This news came out last last year, but at the time I didn't think much of it:

Boeing turns to BlackBerry for help creating super-secret, self-destructing 'Black' smartphone | ZDNet

I'm thinking now that "a" phone will be released with NOT a plain vanilla android but a "secured" one.

Does that mean no google play services like the blackphone?

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/07/17...html?referrer=

If so, how does a hybrid BB10 / secured android (with no google play services) sound to you?

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 05:48 PM
    Isn't that already BlackBerry 10?
    "Hybrid BlackBerry 10 / android with no play services"

Posted via CB10
    Stewartj1 and Fidel Mercado like this.
    07-26-15 05:51 PM
    Isn't that already BlackBerry 10?
    "Hybrid BlackBerry 10 / android with no play services"

Posted via CB10
    Ah but this switches between a full native bb10 and android experience rather than just a runtime.

Which also means android apps runs just as it doesn on any android phone rather than a "virtual" or "emulated" environment.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 05:58 PM
    BlackBerry currently has nothing in FIPS testing at the moment and neither does Certicom or any of the recently acquired companies. They will need to test any BlackBerry Android, and unlike BB10 it will be tied to specific hardware, unless BlackBerry uses the QNX Hypervisor running the approved crypto kernel and uses that to secure Android. If they were about to release a phone, it would be in testing, so it is a ways off or using the Hypervisor.

Posted via Z30
    07-26-15 09:32 PM
    BlackBerry currently has nothing in FIPS testing at the moment and neither does Certicom or any of the recently acquired companies. They will need to test any BlackBerry Android, and unlike BB10 it will be tied to specific hardware, unless BlackBerry uses the QNX Hypervisor running the approved crypto kernel and uses that to secure Android. If they were about to release a phone, it would be in testing, so it is a ways off or using the Hypervisor.

Posted via Z30
    So the slider will definitely be BB10 or using the hypervisor then? That would be good news to me.

Posted via CB10
    markus2107 and Allanon89 like this.
    07-26-15 11:13 PM
    So the slider will definitely be BB10 or using the hypervisor then? That would be good news to me.
    Posted via CB10
    I also expect the slider to be a normal BB 10 device, because I can't imagine that BlackBerry extends their hardware root of trust model to Android devices.

That's one of the nice things about BB 10.
    You can buy a used BB 10 device and still trust that the system hasn't been compromised.
    (I wish a similar system would be available for regular desktop pcs)
    rthonpm likes this.
    07-27-15 02:57 AM
    (I wish a similar system would be available for regular desktop pcs)
    This was the goal of UEFI and secure boot but most devices that have it still ship with secure boot turned off!

Posted via CB10
    global14u likes this.
    07-27-15 05:20 AM

Posted via CB10
    Or BlackBerry is going to miss their late 2015 release Window, or they don't care if the new device is FIPS out of the gate (which wouldn't surprise me with crazy Chairman Chen running the ship).

Posted via Z30
    07-27-15 05:46 AM
    If so, how does a hybrid BB10 / secured android (with no google play services) sound to you?

Posted via CB10
    Regardless of the solution BlackBerry chooses, it will have Google Play Services. There would be absolutely no point to the exercise otherwise.

They will also have plenty of time to apply for FIPS certification for the device after, as they will continue to offer their BB10 phones to high-secure customers.

The first model will be a "test the waters" device anyway.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    07-27-15 05:52 AM
    Regardless of the solution BlackBerry chooses, it will have Google Play Services. There would be absolutely no point to the exercise otherwise.

They will also have plenty of time to apply for FIPS certification for the device after, as they will continue to offer their BB10 phones to high-secure customers.

The first model will be a "test the waters" device anyway.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    Agreed. My preference would be BB10 with Google Play. I like the OS. Although if it is Android, then what is the differentiator to any other Android device? Some BlackBerry apps? I'm not a fan of having Android as the OS and would probably go Apple if they go Android, or I would go with an established Android player that is going to offer me more bang for the buck in hardware side. BlackBerry is going to support iOS and Android for their apps anyway, so why wouldn't you go with the best device with the best app platform.

