All this talk about lack of security with Android. If that was on people's priority list. BlackBerry would be #1 in every facet of Government, Enterprise and consumer mobile markets. The reality is they're not and only certain sectors of the Government and IT BIG, want low grade fleet phones that focus on securing communications for their employees.

The rest of the world want an IT administrative product to manage multiple mobile platforms i.e. BES12 and the ability to B.Y.O.D or have their employees order any device within a corporate handset list.

I for one hope BlackBerry has worked these partnerships with Samsung and Google, so they can bring to market a relevant/ refreshing Android device in order to reinsert themselves into the consumer market. There will always be a need for BB10 but the OS needs to be tailored solely for secure communications for market sectors that hold security as there #1 priority. This will also reduce the manufacturing cost related to BB10 OS.

Look! It's Zedzilla30!

Some people are so close minded. MG give the device and OS a chance. BlackBerry can not compete against Samsung, Google and the Apple. Their reputation has been tarnished by the past. Lets give it 6 months before making rash judgements or predictions.

I see nothing, but good from this move and yes, I think there still will be a parallel BB10 for that special group. By the adding Google Play to BB10 your basically doing the same thing except it uses more RAM. Loaded it last weekend went from 630mb to over 1g or RAM to run the android programs. Just as long as the Hub is retained I'm good. Look at all the money BB will be saving.
    07-13-15 11:25 AM
    If blackberry doesn't decide what they will do in the future, there will be zero corporate sales. Imagine you are big company with 100k employees (where I work) you want to roll out company phones and you buy lets say 100 k classic devices after a couple of months the rumor appears that your cellphone provider switches from their existing operating system to another. No IT department would like to experience such a scenario. Things must be 100 percent clear. This chen guy is sitting on his seat for 19 months and still visiting tv channels to explain his turnaround strategy. Come on man we heard enough strategic stories from you, just tell us what you will do.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by smhkrlv; 07-13-15 at 02:58 PM. Reason: passport pkb typo issues
    07-13-15 02:49 PM
    If blackberry doesn't decide what they will do in the future, there will be zero corporate sales. Imagine you are big company with 100k employees (where I work) you want to roll out company phones and you buy lets say 100 k classic devices after a couple of months the rumor appears that your cellphone provider switches from their existing operating system to another. No IT department would like to experience such a scenario. Things must be 100 percent clear. This chen guy is sitting on his seat for 19 months and still visiting tv channels to explain his turnout strategy. Come man we heard enough strategic stories from you, just tell us what you will do.

Posted via CB10
    That's why Chen is just ok. No info coming forward to the installed base about what is to come. BES and the iot is great. Nothing there that pertains to me as a BlackBerry user. Infact imho he is a notch below just ok

Posted via CB10
    smhkrlv likes this.
    07-13-15 02:53 PM
    If blackberry doesn't decide what they will do in the future, there will be zero corporate sales. Imagine you are big company with 100k employees (where I work) you want to roll out company phones and you buy lets say 100 k classic devices after a couple of months the rumor appears that your cellphone provider switches from their existing operating system to another. No IT department would like to experience such a scenario. Things must be 100 percent clear. This chen guy is sitting on his seat for 19 months and still visiting tv channels to explain his turnaround strategy. Come on man we heard enough strategic stories from you, just tell us what you will do.

Posted via CB10
    He isn't saying anything because he hasn't figured it out yet. Go look at his Sybase interview. At Sybase he made up some vaporware term of what they were moving to, then eventually made something that fit the term. At BlackBerry he is just saying some things, and hoping something the company is does or can do well finally fits into that term. Sadly in the meantime the public and markets think or know he is full of S right now and are bailing.

