Maybe someone from BlackBerry will chime in to let us know if this slider android BlackBerry is for real or not!

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2339
    Not gonna happen

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2339 | CB Mod
    07-03-15 10:49 PM
    If I were a betting man, I'd wager that the Venice render is real. It's a bit too elaborate for a fake render. You couldn't just slap an Android screenshot on existing material, you'd have to create the whole thing from scratch. Plus, it had to come from sources trusted by one of the most accurate leakers in the industry.

The question in my mind is whether or not it's been greenlit - it's clear to me that they're very seriously considering Android, but until we hear something official, it's tough to say with certainty what they'll do. The information may be accurate right now, but things can change behind the scenes.
    07-03-15 11:34 PM
    Now that I think about it I'd consider buying a Passport with Lollipop on it. It'd be a bit of a novelty, interesting product and would get so much attention in the street from average consumers.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-03-15 11:39 PM
    What if they could make it Android but with BB10 features?

07-03-15 11:46 PM
    The first peak showed call buttons at the bottom.. like a capacitive tool belt.. if it has no call/end button, I'm not interested

Posted via CB10
    07-03-15 11:55 PM
    The first peak showed call buttons at the bottom.. like a capacitive tool belt.. if it has no call/end button, I'm not interested

Posted via CB10
    I'm interested in why you believe you need one. I went from a Z10 to a Classic and if my next one (slider) has one or not, I'm not all that fussed. In fact, I'd rather not have it just to get that bit more display.

07-04-15 12:29 AM
    Okay, sorry to sound dumb here, but would it be remotely possible to have a BB10 phone that was able to use all Android apps.
    None of this side load stuff or Amazon, but full on access to all Android (Google Play).

Then take it one step further, either in a Passport (2nd generation) and bring out an all touch screen as well and ditch the slider concept.

Two high end BlackBerry phones, with genuine Android App access......wouldn't this be the perfect storm?????

Posted via CB10
    07-04-15 12:43 AM
    Okay, sorry to sound dumb here, but would it be remotely possible to have a BB10 phone that was able to use all Android apps.
    None of this side load stuff or Amazon, but full on access to all Android (Google Play).

Then take it one step further, either in a Passport (2nd generation) and bring out an all touch screen as well and ditch the slider concept.

Two high end BlackBerry phones, with genuine Android App access......wouldn't this be the perfect storm?????

Posted via CB10
    No

Posted from an ME173X
    07-04-15 01:20 AM
    Nothing is impossible

Posted via CB10
    07-04-15 01:27 AM
    Nothing is impossible

Posted via CB10
    Can you touch your nose using your tongue?

Posted from an ME173X
    07-04-15 01:31 AM
    Last ditch, methinks.

Not sure what to make of the rumours, but on the plus side:

1) BB10 hardware to date has generally been very poor (Passport aside). The rumoured device appears to at least utilise fairly modern hardware.

2) BB10 device sales are sinking at such a rate that BlackBerry might as well give this a shot.

3) With a new device, there's always a new opportunity to do things better than the last.

Assuming the slider has good hardware specifications and build quality, isn't priced to the point of ridiculousness and offers an Android OS without compromising on standout BB10 features, I'll buy one.

Then again, I am most certainly not your typical massmarket person... hence why I'm here.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-15 01:45 AM
    Can you touch your nose using your tongue?

Posted from an ME173X

Posted via CB10
    johnny_bravo72 likes this.
    07-04-15 02:24 AM

Posted via CB10
    Wow it is true nothing impossible...

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2339 | CB Mod
    astrodan13 likes this.
    07-04-15 02:28 AM
    It'll probably have sapphire glass like the iPhone was rumored to have...
    07-04-15 02:33 AM

Posted via CB10
    Wow! And I thought only Gene Simmons could pull that off.

Posted via C5303
    07-04-15 02:51 AM
    Ok, Mr. Chen did state he wasn't against an android device "IF" it could be made secure. Now this is a company that can't get 10.3.2 to all users do to carrier issues.

Do you think he has just got a magic wand to poof and make android secure?

