09-16-15 01:21 PM
32 12
tools
    All he needs is to be able to say that Android is more secure on BlackBerry hardware, with or without BES.
    We only build secure phones and BlackBerry is the most secure phone so, if I can find a way to secure the Android phone, I will also build that.

I suppose it's only logical: if BlackBerry only builds secure phones, and they're building an Android phone, by definition it must be secure. Brilliant!
    09-12-15 12:04 PM
    We only build secure phones and BlackBerry is the most secure phone so, if I can find a way to secure the Android phone, I will also build that.

I suppose it's only logical: if BlackBerry only builds secure phones, and they're building an Android phone, by definition it must be secure. Brilliant!
    It must, but it will be?
    09-12-15 12:09 PM
    If it's plain vanilla android, count me out for sure.

So how does boeing's black and silent circle's blackphone work?

Are they using the regular vanilla android Linux kernels?

What makes those phone if at all "more secure"?

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 01:59 AM
    If it's plain vanilla android, count me out for sure.

So how does boeing's black and silent circle's blackphone work?

Are they using the regular vanilla android Linux kernels?

What makes those phone if at all "more secure"?

Posted via CB10
    Blackphone, as far as I know, has no fundamental changes to the kernel:

When it comes to security, I feel that Blackphone's claims are overstated. Blackphone made several rookie mistakes when shipping their device, one of which was completely avoidable by simply running the Android CTS. Further, the Blackphone contains no additional OS or kernel hardening features when compared against other Android devices. Comparing the device against Samsung's Galaxy S5, Blackphone lags quite a bit behind.
    As for the Boeing phone, the exact changes are probably above most people's pay grades, but here's the brochure. Given that the phone is set to self-destruct upon opening the case, I'm guessing that they took the extra steps.

Additional justifications for withholding the above listed materials from public inspection are as follows. With respect to the Block Diagram, Schematics, Internal Photos, Parts List/Tune Up Information, and Boeing Black Purchase Agreement, pursuant to guidance issued by your office, such materials may be treated as confidential on a permanent basis if “the device is sealed and disassembly would destroy the product.”10 There are no serviceable parts on Boeing’s Black phone and any attempted servicing or replacing of parts would destroy the product. The Boeing Black phone is manufactured as a sealed device both with epoxy around the casing and with screws, the heads of which are covered with tamper proof covering to identify attempted disassembly. Any attempt to break open the casing of the device would trigger functions that would delete the data and software contained within the device and make the device inoperable.
    The Big Picture likes this.
    09-13-15 03:57 AM
    Blackphone, as far as I know, has no fundamental changes to the kernel:

As for the Boeing phone, the exact changes are probably above most people's pay grades, but here's the brochure. Given that the phone is set to self-destruct upon opening the case, I'm guessing that they took the extra steps.
    Thanks thurask for that insight.

So my next question is, if Boeing can do it why can't blackberry?

Why are we saying that's it's impossible and beyond blackberry's resources?

Didn't Boeing consult BlackBerry in building their phone?

http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/22/b...ck-smartphone/

I'm not saying that it will definitely happen, but thinking that BlackBerry is not capable of at least in some way securing android is really just being unreasonably negative.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 12:53 PM
    Thanks thurask for that insight.

So my next question is, if Boeing can do it why can't blackberry?

Why are we saying that's it's impossible and beyond blackberry's resources?

Didn't Boeing consult BlackBerry in building their phone?

Blackberry helps Boeing with its hyper-secure 'Black' smartphone

I'm not saying that it will definitely happen, but thinking that BlackBerry is not capable of at least in some way securing android is really just being unreasonably negative.

Posted via CB10
    All the article says is that the Black works on BES12, any further cooperation is speculation due to the opacity of what goes on inside the phone. I personally doubt it went much further.

Besides, Boeing is a couple orders of magnitude larger than BlackBerry, plus it's forever more ingrained with the American military/intelligence structure than BlackBerry is, so they have the clientele and the means to do something like this.

Whatever BlackBerry could do on a shoestring budget is still targeted mostly at businesses rather than alphabet soup agencies, so it can't be much more elaborate than hardened Android.
    09-13-15 03:53 PM
    Boeing has been working on their 'Black' phone for a couple years now and despite their significant resources its still not in customer hands. AFAIK Androberry is a Chen product.
    09-16-15 01:21 PM
32 12