I hope to God they don't make a BlackBerry into an Droid, if they do then blackberry will be no more it will just be like all the other Droid phones

Posted via CB10
    tanzarian likes this.
    07-03-15 02:39 AM
    It just crossed my mind that what if (A BIG IF) Google asked BlackBerry to make a device.

BB has two unique points.
    1. Hardware level security - IMO this can't be produced here w/o BB OS. So ruled out.
    2. Unique design form factors + Keyboard - In this case, a Passport hardware with Full Android OS.

Like How Nexus lines are made. BB is just a hardware provider. Google may tout as best in productivity and bundle it together with Android for Work. Aimed for enterprises who don't care about security.

The keyboard patent is still with BB so no Typo kind of fiasco. Google with original Nexus and this keyboard phone aims the enterprises. One little hitch is the brand name 'BlackBerry' on it. Consumer negativity towards the brand name and in extreme cases some one hacks it and the media is all over it.

What BB gets in return. Not definitely Google Play because of OHA (Thanks Troy ). But Google can definitely make Google Apps (You Tube, G+, GMail, GDrive etc) available for BB10 platform.

Any thoughts, pitfalls?
    07-03-15 02:41 AM
    And BlackBerry Experience Suit can be on top as cherry who needs it!
    07-03-15 02:45 AM
    Yeah, I don't need any laggy android phones made by blackberry. And they will be laggy, trust me on this.

If I'm gonna buy android, I'm gonna buy something rootable so I can play with it.

I'll also buy a much better device for much lower money.

I will also probably buy a Jolla phone to play with, cause they're fun. Hopefully they make a second one with the correct bands so I can use it on my carrier.

So yeah, anything but a droidberry.

Work Wide and Prosper
    Allanon89 likes this.
    07-03-15 03:39 AM
    That's a bit of a 'no kidding' piece of info lol. Still 0 proof it actually is running Android as of yet. Just mounting rumors...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1026460

Posted via CB10
    07-03-15 03:45 AM
    P.S.

I do not believe that the slider in the right hand of Mr. Ron Louks was driven by Android.

http://berryflow.com/2015/03/blackbe...bled-keyboard/

@evleaks: The Android-powered BlackBerry Venice slider infomation thread!-blackberry-slider_kb-clean.jpg

@evleaks: The Android-powered BlackBerry Venice slider infomation thread!-mid_slider_keyboard.jpg
    Last edited by yhamaie; 07-03-15 at 11:46 AM.
    midnightdoom and sherlockhaze like this.
    07-03-15 04:04 AM
    BB, if its possible, should make a 10.4 an android bb10 OS. They have android runtime, they need to push playstore and google services to bb 10 along with hub interaction and running of android runtime as smooth as possible like it would mean you are using android on samsung.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-15 04:13 AM
    P.S.

I do not believe that the slider in the right hand of Mr. Ron Louks was driven by Android.

http://forums.crackberry.com/attachm..._ffspeaker.jpg

Attachment 360694

Attachment 360696
    Wow that's an incredible enhanced zoomed in image of the slider.

What's with the arrow and the black bar just on the search icon?

Posted via CB10
    07-03-15 05:52 AM
    Not exactly pumped for the idea. But I bet this is to grab the former blackberry users that went Android for the apps. I bet there are more of those than current users.

Posted via CB10
    Z30Commission likes this.
    07-03-15 05:53 AM
    I'm excited. I want a BlackBerry Android Device.
    07-03-15 07:22 AM
    I feel like I agree with you, but, then again. Microsoft who didn't put the runtime are now doing so...

They have more apps, but they too hit a ceiling.. and it could be argued that they over invested in luring the big names to their platform.

I would love if BlackBerry would manage some sort of cross platform development solution. But that would just be fantasy.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-15 07:28 AM
    I can't wait until the "Android was always the best choice" arguments start coming up and the "I've always liked Android" discussions start, especially from the people in here who live to flame every OS other than BB10.
    @evleaks: The Android-powered BlackBerry Venice slider infomation thread!-ob_5705f6_tumblr-m4lskc1l7q1rqa07ko1-500.gif
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-03-15 07:50 AM
    Android for those who can't get past the year 2001 perception of BlackBerry...BB10 for the rest of us.

