Always before, the Priv security status (as reported by DTEK) was "good". The red area is "Operating System Integrity" Message is "OS has been modified by other S/W. To protect your device data, back up your device and then perform a factory reset." DTEK provides no other more specific advice, sigh.

Anyone else gotten that message just after the recent DTEK upgrade? "Back up" is not an easy thing to do now that BB has left us without a good easy solution.

Please advise
    10-24-17 01:17 PM
    Yeah, just ignore it. Dtek doesn't actually do anything except freak people out.

Use it to set your permissions... and that's all about it's useful for.
    anon(8679041) likes this.
    10-24-17 01:19 PM
    On my Priv it works fine, no such a message. BUT: The security patch level is September 5th😡😠👹
    10-24-17 01:59 PM
    same issue here.
    10-24-17 02:04 PM
    Just finished the update for Dtek and the rest of the Blackberry apps pack. Dtek status- Excellent. Security patch 5th September.
    10-24-17 03:32 PM
    Always before, the Priv security status (as reported by DTEK) was "good". The red area is "Operating System Integrity" Message is "OS has been modified by other S/W. To protect your device data, back up your device and then perform a factory reset." DTEK provides no other more specific advice, sigh.

Anyone else gotten that message just after the recent DTEK upgrade? "Back up" is not an easy thing to do now that BB has left us without a good easy solution.

Please advise
    same issue here.
    A factory reset doesn't take much time, and it's the only way you can be sure that your system hasn't been compromised. A new algorithm in the update may have found something that the old version couldn't.

Contrary to some people's opinions *cough*, DTEK has real value, and I wouldn't ignore it.
    BBeast and anon(2695703) like this.
    10-24-17 03:38 PM
    A factory reset doesn't take much time, and it's the only way you can be sure that your system hasn't been compromised. A new algorithm in the update may have found something that the old version couldn't.

Contrary to some people's opinions *cough*, DTEK has real value, and I wouldn't ignore it.
    If you have something to say to me, then say it directly.

Also, show me some proof that Dtek actually does anything. What does it catch, and how does it display it in a different way other than a false positive?
    10-24-17 04:12 PM
    If you have something to say to me, then say it directly.

Also, show me some proof that Dtek actually does anything. What does it catch, and how does it display it in a different way other than a false positive?
    Relax. I thought I was being funny.

Anyhow, your position involves either a conspiracy of misdirection or an example of total ineptitude on behalf of BlackBerry.

I will give the excellent BlackBerry developers the benefit of the doubt, and assume the BlackBerry Integrity Detection technology does what they say it does - chksum of system files, and other real-time monitoring of app/system behaviour.

In a complex system such as this, false positives are always a possibility, but that's far better than the alternative. Better to be safe than sorry.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    10-24-17 04:18 PM
    Relax. I thought I was being funny.

Anyhow, your position involves either a conspiracy of misdirection or an example of total ineptitude on behalf of BlackBerry.

I will give the excellent BlackBerry developers the benefit of the doubt, and assume the BlackBerry Integrity Detection technology does what they say it does - chksum of system files, and other real-time monitoring of app/system behaviour.

In a complex system such as this, false positives are always a possibility, but that's far better than the alternative. Better to be safe than sorry.
    Well, I agree with the total ineptitude part.

I don't think Dtek does anything. At least not anything important.

They should have just called it "Blackberry Antivirus" to rest everyone's heads. At least it has system access.
    10-24-17 04:26 PM
    Well, I agree with the total ineptitude part.

I don't think Dtek does anything. At least not anything important.

They should have just called it "Blackberry Antivirus" to rest everyone's heads. At least it has system access.
    No security expert has ever come out and claimed BlackBerry Integrity Detection and Samsung Knox Integrity Detection was a lie. BlackBerry Android I.D. is just more aggressive than Knox's implementation.

It represents one of many important security layers on the device. Encryption, kernel hardening, locked bootloader, hardware root of trust, Integrity Detection, Play Protect, etc. all form part of a whole.

"BlackBerry Integrity Detection uses an application in the BlackBerry Secure Compound to provide a trust anchor and generate integrity reports. These reports are digitally signed with ECC-256 and backed by a certificate that chains up to a BlackBerry Certificate Authority, allowing third-party Enterprise Mobility Management solutions and monitoring apps to verify their authenticity. BlackBerry Integrity Detection integrates seamlessly with the new Good Secure EMM Suites and BES12, allowing IT administrators to monitor for rooted and jailbroken devices. If a potential compromise is detected, administrators can configure alerts, prevent the device from accessing the corporate network, or even remotely wipe the device.

You can also verify BlackBerry Integrity Detection yourself through the preloaded DTEK app – simply look for the green checkmark beside “Operating system integrity”."
    Last edited by conite; 10-24-17 at 04:42 PM.
    10-24-17 04:27 PM
    The only way to fix the message is to do a factory reset. If you do not have any apps in doubt installed I would ignore the message.

There is a official open bug report from BlackBerry about this false positive.