Posted via Z30
    07-13-15 04:00 PM
    All this talk about lack of security with Android.
    Many BB10 users here on Crackberry behave a bit schizophrenic, they:
    -update their OS with autoloaders from unknown sources
    -use cloud services like GMail
    -install apps with security holes like Flash browser
    -install patched/cracked apks from unknown sources
    -install apps from developers like Nemory
    ...and then the want to laugh about Android users because of an insecure OS? How pathetic... The weak factor is most of the times the user and not the device...
    ruhban, early2bed, illlya and 6 others like this.
    07-13-15 04:43 PM
    Looool so true! ^

Posted via CB10
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    07-13-15 04:53 PM
    So if it exists, it will be full of security holes.

Posted via CB10
    And other issues... (But this isn't a hole, it's working as designed )

Yes, Google Photos Can Still Sync Your Photos After You Delete The App | TechCrunch
    07-13-15 05:45 PM
    He isn't saying anything because he hasn't figured it out yet. Go look at his Sybase interview. At Sybase he made up some vaporware term of what they were moving to, then eventually made something that fit the term. At BlackBerry he is just saying some things, and hoping something the company is does or can do well finally fits into that term. Sadly in the meantime the public and markets think or know he is full of S right now and are bailing.

Posted via Z30
    I disagree that he hasn't said anything.

He has set a target for software sales and has made progress in meeting that goal.

He set a target for BBM revenue but has backed off of it saying he needs more time.

He has set a target for the devices business to be profitable. He is close to this but has done it by cutting costs, not through growth. He said he want to sell 10 million devices a year but he is probably only at half that.

He talks about IOT but so far this has been limited to auto stuff that QNX already does.

He concedes that he needs to grow the business. This is the key phase. It's not fair to judge him based on the limited time he has been running things. He always talked about a three year plan and he is not yet two years into it.

I still think that devices will make or break BlackBerry. If Chen can't revive that business somewhat, BlackBerry will be a small not very relevant company. He clearly has something in the works and I am keeping an open mind. I'll buy Slider but I'm not the problem for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-15 06:10 PM
    Will this be a dual sim. Cdma/gsm. Or gsm only

Posted via CB10
    07-14-15 04:35 AM
    I disagree that he hasn't said anything.

He has set a target for software sales and has made progress in meeting that goal.

He set a target for BBM revenue but has backed off of it saying he needs more time.

He has set a target for the devices business to be profitable. He is close to this but has done it by cutting costs, not through growth. He said he want to sell 10 million devices a year but he is probably only at half that.

He talks about IOT but so far this has been limited to auto stuff that QNX already does.

He concedes that he needs to grow the business. This is the key phase. It's not fair to judge him based on the limited time he has been running things. He always talke. d about a three year plan and he is not yet two years into it.

I still think that devices will make or break BlackBerry. If Chen can't revive that business somewhat, BlackBerry will be a small not very relevant company. He clearly has something in the works and I am keeping an open mind. I'll buy Slider but I'm not the problem for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    He set fairly vague targets but doesn't, doesn't talk at all about how he will hit them. He won't acknowledge his product line is the worst selling one ever, and worse than his predecessors. He is playing numbers games on the software revenue and the market caught it. And BBM is almost a joke now with hardcore and business users wondering why the damn shop spark is there for stickers on a professional targeted devices. IOT is the biggest vaporware yet and all of their "efforts" are saying the stuff with cars show they are in lead. The US once set a target of going to the moon, and they actually had to build and test rockets to get there, aggressively, and people could see progress.

I agree on devices will break them, and the devices Chen has brought to market are worse sales failures than anything BlackBerry has ever done. The Passport has great specs but a form factor few want. And the Classic is underspec'd, low quality (double typing threads) junk that is priced too high and that isn't meeting it's goals of BBOS conversion. Leap is just sad. They are ignoring their own largest BB10 segment and the largest global segment, all touch, and no the Leap is not an effort in all touch. Slider is too far out, bet they will not make holiday season in US.

