The only reason any of these latest BB10s have been exclusive is because no other carrier agrees to carry them.

However, saying that the slider is 'AT&T bound' is not the same as saying that it will be an exclusive.
    The first condition a carrier will have when adopting a new phone is an exclusivity period. They want to ensure that any marketing that they do for the phone results in a sale for them, not for one of their competitors. The carriers are taking a risk on a new phone. AT&T wants someone on Verizon to see the new slider and switch carriers.
    07-06-15 09:54 AM
    I don't get why so many people keep saying that. What are they going to jump to? Apart from any other Android devices, they only have the option of iOS (yawn) or Windows Phone which will feel like a bigger downgrade from BB10 than the BB10 version of Android.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly, so anyone saying if BlackBerry go the way if android I'm gone.. well, to what? As far as I have read and no its not representative, there are not many ios fans here.. so anyone considering jumping ship, will think twice as they might as well stay with BlackBerry if they are running to an android they might have already gone to.

Plus I imagine the customisation tha blackberry add will be awesome.

Blackberry turning to full android seems like a win win to me. From the point of view of current blackberry users, and Android users that like to try the other Android devices. This one might hook them in if it is different enough from the other androids.

Posted via CB10
    early2bed and ruhban like this.
    07-06-15 10:14 AM
    'The Venice is expected to come in two versions: one running Android and one that perserveres with the beleagured BlackBerry 10 OS.*'

I have no idea which hat this rumour was pulled out of but here is an article posted today from a website I have never heard of lol. But anyway, worth a read for anything Venice related I guess

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/mobil...ive-blackberry

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 11:27 AM
    Yes that's reskining of Android default UI and it only brings more lag on top of already laggy environment.

Let me explain you in casual terms why Android UI lags even with octa-core CPUs and why it would probably still lag even if you run it on desktop CPU.

When it comes to UI fidelity operating systems that we use such as Windows, OSX, iOS and yes even BB10 actually prebuffer all the possible animations and transitions on the displayed screen or window in desktop cases. That means if something is scrollable or zoomable (not sure if those are real words at all) on the current screen OS will be ready to do such thing cause it already "cached" it even before you do it.

But not Android. Android waits for user input and then calls animation and what not so result is lag and stuttering.

It's not really so simple as that but for layman's terms it's good enough to understand what goin on underneath the GUI.
    Interesting....I wasn't aware graphical display elements were being cached/preloaded. So if that's the case and Android architecture can't be manipulated, would a better GPU chip set or additional RAM help offset this caching effect? It's great that the Slider is coming with Octa-cores but I haven't seen any reference to its GPU stats.

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    07-06-15 11:40 AM
    'The Venice is expected to come in two versions: one running Android and one that perserveres with the beleagured BlackBerry 10 OS.*'

I have no idea which hat this rumour was pulled out of but here is an article posted today from a website I have never heard of lol. But anyway, worth a read for anything Venice related I guess

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/mobil...ive-blackberry

Posted via CB10
    Wouldn't surprise me at all! In fact, one of my earlier post in this thread laid out the exact scenario. Placing BB10 devices and OS as a low cost device with secure OS for high level Government and Enterprise that deem secure communications as their #1 priority. Then having Android re-skinned for lack of a better term, to support all other market segments that don't have security at the top of their priority list, but value apps and hardware.

I think the strategy if implemented correctly would breath new life into BlackBerry. I for one am excited to see what's to actually come out of these rumors. I love BB10 but security for me isn't a #1 focus, I want my phone to be secure but not at the expense of inadequate app development, customization and media integration. If you can give me the BB10 communication experience i.e. the hub, BBM, gesture based operation, on top of Android hardware, customization, GP services and a mature app store......that's a win win in my books!

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    amjass12 and EuthanasiaUK like this.
    07-06-15 12:00 PM
    Interesting....I wasn't aware graphical display elements were being cached/preloaded. So if that's the case and Android architecture can't be manipulated, would a better GPU chip set or additional RAM help offset this caching effect? It's great that the Slider is coming with Octa-cores but I haven't seen any reference to its GPU stats.

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    The article linked in the post above yours said the GPU was rumored to be an Adreno 418. Very interesting...
    07-06-15 12:14 PM
    There are a few elephants in the room and we need to talk about it.

1. This is the first true gimmick phone. The slider is a horrible idea ergonomically, lets not kid ourselves. I don't need the phone in hand to know that a device that long is a bad fit to add a slider to the bottom. This is imo a way for other Android users to approach you about your device being a BlackBerry, and you would respond by pulling down the slider for a moment but not ever again in real use. The Storm kind of was, but it had a real practical everyday use. Most if us are fine with this because we intend to use the device as a touch screen. Blackberry has shown to be a very innovative company as it pertains to hardware. In fact, the most innovative. Storm, Passport, and this will be technological milestones. But this is the 1st true gimmick imo.

