Hi guys, happy owner of a Blackberry Priv here.

I happen to get electric shocks when i'm charging my phone to an outlet.

Especially if i touch one of the corner or the sides of the phone.

Did it ever happen to anyone of you ?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-18-16 10:43 AM
    Just to complete. The shock is not like extremely strong, but strong enough to make me jerk back.

09-18-16 10:46 AM
    It might be wise to try a different charger and outlet... That's definitely not normal. Don't get killed or something.
    09-18-16 10:48 AM
    I agree with Mirko935. Get a new charger.

Getting shocks through the phone is almost certainly a result of a defective charger.
    09-18-16 10:52 AM
    Thanks for the answers guys. I tried with different chargers already. It happens each time.

09-18-16 11:02 AM
    Your phone is incapable of producing enough voltage to shock you... period. It is either the charger or the electrical outlet. If neither of those work then this post is bull****.

acermark and andy957 like this.
    09-18-16 11:21 AM
    Your phone is incapable of producing enough voltage to shock you... period. It is either the charger or the electrical outlet. If neither of those work then this post is bull****.

Calm down... geez.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-16 11:33 AM
    Were you touching any conductive material which is in connection with earth? For example were you going bare feed on a tile floor at the time?

Posted from my  Passport
    09-18-16 11:53 AM
    Hi guys, happy owner of a Blackberry Priv here.

I happen to get electric shocks when i'm charging my phone to an outlet.

Especially if i touch one of the corner or the sides of the phone.

Did it ever happen to anyone of you ?

NOT normal and not safe.

Blackberry Support 1-866-533-8067
    0800-141-3330 (UK)
    09-18-16 12:24 PM
    Never hapened to me and I use quick charger
    09-18-16 12:38 PM
    Static shock?

1122334455667788 likes this.
    09-18-16 01:42 PM
    Static shock?

I think that's what he's referring to.
    09-18-16 01:42 PM
    Thanks for the answers guys. I tried with different chargers already. It happens each time.

Have you tried different outlets?

FWIW if an outlet is wired up backwards it could lead to shocks when using some (older) equipment. This should not affect cellphone chargers or any other modern gear made in the last decade, but it's something that happened now and then in the past.

If all your chargers are causing shocks, that sounds like you've either got a lot of bad chargers, or there's something else going on.

Whatever it is, it has to be external from the phone -- coming through the charger. As bigjsmashman said, there simply isn't anything in the phone itself capable of producing enough voltage to deliver even a mild shock.

(ok if you shorted the battery on your tongue you'd feel that... )
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    09-18-16 03:29 PM
    It sounds like it is a wiring problem with the outlet you are using.
    I suggest you get an outlet tester like this one to check for reversed wiring or a missing neutral or ground connection: http://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-An...Meter/50129726
    09-18-16 04:23 PM
    Thanks for the help guys. On a carpet floor. Yes, it mostly occurs if i happen to be touching the sides of my computer as well. I'm gonna check the tester you recommended.

09-19-16 06:14 AM
    Thanks for the help guys. On a carpet floor. Yes, it mostly occurs if i happen to be touching the sides of my computer as well. I'm gonna check the tester you recommended.

Sounds to me as though it could be an earthing problem in your home.

The house I'm in now, which we reno'd had an issue where you would get a electric tingling feeling in the shower if you touched the tapware. This only happened if the air con was on, or the oven, dishwasher etc. Even a hair dryer being on would cause it. We had to end up getting a second earth installed. Has since fixed those problems.

BlackBerry PRIV STV100-1 6.0.1
    Classic SQC100-1/10.3.2.2876
    FF22, BB-JAM215, WT44 and 1 others like this.
    09-19-16 06:41 AM
    Sounds to me as though it could be an earthing problem in your home.

BlackBerry PRIV STV100-1 6.0.1
    Classic SQC100-1/10.3.2.2876
    This, OP.
    Or to better describe, the negative wire in your house, or at least from the socket in use, can't work sufficiently. This can happen due to a number of reasons, include earthing. And a new good earthing line would normally help.
    I assume that you had try not only different chargers but different cable as well.
    BTW you may like to check the power line in your house. That may help saving the power bill a bit. I guess you will need some help to do this.

09-19-16 10:50 AM
    I noticed a very slight electric shock or possibly just a vibration felt only with the sensitive skin on the side of my thumb from the metal surround to my BlackBerry Passport. After trying different household power outlets on different circuits, different cables and different chargers including the one that came with the phone, I came to the conclusion that it occurred only when the phone was sitting and charging in the BlackBerry Sync Pod style cradle Model EP40636 and was only perceivable when the thumb was actually moving in contact with the metal surround to the phone. As far as I can see, the cradle is just a fancy connector not an electrical transformer (input = output). I'm puzzled but not worried.
    09-19-16 01:07 PM

It surely is an earthing problem. I had this at my place where I would get a "just" perceptible shock if I touched any metallic part of the phone / computer case / dvd writer chassis etc. Just get the earthing checked quickly - would be a major problem if a larger current leaks through other devices like microwave / washing machines - which pull much more amperes than smartphones / computers. Good luck and stay safe buddy...
    09-19-16 01:42 PM
    It surely is an earthing problem. I had this at my place where I would get a "just" perceptible shock if I touched any metallic part of the phone / computer case / dvd writer chassis etc. Just get the earthing checked quickly - would be a major problem if a larger current leaks through other devices like microwave / washing machines - which pull much more amperes than smartphones / computers. Good luck and stay safe buddy...
    Also, in the event of a power service outage or momentary interruption there is a much greater chance of causing damage to computers, TVs, etc., even though most devices now are well protected against power surges by design.
    09-19-16 01:57 PM
    Does it shock you twice if you immediately touch it again? If not the probably static.

DaFoxGrey likes this.
    09-19-16 02:33 PM
    Definitely try a different charger and outlet! Better to be safe.
    09-19-16 04:06 PM
    It's like totally crazy...you know since the S7 explosion issue Privs have been running much hotter and even giving people shocks while charging. It's really weird. It's like that ad that shows it blasting off like a rocket was some kind of prophecy

Posted via BlackBerry Priv STV100-1
    Attached Thumbnails electric shock while charging the phone-30812.jpg  
    09-19-16 08:05 PM
    Strange...might be one off...BlackBerry hardware is generally good

Posted via CB10
    09-20-16 02:36 AM
    It's pretty normal I would say. It works like the wireless charger where a current is generated when a loop of wire is put into a electromagnetic field. For the wireless charger, the electromagnetic field is created by the charging plate on which the phone is placed.

For most if not all things run on electrical power, an electromagnetic field is generated when it is working, or charging in the case of this phone. The metal casing make a loop to catch this power. In the case of the Priv, the metal bezel makes an excellent loop. If you touch it when your body is connect to earth directly or indirectly, the loop is completed and a current flows through your body. Hence the tingling electrical shock.
    This happens to your phone, TV, tablets, radio, and so on, given the metal casing/bezels. If you don't feel it, it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. But the reasons could be the generated current is too weak, or the skin part in contact is too thick and dry thus resisting the current, or you're not earthed as you are on carpet, wearing shoes....which are pretty good insulating materials and prevent a complete loop.

I guess that as long as it's only a tingling sensation, there isn't much to worry about.

Last edited by littlebuff; 09-20-16 at 07:24 AM.
    09-20-16 06:43 AM
28 12