The only thing that is suspicious about that render is that there is no BBM icon. If blackberry was going to release a press image of their android device they would not leave out BBM from the home screen.
    07-05-15 07:45 AM
    I hope that whatever BlackBerry releases becomes enough of a success that it generates enough income to sustain the company.

If it takes an android handset to turn this company around, so be it. I'll stick to my bb10 phones until the next generation bb10 phones come out. If no other bb10s come out then I'll just have to re evaluate my options and move on.

Life is too short to get hung up on these things. Let's keep moving forward.

Passport

Edit: if BlackBerry was making a phone with ios... lol
    Last edited by J Quimson; 07-05-15 at 08:35 AM.
    07-05-15 08:07 AM
    Most likely what will happen is that BlackBerry will offer their Android app suites on their Android device and that's about it.
    Of course you will have to go to into settings to make them default cause due to legal obligations BlackBerry nor anyone else is allowed to override Google apps from the factory.
    I'm not sure we're talking to the same changes needing to be made for a BlackBerry Android oriented device. I'm not well verse in the Android OS, never actually used Android at all (BlackBerry for Life! but I'm definitely under the impression, that several manufacturers have created different variants of the Android OS. Samsung being one of the primary manufacturers making substantial changes to Android over the years to differentiate itself from Google's standard and others running Android.

Did a quick Google search and here's the type of changes needing to be made and that I'm referring too.

Source : http://www.greenbot.com/article/2466...-the-best.html

This article implies there is definitely heavy customization being done to Android by manufacturers. I don't believe BlackBerry would be any different with the exception being changes are BB10 element related i.e. The Hub, BlackBerry VKB, better BBM integration and of course more gesture based operation. Core Android OS customization and services like Google Play Services as well as its app store, will always have to remain the same. Nor would someone looking to have those Android services want anything to change anyway.

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    07-05-15 09:21 AM
    The slider they showed off earlier in the year on stage was not running android, you could see the BB10 phone/search/camera icons at the bottome of the screen. So does this mean there will be two versions of the slider? Or was the earlier reveal just a smokescreen?
    All of the close images I saw made it look like it was running a BB10 transparency with a back light. Fancy dummy unit. Vaporware. The fact that they didn't show it long, combined with all of Chen's actions since then, aren't giving me much hope.

Posted via Z30
    07-05-15 09:31 AM
    I see this as a flagship Android device with a physical keyboard, that will have great productivity apps and high-end specs.

I think too many are underestimating the Android and PKB combination here.

Blackberry can then license those productivity apps like hub and keyboard to other manufacturers like Samsung for revenue through other Android devices.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-15 01:02 PM
    You are living of the past.

Those 2 guys are the reason tha BB devices are on the brink of death...yet u want to bring one fo them back. You are naive and ilogic
    Mike L. invented the BlackBerry. He sold a lot of them. He built BlackBerry into the most valuable company in Canada with a share price of $200+.

He also failed to see the need to compete in the consumer or prosumer market. But, his long term vision for doing so was pretty damn good.

He offered to bring with him Qualcomm, a partnership that would give BlackBerry huge advantages in hardware.

No, there's only one CEO really responsible for the horrible device sales this last year, and his name is John Chen. Chen is quite possibly the worst CEO in tech. Yes, I'd choose Mike L. over Chen. But that's obvious. I'd choose just about anyone over John Chen who has destroyed much, built little, and sold even less.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-15 02:53 PM
    Mike L. invented the BlackBerry. He sold a lot of them. He built BlackBerry into the most valuable company in Canada with a share price of $200+.

He also failed to see the need to compete in the consumer or prosumer market. But, his long term vision for doing so was pretty damn good.

He offered to bring with him Qualcomm, a partnership that would give BlackBerry huge advantages in hardware.

No, there's only one CEO really responsible for the horrible device sales this last year, and his name is John Chen. Chen is quite possibly the worst CEO in tech. Yes, I'd choose Mike L. over Chen. But that's obvious. I'd choose just about anyone over John Chen who has destroyed much, built little, and sold even less.

Posted via CB10

you talk like he got this big empire that was selling millions and borught it to the floor

when he received blackberry, it was on deathsdoor
    07-05-15 03:04 PM
    I seriously don't think switching to android will save them. There are so many failing Android companies and now the Chinese are flooding the market with cheap high quality android phones, even samsung is in trouble. It looks like the future of Blackberry is to be acquired when the stock is cheap enough. The question is who? Amazon maybe? They are the only big tech company that doesn't have it's own platform and their android fork (firephone) was a failure.
    07-05-15 03:28 PM
    If the slider is made in 2 versions, one android and one bb10 then great I'll be getting the bb10 version, if it's android then I give up, I'll stick wiith my passport until maybe windows 10 mobile is polished!

Posted via CB10
    07-05-15 04:04 PM
    I keep hearing about these Chinese manufacturers but the thing is who actually buys them? I'd go as far as saying they're even rarer than our very own BlackBerrys in countries other than China. Only the Chinese buy them. I certainly wouldn't buy one. Would you consider one?

Posted via CB10
    jmr1015 likes this.
    07-05-15 04:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    Genius you are. When john got this company the share price was $8 ish and company was making cash loss. Now company isnt burning on its cash reserves. Give him time.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-15 05:09 PM
    I certainly wouldn't buy one. Would you consider one?

