I like the name! Besides who cares about a name of a phone any ways? People refer to the iPhone as iPhone or a Samsung a Samsung, so why not just refer to it as a blackberry? Done deal

Posted via CB10
    jas1978 likes this.
    09-24-15 07:43 AM
    So tell Chen to sticker all the boxes to cover the P with an S, the Blackberry Shiv. Popular in jails and prisons

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 07:48 AM
    Going by what our French pals here on the forums say, the name could work if it is actually printed as BlackBerry Priv� on the box and media. But...

Anyway, till now how many tweets has JC received about this?

 Q5 / Z30
    09-24-15 08:00 AM
    Going by what our French pals here on the forums say, the name could work if it is actually printed as BlackBerry Priv� on the box and media. But...

 Q5 / Z30
    Actually that's quite good. French for "private".
    BlackBerry Priv�. Cool

STA 100-3, SQW 100-4 / 10.3.2.2639
    Jakob_jacobsen likes this.
    09-24-15 08:09 AM
    The thing is the name might hurt first impressions for the people that need the cool factor..... if they think the phone name isn't cool then it won't matter what the phone can do. Maybe the name will catch on though.... who knows......
    09-24-15 08:19 AM
    Come on peeps, we all know BlackBerry doesn't listen to Crackberrians... Unless one of them holds a good BES customer...
    09-24-15 08:42 AM
    Actually that's quite good. French for "private".
    BlackBerry Priv�. Cool

STA 100-3, SQW 100-4 / 10.3.2.2639
    I'd prefer the BlackBerry Attach�: something small that keeps important documents safe and secure.

Posted via CB10
    ayngling and Superfly_FR like this.
    09-24-15 08:43 AM
    I've been reading the comments sections of stories about this name online, and I've already seen 5 people say they wouldn't buy this phone on its name alone. After all the effort they've put into the Venice, we can't let them inadvertently blow it up by giving it a name so incomprehensibly horrendous. It's not too late though! Everyone start hitting up @BlackBerry and @JohnChen on twitter and tell them what you think. Seriously, start tweeting.
    Nah. You're on your own. You need to get out more. Smmfh!

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 09:26 AM
    Perhaps do what Prince did years ago...rather than using Prince, he came out with a symbol and was referred to "Formerly known as Prince"

That being said...should be called "Formerly Known as Venice" with some weird symbol, Greek alphabet, Mathematical, heck even Pi or the theory of relativity...

 BlackBerry Passport on Telus Network
    09-24-15 10:44 AM

 Q5 / Z30
    I prefer BlackBerry R�serve Priv�e VSOP.
    Superfly_FR and FF22 like this.
    09-24-15 10:52 AM
    I've tweeted the **** out of BlackBerry and Chen. Told them they are dirty offensive and childish. And showed them a toilet filled with ****. Ironic.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2639 / T-Mobile USA
    09-24-15 10:55 AM
    Seriously. This is CrackBerry.

A product name is marketing.

Sales is the fuel that powers the machine. And yes, product names directly impact product sales.

 Classic
    I don't understand how others do not see this? I am a huge BlackBerry fanboy and was looking forward to the Slider. It is an imperative launch for the handset division to remain viable.

My family of four, including myself, will not purchase this device if the name is Priv. People spend their money on products with names they aren't going to be ashamed to say. This is a huge fail if true.

I am expecting all of the positive press the "Venice" has been getting to start turning negative. This is really insane. How is this name even in contention. People buy products on name as well as the hardware.

There are many other Android devices and flavors to choose from and many will not choose Priv on name alone. Not even sure how to pronounce it. Terrible name.

BlackBerry is shooting themselves in the foot or JChen just does not want the handset division to become profitable allowing him to dump it completely since they "tried everything now".

