what are the implications? is additional/different hardware required? Would it gobble up resources such as processor speed, memory etc.? Do you end up with a partitioned phone, not achieving the optimum in either OS?
    09-19-15 10:26 AM
    I don't think its something to worry about. There is nothing out there showing any indication that this will be a dual boot device. People just need to accept the fact that its an Android phone.
    09-19-15 10:32 AM
    It's not a dual boot device. So don't need to worry about it period.
    09-19-15 10:37 AM
    Haven't you heard? BlackBerry is not making a dual boot device.
    09-19-15 10:41 AM
    what are the implications? is additional/different hardware required? Would it gobble up resources such as processor speed, memory etc.? Do you end up with a partitioned phone, not achieving the optimum in either OS?
    The issue seems to be one about legal issues. For BlackBerry to have the Google Play store (and hence all the apps consumers demand), they must sign a contract with Google. This contract will almost certainly demand that this phone will not be dual boot.

BlackBerry would of course love it to be dual boot, so customers could try BB10 if they suddenly felt like it, but there is little chance they could, as other companies have tried to sell dual-boot devices and failed (Google didn't allow it).
    anon4226395 likes this.
    09-19-15 10:44 AM
    no, I'm curious as to what the implications/difficulties of making a dual boot device. I'm totally comfortable about android and unless there's a nasty surprise up ahead, I totally intend to be front of the line-up on day one [BOX][/BOX]
    ayngling likes this.
    09-19-15 10:48 AM
    Thanks for the explanation Ayngling. So its a licensing issue. Shame ! But lets hope this concept gets some traction in the future.
    09-19-15 11:03 AM
    Thanks for the explanation Ayngling. So its a licensing issue. Shame ! But lets hope this concept gets some traction in the future.
    My pleasure Indeed, let's hope a newfound popularity can make it viable for BlackBerry to slowly make BB10 popular. I am not sure, but they may be allowed to sell the same phone with another OS (from, say, their web store), for people who want BB10. Dual-boot would be much better, but at least that would give people a way to keep using BB10 with top of the line hardware.
    09-19-15 11:41 AM
    In the end the issues are mainly legal, not technical. Microsoft was rumored to be interested a dual boot ROM option to allow Android phone users to be able to try the Microsoft Phone OS and encourage them to switch to it. A phone was demonstrated in China that could do this, but it hasn't gone past that.

In order to produce a Google Android phone manufactures must belong to the OHA (Open Handset Alliance). Members of the OHA, are not allow to sell a phone that is not Google Android, including non Google versions of Android and any other phone OS.

So far we haven't heard that BlackBerry is a member of the OHA, but the assumption is they will have to be in order to sell the Google Android Venice slider. This also implies that there will be no more BlackBerry 10 OS phones manufactured.
    09-19-15 02:55 PM
    If the bootloader is unlocked and root gained you'll be able to use MultiROM if someone ports it over. Does that count?
    09-19-15 02:59 PM
    In order to produce a Google Android phone manufactures must belong to the OHA (Open Handset Alliance). Members of the OHA, are not allow to sell a phone that is not Google Android, including non Google versions of Android and any other phone OS.
    Actually they can sell Google approved Android and phones containing any other OS as long as the other OS doesn't contain Android code. That's why last year HTC also launched a WIndows 8 version of HTC one M8.
    09-19-15 03:02 PM
    Members of the OHA, are not allow to sell a phone that is not Google Android, including non Google versions of Android and any other phone OS.
    I am not sure this is true. They may not put more than one OS on a phone (i.e. dual boot), and I am not sure whether they can sell the same type of phone with a choice of OS, but I believe a manufacturer can sell phones with different OSes. LG has this while they still do Android: LG Lancet Windows Phone 8.1 Smartphone With Snapdragon 410 SoC Launched | NDTV Gadgets
    Soulstream likes this.
    09-19-15 03:09 PM
    Actually they can sell Google approved Android and phones containing any other OS as long as the other OS doesn't contain Android code. That's why last year HTC also launched a WIndows 8 version of HTC one M8.
    I stand corrected. The issue then for BlackBerry is that they will not be able to make any new phones which contain the Android Runtime. This is what BB 10.3.3 is rumored to be for.
    09-19-15 03:15 PM
    Not a single leak of venice with bb10. There will not be a dual boot option.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 03:22 PM
    I stand corrected. The issue then for BlackBerry is that they will not be able to make any new phones which contain the Android Runtime. This is what BB 10.3.3 is rumored to be for.
    Yes, this is indeed a downside. But, I feel BlackBerry's plan is to sell Secured Android + BES12 to everyone who wants BYOD, and BB10 (with no android runtime) to anyone needing ultra-secure certified COBO (which will not run leisure apps anyway).

When people realise BlackBerry is not going out of business any time soon they may over time convince or bribe developers to make native BB10 apps, and slowly convert people over.
    anon4226395 likes this.
    09-19-15 03:25 PM