My AT&T Priv came with an unlock code. It was one for the eBay 299 ones.

If I unlock the phone will this enable me to use autoloaders and receive the zero days security updates?

If so, is there any downside for the AT&T enhancements (enhanced LTE/HD voice is the only one I care about)?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android (Priv)
    07-31-16 10:36 PM
    No. That code is for carrier Unlocking. You are still and always will be stuck to AT&T for updates.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Priv
    07-31-16 11:03 PM
    I welcome your answer but the answer is an unwelcome one.

Thanks .

Sigh.

hamilgs likes this.
    07-31-16 11:05 PM
    Sorry man.

07-31-16 11:09 PM
    BlackBerry must find a solution to liberate the AT&T Privs (and Verizon). They should have it done like it was on BB10; it updated based on the Sim card.
    07-31-16 11:11 PM
    I agree.

AT&T again ****S BlackBerry owners. The zero day update is what makes it the "most secure android phone".

07-31-16 11:12 PM
    I agree.

AT&T again ****S BlackBerry owners. The zero day update is what makes it the "most secure android phone".

Can't you accept "semi-secure" when they get around to it? Or in the Verizon vernacular - SOON!
    08-01-16 12:23 AM
    Oh, I can accept full on insecure. That's what my last android phone was. But that's why I carried two phones (a Passport for work and an Android for a few apps and everything else).

AT&T and VZW could fairly be accused of ruining BlackBerry... dating back several years. What a cluster-F.

BlackBerry just needs to step outside of carrier channels like Motorola, Nexus, and even Apple has started to do, among dozens of others.

08-01-16 12:34 AM
    Oh, I can accept full on insecure. That's what my last android phone was. But that's why I carried two phones (a Passport for work and an Android for a few apps and everything else).

AT&T and VZW could fairly be accused of ruining BlackBerry... dating back several years. What a cluster-F.

BlackBerry just needs to step outside of carrier channels like Motorola, Nexus, and even Apple has started to do, among dozens of others.

You say that as if they aren't already selling unlocked direct from manufacture devices.

sure CDMA needs a special unit because they mainly make GSM only unlocked devices.

As far as "timely" "security" be real....get over yourself, you're not that important nor is the content on your device....look around you....don't be na�ve.....if someone wants to hack you it can be done. It's not that serious. I didnt get a Priv for "security" I also don't blame VerHizon or AT&FEE for BlackBerry... I blame BlackBerry for resting on their laurels. As a consumer "I" choose what devices to support by my dollar.

I don't like carriers interfering with software updates and bloatware. Easy. I carry a Nexus. I got tired of Samsung slow updates. I stopped buying their devices. I don't care about the false sense of security that is a monthly security patch...I'm not a part of the 1%.... I don't have anything on my device that I wouldn't want my worst enemy to see. If work files get hacked, oh well, if my financial get hacked. Oh well ill just get a new social. Whats all this "security" people are so credulous in thinking exist.....wake up

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-01-16 03:07 AM
    Wow. You have no idea who I am, what I do, whether I am a 1 %r (which is irrelevant anyway), what personal and professional reasons I have to value privacy and security, what I have invested in the BlackBerry brand, or how important or unimportant I am. I'm having a hard time imagining why you have anything to do with BlackBerry if you place no emphasis on security and see no value in zero day updates, which is a cornerstone of BlackBerry's new marketing. You carry a Nexus, have been a member here exactly one year, and post at nearly 3am Central on a Sunday night? We don't swim in the same waters.

Try to resist your troll tendencies.

Last edited by CharlieV; 08-01-16 at 07:28 AM.
    08-01-16 06:42 AM
    Wow. You have no idea who I am, what I do, whether I am a 1 %r (which is irrelevant anyway), what personal and professional reasons I have to value privacy and security, what I have invested in the BlackBerry brand, or how important or unimportant I am. I'm having a hard time imagining why you have anything to do with BlackBerry if you place no emphasis on security and see no value in zero day updates, which is a cornerstone of BlackBerry's new marketing. You carry a Nexus, have been a member here exactly one year, and post at nearly 3am Central on a Sunday night? We don't swim in the same waters.

Try to resist your troll tendencies.

Correct....... I don't swim in public pools. The tenure of this account is irrelevant and isn't indicative of my time on this site nor does that matter......my response still stands, you only further validated my points in your missive....carry on importantly.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-02-16 07:19 AM
    On cue, failed to resist troll tendencies.

08-02-16 08:48 AM
    No. That code is for carrier Unlocking. You are still and always will be stuck to AT&T for updates.

Another "stupid" question (the OP question wasn't stupid, but I think mine might be)...

I bought the same Priv. I've used it for a while. If I want to use that unlock code now, do I lose my data or is the unlock simply that, i.e., an unlock alone without any erasure?

Thanks.

via Priv
    08-02-16 10:12 AM
    Another "stupid" question (the OP question wasn't stupid, but I think mine might be)...

I bought the same Priv. I've used it for a while. If I want to use that unlock code now, do I lose my data or is the unlock simply that, i.e., an unlock alone without any erasure?

Thanks.

via Priv
    The latter, if my experience with a Canadian Priv is any indication.
    08-02-16 10:14 AM
    The latter, if my experience with a Canadian Priv is any indication.
    So I lose nothing. Thanks, I appreciate the assistance.

via Priv
    08-02-16 11:14 AM
    So I lose nothing. Thanks, I appreciate the assistance.

via Priv
    Not stupid. Better safe than sorry. Using a carrier unlock code should not wipe anything.

08-02-16 12:29 PM
    Please post your experience unlocking. I think I'll follow you in that.

When I unlocked my Note 4 it didn't affect anything.

08-02-16 01:04 PM

SIM unlocking never affects anything unless you have a fruit on the back of your phone. They decided to go with their own SIM locking system which requires a wired connection to a desktop to call home and wiping the phone.
    08-03-16 06:19 AM

I requested and received (third time was the charm) an unlock code from AT&T - no data loss. Very easy to do once I got a non-AT&T sim.
    08-03-16 10:12 AM