Posted via Z30
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    07-14-15 05:57 AM
    I don't agree that the Slider is too far out if it turns out to be Android. The Android operating system could take focus off of the limitations and put it on the productivity that comes from having a keyboard. If it is as thin as the guy on Reddit says it is, I think a narrow profit margin and some Passport- level media coverage could be just enough to get them in the race. I think the expectation of small profits could be the key to Blackberry's success. However, Chen has never really worked in handsets before, so he had no idea what he was getting into with the Passport. The Classic could have been a good idea had it been coupled side-by-side with the Passport and a Leap with a little more power. No, I don't think the Leap needed to be high-powered. It's an all-touch that consumers do not really want. the all-touch market is over-saturated. But something with a decent processor, lte, and 1080p screen would have been a better bet than the downright mundane design of the Leap. This Slider could fix that if it is thin enough. I know some people are concerned about the ability to lock the keyboard, as if the keyboard is just going to jump out and start playing peek-a-boo. However, such ridiculous concerns aside, the thinness of the phone, with solid specs, no app gap, sturdy build quality, and a decent battery and a cool screen all add up to a phone too interesting to pass up with no reason to consider passing it up. The Slider could be big.
    MO3iusONE and ptpete like this.
    07-14-15 08:34 AM
    He set fairly vague targets but doesn't, doesn't talk at all about how he will hit them. He won't acknowledge his product line is the worst selling one ever, and worse than his predecessors. He is playing numbers games on the software revenue and the market caught it. And BBM is almost a joke now with hardcore and business users wondering why the damn shop spark is there for stickers on a professional targeted devices. IOT is the biggest vaporware yet and all of their "efforts" are saying the stuff with cars show they are in lead. The US once set a target of going to the moon, and they actually had to build and test rockets to get there, aggressively, and people could see progress.

I agree on devices will break them, and the devices Chen has brought to market are worse sales failures than anything BlackBerry has ever done. The Passport has great specs but a form factor few want. And the Classic is underspec'd, low quality (double typing threads) junk that is priced too high and that isn't meeting it's goals of BBOS conversion. Leap is just sad. They are ignoring their own largest BB10 segment and the largest global segment, all touch, and no the Leap is not an effort in all touch. Slider is too far out, bet they will not make holiday season in US.

Posted via Z30
    In what way is BlackBerry playing games on the software numbers?

On the devices, really only Classic and Leap are his. Passport was developed under Heins. Passport is exactly the kind of device that BlackBerry needs to make it as a niche player. It is good but sales are not what they would be if people had more confidence in the company.

Classic and Leap are all his.

Classic might still ramp up a bit. I think Chen is right that there is a market for a device like that. But, who even knows about it? This is why I think Chen's old friend John Sims lost his job.

Leap is clearly a lackluster product. I don't know who thought that would be a good idea to make a device like that.

When Chen talks about Devices now he always mentions "design." I think he understands now that he can't put out a generic product and have it sell.

It is still too early to make judgments when we are not two years into a 3 year turnaround.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-15 03:35 PM
    In what way is BlackBerry playing games on the software numbers?
    He threw in the Cisco payments which weren't software in with the software revenue. Tried to avoid it on the call. Without that the "Software Revenue" wouldn't have looked impressive at all.
    07-14-15 07:56 PM
    In what way is BlackBerry playing games on the software number?
    BlackBerry bundled software sales and licensing revenue together in its recent quarterly report. The terms of new licensing weren't disclosed, but BlackBerry acknowledged that an upfront payment or two may have been made to an undisclosed buyer.

Basically, there's no way of knowing how much new revenue came from software sales and how much came from Chen licensing BlackBerry's IP. There's also thought that perhaps Chen might have licensed under terms that were not as advantageous to BlackBerry, so he could get paid in part up front and save face.

Chen should be able to move BES12. His predecessor dumped a lot of resources into rebuilding BES and began an early sales campaign with free tiers to make up for the problems with BES10. Plus, there are a lot of BES companies from Mike L. days who are way overdue for an upgrade to handle BB10 and cross-platform stuff. Chen makes it sound like he's transitioned the company to software and showed sales muscle. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Software sales should be higher. But, they are growing as a proportion of revenues because BES12 has finally launched and, well, because Chen has pretty much taken a flop on hardware.

