This all started over whether or not I should install Whatsapp and get with the bandwagon since all my family members are on there. Anyway this is how the convo went word for word on SMS:

Me: Holy cow! That's amazing! So that is how she looked young. Oh my God. How the hell did you get this picture before me? (My Dad sent his grandmom's pic to my sister over Whatsapp)

Sis: Silly
    Sis: I saw it on Dad's what's app
    Sis: I asked him for more pics but I don't think he has them

Me: ...do you and dad chat on Whatsapp? (This is a shocker to me. My dad is always busy with work and can barely stay on the phone for more than 2-3 minutes when I call him every weekend.)

Sis: Yup
    Sis: Need to get with the program bro

Me: Hmmmm

Sis: Bbm is ancient history
    Sis: Like fossilized Before Christ history (Me thinking... burn iPhone 1 - 0)
    Sis: Need to sell that phone to some archaeologists (She's good... iPhone 2 up)
    Sis: And get with the new age technology (My sister has been determined for years to get me to switch to the iPhone)

Me: You don't know what you are talking about. BBM is actually doing very well. (I think this is true based on data I've seen... Whatsapp just has a much bigger user base in comparison)
    Me: Especially amongst lots of Nigerians. (Okay this might not be true since I don't actively live in Nigeria anymore. Maybe I was reaching here lol.)

Sis: Lol 😂😂😂 sure buddy (She's on to me! Hah.)
    Sis: You and maybe one friend use BBM (Brutal and actually a solid point... a lot of my friends ditched BlackBerry for Androids/iPhones which meant no more BBM exchanges. She scores 2 extra "burn" points because it hit home. iPhone fanboy is up 4 - 0. Can I even come back from this?)
    Sis: The rest of the world has caught up with technology
    Sis: Give it time

Me: Going to do some research on whatsapp and see if they have privacy laws in place. (Honestly if it means talking with my dad more often, screw privacy laws if they don't exist. But I'm kind of hoping they do...)

Sis: The day you finally give up and switch I will laugh at you for hours (This is my worst nightmare lol.)
    Sis: From BBm to iPhone I mean

Me: BlackBerry for life. (Provided they keep making excellent software)

Sis: And I'm sure the day it happens you will hide it from me until u can hide it no more. (If BlackBerry's hardware division died, I would STILL refuse to use the iPhone just so I don't give my sister the satisfaction to gloat lol.)

Me: I always go for the superior phones even if it means being different from everyone else... with privacy in place which is a major priority for me personally. Be careful you don't have naked pics on that iPhone of yours. [insert smiley face] (Oh my God! I scored the miraculous comeback. My sister couldn't respond to this because she knew I'd bring up "The Fappening" that happened not too long ago. 5 extra burn points for BlackBerry! A close battle won but the damage done is still there...)

FYI: This text exchange was never meant to paint my sister in a bad light. She is an amazing individual with an awesome sense of humor and I love her to death. Just trying to say that BlackBerry really has an uphill battle when it comes to winning people over.

вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵαssρσяτ SE via CB10 (cricket OS 10.3.2.2474) вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵяiv via CB for Android 2.0.3 (TMo OS Lollipop 5.1.1)
    11-30-15 09:34 PM
    Lol I got the same crap for asking a buddy for another friends phone number I had given him, then lost myself. He informed me that he had contacted him once, got an invite for Facebook and now no longer has his number. Wtf? That's crazy. Now he's telling me to join 2015 and get on Facebook. Instagram, all those privacy stealers. I won't do it, so I guess I do without my friends number. I lost it because BlackBerry and their crappy contact app decided to lose it. Who deletes a number just because they got a friend invite on Facebook? I don't get it at all.

Posted with my still awesome z30.
    11-30-15 09:45 PM
    Someone not using a Blackberry has no reason at all to use BBM over the other messaging apps. BBM is dead, it just needs to be buried.
    11-30-15 09:57 PM
    Whatsapp works well on bb10 and works on Priv as well (but no hub notifications)