2. There is a strong chance that Blackberry really needed to move to android because of the possible limit of Android Runtime. If it is true that they can't get runtime to KitKat, we would be counting down the updated apps that we can't use, till the point that we lose trust in it altogether. That App gap savior we had would be gone. The Android Runtime does not sound like it was ever a long term solution. I think it may be possible that they learned to run Android over BB10, so that the security would be at the root of the device. They just need to secure the apps like they did with runtime. So in that perspective, I embrace the change. I just hope it has the same gestures, hub, and the ability to keep apps running even after they are parked.

3. The amount of current Android users who are interested in a reliable business device still dwarf the number of current BlackBerry users. Even if the faithful got pissed and left, I would bet serious business minded users would trust Blackberry over Samsung for a business device, si long as specs being somewhat equal. Some people just don't like the closed Apple ecosystem.

For Blackberry to do what they are doing now and not later makes a lot of sense. They can't afford to lose Android apps at this point due to the current bb10 developer exodus. Again, no that we had that many. We all know that the window BlackBerry had to bring a new OS to market was missed. But I am happy they found QNX, and it sounds like QNX will still have a role. I am just worried about B A T T E R Y life.

There is also a chance that none if this is true and that they are just looking to increase market share by also making Android devices.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 01:07 PM

Blackberry turning to full android seems like a win win to me. From the point of view of current blackberry users, and Android users that like to try the other Android devices. This one might hook them in if it is different enough from the other androids.

Posted via CB10
    I feel exactly the same and I'm sure there's many of us current BlackBerry users and potential future users that feel exactly the same. And who knows, maybe once they're hooked in we can go back to BB10 where it's in a state that it'll actually be supported by millions of developers!

Posted via CB10
    amjass12 and Z30Commission like this.
    07-06-15 01:41 PM
    I feel exactly the same and I'm sure there's many of us current BlackBerry users and potential future users that feel exactly the same. And who knows, maybe once they're hooked in we can go back to BB10 where it's in a state that it'll actually be supported by millions of developers!

Posted via CB10
    Blackberry hardware running android? I'd either stay with Passport or buy an iPhone. Either way Chen has completely cooked the goose. Bankruptcy.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 03:54 PM
    Wow, 11 pages of an "info" thread about a phone we have zero solid info about. People analyzing the piece of cardboard Chen held up and a bunch of MS Paint mockups.

Never change, Crackberry.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 04:21 PM
    If I wanted an android phone I'd buy a Samsung. Why would I ever want a BlackBerry phone running android? Males no logical sense to me.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 04:57 PM
    If I wanted an android phone I'd buy a Samsung. Why would I ever want a BlackBerry phone running android? Males no logical sense to me.
    Because soon you may find yourself in a situation where there will be no more BB10 phones to go to. If that happens, you will have a choice to buy iOS, Android, Windows, ..., or an Android with some BlackBerry touches (e.g., Hub, KB, Security, etc.). I am not sure about you, but I will surely go with the last one!
    ruhban likes this.
    07-06-15 07:00 PM
    As long as this phone (if it's true) retains the hub (I've been really been spoiled by it and dislike using different apps for emails, texts, and notifications now), and can somehow be as fluid and smooth as HTC's skinned devices then I'm all for it.
    ruhban likes this.
    07-06-15 07:24 PM
    Can BlackBerry lower itself?

Posted via CB10
    Not regarding sales at least.
    07-06-15 08:20 PM
    It would be cool if there were an Android OS launcher and a BlackBerry OS launcher on this device so you can switch between both. Most BlackBerry users are with BlackBerry because of the OS not the devices

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-06-15 08:57 PM
    I believe the picture leaked by @evleaks is a concept picture of sorts. It could be that this device was presented as a new idea for bringing BlackBerry physical functionality together with Android support. The device could very well be Android, but the final product would likely be skinned. Also, many of the niche devices get made into Google Edition devices too. The original HTC One got this treatment. It wasn't selling quite like the Galaxy phones but there was a significant following due to it's front speakers and metal body. Google took the opportunity to rip the skin off and run pure Android, which resulted in faster performance and frequent updates. The same could be going on with the Slider. We coould get a skinned one that require we wait for BlackBerry to develop the new updates and release through carriers. And then a vanilla one that would get the newest Android versions with the Nexus devices. This could even allow Blackberry to push out updates for the skinned phones more quickly as the rollout load would be slightly lighter.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 10:15 PM
    To me, the idea of the Slider just puts BlackBerry users back into choosing between the iOS vs Android duopoly, with a very few of our friendly Windows Phone weirdos thrown in for good measure, lol. My guess is that most abandoned BB10 users will go iOS because you get Google apps with iOS plus better security/privacy, better app store, better customer support, excellent hardware, and all the other reasons Apple is earning over 90% of all the profits made in smartphones.

If the rumored specs are to be believed, the Slider will be a high-end Android phablet. I still have my Z30 and Z10, both of which I kept after trading in my rooted, modded, customized HTC One, which was a great phone. Like many on Crackberry, I came for BB10.