Enough already.
    'if I can find a way to make it secure. And I 've not found it yet' (approximative wording, but the meaning is right)

So I can't believe such a turn-around could even exist in the near future.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-15 03:14 AM
    I would buy it only with bb10 skin and hub. Then that would be ideal. I keep my BlackBerry for productivity and email, this would solve me having to always carry two devices.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-15 04:48 AM
    Bullshi!t mate ! SONY and HTC are in trouble with sales and overpriced BB would be hit ?? no way ..... Each produced BB with android makes a new Apple user , RIP BlackBerry
    Sony and HTC "in trouble" still sell mountains of inventory and rake in tons of revenue, compared to BlackBerry and their BB10 devices. BlackBerry would love to be in Sony and HTCs level of "trouble"
    mornhavon and MO3iusONE like this.
    07-04-15 05:54 AM
    An Android-powered Slider would just put abandoned BB10 users back to choosing between the current duopoly of iOS vs Android, but going with iOS seems to get you access to excellent hardware, better privacy, better product support, and higher quality apps, including Google Play apps. And if Chen delivers on his promise of bringing the BlackBerry experience suite cross-platform to iOS and Android, then there'd be the Hub-based, swipe-driven UI that BB10 is known for whether former BB10 users were to choose Android or iOS.

And for those of us who don�t like Apple's walled garden approach, the iOS jail-breaking community had an effective jailbreak on the same day that the current iOS version (8.4) was released as well as jailbreaks for prior versions, so you don�t have to be restricted to the walled garden unless you want to be. Android is famous for giving users customization options, too, but we�ll have to see if Chen chooses to put the Slider on security lock-down as part of the product's mission.
    07-04-15 06:55 AM
    I'm interested in why you believe you need one. I went from a Z10 to a Classic and if my next one (slider) has one or not, I'm not all that fussed. In fact, I'd rather not have it just to get that bit more display.

Because I can't stand touching the screen to browse. I can't stand having to look at the screen to pinpoint the button to answer and end a call. They make use of the phone as a phone very quick and practical. This is why I'd also hope that the keyboard is like that of the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-15 07:30 AM
    Sony and HTC "in trouble" still sell mountains of inventory and rake in tons of revenue, compared to BlackBerry and their BB10 devices. BlackBerry would love to be in Sony and HTCs level of "trouble"
    HTC last earning report they made a profit of $11.5 Million. Quarter before that was $15.9 Million. BlackBerry made a profit of $28 Million in March, and a small lost last quarter. So Android isn't a cash cow as some have stated and may not give BlackBerry any more profit based on HTC's example.

Posted via Z30
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    07-04-15 09:42 AM
    HTC last earning report they made a profit of $11.5 Million. Quarter before that was $15.9 Million. BlackBerry made a profit of $28 Million in March, and a small lost last quarter. So Android isn't a cash cow as some have stated and may not give BlackBerry any more profit based on HTC's example.
    How much profit has BlackBerry been generating from hardware though? BlackBerry has lost billions of dollars from BB10 (without even factoring in "opportunity cost"), they only still exist as a company because of their other revenue sources. I don't think any Android manufacturers have lost anywhere near that amount of money because of Android.

I don't know if Android will save BB10 hardware, but it can't possibly do as poorly for them as BB10 has.
    guygardner73, Witmen and jmr1015 like this.
    07-04-15 10:17 AM
    The only way they can go ahead is with bb10 os and android integration. Regardless of how go bb10 is, it lacks eco system.
    With android bb and qwerty it will prove profitable but they will lose 'security' based customers.
    The only reason people dont buy bb is because they lack apps. Android lollipop if integrated with current OS (that can happen due to qnx) then not only people will get apps but a smooth OS.
    Android runtime issue is that is lags, doesnt run smooth, consumes battery like anything and is not hub integrated. If i run soundcloud, it makes my Q10 lag

Posted via CB10
    07-04-15 10:25 AM
    My only question would be what is special about BlackBerry hardware to put it above those already offered by Samsung, etc? Do they think it wise to try and compete in an already crowded android market?
    IMO BlackBerry 10 is great and only needs proper exposure. Something they have been very poor at. If this is true, I would truly find it strange.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-15 10:32 AM
    The only way they can go ahead is with bb10 os and android integration. Regardless of how go bb10 is, it lacks eco system.
    There is no realistic scenario where BB10 and Android with Google Play Services coexist on the same device. This has been explained countless times on these forums, the OHA rules forbid it and the rules haven't been bent/broken before (no, not even for Tizen).

If you weren't referring to Google Play Services, I'm not sure where they could get a better Android ecosystem from, they're already using Amazon.
    Thunderbuck and stevie_wonder like this.
    07-04-15 10:36 AM
350 ... 45678 ...