If I buy a 'factory unlocked', from Best Buy or Amazon, will BB directly update OS, or will I still be carrier dependent? STV100-1. The AT&T version is plainly listed as such, right next to the unlocked version. About $120 to $140 less than BB

Please don't respond with guesses, I'm perfectly capable of guessing all by myself.

Has anybody on AT&T purchased one from another vendor and gotten the update?
    12-13-15 08:01 AM
    Direct. And prompt, too.
    12-13-15 08:24 AM
    I'm going to guess but the updates come from blackberry. Purely guessing. 😇
    12-13-15 09:16 AM
    i have the same setup - updated on the 8th
    12-13-15 09:18 AM
    All jokes aside what happens is the following: BlackBerry sells an unlocked version and another one is sold through the carriers. When the carriers get their model they put in apps, carrier iq, and a whole bunch of garbage. Now, if you have an unlocked phone such as the one blackberry sells, then it will be carrier garbage free. They didn't put their greedy hands all over it and you will get anything pushed from the manufacturer. Simple as that. ATT simply provides you with cell phone reception and service. They have NOTHING to do with your phone or updates. So think of it this way... Blackberry unlocked looks for updates from updates.blackberry.com while the att variant searches for updates from att.updates.com
    12-13-15 09:25 AM
    Amazon unlocked updated already.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-13-15 09:35 AM
    All jokes aside what happens is the following: BlackBerry sells an unlocked version and another one is sold through the carriers. When the carriers get their model they put in apps, carrier iq, and a whole bunch of garbage. Now, if you have an unlocked phone such as the one blackberry sells, then it will be carrier garbage free. They didn't put their greedy hands all over it and you will get anything pushed from the manufacturer. Simple as that. ATT simply provides you with cell phone reception and service. They have NOTHING to do with your phone or updates. So think of it this way... Blackberry unlocked looks for updates from updates.blackberry.com while the att variant searches for updates from att.updates.com
    That is exactly my understanding, however, I can unlock an AT&T phone, but not get the update. Nor will I be able get rid of the junk/bloat ware. Since the term unlocked is used rather ambiguously, I'm trying to make sure before I spend $700.

Several posters have verified that their 'factory unlocked' versions, purchased from sources other than BB, and on the AT&T network, have updated. Thats what I wanted to hear.

Now I just need to figure out how to get AT&T to take this one back, I don't need 2.

I suspect, (yes, it's a guess) that AT&T does not put all the 'stuff' on the phone. But rather BB does, for AT&T phones, as AT&T orders them. Course it really doesn't matter how it got there.

The question was whether a phone NOT bought from BB, but 'factory unlocked', would update while on the AT&T network with an AT&T SIM.

In other words, you listed 2 scenarios, I was inquiring about a third.
    12-13-15 11:15 AM
    OK I see where the confusion is. Basically make sure there is NO mention of ATT when buying the phone. Even if it was for ATT and you "unlock" it, the bloatware will still be in there. The actual rom (the OS, if you will) is hard coded for ATT. You can't change that without rooting and installing a custom rom. Welcome to the world of Androids.

You can safely buy an unlocked one straight from blackberry. On the ATT network it will update with no problem if it was factory unlocked. You'll known if you can't by looking at the back cover. If it has a carrier logo, you are stuck unless you root it and install custom roms. However I doubt this will happen since the Priv is all about security and not custom roms.
    12-13-15 11:19 AM
    I should mention, be careful if you're going to buy from a private seller. Be 100% sure it was not from ATT and they got an unlock code to take to a new carrier. That will still leave you with the ATT bloat. And it'll still have carrier iq and be horrible.
    12-13-15 11:30 AM
    I should mention, be careful if you're going to buy from a private seller. Be 100% sure it was not from ATT and they got an unlock code to take to a new carrier. That will still leave you with the ATT bloat. And it'll still have carrier iq and be horrible.
    Very good point, I was actually going to buy from Best Buy, as they currently have the best price. Well, they did, just checked and BB is back to $699, they were listing $899 this morning. Or maybe I just hadn't had enough coffee yet.
    12-13-15 01:48 PM
    My guess is as good as your guess. However to look at it in a positive way. It's a 50/50 guess

Posted via Priv
    12-13-15 05:34 PM
    I convinced AT&T to let me send the phone back, ( I was having issues, most of which it had been documented that the update would fix ) with a refund. The rep I was talking to, even checked to see if the AT&T update was scheduled. Within minutes I had ordered one direct from BB. Am going to switch back to my Z10 untill the new Priv arrives. Would have done it right then, but the SIM's are different, so still using Priv, about 3 hours later I get the update notice.

That was yesterday morning, BTW I wasn't totally crazy on the $899 price, not enough coffee and stumbled my way to the Canadian BB side of things. It is $899 Canadian.
    12-15-15 08:29 PM