But now I�ve also got a customized, jailbroken 64 gig iPhone 6+ on iOS 8.4 that is an absolute beast and this year's iPhone upgrades will be predictably better. I love high-end Androids for pushing tech development and for keeping Apple somewhat honest, but let me tell you, Apple is very, very hard to beat right now, especially jailbroken and customized. BlackBerry's Slider phablet will be in direct competition with the new iPhone 6+. Pkb vs all-touch. I can�t wait to see the head-to-head comparisons.
    LazyEvul likes this.
    07-06-15 10:38 PM
    Samsung seems to have significantly underestimated the demand for the Galaxy S6 Edge vs their other models and is having to ramp up production of the curved screen Edge. Does that mean that Blackberry might not get screens for the Slider on schedule?
    According to a person familiar with the matter, the company initially expected to sell four Galaxy S6 smartphones for each Galaxy S6 Edge that it sold, and set up its production facilities accordingly. Instead, demand was much likely closer to even for the two devices, the person said.

That led to a glut of unsold Galaxy S6 devices—particularly white-colored devices—and not enough Galaxy S6 Edge smartphones, the person said.

In April, just two days before the Galaxy S6 and its companion device became available in stores, Samsung’s mobile chief J.K. Shin pledged to boost production of the curved-screen Galaxy S6 Edge to meet demand, citing evidence of supply constraints.

In late April, executives said on a conference call with analysts that the company would be able to meet demand by the end of June.

Since then, the company has reconfigured its manufacturing operations, which are concentrated in Vietnam, to be able to produce as many Galaxy S6 Edge devices as the market demands, according to the person, who says that sales and profit figures could pick up again in the third and fourth quarter of the year.
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/samsung-...ine-1436227146
    Last edited by early2bed; 07-07-15 at 12:13 AM.
    07-07-15 12:00 AM
    I keep hearing about these Chinese manufacturers but the thing is who actually buys them? I'd go as far as saying they're even rarer than our very own BlackBerrys in countries other than China. Only the Chinese buy them. I certainly wouldn't buy one. Would you consider one?

Posted via CB10
    Ever heard of the OnePlus One? Amazing phone.
    07-07-15 10:12 AM
    07-07-15 10:35 AM
    Because soon you may find yourself in a situation where there will be no more BB10 phones to go to. If that happens, you will have a choice to buy iOS, Android, Windows, ..., or an Android with some BlackBerry touches (e.g., Hub, KB, Security, etc.). I am not sure about you, but I will surely go with the last one!
    Or you know some real alternatives like Jolla/Ubuntu/Firefox which I'll personally prefer over android-blackberry.
    RyanGermann likes this.
    07-07-15 05:59 PM
    This guy sounds legit to me, which would mean that full on Android with Google Play services seems to be a �Go.� I was surprised to hear that there was no hub, but that may be because the BlackBerry Experience for Android is not ready yet.

Some die-hard PKB Android fans seem to already be chomping at the bit about the BlackBerry Slider, which has to be music to Chen's ears! The lightness of the device and reports of poor battery life are worrisome, but let's hope there is no repeat of the Z10 poor battery life fiasco. At least the witness said it was thin and light, which are the styles nowadays. The reports of buggy-ness are forgivable at this point, so long as they get worked out pre-launch.

Let's hope that Crackberry gets its own leaks so we can get more intel and maybe a pic or two. The Slider prototypes/early builds are out there. NDAs be damned, let's go find one!!
    LazyEvul likes this.
    07-07-15 06:58 PM
    This guy sounds legit to me, which would mean that full on Android with Google Play services seems to be a �Go.� I was surprised to hear that there was no hub, but that may be because the BlackBerry Experience for Android is not ready yet.

Some die-hard PKB Android fans seem to already be chomping at the bit about the BlackBerry Slider, which has to be music to Chen's ears! The lightness of the device and reports of poor battery life are worrisome, but let's hope there is no repeat of the Z10 poor battery life fiasco. At least the witness said it was thin and light, which are the styles nowadays. The reports of buggy-ness are forgivable at this point, so long as they get worked out pre-launch.

Let's hope that Crackberry gets its own leaks so we can get more intel and maybe a pic or two. The Slider prototypes/early builds are out there. NDAs be damned, let's go find one!!
    Interesting read indeed and also not surprising to hear of demo devices floating around. I really hope BlackBerry is successful in running a BlackBerry oriented Android skin and or services on such a robust device. As a device with these suggested specifications, would truly encapsulate the best of BlackBerry unified communications and Android customization. Which is not only what the consumer markets are asking for but "prosumers" are as well.

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    07-08-15 10:56 AM
    Could anyone tell me, how is it going to sell being an android, when people don't really know about non- android devices?

And with little to no mass market appeal of the brand?

Just curious.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 01:49 PM

Too vague for me to come to that conclusion, but fair enough
    @evleaks: The Android-powered BlackBerry Venice slider infomation thread!-img_20150708_201551.png

Personally bearing in mind that they will usually test multiple devices with multiple OS's too wouldn't take this as standard for all

Check Out TechCraze
    07-08-15 02:19 PM
350 ... 7891011 ...