Is it Passport size? Too big for me.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 03:02 PM
    Could anyone tell me, how is it going to sell being an android, when people don't really know about non- android devices?

And with little to no mass market appeal of the brand?

Just curious.

Posted via CB10
    Any strategy that performs better than the current BB10 approach would be a step in the right direction. A low bar, I know. But BlackBerry has to make some moves in a sort of desperate, Hail Mary type fashion and having the best/only physical keyboard Android device (plus rumored high specs!), it will outsell the Passport by a mile, in my opinion.

Is it Passport size? Too big for me.

Posted via CB10
    This phone is supposed to have a screen size of about 5.5 inches, and that's without the keyboard exposed. It will be HUGE. Early reports are that it�s light and thin, but with poor battery life. We�ll see.
    07-08-15 03:15 PM
    Any strategy that performs better than the current BB10 approach would be a step in the right direction. A low bar, I know. But BlackBerry has to make some moves in a sort of desperate, Hail Mary type fashion and having the best/only physical keyboard Android device (plus rumored high specs!), it will outsell the Passport by a mile, in my opinion.
    Well, Motorola didn't do really well with PKB, did they. And they had / have better brand recognition. I think if there was market for PKB on android, someone already would have been going that way.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 03:26 PM
    Well, Motorola didn't do really well with PKB, did they. And they had / have better brand recognition. I think if there was market for PKB on android, someone already would have been going that way.

Posted via CB10
    Me, too. I agree with you 100%.

I have always been in the camp that wanted BlackBerry to release the high-end all-touch Z50 rather than multiple PKB devices, but Chen had other ideas. I don�t even like the slider form factor on this new device, especially if it leads to poor battery life, which I think is likely. Nevertheless, there are PKB fans on the forums who seem genuinely excited. If BlackBerry even gets 1% of the Android market with it, the plan would be a huge success.
    07-08-15 04:09 PM
    Actually, they did... I don't know where you got your data but here's what usually happens to non-BB phones with PKBs:

People get excited to try a new non-BB PKB decice and when the user realizes that the PKB doesn't have the BlackBerry 'secret sauce' they bail.

Initial sales for the Droid line with PKBs were good, but they aren't BlackBerry PKBS, and people know there's a difference, even if they can't articulate what the difference is.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 04:10 PM
    Actually, they did... I don't know where you got your data but here's what usually happens to non-BB phones with PKBs:

People get excited to try a new non-BB PKB decice and when the user realizes that the PKB doesn't have the BlackBerry 'secret sauce' they bail.

Initial sales for the Droid line with PKBs were good, but they aren't BlackBerry PKBS, and people know there's a difference, even if they can't articulate what the difference is.

Posted via CB10
    And that's why Motorola got sold and producing touch only devices?

I mean, you won't have nothing from BlackBerry in android device, apart from "minor security", as you'll have Google play services. Otherwise some other companies would have tried producing PKB smartphones. It is only logical.

Posted via CB10
    RyanGermann likes this.
    07-08-15 04:35 PM
    It seems that we're averaging a leak of some kind on this topic every couple of days. BlackBerry can't keep a lid on this for very much longer. What's next? Probably some poor BlackBerry employee caught out in the wild with his slider down. Or perhaps job listings for Android hardware engineers. Perhaps an online processor speed test of an unidentified BlackBerry device running Android. Or maybe John Chen riding in the back of a Google self-driving car.
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    07-08-15 04:53 PM
    There's a partnership with Google forming:

@evleaks: The Android-powered BlackBerry Venice slider infomation thread!-img_20150709_075846.png

androidsecured.com

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport | Been around the world, don't speak the language but workin' wide need no explainin'
    07-08-15 05:01 PM
    And that's why Motorola got sold and producing touch only devices?

I mean, you won't have nothing from BlackBerry in android device, apart from "minor security", as you'll have Google play services. Otherwise some other companies would have tried producing PKB smartphones. It is only logical.
    No, 'oversimplification' is not 'logic'.

