I saw this question asked for a different model, maybe the KEYone, but not the Priv. I bought this mic https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UvbUpU13340750 and this adapter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UvbUpU13340750. My wife has an iPhone 6S, and it works on her phone, so I take that to mean I bought the right hardware.

The purpose is to start a YouTube channel for her singing, in case the application matters. If we simply record audio, we can just use her phone and that should be fine. However, if we do videos, my phone has the much better camera, so it would be easier if I could record the video on my phone with that mic, as opposed to recording the video with my phone, the audio with her phone, and then having to combine them in some editing program.

Any ideas what I may be doing wrong? Besides recording video with the camera with the mic plugged in, I've also tried Audio Recorder, Voice Recorder, and RecForge Lite, but none of them use the external mic.

Thanks,
    Josh
    coffee-turtle likes this.
    01-27-19 11:07 PM
    I saw this question asked for a different model, maybe the KEYone, but not the Priv. I bought this mic https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UvbUpU13340976 and this adapter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UvbUpU13340976. My wife has an iPhone 6S, and it works on her phone, so I take that to mean I bought the right hardware.

The purpose is to start a YouTube channel for her singing, in case the application matters. If we simply record audio, we can just use her phone and that should be fine. However, if we do videos, my phone has the much better camera, so it would be easier if I could record the video on my phone with that mic, as opposed to recording the video with my phone, the audio with her phone, and then having to combine them in some editing program.

Any ideas what I may be doing wrong? Besides recording video with the camera with the mic plugged in, I've also tried Audio Recorder, Voice Recorder, and RecForge Lite, but none of them use the external mic.

Thanks,
    Josh
    First of all: SWEET IDEA AND HARDWARE!

I have never tried anything like that. Do you know if the device recognizes the external microphone and/or adapter? Does it appear somewhere in a notification or setting to let you know it is connected. Any audio cues?

Then if so, do you get a new option to jump between internal/external microphone. In other words, have to flips an option on to force the device to use external microphone?

Have you tried searching on those two Amazon sites seeing if anyone else had a similar issue and found a solution?

Please let us know. Very cool if it works.
    01-28-19 02:25 PM
    Thank you! We're rather excited about the whole project.

When I plug it in, whether with the adapter or not, it says "Headset connected, Tap to launch Play Music", and if I tap that notification, it simply launches the Play Music app that came with the phone, which I think is a Google app. The same notification pops up if I plug in my hands-free headset to make a phone call, so it definitely uses the one port for both audio in and audio out. And so to answer your question, the phone at least sees that it's there.

However, I don't see an option to jump between internal and external microphone. I looked through some of the phone settings but didn't find anything that looked relevant. Didn't find anything on the two Amazon sites either. Nor in the recording apps. The higher quality microphones are designed to plug into DSLR cameras, and the adapter is supposed to then allow them to work with most smartphones, in case you were wondering why I didn't just get something advertised as compatible with Android smartphones.

Thanks for responding, and let me know if any of that helps!
    coffee-turtle likes this.
    01-28-19 05:56 PM
    Thanks for the answers! Yeah, I saw that the device was being used with DSLR cameras and no smartphone instances. And from what you described, it sounds like it should be working. I wonder if there is an app that can specifically take advantage of external audio hardware...?

My only other suggestion is to contact the manufacturer directly for some support (either the microphone or the adapter). They must have had this scenario come up at least once before.

Rough search: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...audio.extramic

https://play.google.com/store/search...rce=opensearch

There's no way for me to test, but the description of some of these sound like they could take advantage of an external microphone.
    01-30-19 12:31 PM
    I should've thought of trying those avenues! Will let you know what I find. Regardless, thanks for taking the time to reply to me.
    01-31-19 10:57 AM
    I've got K1 users with sound quality issues on video using the default app. Any luck finding a solution for the poor sound or using an external mic?
    03-12-19 12:12 PM
    Nope, sorry. Haven't tried yet, to be honest. We got side tracked with some other projects so we had to push this off. Since the mic was at least working with her phone, we're thinking that'll be fine.
    03-12-19 12:37 PM
    I did contact Rode, the mic manufacturer, and they said this was an unknown problem to them. They simply recommended I contact my carrier or BlackBerry.
    03-12-19 01:20 PM