Hear me out.

I have been a die-hard BlackBerry customer since the Bold 9000. Moving to a 9900, then a Z10, Passport and now Priv, I have always appreciated BB7 and BB10 as nimble, efficient systems.

I had no idea about Android. Didn't really care about the apps or overall ecosystem.

However.... not that I've had the Priv for over three months, I have grown very accustomed to it. In fact, I find it much better in many ways than BB10.

This is where I am now.... If my Priv should need replacing, I am so comfortable with Android, that I don't think my replacement needs to be another Android-powered BlackBerry. There are so many phones with higher specs, and cheaper than that Priv, that a jump to a new Samsung or LG would not require any transition at all.

The Priv has become my bridge to the Android world and my loyalty to BlackBerry is no longer as important as it once was.

Even if successful, the Priv might be my last BlackBerry.... just because it's just another Android device.

Has BlackBerry destroyed its hardware business trying to save it?
    02-26-16 08:02 AM
    Re the future of BBRY, who but John Chen and his inner circle knows? Anything else is sheer speculation.

As for Android or BBRY, you get the phone that best suits your needs and you can afford.
    02-26-16 08:08 AM
    I think this makes sense from your perspective, but overall it's a minor tradeoff.

In this situation, you are representing other loyal BB10 users who are now open to Android through the Priv. While that may mean that you could switch to another Android device where you wouldn't have before, you're representing a tiny minority.

They're trying to appeal to other Android users who can now consider the Priv as their next device. These are people who wouldn't have considered a BB10 device.

So while they may lose BB10 customers like yourself to other Android devices, they might gain Android users who wouldn't have considered a BB10 device. This is the bet they have to take, because there wasn't enough BB10 users to keep them in the handset business.
    kthhrrsn, so crow and Bbnivende like this.
    02-26-16 08:16 AM
    That's a valid point. It's also why BlackBerry has been trying to differentiate it's version of Android by bringing the goods from BB10 (Hub, Calendar, etc.) plus emphasize its superior security. Only time will tell if it works. If security wasn't the main draw for a BlackBerry user, it won't be a draw for an Android powered BlackBerry device either. The keyboard just might be the hook, but the BlackBerry virtual keyboard is so good that the pkb isn't as critical as it used to be for most.
    Posted via CB10
    02-26-16 08:16 AM
    So while they may lose BB10 customers like yourself to other Android devices, they might gain Android users who wouldn't have considered a BB10 device. This is the bet they have to take, because there wasn't enough BB10 users to keep them in the handset business.
    I agree in principle, however, I think the price-point of the Priv is set to high for mass adoption. There are higher-specification devices for less money.
    fanisk and FCSC like this.
    02-26-16 08:18 AM
    If BlackBerry can keep up on consistent monthly updates and extra security as they have demonstrated with the Priv so far, I will continue to use my Android BlackBerry. So far most the other OEM's have failed to do so.

JMO
    so crow likes this.
    02-26-16 08:18 AM
    If BlackBerry can keep up on consistent monthly updates and extra security as they have demonstrated with the Priv so far, I will continue to use my Android BlackBerry. So far most the other OEM's have failed to do so.

JMO
    Ahh.... now that's a great point. Never thought of that. I guess the level of ongoing support can be the differentiator.
    02-26-16 08:32 AM
    I agree in principle, however, I think the price-point of the Priv is set to high for mass adoption. There are higher-specification devices for less money.
    Probably, but that's an Android problem. Companies like Samsung and LG make more profits off of devices because they can buy parts in larger quantities or manufacture it themselves. Companies like Google and Xiaomi can afford to sell devices for cost because they monetize their software services. BlackBerry doesn't have either of those right now.
    Sje1973 likes this.
    02-26-16 08:44 AM
    The problem is that BlackBerry will never have latest version of Android nor will it have the latest hardware nor will it have the best price. Unless you highly prize the differentiation that BlackBerry brings to Android then you won't be sticking around.
    Matt J and kirson like this.
    02-26-16 08:54 AM
    Totally agree with this comment. Even then why should we get the priv period? The keyboard and the hub? I mean I love the hub but there's nothing like the bb10 version. I've been contemplating this. I think that BlackBerry will see this reflected in their sales and see that they aren't making a profit because there is not much differentiation between android devices. I got to say this even if I show people the priv they still want my passport like they try stealing it, and I tell them the only thing I can't do is snapchat, and I say but really what's the point of that app, and people agree, they might do away with those apps if the device is works for them.

The reason why I say this I've had 20 people right now jealous that my phone is louder and clearer on the phone, quicker when it comes to responding, they love the screen even though it's weird, they say they can't fit it in their pocket but I fit it in their pockets for them (it's quiet funny when I do this) and they how the keyboard feels. They like it how I like it and it's mainly iPhone users that I get this from.

Now android users are different but hey that's ok I like android but the difference here is that android users have choices and why would blackberry be another choice? Are those apps worth the 600 price tag? And they don't se ethat value. Especially the value of security is not enough. So there has to be something there.

