Some people are just never happy. I bet facebook doesn't even launch without location services on android 6, will you say android 6 is useless then?
    Facebook works just fine on iOS without location services, don't see why that would differ on Android.
    11-08-15 01:37 PM
    DTek says picture password is less secure than a regular password that people can see while you type. :-)

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    It is less secure as explained by Jerry Hildebrand on the Android Central podcast , picture password offers a limited amount of possible passwords while a traditional password offers exponentially more possible passwords and is by definition more secure.
    11-08-15 01:44 PM
    Yeah but it's only showing you this information, it can't do anything about it aside from you un-installing the app.

It's tantamount to saying "This phone is based on Privacy and although we can't stop your privacy from being breached we will show you that it is in fact being breached.". What's the point?

It's the same with the chrome browser. How many people will know that unless they get into the settings of the browser to turn off tracking then Chrome is mining your data every time you use it. And you can turn that off in any Android phone so I don't see what's special about DTEK. For a phone based on Privacy I don't see what it's doing to protect it besides showing you that you don't have any Privacy.
    Just return the priv and use a galaxy or iphone and be done with. It seems it is not made for you. Not every phone works for everyone.
    11-08-15 01:48 PM
    It is less secure as explained by Jerry Hildebrand on the Android Central podcast , picture password offers a limited amount of possible passwords while a traditional password offers exponentially more possible passwords and is by definition more secure.
    The math doesn't add up in the practical sense. Combinations don't tell the whole story. Anyone can look over your shoulder a few times (suspicious significant other for example) and pickup on the PIN you enter to unlock the phone, or a semi-expert can spray that stuff that make fingerprints so visible and discern the keys used. But picture password? You got 10 tries before the device's data is erased. And looking over the shoulder won't get it done either.
    CeCoQ likes this.
    11-08-15 01:48 PM
    And in BB10, you think the apps were NOT accessing your location? Just because there was no app like DTEK to tell you so?

It would be a bit naive to say that you are not tracked on BB10.
    I absolutely know they were. I just don't think a phone can market itself as based on Privacy when it running Android OS.
    ssbtech likes this.
    11-08-15 02:01 PM
    What are you saying? So if you download a flashlight app and dtek tells you 'hey this thing is accessing your location and your contacts 100 times a day' wouldn't you be suspicious and get rid of that app?

Dtek is only as smart as its users. It's not some kind of magical firewall. It's an advisor for you to decide who should be allowed to invade your privacy.

The only reason you all say it's 'useless' is because you see big apps like fb or twitter taking your location 500 times a day and say 'well why won't it stop it'.
    The action is on you, you decide the action. If it bothers you, delete facebook or email them and ask them why they are raping your location services.

Some people are just never happy. I bet facebook doesn't even launch without location services on android 6, will you say android 6 is useless then?
    In that instance yes and as I said there I can see it being useful. But I am also realistic that BB can't do anything to stop your Privacy from being invaded and its a ridiculous notion to think that this phone is "secure" or "private" because BB is marketing it that way.
    11-08-15 02:03 PM
    OK Snapchat accessed my location 4058 times in 2 hours. How is that possible??
    Attached Thumbnails DTEK is really good-1447024814610.jpg  
    11-08-15 05:20 PM
    Dvasive is an app you might want to look into. I'm not saying it's better than dtek will be once marshmallow hits Priv but it DOES allow you to lock certain things down. I have it on my z30. It's available on amazon.

DTEK is really good-img_20151108_171435.png
    DTEK is really good-img_20151108_171414.png
    DTEK is really good-img_20151108_171149.png
    DTEK is really good-img_20151108_171121.png
    DTEK is really good-img_20151108_171112.png

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 05:29 PM
    OK Snapchat accessed my location 4058 times in 2 hours. How is that possible??
    I'm fairly certain something is not entirely right with how DTEK is calculating the number of times an app is accessing your location. As I said earlier, DTEK claims I had Twitter access my location over 1000 times in less than 24 hours, according to that indicator - yet when I tap on it for details, I can only find 161 instances. That's still a lot, but even those are all very odd. In a couple instances, Twitter supposedly retrieved my location four times in 2 seconds. That'd be highly wasteful coding if true. Something seems off.
    11-08-15 05:30 PM
    DTEK is really good-img_20151108_183051.png
    DTEK is really good-img_20151108_183104.png

Just started really letting this app do its thing and this is what it keeps showing. Tempted to unistall it.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 06:33 PM
    I'll be honest, it'd be nice if something like DTEK was available on BB10. At least I can turn off location permissions for apps though.
    11-08-15 07:14 PM
    I think sometimes it might not be your actual GPS location.