Posted via CB10
    I wouldn't and you wouldn't, but we live in North America and Western Europe.
    ruhban likes this.
    07-05-15 05:17 PM
    This is what i think john chen might do, release android phone secured with BES or BIS. Iike BIS, he will charge bes/bis from everyone who wants to secure their android phone. This way people will get a secure android with keyboard.
    Unfortunately us crackberry users dont account for even. 1% of market share. For john, he needs to get 5-10% market share and for that he needs either android or google backed bb10 os.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-15 05:23 PM
    This is what i think john chen might do, release android phone secured with BES or BIS. Iike BIS, he will charge bes/bis from everyone who wants to secure their android phone. This way people will get a secure android with keyboard.
    Unfortunately us crackberry users dont account for even. 1% of market share. For john, he needs to get 5-10% market share and for that he needs either android or google backed bb10 os.

Posted via CB10
    Hmm, if they could provide a BIS like service with compressed data for travel,.. then I could see that being something palatable. If they could get back half of that $5 monthly BIS fee that kept them afloat,.. that would be nice.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-15 05:26 PM
    I wouldn't and you wouldn't, but we live in North America and Western Europe.
    But these are key markets for higher end flagships. Isn't that where the money's at?

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 12:01 AM

Posted via CB10
    I literally had the same thought earlier on. The BIS part. Maybe he's thinking of it too, eh?

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 12:03 AM
    But these are key markets for higher end flagships. Isn't that where the money's at?

Posted via CB10
    Xiaomi seems to be making the big bucks...
    07-06-15 12:09 AM
    Companies don't actually make a lot of money on flagships. They make money in mid tier and low end devices.

The flagships are there to keep them competitive and keep their name on the news.

Work Wide and Prosper
    07-06-15 12:16 AM
    I literally had the same thought earlier on. The BIS part. Maybe he's thinking of it too, eh?

Posted via CB10
    I think he thought about it. No other way to secure android. And if he is able to sell 10 million units a year with one time subscription fee charged @ time of sale for BIS then it wil generate cash.
    Also he once said he wants hub in android and ios. So that is very much possible. And physical keyboard will be very promising for businesses as their employees need secure phone and fast efficient as well

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 01:03 AM
    I'll buy it because it'll be a new gadget,.. but mostly out of curiosity (like how I bought the Passport).

I don't get why people here are so quick to close the door. Let's see what BlackBerry can do here.

Posted via CB10
    Because its android. There's only so much you can do with android. Sony, samsung, HTC, and all the other hundred of handset makers all put their little twist on android but in the end of the day it's only so much of a difference

Posted via CB10
    cbosdell likes this.
    07-06-15 02:21 AM
    I agree with you. OS10.xx is a superior OS, but looks like mass market is just not receptive to even trying it simply because of lack of Apps.
    Blackberry brags about being able to run Android apps, but try changing any permission settings on any Android app loaded from Amazon.
    They are all greyed out.
    07-06-15 04:07 AM
    I'm not sure we're talking to the same changes needing to be made for a BlackBerry Android oriented device. I'm not well verse in the Android OS, never actually used Android at all (BlackBerry for Life! but I'm definitely under the impression, that several manufacturers have created different variants of the Android OS. Samsung being one of the primary manufacturers making substantial changes to Android over the years to differentiate itself from Google's standard and others running Android.

Did a quick Google search and here's the type of changes needing to be made and that I'm referring too.

Source : http://www.greenbot.com/article/2466...-the-best.html

This article implies there is definitely heavy customization being done to Android by manufacturers. I don't believe BlackBerry would be any different with the exception being changes are BB10 element related i.e. The Hub, BlackBerry VKB, better BBM integration and of course more gesture based operation. Core Android OS customization and services like Google Play Services as well as its app store, will always have to remain the same. Nor would someone looking to have those Android services want anything to change anyway.

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    Yes that's reskining of Android default UI and it only brings more lag on top of already laggy environment.

Let me explain you in casual terms why Android UI lags even with octa-core CPUs and why it would probably still lag even if you run it on desktop CPU.

When it comes to UI fidelity operating systems that we use such as Windows, OSX, iOS and yes even BB10 actually prebuffer all the possible animations and transitions on the displayed screen or window in desktop cases. That means if something is scrollable or zoomable (not sure if those are real words at all) on the current screen OS will be ready to do such thing cause it already "cached" it even before you do it.

But not Android. Android waits for user input and then calls animation and what not so result is lag and stuttering.

It's not really so simple as that but for layman's terms it's good enough to understand what goin on underneath the GUI.
    07-06-15 06:16 AM
    if this could happen I hope there still hub and the shortcuts of virtual keyboard..
    But ill leave BlackBerry if they use android o.s for they nxt coming device.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 08:31 AM
    if this could happen I hope there still hub and the shortcuts of virtual keyboard..
    But ill leave BlackBerry if they use android o.s for they nxt coming device.

Posted via CB10
    people that would have considered jumping ship to android if they were getting bored of bb10 might as well use android on a blackberry if it has things like the hub... its a good wat of keeping those customers at least.
    07-06-15 08:51 AM
    people that would have considered jumping ship to android if they were getting bored of bb10 might as well use android on a blackberry if it has things like the hub... its a good wat of keeping those customers at least.
    I don't get why so many people keep saying that. What are they going to jump to? Apart from any other Android devices, they only have the option of iOS (yawn) or Windows Phone which will feel like a bigger downgrade from BB10 than the BB10 version of Android.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 09:49 AM
350 ... 678910 ...