But, I could see one *hit* device turn things around. Do you remember where Apple was before the iPod? But, the device can't be more of the same or "we can do that, too." Mike L. might have the vision to build that kind of device. We'll see if Chen does... or even wants to try...

Posted via CB10
    07-15-15 02:18 AM
    Many BB10 users here on Crackberry behave a bit schizophrenic, they:
    -update their OS with autoloaders from unknown sources
    -use cloud services like GMail
    -install apps with security holes like Flash browser
    -install patched/cracked apks from unknown sources
    -install apps from developers like Nemory
    ...and then the want to laugh about Android users because of an insecure OS? How pathetic... The weak factor is most of the times the user and not the device...
    Well put sir! Very well put.

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    oc20 likes this.
    07-15-15 11:04 AM
    That's why Chen is just ok. No info coming forward to the installed base about what is to come. BES and the iot is great. Nothing there that pertains to me as a BlackBerry user. Infact imho he is a notch below just ok

Posted via CB10
    "BES and the iot is great. Nothing there that pertains to me as a BlackBerry user."

Chan is just ok?! Are you well? This guy turned a company that was on its death bed into something generating revenue within 18 months. Just because you or I may not be involved in the companies strategic planning, doesn't mean it isn't occurring.

And if you were truly a BlackBerry enthusiast, you'd take notice to all the current alliances being made as I see Mr. Chan laughing in his office everyday like the Joker saying.......

"But, you can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs!"

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    07-15-15 11:19 AM
    "BES and the iot is great. Nothing there that pertains to me as a BlackBerry user."

Chan is just ok?! Are you well? This guy turned a company that was on its death bed into something generating revenue within 18 months. Just because you or I may not be involved in the companies strategic planning, doesn't mean it isn't occurring.

And if you were truly a BlackBerry enthusiast, you'd take notice to all the current alliances being made as I see Mr. Chan laughing in his office everyday like the Joker saying.......

"But, you can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs!"

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    Is Chen smiling? I think not. BlackBerry's performance sucks. Earning report after earning report reflects terrible year-over-year and quarterly declines in key metrics like device sales and subscriber base. Some of the alleged �good news� turns out to be accounting tricks (ie Cisco revenues). And BlackBerry stock has lost 20% in the last three months as the broader market sees through Chen's smokescreens:

I don�t see how Chen or BlackBerry would find any of this the least bit humorous, unless he's been shorting the stock on the sly.
    07-15-15 11:36 AM
    Is Chen smiling? I think not. BlackBerry's performance sucks. Earning report after earning report reflects terrible year-over-year and quarterly declines in key metrics like device sales and subscriber base. Some of the alleged �good news� turns out to be accounting tricks (ie Cisco revenues). And BlackBerry stock has lost 20% in the last three months as the broader market sees through Chen's smokescreens:

https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07...e2fa925eb2.jpg

I don�t see how Chen or BlackBerry would find any of this the least bit humorous, unless he's been shorting the stock on the sly.

John Chen should have never been named CEO, CFO possibly, but not CEO, he can't speak or act like a leader, so he shouldn't have the position of one!

Posted via CB10
    Trauma Surgeon likes this.
    07-15-15 01:17 PM
    BlackBerry's performance sucks. Earning report after earning report reflects terrible year-over-year and quarterly declines in key metrics like device sales and subscriber base. Some of the alleged �good news� turns out to be accounting tricks (ie Cisco revenues). And BlackBerry stock has lost 20% in the last three months as the broader market sees through Chen's smokescreens:
    And, not to mention, all the layoffs!
    07-15-15 07:36 PM
    And, not to mention, all the layoffs!
    Exactly! Chen's cutting has made anyone left lose interest and confidence, instead of doubling down on the company, they've cut everything and you can barely get a hold of the company. Crackberry is a ghostown these days, and mods are deleting anything seemingly negative even fair opinions. No wonder all you see is good from whatever cb fans are left, all the negativity has been purged from anyone's eyes, further enabling BlackBerry and any fans thinking that nothing needs to be changed. This company has gone from having a chance to succeed to a company that just wants to be in the crowd. They're no longer leaders, merely followers who can't make a buck.