Posted via Z30
    tanzarian likes this.
    07-27-15 06:46 AM
    Agreed. My preference would be BB10 with Google Play. I like the OS. Although if it is Android, then what is the differentiator to any other Android device? Some BlackBerry apps? I'm not a fan of having Android as the OS and would probably go Apple if they go Android, or I would go with an established Android player that is going to offer me more bang for the buck in hardware side. BlackBerry is going to support iOS and Android for their apps anyway, so why wouldn't you go with the best device with the best app platform.

Posted via Z30
    To me it's all about how well and seamlessly they can integrate the HUB and the gestures. We know it will be easy to add the BlackBerry keyboard.

Hopefully the branded BlackBerry Android device will do something beyond the app suite being made available to other devices.

In general, I think you can get your hooks in deeper into Android than you can with iOS. I would suspect whatever they do will work better on Android.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    07-27-15 07:32 AM
    In case they ditch BB 10: For what did they buy Secusmart?
    07-27-15 07:53 AM
    In case they ditch BB 10: For what did they buy Secusmart?
    We may all be surprised what the final solution will be. We can only speculate.

One thing we do know: if it is anything other than a pure Android solution, BlackBerry would need to negotiate with the OHA to be able to run Google Play Services. It's hard to imagine that BlackBerry has any kind of bargaining position in that discussion.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    07-27-15 08:40 AM
    We may all be surprised what the final solution will be. We can only speculate.

One thing we do know: if it is anything other than a pure Android solution, BlackBerry would need to negotiate with the OHA to be able to run Google Play Services. It's hard to imagine that BlackBerry has any kind of bargaining position in that discussion.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    One thing BlackBerry does have is its reputation for secure communication. If they can customize a suite of secure functions on an Android device, (not the whole device) then they may have something.
    Look at it this way...
    As a business, sometimes it's best to farm out some duties to other companies who specialize in specific tasks. The quality of the job done and the cost is generally lower than if it's attempted to be done in house.
    So, BlackBerry already has experience with BB10 and Android and getting them to play nice on one device.....They've been doing it since the launch of BB10.
    So, if I'm Google and I want a leg up on the competition. .. (Apple) I'm going to partner up with the professional. (BlackBerry).
    What Google gets or gives up, and what BlackBerry gets and gives up remains to be seen I suppose. ....

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-27-15 08:58 AM
    So, if I'm Google and I want a leg up on the competition. .. (Apple) I'm going to partner up with the professional. (BlackBerry).
    What Google gets or gives up, and what BlackBerry gets and gives up remains to be seen I suppose. ....

I agree with your assessment, but unfortunately OHA is not just Google. There are BlackBerry competitors in that membership which may be less inclined to play ball.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    07-27-15 09:17 AM
    One thing BlackBerry does have is its reputation for secure communication. [...] So, if I'm Google and I want a leg up on the competition. .. (Apple) I'm going to partner up with the professional. (BlackBerry). What Google gets or gives up, and what BlackBerry gets and gives up remains to be seen I suppose. ....
    The question is: Will chairman Eric Schmidt ditch his Bold for a Classic or a Chendroid?
    07-27-15 09:24 AM
    The question is: Will chairman Eric Schmidt ditch his Bold for a Classic or a Chendroid?
    Not to sound arrogant, but I couldn't care less if he used a soup can on a string.

My personal feeling is that people need to use what they feel they need in a personal device. I've used everything but a Windows device. They all have positives and negatives.
    Interesting thing is this..... Why would tge chairman of one of the world's biggest tech companies use such an old style device?
    Is it because we are creatures of habit and we like what's familiar to us?
    Or is that a statement of the quality of the current technology available?

I think he probably likes his Bold because he's used to it. I could be wrong... I don't know the fella.