Posted via CB10
    Barbareren likes this.
    12-01-15 02:32 AM
    Someone not using a Blackberry has no reason at all to use BBM over the other messaging apps. BBM is dead, it just needs to be buried.
    I disagree.
    As a matter of fact, If you're a guest on my BBM contacts list, then you know you matter to me.
    BBM is the only messaging app (besides text, but that's only for business reasons) that will trigger a sound notification.
    I've been using it with friends - on my request - on various platforms and while they all advocate the lack of users from their friends, most have now a limited amount of contacts on their lists. Those who "really matter", unmixed with the crowd.
    I don't use it to extend my social exposure (well, some BBM Channel, occasionally); it's my restricted, filtered and (more or fully) secured communication tool.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 12-02-15 at 07:07 AM.
    12-01-15 04:47 AM
    Man, me and the 25 other contacts I have on my BBM must have been the shiznit 65 million years ago! Lol

I don't know what your "daydream" sister is talking about but I have no problems convincing people into using BBM over other messaging apps. I have iPhone friends that only contact me over BBM. Just the other day I asked an old friend over text who I know is using iPhone now, if he had BBM and he was like sure do! +1 for BBM!

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    Last edited by Carmels; 12-07-15 at 10:44 AM.
    wincyUt and David Tyler like this.
    12-01-15 06:04 AM
    Everyone in my circle of friends who went back to BBM when it went cross platform long ago uninstalled it and went back to what's app. Between the constant ads for stupid sticker packs, to missing notifications, to delayed deliveries...I gave it almost a year but in the end it was only 4 people using it compared to the 150+ I have in what's app.

Cross platform was simply still not fully formed, but those constant sticker pack ads, man...
    12-01-15 06:17 AM
    I know you are trolling a bit here, but if you have any convincing arguments as to what is actually wrong with the application I would love to hear it. I realize that less than 200 million users exist and that is a small user base compared to many other applications. So I am not interested in if it is popular or not, we all know why it lags behind the big ones in popularity (people switched away from BlackBerry and BBM was not cross- platform during most of that major shift in user base).

I am however interested in clearly understanding the issues with the app itself.
    Thanks,

Posted via CB10
    12-01-15 06:39 AM
    WhatsApp doesn't mean iPhone though. I have a PP and I use WhatsApp more than I use BBM because quiet frankly it's easier to set up and their emojis aren't ugly. But that's just me. (I don't care about privacy in texts)

Posted via CB10
    Barbareren likes this.
    12-01-15 06:45 AM
    I know you are trolling a bit here, but if you have any convincing arguments as to what is actually wrong with the application I would love to hear it. I realize that less than 200 million users exist and that is a small user base compared to many other applications. So I am not interested in if it is popular or not, we all know why it lags behind the big ones in popularity (people switched away from BlackBerry and BBM was not cross- platform during most of that major shift in user base).

I am however interested in clearly understanding the issues with the app itself.
    Thanks,

Posted via CB10
    I'm not trolling, totally serious. BBM is great if you use a Blackberry, but cross platform it is just so so. Messages get delayed; it's buggy, and there really isn't any reason for people to use it over another messaging service.

Now I know some people will go the "privacy" route and say BBM is private because it uses pins. People don't care about that. A better question for you is give me one reason why anyone should use BBM cross platform over other messaging services. An example is Whatsapp. It's feature rich with wifi calling, web messaging, and a very smooth user interface.

There just isn't a compelling reason to use BBM. They waited far to long to open it up to other platforms and people had already moved on. Blackberry really hasn't done anything with it to make it stand out among the crowd (cross platform video? Never happened) and their cross platform app isn't up to par with the other major players.

BBM is a messaging service for Blackberry users and that's it. It's dead. Blackberry would never bury it, but the general public has dug the grave.
    Barbareren and Witmen like this.
    12-01-15 06:53 AM
    I'm not trolling, totally serious. BBM is great if you use a Blackberry, but cross platform it is just so so. Messages get delayed; it's buggy, and there really isn't any reason for people to use it over another messaging service.

Now I know some people will go the "privacy" route and say BBM is private because it uses pins. People don't care about that. A better question for you is give me one reason why anyone should use BBM cross platform over other messaging services. An example is Whatsapp. It's feature rich with wifi calling, web messaging, and a very smooth user interface.

There just isn't a compelling reason to use BBM. They waited far to long to open it up to other platforms and people had already moved on. Blackberry really hasn't done anything with it to make it stand out among the crowd (cross platform video? Never happened) and their cross platform app isn't up to par with the other major players.

BBM is a messaging service for Blackberry users and that's it. It's dead. Blackberry would never bury it, but the general public has dug the grave.
    At the end of the day it's what works best for the individual. For me, I've tried WhatsApp and it was enough to delete it off my Z10 at the time.