The Droid devices were successful in their time. They are not now.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 05:05 PM
    No, 'oversimplification' is not 'logic'.

The Droid devices were successful in their time. They are not now.

Posted via CB10
    Not successful enough to keep making them. Thus, why all of a sudden presence of android on BlackBerry device will be a huge gamechanger in a long run. 'cause no one means short term income, right?

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 05:34 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150709_075846.png 
Views:	1906 
Size:	566.0 KB 
ID:	361567

androidsecured.com

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport | Been around the world, don't speak the language but workin' wide need no explainin'
    Isn't that just the BES side?

This isn't news is it?
    07-09-15 04:01 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150709_075846.png 
Views:	1906 
Size:	566.0 KB 
ID:	361567

androidsecured.com

Apparently there's two websites purchased by BlackBerry according to GSM Arena: http://flip.it/qbx22

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-10-15 08:55 AM
    Yellow-greenBerry phones may be badge-engineered handsets ( like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...eered_vehicles ), I suppose.

BlackBerry to roll out Android-based smartphones in 2H15, say sources

Daniel Shen, Taipei; Steve Shen, DIGITIMES [Thursday 9 July 2015]

BlackBerry reportedly plans to roll out multiple models of Android-based smartphones in the second half of 2015, with Taiwan-based handset ODMs, including Foxconn Electronics, Compal Electronics and Wistron serving as production partners, according to sources at Taiwan's handset supply chain.

While running on Android OS, the new BlackBerry smartphones will also integrate some software functions of BlackBerry OS and application services such as BES12, BBM and BlackBerry Blend, said the sources.

To enhance the competitiveness of its hardware products, BlackBerry has expanded the list of its hardware partners to include Compal Electronics and Wistron in addition to the previous partner Foxconn, the sources added.

The roll-out of Android-based BlackBerry phones is unlikely to result in losses at BlackBerry since these Taiwan-based ODMs will be responsible for R&D, marketing and channel distribution expenses, indicated the sources.

Since BlackBerry still enjoys a high brand image in a number of markets, the BlackBerry-ODM partnerships might be able to ramp up overall shipments of BlackBerry phones and therefore boosting the value of BlackBerry's hardware business unit, commented the sources.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 03:20 AM
    you talk like he got this big empire that was selling millions and borught it to the floor

when he received blackberry, it was on deathsdoor
    Yes. When John Chen took over BlackBerry, we aren't quite sure when that happened as Thor disappeared before the official Board vote, BlackBerry was selling far more devices than it is now. Furthermore, it had a cutting-edge platform, which has stalled under Chen, and the foundation in both development and sales strategy had been laid for BES12. Chen has moved some MDM software sales, but they are basically upgrades from firms already sold under Mike L. or Thor. Chen has done little more than shrink the company's development capacity and it's influence throughout its markets. Compare Thor's unveiling of BB10/Z10 with JC's sad launch of the Passport (a device which truly deserved to be launched under Thor) and you'll see what I mean. I remember when the world reported on BlackBerry's announcements at BlackBerry World. But, Chen cancelled those and now the only real news reports that discuss BlackBerry in mobile are interviews with Chen in which he fails to even try to make a case for BB10...

Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 11:13 AM
    You can't blame John Chen for the continued decline in hardware sales because the fact that BlackBerry doesn't have a competitive platform isn't his fault. As legacy users, including enterprise customers, jump ship the sales of new handsets declines. Even if he had adopted Android from day 1 the handsets would have take a year to develop and would still be undifferentiated.
    07-11-15 11:25 AM
    You can't blame John Chen for the continued decline in hardware sales because the fact that BlackBerry doesn't have a competitive platform isn't his fault. As legacy users, including enterprise customers, jump ship the sales of new handsets declines. Even if he had adopted Android from day 1 the handsets would have take a year to develop and would still be undifferentiated.
    Actually he killed off a lot of in development projects, keeping only the Passport, and then pushed the Classic and Leap through as his contributions. So everything released under him is selling and has sold poorly. The Classic is a failure as it did not bring in all these BBOS users as he claimed it would. The Leap isn't bringing in new customers, or keeping existing all touch ones from defecting so it too is trending to be a failure.

