. But they need to get so many things about this device absolutely right and it's not going to be easy.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    09-28-15 04:20 AM
    I want the slider that is running Bb10.
    They can produce an android slider. But I'd buy the BB10 version.

+1!

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.3.2.2639; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.2.2639 ; Germany.
    xmasberry likes this.
    09-28-15 04:29 AM
51 123