Plus, my wife and I are BlackBerry users so BBM video works perfectly for us.

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    wincyUt likes this.
    12-01-15 07:15 AM
    At the end of the day it's what works best for the individual. For me, I've tried WhatsApp and it was enough to delete it off my Z10 at the time.

Plus, my wife and I are BlackBerry users so BBM video works perfectly for us.

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    Yeah I get that. Blackberry to Blackberry it's great. Cross platform is where there is no compelling reason to use it.
    12-01-15 07:18 AM
    I really hate whatsapp. The pin system is much better than the phone number for messaging.
    As an example couple women who I don't want to talk to or see anymore I blocked. But they still call me cause they are were able to save my number before I blocked them. It's the worst system for privacy. What am I supposed to do now? Change my number?

Posted via CB10
    jas1978, Edrian Villa and wincyUt like this.
    12-01-15 07:48 AM
    I really hate whatsapp. The pin system is much better than the phone number for messaging.
    As an example couple women who I don't want to talk to or see anymore I blocked. But they still call me cause they are were able to save my number before I blocked them. It's the worst system for privacy. What am I supposed to do now? Change my number?

Posted via CB10
    Maybe block her number?
    Barbareren likes this.
    12-01-15 09:09 AM
    Anyone over the age of 20 is familiar with blackberry. If you are in your early 20's you probably used one in highschool. This is the demographic that blackberry will likely have the most appeal.
    Last edited by Mark Sb; 12-01-15 at 09:35 AM.
    12-01-15 09:22 AM
    Maybe block her number?
    That compensates for the inadequate privacy of whatsapp? I have to take extra steps to ensure that I have privacy because of the shortcomings of a paid messaging service.

BBM delete and block and it's done. That person will never have access to contact me again. By phone or messaging. I'll agree that BBM was awful in the early days of cross platform implementation. It has come along well since then. But people moved on since then. BlackBerry released a buggy cross platform messaging service. In today's environment of attention deficit smartphone users, they will move on real fast at the first sign of any bugs in an app and rightfully so. All the blame lies on BlackBerry for this.

Oh and those that complain about ads in BBM have never seen the ad messages sent to a whatsapp user? I was fortunate not to receive them but have seen first hand what they are. Once they get your number ads come in pretty much every week.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-15 09:33 AM
    That compensates for the inadequate privacy of whatsapp? I have to take extra steps to ensure that I have privacy because of the shortcomings of a paid messaging service.

BBM delete and block and it's done. That person will never have access to contact me again. By phone or messaging. I'll agree that BBM was awful in the early days of cross platform implementation. It has come along well since then. But people moved on since then. BlackBerry released a buggy cross platform messaging service. In today's environment of attention deficit smartphone users, they will move on real fast at the first sign of any bugs in an app and rightfully so. All the blame lies on BlackBerry for this.

Oh and those that complain about ads in BBM have never seen the ad messages sent to a whatsapp user? I was fortunate not to receive them but have seen first hand what they are. Once they get your number ads come in pretty much every week.

Posted via CB10
    This would be an actual problem if BBM was popular enough to warrant its use. It isn't. If you have a problem giving your number to a girl you are interested in or a friend you met and want to maybe get to know then I think there are more issues at hand. People don't communicate by giving PIN numbers. They communicate by giving phone numbers. If you don't like giving out your number to people you might potentially want to get to know then I don't know what to tell you.

You can either block the number or not take the call. It's not like blocking the number is some horrific process. With all the work arounds that BB10 users are used to doing with Snap and Google Play this shouldn't really be a problem.
    Barbareren likes this.
    12-01-15 10:05 AM
    This would be an actual problem if BBM was popular enough to warrant its use. It isn't. If you have a problem giving your number to a girl you are interested in or a friend you met and want to maybe get to know then I think there are more issues at hand. People don't communicate by giving PIN numbers. They communicate by giving phone numbers. If you don't like giving out your number to people you might potentially want to get to know then I don't know what to tell you.