Windows phones market share is declining, now that might change with their new phones but isn't that an opportunity for BlackBerry 10 to still succeed in the niche market I'm not sure I think there's opportunity there. For the but the focus should be more app support than windows until windows catches up cause they are about to, security and flow. And market. But that's been beaten to death so I'm gonna shut up now lol

Posted via CB10
    02-26-16 09:40 AM
    The problem is that BlackBerry will never have latest version of Android nor will it have the latest hardware nor will it have the best price. Unless you highly prize the differentiation that BlackBerry brings to Android then you won't be sticking around.
    It has been a long time since BlackBerry has had the latest greatest hardware or a competitive price at the time of a device launch. Even the Passport didn't have the latest hardware when it launched.
    02-26-16 10:05 AM
    That's a valid point. It's also why BlackBerry has been trying to differentiate it's version of Android by bringing the goods from BB10 (Hub, Calendar, etc.) plus emphasize its superior security. Only time will tell if it works. If security wasn't the main draw for a BlackBerry user, it won't be a draw for an Android powered BlackBerry device either. The keyboard just might be the hook, but the BlackBerry virtual keyboard is so good that the pkb isn't as critical as it used to be for most.
    Posted via CB10
    The keyboard was the feature most sought after other than that, it's just another android device.

вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵяiv (STV100-3 Rogers Wireless)via CB for Android 5.1.1
    02-26-16 11:24 AM
    Hear me out.

I have been a die-hard BlackBerry customer since the Bold 9000. Moving to a 9900, then a Z10, Passport and now Priv, I have always appreciated BB7 and BB10 as nimble, efficient systems.

I had no idea about Android. Didn't really care about the apps or overall ecosystem.

However.... not that I've had the Priv for over three months, I have grown very accustomed to it. In fact, I find it much better in many ways than BB10.

This is where I am now.... If my Priv should need replacing, I am so comfortable with Android, that I don't think my replacement needs to be another Android-powered BlackBerry. There are so many phones with higher specs, and cheaper than that Priv, that a jump to a new Samsung or LG would not require any transition at all.

The Priv has become my bridge to the Android world and my loyalty to BlackBerry is no longer as important as it once was.

Even if successful, the Priv might be my last BlackBerry.... just because it's just another Android device.

This is completely dependent on perspective. If you look at the Priv as just another Android handset, and noting more than an Android handset--which many here on CrackBerry seem to be doing--, and one amongst the sea of every other Android handsets, then yeah, at its current price point it is doomed to fail. However, change your perspective and consider the Priv as a BlackBerry handset first and all of what BlackBerry is bringing to the table: what they did specifically to the kernel and OS, BlackBerry Services, a capacitive pkb, slider format, their specific use of pop-up widgets, productivity tab, Hub, swipe up-from-bottom quick launch, promise of monthly updates, and a few others... ...the Priv is in reality not just another Android handset. To add, their launcher is close to stock as one can get. Bottom line is that what BlackBerry is bringing to the Android table is a bunch of stuff that no one else is doing. Whether that has value to you, and is worth the price to you, is what really matters here. Otherwise, you then only value a smartphone for what it is at its base and nothing more. In that case then yes, there are plenty of other handsets on the market that are cheaper. For what it is worth however, it sounds like the Priv is your only real experience with Android. To be fair, your experience with say the GS7 or even the Nextbit Robin would be completely different.

Who best but to emphasize this but Google itself: "Be one, but different". I have owned three Androids in the past and have been interested in Android since the G1. No Android user would describe any particular handset as "...just another Android device". That's something that only BB10 and WinPhone users would say. Don't believe me? Post this exact OP on Android Central, perhaps in their general discussion forum, and see. AC has a sub-forum titled "Phone Wars". Yup, plenty of iOS vs Android or iPhone vs Whatever Android Handset, but there are also numerous Android vs Android posts and threads. In fact, most are Android vs Android.

So, to answer your question: no, it will not. But let me ask you this; is it possible for the Priv to be both successful and the sole cause of BlackBerry's demise in handsets?

Time will tell. I would give it until late 2016/early 2017 to see if BlackBerry has learned anything.