Posted via CB10
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    07-15-15 08:40 PM
    ok all this talk of the Slider being fitted with Android is just making me wanna scream and pull my hair out....

im holding out from making a new phone purchase because i was waiting for the Slider to come out. BUT i am expecting a Blackberry product to carry a Blackberry OS, y'know the way it logically should.

im not saying that Blackberry shouldnt release an Android version, what i am saying is that Blackberry should not forget to release a BB10 Slider as well. dont leave your loyalists in a lurch just because the popular kids came calling Mr Chen.

and let me qualify my post by saying that i loved my Samsung Note, so i know how awesome Android can be. but pound for pound the BB10 OS out-performs the Android OS on just about every aspect of user experience. i'd love to finally get a slider phone, but not at the expense of regressing to a lesser OS. that is a deal-breaker Mr Chen.
    07-16-15 02:48 AM
    ...and let me qualify my post by saying that i loved my Samsung Note, so i know how awesome Android can be. but pound for pound the BB10 OS out-performs the Android OS on just about every aspect of user experience. i'd love to finally get a slider phone, but not at the expense of regressing to a lesser OS. that is a deal-breaker Mr Chen.
    I would accept this argument from a die-hard BlackBerry fan who exclusively uses BB devices, but it just amazes me when somebody says an Android BlackBerry is a deal breaker when they are already using Android!
    ruhban likes this.
    07-16-15 05:49 AM
    ok all this talk of the Slider being fitted with Android is just making me wanna scream and pull my hair out....

im holding out from making a new phone purchase because i was waiting for the Slider to come out. BUT i am expecting a Blackberry product to carry a Blackberry OS, y'know the way it logically should.

im not saying that Blackberry shouldnt release an Android version, what i am saying is that Blackberry should not forget to release a BB10 Slider as well. dont leave your loyalists in a lurch just because the popular kids came calling Mr Chen.

and let me qualify my post by saying that i loved my Samsung Note, so i know how awesome Android can be. but pound for pound the BB10 OS out-performs the Android OS on just about every aspect of user experience. i'd love to finally get a slider phone, but not at the expense of regressing to a lesser OS. that is a deal-breaker Mr Chen.
    But if a BB10 Slider version is released, but without the Android runtime feature, would you still be willing to purchase it? Such a device version would have access to VERY few apps, and with Chen pretty much killing native BB10 development, there would be pretty much no chance for the BB10 software situation to improve.

My thought is that BlackBerry may release such a BB10-only option for some high-security enterprise customers, but the full Android version would probably account for 99% of whatever sales they are able to make.
    07-16-15 07:51 AM
    Exactly! Chen's cutting has made anyone left lose interest and confidence, instead of doubling down on the company, they've cut everything and you can barely get a hold of the company. Crackberry is a ghostown these days, and mods are deleting anything seemingly negative even fair opinions. No wonder all you see is good from whatever cb fans are left, all the negativity has been purged from anyone's eyes, further enabling BlackBerry and any fans thinking that nothing needs to be changed. This company has gone from having a chance to succeed to a company that just wants to be in the crowd. They're no longer leaders, merely followers who can't make a buck.
    Where have you been? Layoffs were started during the Heins era, which is why Chen doesn't get the blame for doing it. There's a lot of negative BlackBerry posts on CrackBerry and several threads complaining about it. It's like you haven't followed along and wanted to post some generalities, which are your last two sentences.
    07-16-15 11:21 AM
    If BlackBerry change the os to android this could be a problem for us (bb10 users) because depending the BlackBerry android Phone sales we might start to getting less and less bb10 support. If that happened ill say bye to BlackBerry, hope not.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-15 05:53 PM
350 ... 910111213 ...