You can either block the number or not take the call. It's not like blocking the number is some horrific process. With all the work arounds that BB10 users are used to doing with Snap and Google Play this shouldn't really be a problem.
    There is no problem hence I give out my number. Problem arises when I don't want to communicate with them anymore. Whatsapp has no way of protecting my number against those I don't want to communicate with or those advertisers.
    People communicate with all sorts of methods a phone number is not just one of them.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-15 10:36 AM
    Everyone in my circle of friends who went back to BBM when it went cross platform long ago uninstalled it and went back to what's app. Between the constant ads for stupid sticker packs, to missing notifications, to delayed deliveries...I gave it almost a year but in the end it was only 4 people using it compared to the 150+ I have in what's app.

Cross platform was simply still not fully formed, but those constant sticker pack ads, man...
    This right here was my experience as well. Many people got it when it went cross platform. Most had to delete for those exact same reasons. In fact I stopped using BBM while on Android myself.

It works great, vastly superior to Whatsapp BlackBerry to BlackBerry. On anything else I have a hard time recommending it.

Posted via CB10
    reeneebob likes this.
    12-01-15 10:40 AM
    Just imagine what would have happened if they had gone cross platform six months before they did with Blackberry Protect activated out of the box and cross platform audio and video enabled.

Instead they wasted their efforts on sticker packs.

That's what happens when you need a Steve Jobs at CEO and hire Bartlby the Scrivener instead.
    12-01-15 11:13 AM
    Man, me and the 25 other contacts I have on my BBM must have been the shiznit 65 million years ago! Lol
    25? Wow, are you bragging about having 25 BBM contacts?

I remember having over 150 contacts back when I was still using a Bold 9650. My contact list was almost entirely made up of people that I actually knew in person also.

That number dwindled to nearly nothing until BBM went cross platform and a few of my friends installed it to try it out. Sadly, none of the people I know of kept it for longer than a couple of weeks. The last time I looked at my BBM contact list the only people it had were spam requests from horny dudes in Nigeria who thought I was a female.

BBM went from being the king of instant messaging to an embarrassment.
    12-01-15 11:23 AM
    The one thing I use a lot with BBM is video chat. Only with my wife and brother who are the only other people I know that use BlackBerry.

She's got a Note 5 on the way. So I guess that's the end of video calls. I'm holding on to my Z30 a little while longer. But when I switch to Android I guess I'll try finding a video chat (maybe skype?) that works.

But gotta give BBM this much. It works great BlackBerry to BlackBerry. I'll miss that part of BBM when I go to Android.

Maybe there is something Android to Android that is somewhat smooth? Video calls on BBM are just so smooth, clear and instantaneous that we hardly use the telephone when talking to each other. We always call by BBM Video or audio.

BlackBerry should have gotten everything cross platform years ago. And stopped trying to charge money for ad removal or for features like message deletion. Even the stickers should have been all free. That's how they could have attracted people to the platform.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2789 / T-Mobile USA
    12-01-15 11:36 AM
    I find myself in the odd position of being a die-hard BB fanatic who has NEVER used BBM.

I text a great deal - partially because my phone carrier has long had unlimited free texting - and that's always been good enough.
    reeneebob likes this.
    12-01-15 11:37 AM
    25? Wow, are you bragging about having 25 BBM contacts?

I remember having over 150 contacts back when I was still using a Bold 9650. My contact list was almost entirely made up of people that I actually knew in person also.

That number dwindled to nearly nothing until BBM went cross platform and a few of my friends installed it to try it out. Sadly, none of the people I know of kept it for longer than a couple of weeks. The last time I looked at my BBM contact list the only people it had were spam requests from horny dudes in Nigeria who thought I was a female.

BBM went from being the king of instant messaging to an embarrassment.
    LMAO @ horny dudes from Nigeria! Oh my God. This is so embarrassing but I just couldn't stop laughing.

Pretty pathetic given the fact that there is a metric ton of females compared to males. You don't even need to have game provided you have a decent job.

вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵαssρσяτ SE via CB10 (cricket OS 10.3.2.2474) вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵяiv via CB for Android 2.0.3 (TMo OS Lollipop 5.1.1)
    12-01-15 11:37 AM
    There is no problem hence I give out my number. Problem arises when I don't want to communicate with them anymore. Whatsapp has no way of protecting my number against those I don't want to communicate with or those advertisers.
    People communicate with all sorts of methods a phone number is not just one of them.

Posted via CB10
    I guess I just don't understand. If you give out your number then there's no way you can keep people from calling you, BBM or not unless you block them. If you have given it out then how is BBM stopping them from calling you?
    12-01-15 11:40 AM
101 123 ...