You location can also be tracked using your cell location.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 07:19 PM
    Yeah but it's only showing you this information, it can't do anything about it aside from you un-installing the app.

It's tantamount to saying "This phone is based on Privacy and although we can't stop your privacy from being breached we will show you that it is in fact being breached.". What's the point?

It's the same with the chrome browser. How many people will know that unless they get into the settings of the browser to turn off tracking then Chrome is mining your data every time you use it. And you can turn that off in any Android phone so I don't see what's special about DTEK. For a phone based on Privacy I don't see what it's doing to protect it besides showing you that you don't have any Privacy.
    You're missing the point. Yes, it is 'just information', but at least now you know, and you can take action yourself. As I understand it (as I haven't received it myself) you can disable which applications it monitors for this. You shouldn't really be surprised that Twitter/Facebook is accessing your location, so just disable reporting for that. But if you look at DTEK and see that something called xyz that you don't remember installing is accessing your location, or some store fidelity card app is accessing your contacts list, you can do something about it. It's maybe a bit gimmicky, but it's not "worthless".
    shivaji likes this.
    11-08-15 07:25 PM
    You're missing the point. Yes, it is 'just information', but at least now you know, and you can take action yourself. As I understand it (as I haven't received it myself) you can disable which applications it monitors for this. You shouldn't really be surprised that Twitter/Facebook is accessing your location, so just disable reporting for that. But if you look at DTEK and see that something called xyz that you don't remember installing is accessing your location, or some store fidelity card app is accessing your contacts list, you can do something about it. It's maybe a bit gimmicky, but it's not "worthless".
    No I totally get that. I'm just saying that what DTEK does is basically tell you that you don't have any privacy when using Android. I don't have a problem with that but it seems more like a marketing ploy to tell you that "Hey, we know that this is Android and your Privacy is being breached, and we are going to tell you about it." Again I can see it coming in handy when something like a flashlight app is tracking your location but common sense should really tell you that if you are looking for a specific app and the reviews are bad and its from a shady developer or not from the Google play store then its probably not a good idea to put it on your phone.
    11-08-15 07:30 PM
    It's better to not know. TMI. *crawl back into cave*
    11-10-15 01:51 PM
    IS DTEK showing the details of connections of the BlackBerry (Bloatware) Apps like Hub, Calendar, Contacts, etc. also?
    11-15-15 07:05 AM
    I have to agree with this. I think DTEK is an interesting idea with great potential, but BlackBerry needs to take it a step further - starting, first and foremost, with an update to Android M.
    We have had this in a different format for a very long time in BB10.
    You can check the wi-fi, cellular data, battery drain, amount of data uploaded, processor and memory use of every app installed on the phone. Unlike the Priv, on my Passport I can control those permissions, unless I install an android app (like skype) or android port app, which I don't.

As others have pointed out, for now, the greatest benefit, even for those who do not have a Priv, is that it makes more people aware, who were not otherwise concerned with lack of privacy or were not aware of what these apps do.

Dtek will educate more android app developers to program better and allow users to control the apps permissions, as BB10 developers have done for many years now.
    11-15-15 07:38 AM
    I have the twitter app on PP and can block location already now, but of course, not too sure if this really blocks and if they did try to get my location...

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 07:48 AM
    I have the twitter app on PP and can block location already now, but of course, not too sure if this really blocks and if they did try to get my location...

Posted via CB10
    You cannot be certain of anything when it comes to the company that developed the OS that you use on your phone. They can do pretty much anything they want on your phone...

I don't have twitter or linked-in or Facebook on my Passport, but there are a few apps (like Maps and Ambient Details) that I sometimes use that do need location.
    If I try to run those apps, they would complain and ask for location access.

Just as my bank website needs me to turn cookies on in my browser if I want to use it.
    When done, I turn cookies off again. I know it does not work when I turn cookies off, so things are verifiable in that case, too.

In fact, all apps should be like that. They should always ask you for permissions when you want to use them and, if you give them access for the time you are using them, they should automatically switch off that access (unless you set them up with permanent access) when you stop the app.
    11-15-15 08:23 AM
    I agree all apps should be asking, but also it seems they can detect where you are without gps ob, thought carrier data

Posted via CB10
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    11-15-15 10:13 AM
45 12