Posted via CB10 app and BlackBerry Passport 
    Allanon89, mundo472 and gfondeur like this.
    07-03-15 07:57 AM
    So you want to switch to Android BlackBerry? Unlock the bootloader of PlayBook and let us use the device that you prematurely killed because of your bad marketing department just like you did now with BlackBerry 10 OS. Agencies and government usage is just an excuse. Just unlock it if you go full Android.
    gfondeur likes this.
    07-03-15 08:47 AM
    I would love a dual boot Android /BB10 phone. If that's what this slider is I'm in.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    07-03-15 08:55 AM
    Android for those who can't get past the year 2001 perception of BlackBerry...BB10 for the rest of us.

Posted via CB10 app and BlackBerry Passport 
    The problem is,.. the 'rest of us' cannot buy enough devices to maintain viable manufacturing agreements.

Even with all the folks here on CB talking about how they bought a Passport and then a Classic and then a red Passport,.. they barely moved any devices. At some point, their manufacturing partners will say... you're not ordering enough to pay for us to keep this production configuration just sitting around.

I don't quite understand why people can't see this. I like BB10, but... Not enough other people do.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL, MO3iusONE and 21stNow like this.
    07-03-15 08:58 AM
    AT&T? Not another Passport "exclusive" fiasco please.
    If BB makes Verizon devices, which can only be used on the Verizon network, I think Verizon better make a pretty strong commitment to publicize and actually move devices. If BB can't get that commitment from Verizon, then BB developing a Verizon-specific device is too big a risk to bear.

Verizon's been hostile to BB recently, so something's got to give.

Maybe Verizon will get a version that runs BB10: If it is a Verizon / GSM hybrid, that's the one I'll be ordering.

...but perhaps the big win here is: BB develops a custom version of Android that leverages the hardware security properly... AND MAKES IT AVAILABLE AS AN OPTION FOR ALL BB10 DEVICES: Instantly all BB10 devices become "Android devices" but have the BBUX skin. Maybe it can even run BB10 apps in a VM on Android. That would breathe new life into a lot of "drawered" BB10 devices. Yes, I know that older BB devices run BB10 fine, but would probably be very laggy running Android, but them's the breaks.

Personally, I'd stick with BB10 until such time that BBUX Android has advanced significantly, but one day I might "change" (not "upgrade") my Z30 to BBUXAndroid.
    07-03-15 09:02 AM
    07-03-15 09:38 AM
    Looks pretty slick,.. if you are a true gadget enthusiast then you have to admit this would be hard to pass up.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-03-15 09:41 AM
    Looks like the keyboard/speaker bit isn't flush with the screen.
    Makes it look odd, if you want to use it as an all-touch phone.
    07-03-15 09:48 AM
    So here is my problem with a slider.

When the keyboard is tucked in, is there an on-screen keyboard? or do I have to slide out the keyboard? The keyboard will only slide out when using the phone in portrait mode, so what happens when you're using your device in landscape mode? Use the on screen keyboard? Lastly the physical mechanics for the sliding device will take away real estate space for the battery. I should suspect the battery life to suffer because of this. My last point, when the keyboard is out, that's a massive device... I think these devices are prone to hardware failures more so then their one piece counter parts...

I still don't understand the android as the OS, if I want a Android device, I'm buying a Samsung, not a BlackBerry. Remember when Microsoft first came out with their surface tablets, in both Windows RT and Window editions, confused the hell out of customers, and sales reflected that... If BlackBerry comes out with a Android device, it will be a joint effort with Samsung to some degree. If there is a Android on the market with the name Samsung, it will sell. If the name of the front, back and sides (you know how Blackberry likes to smear their logo everywhere) is BlackBerry this device is already a failure.
    07-03-15 09:55 AM
    This has absolutely no traces of BB10.
    07-03-15 10:08 AM
    One of the more frequent comments I get about my Passport is how they miss their keyboard from their BlackBerry a few years ago.

I think the killer feature on this would be the keyboard. There are definitely lots of users out there that would choose this over other Android clones only because of the pkb.

I am now seeing why they were dead serious with the whole typo case!

Posted via CB10
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    07-03-15 10:08 AM
    I say do it.

They've got nothing left to lose..
    07-03-15 10:10 AM
    This has absolutely no traces of BB10.
    You summed up the whole device from 1 picture.

You wizard.
    gfondeur likes this.
    07-03-15 10:12 AM
350 12345 ...