Posted via CB10
    1magine and lift like this.
    09-24-15 10:58 AM
    This is why everybody should get the Blackphone 2 if they want true security.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 11:04 AM
    It's a dumb name for sure, but not buying the phone based on the name is even dumber.
    Why, The name send a crazed messege thus damaging the company. If they can't get hold of simple branding what else will they fail at. Nothing screams we go out of HW business like this.
    09-24-15 11:15 AM
    Nah. You're on your own. You need to get out more. Smmfh!

Posted via CB10
    Do you think phone color matters? What if it released only in Hot Pink. I mean it is only the color of the phone and doesn't in any way effect functioning. And you can always buy a case. What if it was a car? Would you buy a car called the Toil?

For most people in the world. Their phone is a part of their daily life. They look at it more than their significant other. Play games, watch movies, take it with them to dinner and bars and clubs and work. Many sleep with their smartphones. If it is considered normal for a vehicle to be an extension of one's persona (and I believe in many cases it is), than I think this goes 100X for a smartphone.

Does the name make or break the phone? - No; but naming is the low hanging fruit that you just should never get wrong. By a short sample on tech blogs and sites around the web today it does seem like 80% of the respondents think they got it wrong.
    09-24-15 01:09 PM
    Why, The name send a crazed messege thus damaging the company. If they can't get hold of simple branding what else will they fail at. Nothing screams we go out of HW business like this.
    It's true. Branding is very important. This sends a really dumb message.
    09-24-15 01:09 PM
    I want to know the reasoning for the name, "Priv." You just know that they were sitting in a boardroom and had a kind of eureka moment where they thought Priv was the smartest name in the world. But I really can't extract the logic. Are they tone-deaf?

Should have called it Prix (as someone else mentioned). Might have been a nice nod to the Palm Pre.

Still, Venice is a great name.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    09-24-15 01:23 PM
    I like how you guys updated your French skills !
    09-24-15 01:44 PM
    You guys just need to wait and see how they pronounce it....

Just like the Z-10 was really the ZED-10.... and to be honest every time someone asked me what phone I had, I just said a BlackBerry.

Chen is getting good at the free social marketing.
    09-24-15 01:44 PM
    Well, we could start a poll on pronounciation

Pry-v
    pree-v
    prev
    pr...........

For a four letter word it really is sh.t!
    09-24-15 01:51 PM
    I like the name! Besides who cares about a name of a phone any ways? People refer to the iPhone as iPhone or a Samsung a Samsung, so why not just refer to it as a blackberry? Done deal

Posted via CB10
    Not true. Yes, the iphone is iphone, because apple only makes Iphones. But people don't just call "samsung" to samsung phones. It's more comon you hear calling S6 Edge, or Note 5, not even refering samsung, because like the "apple iphone" already knows wich brand makes "S6" or "note 5".

Can't just call "blackberry" to the priv... Because there's the blackberry passport, the blackberry classic... if you say just "blackberry", nobody knows wich one is.
    ayngling likes this.
    09-24-15 01:51 PM
    I don't care how it's pronounced. BlackBerry gets made fun of all the time for less. Let's see all jokes flying around about this. Just another reason for those that already hate BB to hate some more. What a stupid name. The BlackBerry Perv.
    lift likes this.
    09-24-15 01:55 PM
    It's a dumb name for sure, but not buying the phone based on the name is even dumber.
    Now look again with a new pair of eyes at what you just wrote... The fact that there are "crazy people" that won't buy the phone because of the name, it's reason good enought to change to a decent name... You want "crazy people" to buy it too, you want ANY kind of people.
    09-24-15 02:00 PM
    someone should call Priv and let them know maybe they will put a injunction against it?
    09-24-15 02:02 PM
    No big deal there, Nokia called it's entire phone line 'Lumia' and got away with that (well, kind of) and Lumia in south American vocabulary loosely translates as 'lady of unbridled passion and fornication' .
    Priv in the least offer some modicum of privacy (sic)
    09-24-15 02:02 PM
105 1234 ...