Hi!

Just recently gotten a PRIV and I'm a bit gazumped by the Dtekt app.

My 'understanding' was that this would be able to tell you when features (I.e location, file permissions, mic, camera etc..) have been ran/used.
    I've downloaded a barcode scanner which obv uses the camera, but no log happened to advise a 'Features' had been ran. Am I missing something?
    Cheers

Duffy

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Attached Thumbnails Dtekt - defunct more like....-233.jpg  
    02-08-16 06:16 AM
    And pic to confirm camera in action BTW.

Attached Thumbnails Dtekt - defunct more like....-232.jpg  
    02-08-16 06:18 AM
    Can someone with a Priv please try to reproduce this?
    02-08-16 03:01 PM
    It alerts you when the app accesses something without your knowing, or by your action.
    Telling an app to do something doesn't count.
    Last edited by GeneralHerzog; 02-08-16 at 03:24 PM.
    02-08-16 03:11 PM
    It alerts you when the app accesses something without your knowing, or by your action.
    Telling an app to do something doesn't count.
    Not really. I have an app that I used to locate friends around me and when I use this function Dtek reports it.

02-08-16 11:12 PM
    DTEK works exactly like BlackBerry intended it to work.

mister2d likes this.
    02-09-16 05:39 PM
    Hi!

Just recently gotten a PRIV and I'm a bit gazumped by the Dtekt app.

My 'understanding' was that this would be able to tell you when features (I.e location, file permissions, mic, camera etc..) have been ran/used.
    I've downloaded a barcode scanner which obv uses the camera, but no log happened to advise a 'Features' had been ran. Am I missing something?
    Cheers

Duffy

You have to tell DTEK that you want to be alerted: Settings > Notifications > adjust details per app or for all apps.

Last edited by MPG Vancouver; 02-09-16 at 09:24 PM.
    02-09-16 05:57 PM
    I will check on this with the DTEK team. It's possible only photo taking or video recording is logged, and not just viewfinder. Or as others mentioned, maybe you need to configure something.
    02-09-16 11:06 PM
    I just want the ability to disable/uninstall it.

All it does is sick battery in the background , I don't use it.

When we finally get 6.0, I'll manually disable permissions.

Or ya know, make it so we can disable them now. You have a custom launcher anyway, and other OEMs let you do it.

Posted via -sigh- Priv. Guess we have to get used to Android guys....
    02-09-16 11:13 PM
    When we finally get 6.0, I'll manually disable permissions
    Hopefully that will not be allowed.
    02-09-16 11:56 PM
    Hopefully that will not be allowed.
    Why not? It's a feature of 6.0, and even if blackberry would go so far as to disable it, why not?

Why does Facebook need my location or microphone? Why does snapchat need access to my contacts?

Hell, I want them to add MORE permission disabling.

I want to be able to disable permissions for apps to access the Internet, and to disable them of running in the background.

Cheap Chinese phones can do it, why not BlackBerry?

I'm fact the fact I can't do it is mildly insulting and if they don't do it, I'll be buying something else next time.

02-10-16 12:20 AM
    when I was using my priv I found detek not much use
    02-10-16 06:03 AM
    You have to tell DTEK that you want to be alerted: Settings > Notifications > adjust details per app or for all apps.

Have just tried this again and had no notifications appear.

Attached Thumbnails Dtekt - defunct more like....-348.jpg  
    02-10-16 10:32 AM
    And apologies, I now realise that in my excitement to post my first CB post I called it Dtekt, my bad - spot the n00b

Duffy

02-10-16 10:35 AM
    I am using a PRIV

02-10-16 10:36 AM
    I will check on this with the DTEK team. It's possible only photo taking or video recording is logged, and not just viewfinder. Or as others mentioned, maybe you need to configure something.
    This appears the be the case presently. It only tracks if photos are captured or video is recorded, and not just an idle viewfinder. We will address this in an update. Thanks!
    Gatmyer and gizmo21 like this.
    02-10-16 10:43 AM
    This appears the be the case presently. It only tracks if photos are captured or video is recorded, and not just an idle viewfinder. We will address this in an update. Thanks!
    Brilliant! There's a couple of other 'vulnerabilites' that I've uncovered in terms of perception of security, I'll keep snooping.

Out of interest does BlackBerry run a bugbounty?

02-10-16 10:58 AM
    Why not? It's a feature of 6.0, and even if blackberry would go so far as to disable it, why not?

Why does Facebook need my location or microphone? Why does snapchat need access to my contacts?

Hell, I want them to add MORE permission disabling.

I want to be able to disable permissions for apps to access the Internet, and to disable them of running in the background.

Cheap Chinese phones can do it, why not BlackBerry?

I'm fact the fact I can't do it is mildly insulting and if they don't do it, I'll be buying something else next time.

Sounds like you need to go back to BB10 or one of those cheap Chinese phones because the whole idea of the Priv was to make have more perceived security than other Android phones and by encrypting the phone by default and having Detek is a step in the right direction imo.
    02-10-16 12:52 PM
    I like DTEK cos I like to see what apps are doing things they shouldn't. I had the daily mail app installed for instance, why did they need to know my location 13,000+ times in one week? That was uninstalled FAST!

DTEK is a great tool, I just wish I could make apps not do certain things like see location ect.
    02-10-16 02:00 PM

Facebook needs location for status updates, and microphone for voice messages in the messaging app.

Snapchat needs contacts to communicate with your contacts. It's quite simple. The permissions dialog is just there for transparency, not necessarily security.
    02-10-16 02:55 PM
    Facebook needs location for status updates, and microphone for voice messages in the messaging app.

Snapchat needs contacts to communicate with your contacts. It's quite simple. The permissions dialog is just there for transparency, not necessarily security.
    Yeah, I know that. The point is, I don't want it to have access to those.

I want to be able to block permissions, and I want them to be blocked well, which means they can't access them thereby saving battery, rather than giving them fake info.

Honestly, I'm starting to consider an iPhone. It's actually more secure than the Priv, and can tell apps to get bent.

02-10-16 03:32 PM
    I want to be able to block permissions, and I want them to be blocked well, which means they can't access them thereby saving battery, rather than giving them fake info.
    The apps can't function without the permissions.
    02-10-16 04:00 PM
    The apps can't function without the permissions.
    If they're probably coded they can.

Ios does it, bb10 does it, and even android 6.0 can do it.

If the app crashes because of that, it's badly coded and I don't know if I want to use it anyway.

02-10-16 08:10 PM
    If they're probably coded they can.

Ios does it, bb10 does it, and even android 6.0 can do it.

If the app crashes because of that, it's badly coded and I don't know if I want to use it anyway.
    actually, android just refuses to install it if you want to reject anything. with the permissions models in Marshmallow, app developers have to get better at handling situations where users only grant partial permissions. they can decide to deal with it anywhere along the spectrum of "work as good as possible" to "just shut down and refuse to run".
    02-10-16 08:33 PM
    I love DTEK. I checked on my apps and deleted a few after noticing their unacceptable behavior. Like this:

Posted from my BlackBerry Priv
    Attached Thumbnails Dtekt - defunct more like....-screenshot_2015-12-15-23-43-40.jpg  
    buwee and blambtn like this.
    02-10-16 09:26 PM
32 12