Posted via Z30
    eyesopen1111 and missing_K-W like this.
    07-11-15 12:20 PM
    I really hope they give us a BB10 option in ShopBlackBerry this was supposed to be the high end all touch BB10 phone. If its only Android that will be depressing
    07-11-15 06:10 PM
    Chen is just ok. That's about it! Not good. Not great. Not bad. Just ok.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 09:15 PM
    There is no BlackBerry android device.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 11:16 PM
    Switching to Android would be right up John Chen's alley in terms of strategy. The Passport wasn't killed off because it was too far along so that means that the other potential BlackBerry handsets were due to launch at least six months to a year after the Passport. Yes, he could have chosen another traditional full-scale launch and risked yet another billion-dollar write-down which would have definitely sunk the company. Instead, he has chosen low-risk low-reward hardware launches that have not quite broken even.

Now he's going to jettison the OS and outsource pretty much all of the hardware operations to Android device makers. A no-risk no-reward hardware strategy. What Microsoft is doing only validates this decision. There is no room for third nor fourth place in the platform wars. You can't have smartphones that just do communications anymore.

Actually he killed off a lot of in development projects, keeping only the Passport, and then pushed the Classic and Leap through as his contributions. So everything released under him is selling and has sold poorly. The Classic is a failure as it did not bring in all these BBOS users as he claimed it would. The Leap isn't bringing in new customers, or keeping existing all touch ones from defecting so it too is trending to be a failure.
    ruhban likes this.
    07-12-15 01:05 AM
    What Microsoft is doing only validates this decision. There is no room for third nor fourth place in the platform wars. You can't have smartphones that just do communications anymore.
    With MS and BlackBerry both scaling back their phone business, leading to who knows what down the road, a duopoly would leave us with very limited choices. We can only hope that at least one third party OS survives, though I'd rather have way more than 3 options.
    its Steve likes this.
    07-12-15 09:55 AM
    Chen is just ok. That's about it! Not good. Not great. Not bad. Just ok.

Posted via CB10
    Why? Is it because he's doing things that can be monetary for a brand that needs to increase revenue versus things hard core users want? I'm not defending him, just curious.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-15 04:28 PM
    With MS and BlackBerry both scaling back their phone business, leading to who knows what down the road, a duopoly would leave us with very limited choices. We can only hope that at least one third party OS survives, though I'd rather have way more than 3 options.
    I�m not sure whether the Slider will work or whether those interested in BlackBerry's hub-centered approach will access it through the BlackBerry Experience software for iOS or some other Android device, all of which should be available later this year.

But I just don�t know about the non-duopoly OSes because I�ve had Maemo, Meego, and BB10, and they just don�t survive very long.
    07-12-15 05:40 PM
    Too vague for me to come to that conclusion, but fair enough
    Attachment 361533

Personally bearing in mind that they will usually test multiple devices with multiple OS's too wouldn't take this as standard for all

Check Out TechCraze
    So if it exists, it will be full of security holes.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-15 06:32 AM
    So if it exists, it will be full of security holes.

Posted via CB10
    All this talk about lack of security with Android. If that was on people's priority list. BlackBerry would be #1 in every facet of Government, Enterprise and consumer mobile markets. The reality is they're not and only certain sectors of the Government and IT BIG, want low grade fleet phones that focus on securing communications for their employees.

The rest of the world want an IT administrative product to manage multiple mobile platforms i.e. BES12 and the ability to B.Y.O.D or have their employees order any device within a corporate handset list.

I for one hope BlackBerry has worked these partnerships with Samsung and Google, so they can bring to market a relevant/ refreshing Android device in order to reinsert themselves into the consumer market. There will always be a need for BB10 but the OS needs to be tailored solely for secure communications for market sectors that hold security as there #1 priority. This will also reduce the manufacturing cost related to BB10 OS.

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    ayngling likes this.
    07-13-15 09:14 AM
350 ... 89101112 ...