It has been a long time since BlackBerry has had the latest greatest hardware or a competitive price at the time of a device launch. Even the Passport didn't have the latest hardware when it launched.
    And the Passport still launched at $699 USD. When they lowered the price to $599 three months later, the darn thing sold out on Shop BlackBerry with the quickness. For what it is worth, the 808s and 810s were announced by Qualcomm in April 2014. The Passport was released in June 2014. I could be wrong, but I don't think the 810s were released until July 2014. The Galaxy S5 also released with 801s, though. iirc, it launched in the U.S. for around $650 unlocked. Granted, hardware is more than the SoC, but to the Passport's defense it did launch with the best that was available at the time.
    Bay 13 and so crow like this.
    02-26-16 11:59 AM
    The Qualcomm 805 with the adreno 420 GPU which was used in the the droid turbo and note 4 were a decent upgrade in performance from the 801 with the adreno 330 GPU. The 805 units included Qualcomm quick charge. The Qualcomm 801 was already second tier. I purchased several passports, however I was realistic when I purchased them and excepted they had second tier hardware.
    Last edited by Sje1973; 02-28-16 at 09:28 AM.
    02-26-16 12:41 PM
    Ahh.... now that's a great point. Never thought of that. I guess the level of ongoing support can be the differentiator.
    My Note Edge, Note 4 & my wife's S6 are all still on Android security patch level from Nov 1, 2015 where as my Priv is on Feb 1, 2016 and soon to be Mar, 2016...that being said I still enjoy my Passport SE a lot more
    02-26-16 01:40 PM
    Other than PKB differentiation, Priv is just another Android handset. BlackBerry hardware division is already in bad shape as it is, could not get much worse, could it?
    02-26-16 01:48 PM
    Very true statement! Nevertheless for me I would have jumped to Android long time ago but the things kept me with BlackBerry 10 and now Priv are the physical keyboard and the hub.
    02-26-16 02:00 PM
    The PRIV is way more than just another Android device with a physical keyboard. If you believe that to be true, then you clearly haven't learned about anything regarding the PRIV and it's many enhancements over and above other versions of Android.

The PRIV is the best Android device available right now. Thanks BlackBerry for building the PRIV and securing Android.

BlackBerry has the only version of Android worth using at all.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    so crow likes this.
    02-26-16 03:05 PM
    The PRIV is way more than just another Android device with a physical keyboard. If you believe that to be true, then you clearly haven't learned about anything regarding the PRIV and it's many enhancements over and above other versions of Android.

The PRIV is the best Android device available right now. Thanks BlackBerry for building the PRIV and securing Android.

BlackBerry has the only version of Android worth using at all.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    I don't disagree. I understand the hardening of the kernel and the hardware security. I just wonder how much that will resonate with the general public?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my BlackBerry Priv
    02-26-16 03:28 PM
    IMO Priv represents both old school of thought and as well as the new . The PKB and the VKB are both superb and the device is nippy. Whether it has been a master stroke will be seen in next few days but certainly Blackberry as a new entrant on the android platform has made a signature statement of its capabilities IMHO.
    02-28-16 12:59 AM
    Hear me out.

"Even if successful" It's not, so don't worry. The handset business is done. It's been done since 2007. Every device since then has been a DUD!!!!
    02-28-16 01:01 AM
    I was expecting a new android device and roadmap in barcalona. It seems it was all about software and must say BlackBerry has nice stuff like a new bleutooth standard and bought a new company for some new encryption.

My thought is that the Priv get a lot of attention but doesn't sell so well VS expectations. So there plans for a new device is twisted. They have still stock with the leap and classic and passport runs out but a new device is to soon.

My opinion is still to get bold with two identical devices with full touch and suprise the world with android 6 and bbos12 with android runtime 6 to suprise everyone. People like new stuff and get wordt out about privacy and more secure. BBM more privacy to control and no storage's of you data for sale. Say it out loud.

They should make a last rush forward, because they are in the last trench and it's now or never. Will that fail then device's are dead for us consumers or only for goverment with buildin secusmart for around 2000 dollar.

I believe in a bold move with new stuff and bbos 12 with bes 12 sound good to sell goverment/enterpisse phone's with the same number. Give people apps permission and control and tell them. Get out of these trenches and fight back.

Advertise with stuff like here under :

BlackBerry devices are secure and gives you the privacy to control including apps permission. BBM is also give you control and doesn't storage or sell your information like other populair social media. We protecting goverments, enterprisse's and you when you buy the new BlackBerry Apollo or Artemis.

Whatever get out of the trench and suprise everyone with a quality phone.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by whatsever; 02-28-16 at 06:47 AM.
    02-28-16 02:06 AM
    Hear me out.

That was Chen's mission from the outset. He has been successful based on your posting.
    02-28-16 07:39 AM
    And the Passport still launched at $699 USD. When they lowered the price to $599 three months later, the darn thing sold out on Shop BlackBerry with the quickness. For what it is worth, the 808s and 810s were announced by Qualcomm in April 2014. The Passport was released in June 2014. I could be wrong, but I don't think the 810s were released until July 2014. The Galaxy S5 also released with 801s, though. iirc, it launched in the U.S. for around $650 unlocked. Granted, hardware is more than the SoC, but to the Passport's defense it did launch with the best that was available at the time.
    The Passport launched on September 26 (or so) 2014.
    02-28-16 07:51 AM
    It's hard for BlackBerry to stand out in sea of Android devices, especially since most people seem to think that BlackBerry is dead or that the company is still making devices like the Curve and the Bold. Tech articles aren't helping either since so many of them always seem to be negative.

Could things have been different if they dropped development of BB10 prior to the Z10 and went with Android? Probably not, as the same perceptions about BlackBerry would have remained.

Posted via CB10
    02-29-16 07:57 AM
26 12