MO3iusONE likes this.
    07-27-15 09:48 AM
    I am sure the powers that be are aware of this (and maybe you as well) and doing something but I read this article this morning and, being a techno-moron worried a little about BlackBerry/Android collusion.

http://n.pr/1esu2Yh

BlackBerry has a closed OS correct?
    Superdupont 2_0 likes this.
    07-27-15 11:24 AM
    I agree with your assessment, but unfortunately OHA is not just Google. There are BlackBerry competitors in that membership which may be less inclined to play ball.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    So to put it simply, the only way for a Blackberry to have Google Play is to completely comply with OHA regulations, which means selling a near-stock Android phone and NO derivatives (no secure kernel, no BB10 devices on the side). At that point there simply nothing distinguishing Blackberry from a HTC or Xiomoni device.
    07-27-15 10:09 PM
    Not true. A Hypervisor device meets the OHA qualifications as they're presented publicly.
    nick13b, ayngling and BlackQtCoder like this.
    07-27-15 10:46 PM
    So to put it simply, the only way for a Blackberry to have Google Play is to completely comply with OHA regulations, which means selling a near-stock Android phone and NO derivatives (no secure kernel, no BB10 devices on the side). At that point there simply nothing distinguishing Blackberry from a HTC or Xiomoni device.
    Yes, you need to meet OHA guidelines to have Google Play Services.

To meet OHA rules (among other things) a non-forked version of Android must be the base OS, it must say "powered by Android" on the boot screen, it must have many of the Google Apps pre-installed, it must have the Google Play Store as the default and primary app store, and it must pass a series of compatibility checks.

The differentiation would be a dedicated bb10 launcher (skin) with a bb10 app suite. This could still be quite significant if done well. The HUB would be a huge distinction.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    07-28-15 05:47 AM
    Not true. A Hypervisor device meets the OHA qualifications as they're presented publicly.
    I hope you're right, but I can't see how Hypervisor could allow them to meet OHA requirements as I copied in the previous post.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    07-28-15 05:52 AM
    How can a hypervisor ensure the OS is secure? All it can do is add a degree of separation between the hardware and the software, not ensure that the software doesn't tamper with the software.
    07-28-15 08:49 AM
    I am sure the powers that be are aware of this (and maybe you as well) and doing something but I read this article this morning and, being a techno-moron worried a little about BlackBerry/Android collusion.

Major Flaw In Android Phones Would Let Hackers In With Just A Text : All Tech Considered : NPR

BlackBerry has a closed OS correct?
    i just read it this morning, surprised no one's posted it on CB Yet:

Stagefright: SMS Text Message Can Hack Android Phones

"A mobile security researcher has uncovered a flaw that leaves as many as 95% of Android devices—that’s 950 million gadgets—exposed to attack. The computer bug, nicknamed “Stagefright” after a vulnerable media library in the operating system’s open source code, may be one of the worst Android security holes discovered to date. It affects Android versions 2.2 and on."

they better figure this out first before BBRY can make any custom android os phone. but it's just another reason why i wouldn't touch anything by the way of android, ever.
    07-28-15 08:55 AM
    i just read it this morning, surprised no one's posted it on CB Yet:

Stagefright: SMS Text Message Can Hack Android Phones

"A mobile security researcher has uncovered a flaw that leaves as many as 95% of Android devices�that�s 950 million gadgets�exposed to attack. The computer bug, nicknamed �Stagefright� after a vulnerable media library in the operating system�s open source code, may be one of the worst Android security holes discovered to date. It affects Android versions 2.2 and on."

they better figure this out first before BBRY can make any custom android os phone. but it's just another reason why i wouldn't touch anything by the way of android, ever.
    It's fascinating, each time I begin to think the horror stories about Android have come to an end and that Android is perhaps "secure enough" news like these pops up and remind me that most Android versions are a no go.

Going Android is just a bad idea, if you are a security company.

Posted via CB10
    tanzarian and extisis like this.
    07-28-15 09:49 AM
70 123