It isn't the version of DTEK either, I updatet to the last version on my KEYone and it is currently still 'green'.

I did two factory resets because of this, though. All setups with the same apps and same user behaviour. Took different amount of time to report bad status and it is ok for weeks now. From my experience plus the open bug report given it is 'random' behaviour which is likely to occur hours, days or weeks later again.
    10-24-17 04:50 PM
    Well I would really like to agree with you conite but BlackBerry has proven themselves that DTEK is a bit too over enthusiastic some times. Some months ago when MANY complaint about OS integrity error they said one whole month that it could only be handled by factory reset - (which is I think not a walk in the park, as you most certainly lose some data which you just didn't thought of making a backup, or syncs back not the way it was) - but one month later they presented a DTEK update that healed that error without doing anything than updating the app. It was like that in my personal case.

So I would for now ignore it if you didn't do anything else other that updating DTEK and wait for at least next update.

BTW they still do not mention in the app what file integrity check fails exactly, which would make comparing messages from user-to-user more easily and report back an false alarm to BlackBerry or otherwise even warn others from installing an intrusive app or entering an invasive Service code.

The way it is implemented now, it is a time&money-burning machine for end-users with no way of knowing if there really is a problem (at least for the part of the OS integrity check).
    Last edited by gizmo21; 10-24-17 at 05:10 PM.
    10-24-17 04:57 PM
    Well I would really like to agree with you conite but BlackBerry has proven themselves that DTEK is a bit too over enthusiastic some times. Some months ago when MANY complaint about OS integrity error they said one whole month that it could only be handled by factory reset - (which is I think not a walk in the park, as you most certainly lose some data which you just didn't thought of making a backup, or syncs back not the way it was) - but one month later they presented a DTEK update that healed that error without doing anything than updating the app. It was like that in my personal case.

So I would for now ignore it if you didn't do anything else other that updating DTEK and wait for at least next update.

BTW they still do not mention in the app what file integrity check fails exactly, which would make comparing messages from user-to-user more easily and report back an false alarm to BB.

The way it is implemented now, it is a time&money-burning machine for end-users with no way of knowing if there really is a problem (at least for the part of the OS integrity check).
    It is certainly an aggressive and complex system that will generate false positives from time to time (although I haven't got one since the launch of the Priv 2 years ago, or on any of the other BlackBerry Android devices since).

One of the OS and/or DTEK versions some time ago, had a more widespread bug as you mentioned.

It comes down to your comfort level and how risk averse you are.

Factory resets are getting easier and faster by the day though, as more developers get on board.
    10-24-17 05:11 PM
    ugh, I just did the update and I'm getting the same 'poor ' rating now too. It had always been 'excellent.'
    10-24-17 07:43 PM
    ugh, I just did the update and I'm getting the same 'poor ' rating now too. It had always been 'excellent.'
    Did you also update the DTEK app today?

Version 1.1.6.449.
    10-24-17 10:03 PM
    yes
    10-24-17 10:14 PM
    yes
    Have to received the October patch?
    10-24-17 10:31 PM
    After updating DTEK app, I have now went from excellent to poor rating also.

DTEK is the only app update that I had done when this occurred.

I haven't received any system updates for October yet.
    Last edited by Mrs C 2017; 10-25-17 at 12:12 PM.
    10-24-17 11:21 PM
    After updating DTEK app, I have now went from excellent to poor rating also. I haven't received any system updates for October yet.
    Maybe that's the issue. The app and the update may go hand in hand.

I got the OS update first, so that may be why I have no problem.
    10-24-17 11:29 PM
    I'm thinking you might be correct. I hope so.
    10-24-17 11:49 PM
    I repeat myself by saying wait at least for the next DTEK update or what bb has to say before taking the odds of a factory reset.
    @LiamQ @mrbbsecurity could you please investigate that one - seems a big coincidence that already 4 affected forumusers are writing here on the day of app release.

Perhaps it helps if all the users affected since updating the DTEK app post their details:
    Device: (Priv STV100-?)
    DTEK: (version)

---
    Fun fact: If you see it from a security standpoint, all our devices are really not secure atm as non of them got a patch from WPA KRACK attack so far, but I guess that is not what BB want to tell us here
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    10-25-17 12:46 AM
    DTEK app details:
    Device STV100-4
    DTEK ver. 1.1.6.449
    OS Build number AAO484
    10-25-17 01:17 AM
    DTEK 1.1.6.449
    device BBB 100-3V04
    OS Build#AAP494
    os compromised! never was like this before-since update to dtek or perhaps since Sept patch recd in October of due to Sprint being late! this app needs to be fixed!
    10-25-17 06:10 AM
    Factory Unlocked,
    STV100-1,
    Patch Level: Sept. 5,
    Build: AA0484,
    DTEK: 1.1.6.449
    10-25-17 06:26 AM

Please advise
    I had that with the September update for K1. I ended up just doing a factory reset.
    10-25-17 06:31 AM
109 123 ...